Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raceland 42 Sayre 27
Wow some of you are going after the player on this.
(11-18-2023, 01:00 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Wow some of you are going after the player on this.
Exactly!  coach was mouthing as he stood over him a few seconds too!  Watch the coaches upper body motion, he pushed him down.
Whether or not the kid from Raceland flopped is not important. That coach is an adult, he had absolutely no reason to touch an opposing player. He should have been the voice of reason and diffused the situation by stepping in between the Sayre players and the kid from Raceland. I won't as far to say he needs to never coach again, he could be a good guy and severely messed up. He definitely should have consequences placed upon him.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Anyone else baffled by the fact that when the incident occurred not a single coach reacted to it?
(11-18-2023, 12:13 PM)i82much Wrote:
(11-18-2023, 07:13 AM)Westside Wrote: https://www.facebook.com/story.php/?id=100065648673154&story_fbid=681221517409465

I watched this dozens of times this morning. I paused, played, paused, played, etc.. for an hour or more trying to go frame by frame and tried to look at it objectively.  As the inertia from the coach first began pulling the young man to the right the player bends his right knee in an upward motion and goes down. (At that instant there was no foot or anything else that could've tripped him.) Would this be the normal reaction from someone trying to maintain their balance? Of course not...but...as others have said....the coach should have stepped between the players and not put his hands on anyone. This is lighting up social media right now which is unfortunate. This is a situation where both head coaches should handle this "in house' but now that will be impossible. Don't get me wrong, what the coach did was wrong and inexcusable but at the same time the young man should realize that his action made this situation a lot more offensive to the eye and will spark a wildfire in today's electronic age.

Let me clarify, as a Raceland resident and supporter of my school for years, both monetarily in taxes and as a fan, I am NOT taking the coaches side. There are no sides here, everyone loses. The coach instigated this by putting his hands on an opposing team's player. He was wrong, period. His reaction heading towards the sidelines makes me think he is a hothead, period. I merely stated, by my interpretation of physics, and in my opinion, the young man went to the ground when he could've prevented it. There was not one effort to catch himself.  Also, to clarify, if he hadn't gone to the ground this is something that could be handled in house, not now, given the situation. I also think a meeting between the coaches, the player, his parents, school administrators, etc. would be very beneficial.
(11-18-2023, 02:44 PM)i82much Wrote:
(11-18-2023, 07:13 AM)Westside Wrote: https://www.facebook.com/story.php/?id=100065648673154&story_fbid=681221517409465

I watched this dozens of times this morning. I paused, played, paused, played, etc.. for an hour or more trying to go frame by frame and tried to look at it objectively.  As the inertia from the coach first began pulling the young man to the right the player bends his right knee in an upward motion and goes down. (At that instant there was no foot or anything else that could've tripped him.) Would this be the normal reaction from someone trying to maintain their balance? Of course not...but...as others have said....the coach should have stepped between the players and not put his hands on anyone. This is lighting up social media right now which is unfortunate. This is a situation where both head coaches should handle this "in house' but now that will be impossible. Don't get me wrong, what the coach did was wrong and inexcusable but at the same time the young man should realize that his action made this situation a lot more offensive to the eye and will spark a wildfire in today's electronic age.

Let me clarify, as a Raceland resident and supporter of my school for years, both monetarily in taxes and as a fan, I am NOT taking the coaches side. There are no sides here, everyone loses. The coach instigated this by putting his hands on an opposing team's player. He was wrong, period. His reaction heading towards the sidelines makes me think he is a hothead, period. I merely stated, by my interpretation of physics, and in my opinion, the young man went to the ground when he could've prevented it. There was not one effort to catch himself.  Also, to clarify, if he hadn't gone to the ground this is something that could be handled in house, not now, given the situation. I also think a meeting between the coaches, the player, his parents, school administrators, etc. would be very beneficial.
At this point I think a KHSAA representative would need to be part of such a meeting as well.

The worst part about incidents like that is it takes away from what actually happened on the game. This unfortunate incident has kept us from talking about good things that happened such as Raceland having over 400 yards rushing and having a player go over 200 yards.
Meh, it’s done and over. Nobody was hurt. Move on and get over it.
(11-18-2023, 03:05 PM)KnoxvillesFinest Wrote: Meh, it’s done and over. Nobody was hurt. Move on and get over it.

Agreed, appears to me as a total flop by a player trying to draw a penalty. I don’t fault the player for it, he got an extra 15yds for his team. I just see a coach separating 2 players, trying to catch a falling player and then saying something we have no idea what it was. It could have been asking “are you ok, why did you fall like that” or it could have been something more aggressive and intentional.

Who knows and who cares because it was a total creme puff moment and for people to call for this coach to never be on the field again is so 2023.
(11-18-2023, 03:24 PM)fansville Wrote:
(11-18-2023, 03:05 PM)KnoxvillesFinest Wrote: Meh, it’s done and over. Nobody was hurt. Move on and get over it.

Agreed, appears to me as a total flop by a player trying to draw a penalty. I don’t fault the player for it, he got an extra 15yds for his team. I just see a coach separating 2 players, trying to catch a falling player and then saying something we have no idea what it was. It could have been asking “are you ok, why did you fall like that” or it could have been something more aggressive and intentional.

Who knows and who cares because it was a total creme puff moment and for people to call for this coach to never be on the field again is so 2023.
The thing that I had an issue with was it was unjustified for him to grab the Raceland player.  If his intention was to separate the players he should have went to his own guys.  As for the Raceland player flopping, maybe he did maybe he didn’t but that doesn’t change the fact that an adult appeared to grab him out of anger.  At minimum he should be suspended from coaching for a year and just to save face from a PR standpoint I think a public apology should be issued.
On a side note, Raceland had their way with the running game.
Today has me thinking a lot about the Sayre program. I know nothing about the direction they are headed. I was wondering if anyone knew more about the future of their program. Do they expect to become a LCA or will they have great years here and there? I know they’ve accomplished a lot in a short amount of time. Does Chad stay there until his last kid graduates then moves on or is he looking to stay and build the program? I guess time will tell. As far as this game goes I hate seeing all the trash talk from these young kids. You see this happening more and more. You can see it every play on Saturdays and I believe it’s worked its way down to the high school level. It needs to be cleaned up. Just play football and keep your mouth shut
(11-18-2023, 05:23 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: Today has me thinking a lot about the Sayre program. I know nothing about the direction they are headed. I was wondering if anyone knew more about the future of their program. Do they expect to become a LCA or will they have great years here and there? I know they’ve accomplished a lot in a short amount of time. Does Chad stay there until his last kid graduates then moves on or is he looking to stay and build the program? I guess time will tell. As far as this game goes I hate seeing all the trash talk from these young kids. You see this happening more and more. You can see it every play on Saturdays and I believe it’s worked its way down to the high school level. It needs to be cleaned up. Just play football and keep your mouth shut
This is just me speculating but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Pennington join McPeek at Freddy D after his son graduates.  They seem cut from the same cloth in terms of attitude and would work well together. I really was expecting a classy program but was I wrong.

As for moving forward, I was proud of our guys for keeping their cool and staying poised.  A few years ago we might have had some ejections due to not having that discipline.  We have been growing up as a program and I liked how we handled adversity last night.
(11-18-2023, 11:59 AM)ROTC Wrote:
(11-18-2023, 11:15 AM)plantmanky Wrote:
(11-18-2023, 01:35 AM)ArmChairHC Wrote: Was really surprised that a HC of Penningtons pedigree would allow a lot of the things that went on from the Sayre sideline. I can understand kids getting chippy. Happens all the time. I hold no ill feelings towards a kid who is playing in what could be his last football game EVER getting caught up in the moment. But when two players are nose to nose, one with his hands behind his back, and an opposing coach grabs him by the jersey and throws him down…pretty rough. The refs had no control until it got completely out of control and it could have gotten a lot worse.

You shouldnt be if you knew half the stuff the HC does.

I know when Pennington first got there, he used a slimey; troll of a guy to go around and try to pick off talent from FCPS MS teams to play on some kind of “travel team” scenario.  I have no idea how many kids they got that way, exactly; BUT, I do know they got a few.

Probably not the only team in THIS GAME to implore similar type tactics.

Very, very few have the CLASS and HONOR to do it the “right way”…win-baby-win!!
RIP AL DAVIS
We don’t do that.
So, no one has NEVER encouraged talented 8th graders to leave area schools; let’s say like Russell- because their system/coach is too outdated and not fun and “not modern enough” and enroll at Raceland????

I call BALDERDASH!!!!
(11-19-2023, 08:24 AM)ROTC Wrote: So, no one has NEVER encouraged talented 8th graders to leave area schools; let’s say like Russell- because their system/coach is too outdated and not fun and “not modern enough” and enroll at Raceland????

I call BALDERDASH!!!!
I see your point but I think that is very different than how a large city private school “allegedly” gets athletes.  There is a huge difference between a kid like  Hensley going 30 miles from Richmond to Lexington  than a kid like Lundy going 2 miles from Russell to Raceland.

With Raceland and Russell the communities are just minutes apart and the school buses pass through the borders of one another.  With the communities being this close it is really easy to entice kids to go to either school due to everyone knowing each other.  I know a lot of Raceland alumni who have put their kids in Russell because Russell has better academics and are stronger in other sports programs besides football.  It’s not one sided but football has made it look that way. 

This is way different than a how a private school “allegedly” finds talented athletes from poor inner city areas with the promise of fixing their situation with a scholarship to their institution if they come and play ball for them or finding a talented athlete at an underperforming school and selling that athlete on using your connections to get them a college scholarship if they come play for you.  Helping the student athlete isn’t a bad thing at all but prospecting schools across a huge geographical area is wrong.
(11-18-2023, 01:57 AM)VoR_58 Wrote: The kid flopped, but a coach should still never touch an opposing player at all unless he’s just trying to break up a fight.
the kid should take acting classes. huge flop
I respect you very much Orange Blaze.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ROTC's post:
  • Orange Blaze
(11-19-2023, 03:05 PM)ROTC Wrote: I respect you very much Orange Blaze.

Same here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Orange Blaze
(11-19-2023, 04:02 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(11-19-2023, 03:05 PM)ROTC Wrote: I respect you very much Orange Blaze.

Same here.
Awww shucks you guys haha
Coach should have never been on the game field to begin with. Oh well, hes on the docket for Fayette Co Monday morning for charges it looks like.
(11-19-2023, 08:37 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Coach should have never been on the game field to begin with.  Oh well, hes on the docket for Fayette Co Monday morning for charges it looks like.
Charges for what ?
(11-19-2023, 08:40 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote:
(11-19-2023, 08:37 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Coach should have never been on the game field to begin with.  Oh well, hes on the docket for Fayette Co Monday morning for charges it looks like.
Charges for what ?

Inciting a flop
(11-19-2023, 08:47 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
Charges for what ?

Inciting a flop
Ain’t you got somewhere else to troll ?
(11-18-2023, 12:44 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote:
(11-18-2023, 12:40 PM)i82much Wrote:
(11-18-2023, 12:24 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote:

The same can be said for the coach though.  He should have known that there are cameras out everywhere and there was a good chance of being caught on film.  As for the player, I am not being a Raceland homer by saying this but I really didn’t see him do anything wrong.  What I saw was a kid with his hands behind his back walking back to his teammates and was cut off by an opposing player trash talking and then a coach from the opposing team grabbed him and pushing him.  After the push the coach stood over him and ran his mouth for a second.  The adult was 100% in the wrong in this situation and should face a stiff punishment.

The coach was definitely in the wrong, that was never my angle. We both spoke truth.
Listening to their fans cry during the live feed was something too.  There was a “Karen” mom that wouldn’t shut up the whole game and was really annoying.

I have laughed till I have cried.... What about a Karen mom who wouldn't shut up.....I can't get it out of my head... Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Bull got out!'s post:
  • Glory_Days, Orange Blaze
(11-19-2023, 09:03 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote:
(11-19-2023, 08:47 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
Charges for what ?

Inciting a flop
Ain’t you got somewhere else to troll ?
Not at the moment, it is working if you are replying
(11-18-2023, 12:44 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote: Listening to their fans cry during the live feed was something too.  There was a “Karen” mom that wouldn’t shut up the whole game and was really annoying.

LOL!!! Can't believe this is the only post about it. My goodness, I'm not sure it was really raining. It was just all the tears flying around from the Sayre fan section. They sounded like a bunch of idiots who know nothing about football!!! You said it best, "Karen" mom, so I'll leave it at that. I was in prayer most of the game for a Raceland score because it would stop the madness for a moment Smile, and spent most of the viewing muting and unmuting.

Go back and listen to them on the play that led to all the controversy........ sounded like someone was going to have a stroke. The coach, who was wrong in all facets, probably got tired of hearing them too. So, in his great stress and anger blew a gasket... haha, just kidding. That would be my defense in court Big Grin

Seriously though, the Ram player who was "assisted" to the ground by the hot head coach was confronted by a Sayre player almost as if those two had some earlier exchanges (I'm sure they were jawing, but nothing was really going on and the Ram player had his hands behind his back). Ok, now this same Ram player had just gotten up from laying on top of his assignment block. Those two had gotten tangled up like any of 1,000 other players on a given Friday night. The Ram player pushed the Sayre player back to ground and briefly laid on him before getting up. He pretty much did what is taught by most coaches. It didn't seem overly aggressive to me, but the Sayre fans were going berserk screaming "throw a flag" like they'd done all game. A couple of coaches were pointing in the direction as if they wanted a penalty (possibly for a hold). That's when ol' hot head decided to go on the field and proceed to interject himself. I'll take middle of the road on the arguments here and say the player look to sell a penalty, but the coach definitely put his hands on him and pushed him as he was falling.

I would've laughed my ass off if the kid got up and beat the hell out of him (he was a good head taller). I know two guys I played with that would've made it a very bad day for that coach. I'm not exaggerating in the fact it probably would've taken nothing less than law enforcement to pry them off that coach. Football is football but they would've taken that as a personal attack and well.... made it very personal. One of them in particular was a nasty dude.

FWIW, you can look for yourself at the # of the Sayre player that was on the ground. I have good theory on why everyone for Sayre was losing their marbles.
[-] The following 2 users Like Glory_Days's post:
  • Bull got out!, Orange Blaze
(11-19-2023, 12:40 PM)scrappy coco Wrote:
(11-18-2023, 01:57 AM)VoR_58 Wrote: The kid flopped, but a coach should still never touch an opposing player at all unless he’s just trying to break up a fight.
the kid should take acting classes. huge flop
Kinda like Fairview
Good luck to Raceland next round.