Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Williamsburg @Pikeville 11/16
45-14 Pikeville
42-21 Pikeville
pjdoug Wrote:That is good defense, but they haven't exactly played any teams that can air it out either. Dalton Ponder is the state's leading passer, and 7th in rushing.... I still think Pikeville will slow Ponder down, and make it tough for Williamsburg to score.

Works both ways. Ponder has a ton of yards against bad teams. Williamsburg scored 7 on Somerset and 13 on Paintsville, with one of those scores being a defensive TD. Pikeville's secondary is better than both of those teams. It's definitely going to be strengh vs. strength. Pikeville's offense is going to score a lot. Will be interesting to see how their defense handles Ponder. He is going to run it or throw it 90% of Williamsburg plays.
jetpilot Wrote:Works both ways. Ponder has a ton of yards against bad teams. Williamsburg scored 7 on Somerset and 13 on Paintsville, with one of those scores being a defensive TD. Pikeville's secondary is better than both of those teams. It's definitely going to be strengh vs. strength. Pikeville's offense is going to score a lot. Will be interesting to see how their defense handles Ponder. He is going to run it or throw it 90% of Williamsburg plays.

Don’t get me wrong Jet, I still fell like Williamsburg’s chances are slim to none but they moved the ball pretty well against Somerset and particularly Paintsville, just didn’t do well in the red zone and I can see that being a problem against Pikeville...But the Hazard game gives me a little hope, Pikeville is the better team IMO and should win this game, but regardless of the outcome I am proud of my little bitty school...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OldJacket Wrote:Don’t get me wrong Jet, I still fell like Williamsburg’s chances are slim to none but they moved the ball pretty well against Somerset and particularly Paintsville, just didn’t do well in the red zone and I can see that being a problem against Pikeville...But the Hazard game gives me a little hope, Pikeville is the better team IMO and should win this game, but regardless of the outcome I am proud of my little bitty school...

Williamsburg is very good, no doubt about it. I didn't say Pikeville was going to shut them down lol, I'm just anxious to see if they are ramping up to championship D. I said the same thing last week then Cook got hurt early so this is the game we find out. Two best teams in the region and whoever wins is going to have to come up big.
jetpilot Wrote:Works both ways. Ponder has a ton of yards against bad teams. Williamsburg scored 7 on Somerset and 13 on Paintsville, with one of those scores being a defensive TD. Pikeville's secondary is better than both of those teams. It's definitely going to be strengh vs. strength. Pikeville's offense is going to score a lot. Will be interesting to see how their defense handles Ponder. He is going to run it or throw it 90% of Williamsburg plays.

Is Hazard a bad team? He scored 6 times against them.
jetpilot Wrote:Williamsburg is very good, no doubt about it. I didn't say Pikeville was going to shut them down lol, I'm just anxious to see if they are ramping up to championship D. I said the same thing last week then Cook got hurt early so this is the game we find out. Two best teams in the region and whoever wins is going to have to come up big.

The team last week is mediocre. This Williamsburg team is good, but I don't think they'll be able to score enough to keep up with Pikeville.
pjdoug Wrote:Is Hazard a bad team? He scored 6 times against them.

No, but they lost to every good team they faced this year. Pikeville is a completely different animal than Hazard at this stage of the game.
pjdoug Wrote:The team last week is mediocre. This Williamsburg team is good, but I don't think they'll be able to score enough to keep up with Pikeville.

I think the Pikeville defense is going to make a believer out of you this week dougie.:popcorn:
jetpilot Wrote:No, but they lost to every good team they faced this year. Pikeville is a completely different animal than Hazard at this stage of the game.

Pikeville squeaked past Hazard.
jetpilot Wrote:I think the Pikeville defense is going to make a believer out of you this week dougie.:popcorn:

They already did early in the season. Dalton Ponder is going to make a believer of you and make you sweat. lol
pjdoug Wrote:Pikeville squeaked past Hazard.

They didn't sqeak past Paintsville though, that team that Williamsburg offense scored 7 on. You know not to compare scores.
jetpilot Wrote:They didn't sqeak past Paintsville though, that team that Williamsburg offense scored 7 on. You know not to compare scores.

That was before they had a running back to go with Ponder. You'll need a nerve pill Friday night. lol
pjdoug Wrote:That was before they had a running back to go with Ponder. You'll need a nerve pill Friday night. lol

Nah, I'll probably be at Buffalo Wild Wings by halftime having a beer and checking the Raceland/Paintsville updates on my phone.:devilflam:biggrin:
Hey Jet, why don’t you fly down here and pick me up for the game, I will have beer and wings with you
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OldJacket Wrote:Hey Jet, why don’t you fly down here and pick me up for the game, I will have beer and wings with you

The plane is grounded, come up though and I will definitely buy the wings and beer. You too dougie.:Thumbs:
jetpilot Wrote:The plane is grounded, come up though and I will definitely buy the wings and beer. You too dougie.:Thumbs:

Sounds like I need to make a trip with OldJacket to Pikeville. I don't like wings though :biglmao:
pjdoug Wrote:Sounds like I need to make a trip with OldJacket to Pikeville. I don't like wings though :biglmao:

I will buy wings, beer, and whatever else you guys want from the food menu.:truestory:
Maybe you can have a mead.
jetpilot Wrote:I will buy wings, beer, and whatever else you guys want from the food menu.:truestory:

Cant beat that deal at Cas Walker's That's a local saying, and if you need to know who Cas Walker is you can see him here Smile.
You guys are talking about the offense and you are right their quarterback is very elusive but what films I watched their defense has really improved from last year. I also watched the Paintsville game with Williamsburg and Oldjacket May have been there but look like to me Paintsville shot themselves in the foot with a lot of penalties on drives they where on. Yes the quarterback is the key to this game you have to control him in some way. Defensively they get to the ball quick and that has looked good on film. As we all know different game and different styles so we have to wait until Friday and it’s only Monday. Match ups are the key to most games and will be in this one but as always GO PANTHERS!!!
E's Army Wrote:Maybe you can have a mead.

You can celebrate your loss with a glass of Boone's Farm.
pjdoug Wrote:That is good defense, but they haven't exactly played any teams that can air it out either. Dalton Ponder is the state's leading passer, and 7th in rushing.... I still think Pikeville will slow Ponder down, and make it tough for Williamsburg to score.
Not trying to be too argumentive here, not knowing what your definition of "air it out" teams is. So I checked it out, Williamsburg has thrown for 2835 yards this year. That's airing it out for sure. Against Somerset, they threw for 142 yards, Paintsville, 48 yards, and 268 vs Hazard.

Hazard has thrown for 1972 yards this year, got 110 vs Pikeville. Lexington Christian has thrown for 2102 yards this year, 138 vs Pikeville. Paintsville has thrown for 870 yards this year, passed for 12 against Pikeville.

Common opponents: Hazard and Paintsville. Hazard passed for 110 vs Pikeville, Pikeville passed for 134 vs Hazard. Hazard passed for 120 and gave up 268 against Williamsburg. Paintsville threw for 12 against Pikeville and gave up 193. Against Williamsburg, they passed for 172 and gave up 48 yards passing.

So it's all about match ups. I think these two teams match up pretty well and the key will be keeping contain on Ponder, so line play and setting the edges will be the key.
pjdoug Wrote:That was before they had a running back to go with Ponder. You'll need a nerve pill Friday night. lol
Who is the RB to go with Ponder? Seriously, other than Ponder, they have had NO ONE go over 88 yards rushing this season in a game. Snell got 88 in one, Davis got 87 in another, and all the rest were 30 yard games. They got some top secret RB they been waiting to spring at the last minute?
After watching Williamsburg, they have a hard time stopping teams. Frankfort's QB had a lot of success running the ball against them. Pikeville's QB is better than Frankfort's, so that doesn't bode well for Williamsburg. I can see Williamsburg scoring some points in this game, but I don't see how they are going to stop Pikeville. I'll say 49-21 Pikeville.
PHSForever Wrote:Who is the RB to go with Ponder? Seriously, other than Ponder, they have had NO ONE go over 88 yards rushing this season in a game. Snell got 88 in one, Davis got 87 in another, and all the rest were 30 yard games. They got some top secret RB they been waiting to spring at the last minute?

I didn't say they had the state's leading rusher. lol. Davis adds a threat, and is an all around good ball player. Besides that they have good receivers that run good routes.I still don't think they will beat Pikeville.
Pikeville runs clock.
FootballFan1999 Wrote:Pikeville runs clock.
I don't see that happening, and I love my team. But I do think we win.

Williamsburg D averages (not counting Jellico because I can't find D stats for that one) giving up 334 yards per game offense (208.7 rush and 125.4 pass). Thought 11 games, Pikeville D is giving up an average of 185 ypg (139.4 rush and 45.7 pass).

In the common opponents so far:

Lynn Camp rushed for 288 and passed for 59 vs Williamsburg (98 and 8 respectively vs Pikeville)
Hazard rushed for 287 and passed for 120 (285 and 110 vs Pikeville)
Paintsville rushed for 110 and passed for 172 (182 and 21 vs Pikeville)
PINEVILLE rushed for 161 and passed for 92 ( 60 and 11 vs Pikeville)

These numbers are purely for people to read and be informed. I know there's a lot of variables, but I'm seeing some posts about O and D, and just giving readers the stats to save them from toggling over to KHSAA.
I think Williamsburg has improved more throughout the season than pikeville has. With that said I don't think it'll be enough to take down the Panthers. It'll be better game than most will care to believe though.
I think this is likely a Pikeville win by a couple of touchdowns. Jackets are playing on this stage a year earlier than expected. Great run and think this could set the stage for a big 2019 in Williamsburg.