Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preseason 2A Rankings
Spurlock staying...
Farler to Southwestern..
EKUAlum05 Wrote:What's the final word on Spurlock from Leslie?

He staying in Hyden or did he transfer?

If he is back Leslie County should be pretty good... they have Asher back and their best WR and QB. If he isn't back I dont see Leslie stopping anyone on D though and he also makes wherever he goes better.

I was told last weekend that Spurlock is still with Leslie and if yall are speaking off Trent Asher, he is still there too. Leslie Co will be tough out in 2A.
Farler went to Southwestern. My question is why not Somerset, if you moving to Pulaski Co. Leslie County will be a very good football team. Breathitt Co. and Leslie will be a good game on the banks of the Middle Fork. Go Eagles !
JustThinking Wrote:Farler went to Southwestern. My question is why not Somerset, if you moving to Pulaski Co. Leslie County will be a very good football team. Breathitt Co. and Leslie will be a good game on the banks of the Middle Fork. Go Eagles !

I knew it was either Farler or Asher that transferred. If Leslie is going to challenge Breathitt, they must improve their line play on both sides of the ball. Breathitt's strength will be their offensive and defensive lines. I hope the Eagles are improved, because everyone benefits when our district is more competitive.
Cat Daddy Wrote:I knew it was either Farler or Asher that transferred. If Leslie is going to challenge Breathitt, they must improve their line play on both sides of the ball. Breathitt's strength will be their offensive and defensive lines. I hope the Eagles are improved, because everyone benefits when our district is more competitive.

46.4 is the number that stands out to me when I think Leslie County.

That is the average number of points they gave up in the five losses last season.

Getting Spurlock back in the fold doesn't hurt them, but the Eagles have miles to go to compete with the best teams in 2A and it all starts with being able to stop teams.
Since it looks like we might actually play this season just wanted to put this discussion back on everyone's radar. Looks like we'll be losing a lot of our early indicator games that might let us know a little bit more how 2A will shake out:

Somerset v. Beechwood
Beechwood v. Paintsville
LCA v. Pikeville
Breathitt v. Hazard
Mayfield v. PT/Hopkinsville
Danville v. Bell/Bardstown/Boyle

All gone it would appear.
RoShamBo Wrote:Since it looks like we might actually play this season just wanted to put this discussion back on everyone's radar. Looks like we'll be losing a lot of our early indicator games that might let us know a little bit more how 2A will shake out:

Somerset v. Beechwood
Beechwood v. Paintsville
LCA v. Pikeville
Breathitt v. Hazard
Mayfield v. PT/Hopkinsville
Danville v. Bell/Bardstown/Boyle

All gone it would appear.

My guess is we still see Somerset and Beechwood at Kroger
LCA is loaded with both speed, size and versatility among postions and have one of the best staffs in the state. Somerset is returning some good dudes as well. IMO it's between those two for a trip to Kroger Field just like last year.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Ya'll are criminally underrating West Carter, IMHO. They return six of their seven best players from last year. Probably return as much production as anyone in 2A with maybe McLean being the lone exception.

Murray also not getting enough love. They lose their QB and best WR, but return a dominant D1 caliber D-Linemen and their bell-cow RB.

1. Somerset
2. Mayfield
3. LCA
4. Beechwood
5. West Carter
6. Danville
7. Breathitt County
8. Murray
9. Caldwell County
10. McLean County

I don't think the cupboard is bare at all at Breathitt, but losing Collins, Slaughter, and Noble are MASSIVE hits. I love their young QB but that is a huge question mark and cannot see Breathitt being better or even as good as a result. If they get Spurlock it helps on D though.

I like Walton-Verona but they lost their do-everything QB Brauer and the Smith kid was a solid two-way player and RB. They would probably be at #11.

Edmonson County is kind of a sleeper Top 10 pick. They reached the Regional Finals but were over-matched once they got there, but they return almost all of their key players on offense including their solid QB and a 1000 yard rusher at RB.

Owensboro Catholic loses Hartz and his ridiculous sat line. They return some play-makers but they won't be as good as we have seen them. Firmly in that 11-15 range.

Lloyd Memorial and Newport both should take steps back. Newport lost their heart in soul in Kaleal Davis and Giaunte Jackson. Lloyd has their QB back but lost basically everyone else.

Washington County and Shelby Valley will be about the same as they have been. They will both win most of their non-district games and hover in that 14-20 range in the class.

I would agree with yours, I think you can put the top four in whatever order you want to. West Carter I do believe is number 5, I think them and Mayfield are neck and neck so you could flip them and I wouldn’t disagree. I’ve seen a lot of people put Breathitt County there. They are good however I just don’t think their schedule puts them in success for the regional championship game. That’s why I wouldn’t place them before the 6th spot. The other spots just pick them out of the hat.

I think we will see one Beechwood raise the 2A tittle
Oleballcoach Wrote:I would agree with yours, I think you can put the top four in whatever order you want to. West Carter I do believe is number 5, I think them and Mayfield are neck and neck so you could flip them and I wouldn’t disagree. I’ve seen a lot of people put Breathitt County there. They are good however I just don’t think their schedule puts them in success for the regional championship game. That’s why I wouldn’t place them before the 6th spot. The other spots just pick them out of the hat.

I think we will see one Beechwood raise the 2A tittle

You will be wrong
Tigerallamerican Wrote:LCA is loaded with both speed, size and versatility among postions and have one of the best staffs in the state. Somerset is returning some good dudes as well. IMO it's between those two for a trip to Kroger Field just like last year.

Somerset also added Chase Doan who may just be there best player this coming season
FootballFan1999 Wrote:Somerset also added Chase Doan who may just be there best player this coming season

Chase Doan, Gavin Stevens, Jackson Cooper, Michael Hawkins and Isaiah Coffey - those are all HUGE pickups for the jumpers that were added during the off season.
JumperPride1 Wrote:Chase Doan, Gavin Stevens, Jackson Cooper, Michael Hawkins and Isaiah Coffey - those are all HUGE pickups for the jumpers that were added during the off season.

Somerset is a lock to repeat with all these transfers
WestCarterComet Wrote:Somerset is a lock to repeat with all these transfers

Those aren't all transfers. Couple of them are kids who have been at Somerset but didn't play last year. Doan's older brother played at Somerset and I'd guess he was in the school system as well at one point.
JumperPride1 Wrote:Chase Doan, Gavin Stevens, Jackson Cooper, Michael Hawkins and Isaiah Coffey - those are all HUGE pickups for the jumpers that were added during the off season.

I didn't realize Gavin Stevens was coming out, that could be big. I assume he'll play WR and he could bring a whole new dynamic to compliment Grundy. A tall athletic WR is just what this team needs to replace Jayden Gilmore.
FootballFan1999 Wrote:Somerset also added Chase Doan who may just be there best player this coming season

He is a decent player but we have better options. I would say he will be the third option in the backfield. With everything that comes with him I wish he’d stayed at SW or went somewhere else.
JumperFan Wrote:He is a decent player but we have better options. I would say he will be the third option in the backfield. With everything that comes with him I wish he’d stayed at SW or went somewhere else.

With the way they use RBs this is a pretty dumb thing to say. Chase is a great kid and he will be a welcome addition.
JumperPride1 Wrote:With the way they use RBs this is a pretty dumb thing to say. Chase is a great kid and he will be a welcome addition.

I’m sure he is a great kid. I wasn’t talking about him. I said with everything that comes with him. We all know that if he isnt getting the touches his dad thinks he deserves there will be an uproar. Did the same with his older brother. And like you said with the way we use our backs and all the weapons we have it will be interesting to see how a “me” first attitude fits in. I personally don’t think we need it. All it can do is create turmoil in our locker room.
Who will Somerset be playing for their 9th regular season game?
WestCarterComet Wrote:Who will Somerset be playing for their 9th regular season game?

I think they lose the Rockcastle, Montgomery Co., and Beechwood games because of the delayed start.

So that will leave Williamsburg, Russellville, Hazard, Danville, LCA, Washington Co., and Corbin for the regular season, if I'm not mistaken.
RoShamBo Wrote:I think they lose the Rockcastle, Montgomery Co., and Beechwood games because of the delayed start.

So that will leave Williamsburg, Russellville, Hazard, Danville, LCA, Washington Co., and Corbin for the regular season, if I'm not mistaken.
was told they picked up Whitley Co. From a coach.
This made me happy. The addition of Coffey will help fill in with the lose of Simmons size, and Jackson and company just filled a few spots. This will be the most athletic I've seen the Jumpers. That line will be huge again. Great stable of backs, and those backs picked up and carried after Miller injury. Sheron has way too many weapons other then Grundy, and if the Zaragoza's are back oh my this is going to be fun to watch. Jumpers defense could be even better this year. More speed and athletic on that side of the ball. I may be wrong but Sheron to UK, Grundy to Louisville, heard Johnson to EKU, J. Simmons to Morehead, Hawkins has Vandy offer that's a lot of D1 kids and that's just offense.
foozeball80 Wrote:if the Zaragoza's are back oh my this is going to be fun to watch.

To my knowledge, I haven’t seen either of the oldest two. The youngest brother has been seen working out.

Defensively, this team will be scary good.

If the additions to the line and the younger kids step up, the offense will be ridiculous too.

Only thing that stands in their way is injuries or a season lost to the coronavirus.
foozeball80 Wrote:This made me happy. The addition of Coffey will help fill in with the lose of Simmons size, and Jackson and company just filled a few spots. This will be the most athletic I've seen the Jumpers. That line will be huge again. Great stable of backs, and those backs picked up and carried after Miller injury. Sheron has way too many weapons other then Grundy, and if the Zaragoza's are back oh my this is going to be fun to watch. Jumpers defense could be even better this year. More speed and athletic on that side of the ball. I may be wrong but Sheron to UK, Grundy to Louisville, heard Johnson to EKU, J. Simmons to Morehead, Hawkins has Vandy offer that's a lot of D1 kids and that's just offense.

Not to nitpick, but Grundy's commitment to Louisville is for baseball. Not to say he doesn't have the skill level to play football there as well.
RoShamBo Wrote:Not to nitpick, but Grundy's commitment to Louisville is for baseball. Not to say he doesn't have the skill level to play football there as well.
you are correct, but does have football offers. None of it really matters in my post, I was just pointing out the talent that's at Somerset not including the ones appove. It will take a team that can match them across the board to beat them. A lot got caught up in the 24 seniors, but only 8-10 actually saw the field. It was a dominate Jr., So. And freshman in many positions that helped it click.
RoShamBo Wrote:I didn't realize Gavin Stevens was coming out, that could be big. I assume he'll play WR and he could bring a whole new dynamic to compliment Grundy. A tall athletic WR is just what this team needs to replace Jayden Gilmore.
plus Ricky Gilmore the best hands on the team is playing at his highest level. This team has so much speed it's scary.
The only player Breathitt loses that will hurt is Collins. Slaughter stayed in trouble and lost his focus especially toward the end of the season. Noble was no doubt an impact player,’but I wouldn’t consider his graduating a major blow to the Breathitt squad. The Bobcats deserve to be highly ranked in the post season and my guess is they’ll be even better than last years team.
Wolfeman Wrote:The o nly player Breathitt loses that will hurt is Collins. Slaughter stayed in trouble and lost his focus especially toward the end of the season. Noble was no doubt an impact player,’but I wouldn’t consider his graduating a major blow to the Breathitt squad. The Bobcats deserve to be highly ranked in the post season and my guess is they’ll be even better than last years team.

I don’t know how they can improve after losing (who I thought) was the best RB in 2A after Miller went down. Collins made that team go.
Breathitt Co. had some good young backs. They have a very good Off. line. They will be a very good Football Team. only knock is schedule. Somerset and LCA are both loaded for a 2A Football team, I give the nod to Somerset. My Eagles will be better than people think.
foozeball80 Wrote:This made me happy. The addition of Coffey will help fill in with the lose of Simmons size, and Jackson and company just filled a few spots. This will be the most athletic I've seen the Jumpers. That line will be huge again. Great stable of backs, and those backs picked up and carried after Miller injury. Sheron has way too many weapons other then Grundy, and if the Zaragoza's are back oh my this is going to be fun to watch. Jumpers defense could be even better this year. More speed and athletic on that side of the ball. I may be wrong but Sheron to UK, Grundy to Louisville, heard Johnson to EKU, J. Simmons to Morehead, Hawkins has Vandy offer that's a lot of D1 kids and that's just offense.

Hawkins has offers based on his size and connections only. Didn’t rlly even play at Lexington Catholic wouldn’t give him too much credit yet.