Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Preseason 2A Rankings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
How would everyone rank the top 10 teams in 2A right now? Here is my personal opinion.

1. Somerset
2. LCA
3. Beechwood
4. Mayfield
5. Breathitt County
6. Danville
7. West Carter
8. Caldwell County
9. McClean County
10. Lloyd Memorial
WestCarterComet Wrote:How would everyone rank the top 10 teams in 2A right now? Here is my personal opinion.

1. Somerset
2. LCA
3. Beechwood
4. Mayfield
5. Breathitt County
6. Danville
7. West Carter
8. Caldwell County
9. McClean County
10. Lloyd Memorial

Looks good my friend. But I do have a serious question. You think Danville will have that big of a turnaround from last year to jump up to preseason #6? I know the Ads are a top notch program but last year was pretty ugly. I hope they do. Just wanted to know what your thoughts on them are for next year.
#55PirateFan Wrote:Looks good my friend. But I do have a serious question. You think Danville will have that big of a turnaround from last year to jump up to preseason #6? I know the Ads are a top notch program but last year was pretty ugly. I hope they do. Just wanted to know what your thoughts on them are for next year.

Ads were pretty young last year. Freshman QB. Sophomore RB. Plus they play in the hardest district in 2A. Bell is a huge loss but they had a good sized junior class. I put Danville at 6 because they have been a top notch program but I could easily see sliding them to 7 or even 8.
WestCarterComet Wrote:Ads were pretty young last year. Freshman QB. Sophomore RB. Plus they play in the hardest district in 2A. Bell is a huge loss but they had a good sized junior class. I put Danville at 6 because they have been a top notch program but I could easily see sliding them to 7 or even 8.

Makes sense. Danville is an elite program no doubt. They may have a down year every now and then but they never stay down very long. Nice work on your poll brother.
#55PirateFan Wrote:Makes sense. Danville is an elite program no doubt. They may have a down year every now and then but they never stay down very long. Nice work on your poll brother.

Appreciate it. 8-10 were just my best guesses.
WestCarterComet Wrote:Appreciate it. 8-10 were just my best guesses.

Yeah, alot of times once you get past the top 5 or 6 in each class it's usually just a "quess-tamation". 😂
#55PirateFan Wrote:Yeah, alot of times once you get past the top 5 or 6 in each class it's usually just a "quess-tamation". 😂

Usually those 8-10 ranked teams don’t establish themselves until a few weeks into the season so it’s hard to put them together in a preseason poll
Danville wasn't as bad as their record would indicate this past season, just young. They played Somerset tough both games this year. They'll be tough next season and a contender again in 2021 IMO.
RoShamBo Wrote:Danville wasn't as bad as their record would indicate this past season, just young. They played Somerset tough both games this year. They'll be tough next season and a contender again in 2021 IMO.

Danville played a pretty tough schedule too. 2021 will be when they’re in district championship contention IMO.
District 4 will be tough once again in 2020. I think the 2A champs comes from here again. Danville is steadily improving, but you have to wonder if there is any "jumping of the ship" with Haddox coming into Boyle. Might be some address changes in the near future. Washington loses Churchill but will still be scrappy. Somerset brings back Sheron and Grundy along with some talented youngsters (number 44 was a stud). I am sure they will "find" some others before kickoff in August as well. The fact is you can't have stars like Sheron and Grundy and not surround them with talent. LCA is playing another monster out of district schedule. They return 10 starters on defense and 8 on offense. Their soph class is probably the most talented group of in-coming juniors in the state. Loaded with talent in all 3 phases. Combine that with a very solid and big (as in stature) in-coming freshman class and they will be a very tough out. Going to be a lot of fun come August.
1. LCA
2. Somerset
3. Mayfield
4. Breathitt County
5. Beechwood
6. Danville
7. McClean County
8. West Carter
9. Caldwell County
10. Walton-Verona
Tigerallamerican Wrote:District 4 will be tough once again in 2020. I think the 2A champs comes from here again. Danville is steadily improving, but you have to wonder if there is any "jumping of the ship" with Haddox coming into Boyle. Might be some address changes in the near future. Washington loses Churchill but will still be scrappy. Somerset brings back Sheron and Grundy along with some talented youngsters (number 44 was a stud). I am sure they will "find" some others before kickoff in August as well. The fact is you can't have stars like Sheron and Grundy and not surround them with talent. LCA is playing another monster out of district schedule. They return 10 starters on defense and 8 on offense. Their soph class is probably the most talented group of in-coming juniors in the state. Loaded with talent in all 3 phases. Combine that with a very solid and big (as in stature) in-coming freshman class and they will be a very tough out. Going to be a lot of fun come August.

District 4 will again be a 2 horse race with LCA and Somerset. Danville will be much improved but 2021 will be the year for them. I think the regular season matchup against Beechwood and Somerset will be a big indicator of what will happen in the post season in 2A. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Beechwood playing the winner of district 4 in Lexington come December.
Cat Daddy Wrote:1. LCA
2. Somerset
3. Mayfield
4. Breathitt County
5. Beechwood
6. Danville
7. McClean County
8. West Carter
9. Caldwell County
10. Walton-Verona

Pretty solid list. Curious why you have Breathitt over Beechwood and Walton-Verona at 10?
Flip Somerset and LCA. Somerset way to loaded again. Flip Beechwood and Breathitt. Id put Beechwood over Mayfield as well
Yes I know BC is trying to bring guys in, but it won't help. Somerset is reloaded. All they're backs are back except Miller who went out on 4th game I believe, and Brunner that filled in some, Sheron at QB, Grundy and more speedy receivers return. They do lose OL, but solid with returners as well as Johnson, and younger Simmons returning on the line. Somerset defense could probably be better then this year with all DL back but 1. Returning both OLBs and the two MLBs are seasoned and solid. Secondary will be solid with Grundy, Gilmore, Sheron and a few more to sprinkle in.
foozeball80 Wrote:Flip Somerset and LCA. Somerset way to loaded again. Flip Beechwood and Breathitt. Id put Beechwood over Mayfield as well
Yes I know BC is trying to bring guys in, but it won't help. Somerset is reloaded. All they're backs are back except Miller who went out on 4th game I believe, and Brunner that filled in some, Sheron at QB, Grundy and more speedy receivers return. They do lose OL, but solid with returners as well as Johnson, and younger Simmons returning on the line. Somerset defense could probably be better then this year with all DL back but 1. Returning both OLBs and the two MLBs are seasoned and solid. Secondary will be solid with Grundy, Gilmore, Sheron and a few more to sprinkle in.

I have Somerset as my favorite to win 2A. They’re going to be legit. Bruner is a big loss but they bring back the 2A player of the year in Sheron. I do look for LCA to compete with them though. Unless Breathitt brings in a couple kids like they did last season they won’t be a top 5 team but it looks like they already have a couple guys lined out according to some of these other forums. Beechwood was young last year. If they’re able to win 8-9 games on the monster regular season schedule they have then everyone will need to watch out for the tigers. Briar Jumpers included.
WestCarterComet Wrote:Pretty solid list. Curious why you have Breathitt over Beechwood and Walton-Verona at 10?

Walton-Verona brings back a ton of experience from team who made a regional finals appearance last year. Also, I believe the 7-10 teams in 2A are interchangeable, including Lloyd Memorial. As far as Breathitt being ranked over Beechwood, I feel like Breathitt will have the best offensive line in 2A and I think that will be the difference between the two teams. As far as transfers, I have no idea if there is any substance to the rumors. Breathitt will compete regardless, in my opinion.
Somerset and LCA are the teams to beat of course but how much does the jumpers lose up front cause they were massive, and does LCA lose any big time athletes that could let a beechwood or mayfield title run appear?
Cat Daddy Wrote:Walton-Verona brings back a ton of experience from team who made a regional finals appearance last year. Also, I believe the 7-10 teams in 2A are interchangeable, including Lloyd Memorial. As far as Breathitt being ranked over Beechwood, I feel like Breathitt will have the best offensive line in 2A and I think that will be the difference between the two teams. As far as transfers, I have no idea if there is any substance to the rumors. Breathitt will compete regardless, in my opinion.

Best offensive line in 2A? If that’s true then there’s no reason for Breathitt not being in the semifinals again.
Gridiron_Raid Wrote:Somerset and LCA are the teams to beat of course but how much does the jumpers lose up front cause they were massive, and does LCA lose any big time athletes that could let a beechwood or mayfield title run appear?

LCA loses Dearious Smith who I believe led all of 2A in receiving.
Mayfield is likely to high in all the picks so far in this thread. This will sadly be a major rebuilding year for my Cardinals
1. LCA
2. Somerset
3. Beechwood
4. Danville
5. Breathitt
6. Mayfield
7. Walton-Verona
8. McClean County
9. West Carter
10.Caldwell County

Feel like 8-10 can be switched around
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:Mayfield is likely to high in all the picks so far in this thread. This will sadly be a major rebuilding year for my Cardinals

Beechwood was in a rebuilding year last year too but still went to the semifinals. Programs like mayfield will still go deep regardless of them being in a rebuilding year...
AverageJoe Wrote:1. LCA
2. Somerset
3. Beechwood
4. Danville
5. Breathitt
6. Mayfield
7. Walton-Verona
8. McClean County
9. West Carter
10.Caldwell County

Feel like 8-10 can be switched around

Could you provide explanation behind the rankings you gave? This was an interesting top 10.
WestCarterComet Wrote:Could you provide explanation behind the rankings you gave? This was an interesting top 10.

I think the top three is solid lock. I feel like Danville is ranked over Breathitt because of SOS. Mayfield dropped because of rebuilding year. W-V had a solid team last year with a lot of experience coming back and playing in NKY. 8-10 is wishy washy.
AverageJoe Wrote:I think the top three is solid lock. I feel like Danville is ranked over Breathitt because of SOS. Mayfield dropped because of rebuilding year. W-V had a solid team last year with a lot of experience coming back and playing in NKY. 8-10 is wishy washy.

I agree with your top 3. However, I would switch Somerset and LCA. I don’t see Danville being better than Mayfield this season. I would never have the Cardinals outside of the top 4. I do agree with the SOS argument too. Breathitt’s schedule is a cake walk. Once you get past the top 4 in my opinion, it starts to get interchangeable.
Is there any news out of 2A that would change some of our preseason rankings, such as transfers, or anything else that was unforeseen?
Cat Daddy Wrote:Is there any news out of 2A that would change some of our preseason rankings, such as transfers, or anything else that was unforeseen?

Somerset picked up a TE/DE from Lex Cath and the Doan kid from Southwestern.
Ya'll are criminally underrating West Carter, IMHO. They return six of their seven best players from last year. Probably return as much production as anyone in 2A with maybe McLean being the lone exception.

Murray also not getting enough love. They lose their QB and best WR, but return a dominant D1 caliber D-Linemen and their bell-cow RB.

1. Somerset
2. Mayfield
3. LCA
4. Beechwood
5. West Carter
6. Danville
7. Breathitt County
8. Murray
9. Caldwell County
10. McLean County

I don't think the cupboard is bare at all at Breathitt, but losing Collins, Slaughter, and Noble are MASSIVE hits. I love their young QB but that is a huge question mark and cannot see Breathitt being better or even as good as a result. If they get Spurlock it helps on D though.

I like Walton-Verona but they lost their do-everything QB Brauer and the Smith kid was a solid two-way player and RB. They would probably be at #11.

Edmonson County is kind of a sleeper Top 10 pick. They reached the Regional Finals but were over-matched once they got there, but they return almost all of their key players on offense including their solid QB and a 1000 yard rusher at RB.

Owensboro Catholic loses Hartz and his ridiculous sat line. They return some play-makers but they won't be as good as we have seen them. Firmly in that 11-15 range.

Lloyd Memorial and Newport both should take steps back. Newport lost their heart in soul in Kaleal Davis and Giaunte Jackson. Lloyd has their QB back but lost basically everyone else.

Washington County and Shelby Valley will be about the same as they have been. They will both win most of their non-district games and hover in that 14-20 range in the class.
What's the final word on Spurlock from Leslie?

He staying in Hyden or did he transfer?

If he is back Leslie County should be pretty good... they have Asher back and their best WR and QB. If he isn't back I dont see Leslie stopping anyone on D though and he also makes wherever he goes better.
Who was the kid that recently transferred to Southwestern from Leslie? If I'm not mistaken, I think it was Asher. I may be wrong. I haven't heard anything about Spurlock.
Pages: 1 2 3