•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johnson Central's new coach?
From what I am hearing JC has interest in a ton of coaches and the job is still anyone's to take. Tommy McKenzie, Bart Williams, Matthew Perry, Phillip Wireman, and Tim Adams are just a few who have either been directly or indirectly contacted by the school. I also hear at this point it's Tommy McKenzie and Matthew Perry in front. No official interviews have happened but over the next 2 weeks JC would like to interview and hire the next coach. BTW, I was a Starns fan but IMO he just wasn't what JC needed. He was using the school as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. He wanted out after one year and everyone knew he wasn't staying longer than 3 yrs anyway.
IMO, if JCHS is lucky enough to get Tommy McKenzie as a head coach they would not just be settling for second best. Coach McKenzie had many opportunities to be elsewhere, but stayed loyal to Johnson County and will do a tremendous job with the program if he is granted the opportunity.
eaglehoops Wrote:From what I am hearing JC has interest in a ton of coaches and the job is still anyone's to take. Tommy McKenzie, Bart Williams, Matthew Perry, Phillip Wireman, and Tim Adams are just a few who have either been directly or indirectly contacted by the school. I also hear at this point it's Tommy McKenzie and Matthew Perry in front. No official interviews have happened but over the next 2 weeks JC would like to interview and hire the next coach. BTW, I was a Starns fan but IMO he just wasn't what JC needed. He was using the school as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. He wanted out after one year and everyone knew he wasn't staying longer than 3 yrs anyway.
Tommy McKenzie- is the front runner and probably ready for a shot, but this sure isn't the dream job to start a career.
Bart Williams- seems to love Pikeville and appears loaded for next few years, however might go back home for Matney type $$$$ and to be rescued from the classroom.
Mathew Perry- good coach, not as hot since Morgan has been surprisingly down the last couple of years, turned JC down once, will they give him another chance to say no again.
Phillip Wireman- if he really wanted the boys job he should get a shot, has been a solid girls coach for the a long time, has paid his dues but will probably finish coaching his daughter.
Tim Adams- has been great for the middle school for years, but JCHS hotseat sure ain't middle school so they will probably pass on him, would be a good assistant for any of these guys.

There you have it....but truthfully, who in their right mind would want to coach there the way they have treated coaches for the last 15+ years???
bball fan Wrote:Tommy McKenzie- is the front runner and probably ready for a shot, but this sure isn't the dream job to start a career.
Bart Williams- seems to love Pikeville and appears loaded for next few years, however might go back home for Matney type $$$$ and to be rescued from the classroom.
Mathew Perry- good coach, not as hot since Morgan has been surprisingly down the last couple of years, turned JC down once, will they give him another chance to say no again.
Phillip Wireman- if he really wanted the boys job he should get a shot, has been a solid girls coach for the a long time, has paid his dues but will probably finish coaching his daughter.
Tim Adams- has been great for the middle school for years, but JCHS hotseat sure ain't middle school so they will probably pass on him, would be a good assistant for any of these guys.

There you have it....but truthfully, who in their right mind would want to coach there the way they have treated coaches for the last 15+ years???

I for one hope it is either McKenzie or Williams! I think we need someone that is willing to stay for a long time. Wireman would be a great coach but is too close to retirement to try something new and Adams in my opinion is a great middle school coach but high school would be out of his league and needs to stay there.
eaglehoops Wrote:From what I am hearing JC has interest in a ton of coaches and the job is still anyone's to take. Tommy McKenzie, Bart Williams, Matthew Perry, Phillip Wireman, and Tim Adams are just a few who have either been directly or indirectly contacted by the school. I also hear at this point it's Tommy McKenzie and Matthew Perry in front. No official interviews have happened but over the next 2 weeks JC would like to interview and hire the next coach. BTW, I was a Starns fan but IMO he just wasn't what JC needed. He was using the school as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. He wanted out after one year and everyone knew he wasn't staying longer than 3 yrs anyway.

I sure would like to know where you come up with all this stuff considering that the principal and the AD have both been on vacation for the last couple of weeks and they have both been on retreat all this week. Besides, I think that it has to be posted for 30 days.
bball fan Wrote:Tommy McKenzie- is the front runner and probably ready for a shot, but this sure isn't the dream job to start a career.

And exactly how have they treated them?

I think Allen Central fired their baseball coach after he won the region in '03 . The next coach lasted one year before he was ousted, by the help of some local folk. So they had three coaches in 3 years there.

Paintsville has has how many football coaches in the last 4 year? Now, with discontentment in their baseball program now. Will there be a new coach there?

Magoffin Co has had how many football coaches in the last 5 years?

Betsy Layne has had how many football coaches?

Pikeville's basketball program was in turmoil before two years ago, the football coach resigned to go back to a county rival, and the baseball coach was fired last year.

Shelby Valley ran off one of the most sucessful basketball coaches in 15th region history, (and if many had their way, Booher would be gone) and has never been able to keep a football coach or a baseball coach.

Sheldon Clark people more or less ran their basketball coach off this past season.

Lawrence County has struggled with mass defections in their football program since Williams left, and had three coaches in 4 years.

Either you live in a glass house or really dont keep up with a whole lot that goes on in the area.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:And exactly how have they treated them?

I think Allen Central fired their baseball coach after he won the region in '03 . The next coach lasted one year before he was ousted, by the help of some local folk. So they had three coaches in 3 years there.

Paintsville has has how many football coaches in the last 4 year? Now, with discontentment in their baseball program now. Will there be a new coach there?

Pikeville's basketball program was in turmoil before two years ago, the football coach resigned to go back to a county rival, and the baseball coach was fired last year.

Shelby Valley ran off one of the most sucessful basketball coaches in 15th region history, (and if many had their way, Booher would be gone) and has never been able to keep a football coach or a baseball coach.

Sheldon Clark people more or less ran their basketball coach off this past season.

Lawrence County has struggled with mass defections in their football program since Williams left, and had three coaches in 4 years.

Either you live in a glass house or really dont keep up with a whole lot that goes on in the area.

You do make some good points. I guess I just expect the basketball coach at JC to get better support from everyone involved in which they haven't. You mention some good examples but even you are putting JC in a pretty weak category when comparing them to AC baseball; Paintsville, Magoffin Co., and Betsy Layne football, and Sheldon Clark basketball. These are all programs that have struggled badly for the most part. Lawrence Co., SV and Pikeville are valid examples of good programs that have made some questionable decisions. I will give you that!!
:flame: :coach:
Mr.Kimball Wrote:And exactly how have they treated them?

bball fan Wrote:You do make some good points. I guess I just expect the basketball coach at JC to get better support from everyone involved in which they haven't. You mention some good examples but even you are putting JC in a pretty weak category when comparing them to AC baseball; Paintsville, Magoffin Co., and Betsy Layne football, and Sheldon Clark basketball. These are all programs that have struggled badly for the most part. Lawrence Co., SV and Pikeville are valid examples of good programs that have made some questionable decisions. I will give you that!!

I dont know about that. Allen Central has been a regional contender in baseball for the last 4 years. Paintsville is traditionaly one of the strongest Class A football programs in the state, and Sheldon Clark is second to no one in having raw talent. There has been a tremendous amount of talent that has transferred out of Martin County in the last 10 years. As for Magoffin Co. football they did not have too much trouble fielding some very good teams when Coach Caba was there. It just takes someone to want to make someone care about the program.

Just trying to make a point that just because coaching changes are made does not mean that these coaches were all treated badly. Sometimes they retire(in the case of Johnny Ray Turner) or get another job in whice they feel they are bettering themselves. Nothing wrong in either case. Does that mean they were mistreated? Not at all. Coaching changes are pretty much the norm in most school systems. Starnes made it very clear to all involved when he was hired that he did not plan to make Johnson County a permanent home. Everyone knew that he was not going to stay here no matter what level of success he acheived. There may be some school systems that have a tenured coach stay for many years, but it is rather the exception than the rule. Always remember that high school coaches are never given mutiple year contracts. All coaches are hired on a one year basis only.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I dont know about that. Allen Central has been a regional contender in baseball for the last 4 years. Paintsville is traditionaly one of the strongest Class A football programs in the state, and Sheldon Clark is second to no one in having raw talent. There has been a tremendous amount of talent that has transferred out of Martin County in the last 10 years. As for Magoffin Co. football they did not have too much trouble fielding some very good teams when Coach Caba was there. It just takes someone to want to make someone care about the program.

Just trying to make a point that just because coaching changes are made does not mean that these coaches were all treated badly. Sometimes they retire(in the case of Johnny Ray Turner) or get another job in whice they feel they are bettering themselves. Nothing wrong in either case. Does that mean they were mistreated? Not at all. Coaching changes are pretty much the norm in most school systems. Starnes made it very clear to all involved when he was hired that he did not plan to make Johnson County a permanent home. Everyone knew that he was not going to stay here no matter what level of success he acheived. There may be some school systems that have a tenured coach stay for many years, but it is rather the exception than the rule. Always remember that high school coaches are never given mutiple year contracts. All coaches are hired on a one year basis only.

Great post Mr Kimball.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I dont know about that. Allen Central has been a regional contender in baseball for the last 4 years. Paintsville is traditionaly one of the strongest Class A football programs in the state, and Sheldon Clark is second to no one in having raw talent. There has been a tremendous amount of talent that has transferred out of Martin County in the last 10 years. As for Magoffin Co. football they did not have too much trouble fielding some very good teams when Coach Caba was there. It just takes someone to want to make someone care about the program.

I second that.
bball fan Wrote:You do make some good points. I guess I just expect the basketball coach at JC to get better support from everyone involved in which they haven't.You mention some good examples but even you are putting JC in a pretty weak category when comparing them to AC baseball; Paintsville, Magoffin Co., and Betsy Layne football, and Sheldon Clark basketball. These are all programs that have struggled badly for the most part. Lawrence Co., SV and Pikeville are valid examples of good programs that have made some questionable decisions. I will give you that!!

What are you talkin about? Paintsville has had two maybe three down seasons in the last what, 10 years.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I sure would like to know where you come up with all this stuff considering that the principal and the AD have both been on vacation for the last couple of weeks and they have both been on retreat all this week. Besides, I think that it has to be posted for 30 days.

If you think the AD or the principal have a lot of say in this decision then you are very wrong. The boe is who will hire the next coach.
Mr. Whitaker has the ultimate decision. The board members may try to influence him, but ultimately it will be Mr. Whitaker's. BOE does not do any hiring or firing.
eaglehoops Wrote:If you think the AD or the principal have a lot of say in this decision then you are very wrong. The boe is who will hire the next coach.
No, you are the one who is very WRONG. The only person, and I mean the ONLY person who has the ultimate say so on hiring coaches is the PRINCIPAL. Not the BOE, not the Site Based Council, and not the AD. It is the principal, and the principal only.
Whitaker will do what he is told! He always has and always will. My info is legit so believe me or not, I could care less. I also have been told that Matthew Perry has been attending a camp @ Flat Gap Elem. with his son. Does anyone know if this is true?
I agree with Mr. Kimball on this one. Sorry eaglehoops but Kimball has forgotten more about the process than most of us will ever know in our lifetime.
eaglehoops Wrote:I also have been told that Matthew Perry has been attending a camp @ Flat Gap Elem. with his son. Does anyone know if this is true?

Ah, that don't mean nothin, Les Trimble use to take his boy to coach Runyon's camp.
I'll say this, if it's not Tommy McKenzie or Matthew Perry I will be SHOCKED! I'm not sure how the process goes, maybe Kimball can help us out there, but the boe will have a big say in this hire, and only 1 member is pushing hard for Tommy to get the job.
I really dont think that your information is 100% legit. Tommy McKenzie has a lot more people for him than you think. Again, since you are a school employee you should know that the principal does the hiring not the BOE. Do you know all of the board members personally? How do you even know that one is on McKenzie's side? Interesting!!!!!
i feel that if JC doesnt hire mckenzie he should look elsewhere
eaglehoops Wrote:I'll say this, if it's not Tommy McKenzie or Matthew Perry I will be SHOCKED! I'm not sure how the process goes, maybe Kimball can help us out there, but the boe will have a big say in this hire, and only 1 member is pushing hard for Tommy to get the job.

Not saying who it will be or who it will not be. Regardless, you can trash your theory on any board member having any influence on this hire. It doesn't matter who is pushing for who.
BigBlueNation Wrote:I really dont think that your information is 100% legit. Tommy McKenzie has a lot more people for him than you think. Again, since you are a school employee you should know that the principal does the hiring not the BOE. Do you know all of the board members personally? How do you even know that one is on McKenzie's side? Interesting!!!!!
Kind of obvious that hoops is not an employee, or they would know the very basics of the procedures.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Kind of obvious that hoops is not an employee, or they would know the very basics of the procedures.
He could be one that thinks he knows what he is talking about also! A little old school politics goes far, but not in this hire in my opinion.
Maybe BMR will come and then we could all throw down in the streets!! LOL!

Good luck Tommy! I wish you well.
The law may say the principal will make the choice in consultation with the Site Based Council AND no board member shall interfere with personnel decisions, BUT make no mistake that boe members do interfere and they do control some principals and they can have say if it is allowed--even though it isn't legal. I don't know JC politics, but I have watched them and know that eaglehoops has some knowledge of what is going on even if it isn't on the up and up.
UKRULES Wrote:The law may say the principal will make the choice in consultation with the Site Based Council AND no board member shall interfere with personnel decisions, BUT make no mistake that boe members do interfere and they do control some principals and they can have say if it is allowed--even though it isn't legal. I don't know JC politics, but I have watched them and know that eaglehoops has some knowledge of what is going on even if it isn't on the up and up.
Purely speculative and/or hypothetical on his part in this particular situation.
Everything I have said is my opinion, of course I don't know 100%! But I do talk directly with the principals and board members each and everyday and I was just trying to keep everyone informed on this situation. Not one person has been offered the job, but the list does include who I mentioned earlier and right now my $ would be on Tommy McKenzie or Matthew Perry. Perry has expressed a lot of interest and has visited JC this week for his sons little league tourney and for a camp. He would take the job in a heart beat if offered. McKenzie should IMO be given the chance to take over the program but like I said not everyone feels comfortable with his lack of experience as a coach. And for everyone saying the hire is up to the principal you are correct, however, at JC the board pretty much has the say over Mr. Whitaker. Trust me on that, I attend every board meeting. Whitaker will offically make the hire but the boe will do more than throw out a few names. And yes only 1 of them are pulling hard for Tommy McKenzie to get the job. I have no knowledge to how the actual process plays out but I do have the knowledge of what goes on at Central, but it's okay, talk about me all ya want, I love this board and all you mountain people so I'll keep postingSmile
BigBlueNation Wrote:I really dont think that your information is 100% legit. Tommy McKenzie has a lot more people for him than you think. Again, since you are a school employee you should know that the principal does the hiring not the BOE. Do you know all of the board members personally? How do you even know that one is on McKenzie's side? Interesting!!!!!

You are right he does have a lot of people on his side but Coach Perry has intrigued a lot of people at Central, me included.
eaglehoops Wrote:Everything I have said is my opinion, of course I don't know 100%! But I do talk directly with the principals and board members each and everyday and I was just trying to keep everyone informed on this situation. Not one person has been offered the job, but the list does include who I mentioned earlier and right now my $ would be on Tommy McKenzie or Matthew Perry. Perry has expressed a lot of interest and has visited JC this week for his sons little league tourney and for a camp. He would take the job in a heart beat if offered. McKenzie should IMO be given the chance to take over the program but like I said not everyone feels comfortable with his lack of experience as a coach. And for everyone saying the hire is up to the principal you are correct, however, at JC the board pretty much has the say over Mr. Whitaker. Trust me on that, I attend every board meeting. Whitaker will offically make the hire but the boe will do more than throw out a few names. And yes only 1 of them are pulling hard for Tommy McKenzie to get the job. I have no knowledge to how the actual process plays out but I do have the knowledge of what goes on at Central, but it's okay, talk about me all ya want, I love this board and all you mountain people so I'll keep postingSmile
The last 3 hires at J C were by the H S principals: Hall, Matney & Starns. Each by Trimble, Trimble & Whitaker. They may have asked for opinions from Board Members, who wouldn't? Your BOE is supposed to have a lot of experience in the hiring process and relations with the public. But I believe that one of the three hires was not wanted by the BOE, but was made anyway. It would surprise the heck out of you also!
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next