Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phelps Football?
How many kids ended up coming out at Phelps?
Some where between 25-28. Coach jones helped over at Paris years ago when Randy Reese coached. He will condition them to no end. They won't run out of gas at Phelps this season.
Rip 28, i see you must have came with Coach Jones from Powell County. I just can't see a coach that had a whole county couldnt get any wins, is going to pike county and fight with other teams in the county for talent. I wish good luck for phelps, but I just can't see it.
It is true, Western and Eastern were looking at two of them last year.
bigpun Wrote:I can't believe any D-! college is looking at BL kids.
CoachB Wrote:It is true, Western and Eastern were looking at two of them last year.
OK they were looking meaning past tense right. So neither one signed?
Both are seniors this year. I am sure Coach Parsons will keep working the EKU and WKU coaches as I did last year. They should sign with one of the two schools WKU was definitely a very good possibility.
bigpun Wrote:OK they were looking meaning past tense right. So neither one signed?
betsylayne fanatic Wrote:where did he win two state championships won at? What did he coach or play?

he won them at paris.
bluegrassballa Wrote:i think phelps will have a good season. coach jones is good coac with 2 state championships. he will condition them until he knows they r in the best shape they can get in. he only plays the best. he will be good for them.
Coach Jones may be a great hire for Phelps and I'm sure he is doing a great job but while they are an important part of a program Assistant coaches generally aren't credited with "having" state championships.
well my bad fox. at least hes got the rings to show them off.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:Coach Jones may be a great hire for Phelps and I'm sure he is doing a great job but while they are an important part of a program Assistant coaches generally aren't credited with "having" state championships.

Dude, he had the number 1 defense in the state for 3 years. 37-0 for three years under the number 1 defense. Big name college teams are using HIS defense that HE created while he was at Paris. He will have a good season and a very well conditioned team.
bluegrassballa Wrote:Dude, he had the number 1 defense in the state for 3 years. 37-0 for three years under the number 1 defense. Big name college teams are using HIS defense that HE created while he was at Paris. He will have a good season and a very well conditioned team.
Wow, he created his own defense? It's surprising we didn't see him getting inducted into Canton this weekend.
bluegrassballa Wrote:Dude, he had the number 1 defense in the state for 3 years. 37-0 for three years under the number 1 defense. Big name college teams are using HIS defense that HE created while he was at Paris. He will have a good season and a very well conditioned team.
He may or may not have had the #1 defense during that time....Paris was very good in the early '80s...my point was that asst coaches do not get credit for championships, Head coaches do.

Coach Jones may be a very good coach and he may very well be a great hire for Phelps.
Whether he and Phelps will have a good season remains to be seen....I certainly hope they do.

I hope every team has a great year.

Good luck Phelps and Coach Jones.

What defense might that be? Maybe he will create a new one especially for the Hornets this year.
Dude what are you talking about?you dont have any clue as to what you are speaking of.
Big name colleges using his defense?what?I did not know lining evrybody in a gap and playing the biggest kid on your team at middle linebacker was a PATENTED defense.
that same defense never worked at powell and it wont work now either. its terrible.
that defense is terrible and it wont work anywhere . put evrybody in gaps and play a 300 pound kid at mike backer, funny. no and i say NO colleges use that defense. high schools dont even use that defense.
He was not the defensive cordinator at Paris then.
you have no idea of what your saying.
MR.PERFECT Wrote:Dude what are you talking about?you dont have any clue as to what you are speaking of.
Big name colleges using his defense?what?I did not know lining evrybody in a gap and playing the biggest kid on your team at middle linebacker was a PATENTED defense.
that same defense never worked at powell and it wont work now either. its terrible.
that defense is terrible and it wont work anywhere . put evrybody in gaps and play a 300 pound kid at mike backer, funny. no and i say NO colleges use that defense. high schools dont even use that defense.

alright. i know it didnt help last year and it surely didnt help the year before. coach jones AND his "horrible" defense was 6th in state that year. and that 300 pound mike linebacker, he got the Old Spice National Defensive Player of the Year. but he sucks according to u right. and dont even say he didnt becasue i was there when he was given it. that is with the worst defense though.
bigpun Wrote:Wow, he created his own defense? It's surprising we didn't see him getting inducted into Canton this weekend.

dont be jealous.
bluegrassballa Wrote:dont be jealous.
Of Phelps and Powell County! Don't flatter yourself. Two of the losingest programs in the state aren't exactly what anybody is jealous of. There were 41 teams in the state last year that won between 0 and 2 games. Phelps only won 2 games and the mighty Powell County Pirates only won one game. If you have to call people jealous to justify your losses then so be it. But guess what, no matter how many people you call jealous, your losses are still losses. It is people like you thta give Powell and Phelps bad names. Whether you are a fan or not, you are the reason people don't take these programs seriously.
bluegrassballa Wrote:alright. i know it didnt help last year and it surely didnt help the year before. coach jones AND his "horrible" defense was 6th in state that year. .
No, they weren't.
They weren't even 6th in the state in AA.

Please don't post false information.

Here's a link with the final stats from the 2005 and 2006 season so people can see for themselves:

2005 link- http://www.khsaa.org/football/2005/stats2.htm

2006 link- http://www.khsaa.org/football/2006/stats2.htm
I went back and checked on your Old Spice Player of the Year and there was no listing of him on any year 2001-2006. 2001-2005 are on http://www.oldspiceredzoneplayer.com/alumni.cfm.
2006 are on http://www.oldspiceredzoneplayer.com/index.cfm.
No one from Powell Co is mentioned anywhere from any year.
Balla,
I know you mean well but where did you get all this info>????????
Coach Jones heped out at Paris but he was never the D cordinator. He never 1 time said he was to me.
Hey rip_28 who are you....I used to go to Phelps...are you one of the coaches...lol
But yea I think he will help them alot...hope fully they will whip Betsy Lane again...lol
and yea my cousin Matt Smith says they have been conditioning there butts off with lots of running and the heat is playing a factor also...So I think they will win a playoff game this year for sure.
Coach Jones is a good Coach, and he has a good personality, the kind of thing that makes a kid enjoy their sport... and yeah he does work their butts off... practices last year at powell would start right after school and go til after 8 and 9 some nights depending on the output of the players that night... but whether or not the kids are conditioning their butts off and practicing their butts off it still remains its not the coaches fault alone what happens on the field... he can tell them what play to run, but if the kids don't get it right how is it his fault? yeah powell and phelps haven't been the best teams in the state but you can't blame it on the coach alone... good luck to coach jones at phelps and whitaker at powell... i hope both teams have a good season this year
sanson2424 Wrote:Hey rip_28 who are you....I used to go to Phelps...are you one of the coaches...lol
But yea I think he will help them alot...hope fully they will whip Betsy Lane again...lol
and yea my cousin Matt Smith says they have been conditioning there butts off with lots of running and the heat is playing a factor also...So I think they will win a playoff game this year for sure.

I'd like to see you put your money where your mouth is on this unarticulated thought.
Phelps should be pretty decent this year, I really hope they can aleast have a winning record and get into the playoffs.They lost their best player in the RB last year but they O-line is huge this year and will make up for the lost RB if they are shape and hit the weights in the off season.I Hope they get that 1st ever home playoff game, good luck to Coach Jones and his Hornets this year!
If I were Phelps I would be looking for a miracle instead of "a huge O-line".
bigpun Wrote:If I were Phelps I would be looking for a miracle instead of "a huge O-line".

Why are you so neg?...Phelps line will be much better this year I know that for a fact but im not sayin bout how they win or make the playoffs.
I think Phelps will make playoffs because the kids will play hard and they want it more.
the players seemed to be enjoying themselves and also seemed pretty excited about the upcoming season during their interview on the pigskin previews.