Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coaching Carousel
Harlan coach has only been there one year why is he leaving already?
that what i am saying E Army
Apparently, West Carter is open.
Don Draper Wrote:Apparently, West Carter is open.

Coach Brown is retiring.
How can you keep the coach in Middlesboro 9-32-1 in 4 years and will be worse next year! Can someone explain this to me?
For most schools, win and losses do not matter. If a coach runs a good program and doesn't ask for too much and keeps any issues from crossing the principal's desk, then he is good.
With Coach Brown retiring, there is only one choice to fill this position: West Carter grad and former Campbellsville Fighting Tiger Kelly Perry. Perry has been part of three state championships and also coached a nationally ranked team. He is without a doubt what they need to take West to the next level.
Will he come with that resume?
Where is he now?
What school has he been coaching at?
Big Chief Wrote:For most schools, win and losses do not matter. If a coach runs a good program and doesn't ask for too much and keeps any issues from crossing the principal's desk, then he is good.

I agree with this, but I also know that it is difficult to keep a program well organized and keep the issues to a minimum when there is an excessive amount of losing.
Truthhurts Wrote:How can you keep the coach in Middlesboro 9-32-1 in 4 years and will be worse next year! Can someone explain this to me?

Wait, they had a tie game? When was this? And, how was this?
Big Chief Wrote:For most schools, win and losses do not matter. If a coach runs a good program and doesn't ask for too much and keeps any issues from crossing the principal's desk, then he is good.

This is it, 100%.

If a coach at a public high school is fired over wins and losses, then it better be a public high school that can recruit players and he just hasn't performed.

The fact that these teams and coaches are ultimately up to the whim of the genetics, economics, social, cultural, and political beliefs of a specific area, leads me to believe that there is a lot more to winning and losing games than simply the job the coach is doing. A really good coach stays in the same area, but the area is hammered by an economic depression, causing people to leave. The wins stop being there. Is it because he's suddenly a bad coach? Or because the talent was part of families who had to leave to find employment?

Too many people view coaching high school as essentially the same as coaching in college or the NFL. And, that is one of the big reasons it is difficult to find quality coaches in this state.
I would say it was a game that was stopped due to weather.
LCC coach would not surprise me at all. I remember when they was District 4 years ago and now they are a cake walk for teams. They have great players and a WONDERFUL field and atmosphere. THEY DESERVE A GREAT COACH.
Don’t know. Was told he has already told players
Has been at Beechwood (I believe) but do not think he is in the school system. That could be an issue if correct. Employment in NKY vs EKY unfortunately 2 opposite ends of the spectrum.
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:Has been at Beechwood (I believe) but do not think he is in the school system. That could be an issue if correct. Employment in NKY vs EKY unfortunately 2 opposite ends of the spectrum.

Correct, he has worked as an assistant at Beechwood. primarily with the younger kids, I believe. I agree that he would be a fantastic hire, but not working for the school system could be a huge issue. There are not many jobs in his field in the Olive Hill area.
was Beechwood nationally ranked? Is that the only school he has coached at?
TheHotSnakes Wrote:This is it, 100%.

If a coach at a public high school is fired over wins and losses, then it better be a public high school that can recruit players and he just hasn't performed.

The fact that these teams and coaches are ultimately up to the whim of the genetics, economics, social, cultural, and political beliefs of a specific area, leads me to believe that there is a lot more to winning and losing games than simply the job the coach is doing. A really good coach stays in the same area, but the area is hammered by an economic depression, causing people to leave. The wins stop being there. Is it because he's suddenly a bad coach? Or because the talent was part of families who had to leave to find employment?

Too many people view coaching high school as essentially the same as coaching in college or the NFL. And, that is one of the big reasons it is difficult to find quality coaches in this state.

Yep.

Much easier for those who are qualified to go do things just as-if not more- enjoyable to say “to hell with it”, and go spend a lot more time doing things that don’t cause an excessive amount of headaches for little to no real financial incentive(s).

This is true at many locations especially in the county schools...but it does have an expiration date. When you consistenly find most of them this time of year in the #4 spot in the playoffs or already at basketball practice then wins and losses begin to matter.
Lets stay on topic please
hchs fan Wrote:Lets stay on topic please

OK:
No head football jobs in state on KHSAA at this time
West Carter's HC is retiring but unknown if coach in waiting already in place
1st wave of openings between now and Thanksgiving
2nd wave before Christmas
3rd, and maybe most interesting wave due to timing, after 1/1/2018
And the 4th wave, which are the ones that come open after mid March or so.
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:OK:
No head football jobs in state on KHSAA at this time
West Carter's HC is retiring but unknown if coach in waiting already in place
1st wave of openings between now and Thanksgiving
2nd wave before Christmas
3rd, and maybe most interesting wave due to timing, after 1/1/2018
There's a guy on staff there who is more than capable of taking over and may be the HC in waiting. I won't say a name or anything for privacy purposes, but the WC program will be in great hands.
Haywood should stay closer to home when he picks a major D1 college. I mean WV sounds like the perfect fit. Already knows all the kids... +2
I don't see many changes coming in CKY (my current neck of the woods). Woodford and Harrison are winless, but Johnson is the AD at Woodford and Furnish had things going well for Harrison last season.

Dunbar was winless and was the only 6A school to miss the playoffs if I looked at it correctly. They have changed coaches quite a bit, so that may be the one school that has a change.
TheHotSnakes Wrote:Calloway County in 4A is also winless, but they only played 9 games.

And, for a fun fact, 15% of 4A is winless in the regular season.

Calloway County HC position is now listed as open on the KHSAA site. Maybe I missed this elsewhere.
Don Draper Wrote:I don't see many changes coming in CKY (my current neck of the woods). Woodford and Harrison are winless, but Johnson is the AD at Woodford and Furnish had things going well for Harrison last season.

Dunbar was winless and was the only 6A school to miss the playoffs if I looked at it correctly. They have changed coaches quite a bit, so that may be the one school that has a change.

I know Dunbar seems to be THE mystery of Kentucky High School Football, however there are some positives:

1) Financially. Someone with 10-20 years experience and a Rank 1 could go there and make in the neighborhood of 80K give or take both teaching and coaching. It would just obviously depend years of experience and/or rank

2) Nowhere to go, but up. Of course that's been said what seems like most every year since the early 2000's, but it's the truth.

They have 70-80 kids year in year out & have not been very good; as bad as it gets some years in 6A. Who comes out if you start winning just a little bit?

3) I made mention of this in another thread, but I think some of the "BEST" jobs are those where you are having to compete with "like" people. As much crap as Fayette County schools receive in terms of football (and it might be vailid); at Dunbar you are competing against people just like you. Same town. Same enrollments. Same facilities. Same clientele in the school.

In so many districts across so many classes in this state you have said Rural County High School's competing against tradition rich/facilities out the wa-zoo along with talent Independent &/or Private that is a COMPLETELY different community than yours.

That's not the case with Dunbar; nor any of Fayette County.

Why has Sam Simpson been able to stay at Henry Clay for so long. but the rest of the schools can't keep a coach for much longer than a few years at a time?

Scott County is splitting in a couple years; so they will be out of the way. That will leave an all Fayette County district.

4) Facilities. While the sharing of the field/being landlocked has to be a pain; there is something to be said for not ever having to do any field maintenance. Coaches in a lot of places have to spend hours tending to their fields.

5) Go win at Dunbar; even if it's .500 or above a time or two over the next few years.....what place WON'T hire you then? It could be a great spring board for somebody (or maybe it's a place you hang out forever; leaving that kind of money will be hard for anybody unless it's to another Fayette County school &/or Jefferson County).

I could be very wrong, but something tells me that maybe Dunbar has hit rock bottom and realizing they are Einstein's definition of insanity. If they haven't then as the expression goes "Flood the place and start all over". If the administration & parents aren't taking a long look in the mirror this time around, then they never will.

Give somebody the keys. Get the hell out of the way.

GRC was left for dead and Oliver Lucas went in there this year and was able to win some games with his approach. He saw something in them; maybe Dunbar and/or somebody will find the same relationship this time around.
Dunbar for it's salary reasons alone would be enticing for a coach who wants to boost his or get his high 3 in before possible changes to system take place..... and cash in sick days.