Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Support Rowan County Clerk
Truth Wrote:Words, particularly when preached between the pews to the choir are fine but ineffective. How about some of these good godly preachers openly organizing and supporting boycotts? They could start with Burger King who now markets a Whopper in a multicolored wrapper. Their statement is that we are all the same inside. I would think these fine leaders of the faith would step up and be counted. I doubt that they will be stoned to death as was St. Stephen. Of course, they may lose a few dollars from the collection plate. But, is that really such a harsh punishment?

He is very active in speaking out. He is also often requested by other churches to attend events because of his activism on the different subjects. He's incredibly bright and throwing liberal media talking points at him will not work like it does on the internet to the average joe. Hes still pretty young and energetic, only in his late 30's and he will accept anyone into his office to talk whether its about faith or not, and if a gay couple called tomorrow and asked for a meeting he would meet with them and not discriminate against them in anyway and talk to them about what they wanted to and answer any questions they may have. Unlike plantmans opinion off of one post, hes extremely personal and ive personally seen him dedicate time and his own money to help different people, even those who are not members or even believers for that matter.
It also hasn't hurt our collection plate. Our attendance numbers have increased substantially over the past few years and our youth groups have more than tripled. Weve also bought adjoining lands to start building a bigger church as ours is no longer large enough to hold the members. If anything, im finding that in this time of remarkable blasphemy, the people in our community are actually seeing an increase in believers and church goers, at least at our church, im not seeing the doors falling off some of the others.
I like one of his approaches to offerings. Im sure you all know the readings on tithes and offerings, but he puts it pretty simple. Put your faith in the Church and Christ, donate what you can, if you can, start out at 1% for that matter, and after 6 months if the lord hasn't blessed you with better financial opportunities in life to where you actually want to donate more, then the church will write you a check for every dime you offered back. I don't know of any others who have tried this approach, but its an awesome ideal for those struggling and torn on deciding whether or not they can do it. And as far as I know, nobody has requested it back :biggrin: Its little ideals like that, that set him and the church we attend apart for me. You have to update and stay with the times, but you cant change the word. It seems a lot of churches have struggled with choosing between the two when you really don't have too.
I have noticed that the one catholic church in Corbin, which has always had a pretty significant amount of members by the way, is looking less and less filled every time I drive by. Personally I cant speak on the matter because I know nothing of it, but I know we have a couple of catholic members on this site, and i think maybe even you told me you were truth, and im curious if this is happening in other places as well.
I share in the disappointment, and the blame, for the Church's lack of vitality where it comes to active resistance to the transformation of our society towards the dark side. We all need to do more. However, though Truth is right in his observation that many Church members and Pastors for that matter, are more about talking and not much about doing, the Church is still the bastion of truth she has always been. And, the Scriptures are the great storehouse of that truth.

And though I'm glad that the Church still speaks out against sin, on the secular side of things, up until the present administration stomped the gas pedal, we as a society had already been taking baby steps toward complete rebellion against our Lord. Beginning with the ACLU suit in 1947 which stopped parochial school students from getting a ride on public school system busses which, in turn saw the birth of a twisted notion of the separation of Church and state, and on to the ridiculous exploits of Madeline O'Hare and finally the antics of the Supremely misguided Court, we have been moving away from giving God His due for some time now.

I believe that unfortunately, many Americans have a rather compartmentalized view of Christian service. Sundays and Wednesday evenings are spent at Church and fearing rejection by the community at large, the rest of the week Christians just sort of want to blend in with everybody else. This live and let live approach has seen the constant retreat of the truth and our nation's moral sensitivities, until now it exists mostly within the walls of the Church. And as we have been speaking, that sanctuary too is under attack and it will only get worse. As I have said, we the Church have failed to meet the enemy head on so God has brought the fight to us. This deal with gay rights has swiftly permeated the halls of state and federal government, and it will soon find it's way onto the floor of the Church.

One more thing. The irony of all this is when Christians who have been so careful not to offend anyone because of their faith do manage to get up off the mat, they can expect contempt to rain down upon them unlike anything they have ever seen. The Church has backed up for so long and been quiet for so long, that it is now the world which judges the Church. The left believe they have won and, looking at recent Supreme Court rulings, that would seem to be the case. Surely every Christian must now know that in fading from confrontation with the world, they have greatly intensified what is coming. There has to be one last line that we cannot allow the left's encroachment to cross. And, fueled by so many victories, the left is not about to shrink back now. It's coming.

The Church will prevail according to God's Word. I've seen nothing however, which suggests that America will survive other than in the conversation between Abraham and the Lord where His reluctance to destroy Sodom for the sake of the righteous people who may have lived there is revealed and for whom Abraham interceded. As it turned out there was only one, that being Lot. I have my fingers crossed because we have many more righteous than one Lot living in this land but, it is time for the righteous to speak out against sin.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Two fine posts by RunItUpTheGut and TheRealThing. Such posts offer a glimmer of hope for those who see the fight against the amoral liberal onslaught as being devastatingly lost.

TheRealThing mentions the Catholic Church. While I am not a Catholic, I have a strong Catholic background and am a proud graduate of a Catholic school. The Catholic Church, although by far the largest Christian believing church on earth, has lost its way. It is true that the sex scandals have caused a lot of damage. However, the truth is that no church is without problems in that area- publicized and unpublicized. The unfortunate election of the liberal Jesuit, Frank, as Pope has deepened the problem. Attendance at Catholic churches is on the decline but that, again, is the case with all churches. The problem, I believe, is with the younger generation and its emphasis on self, non-judgment, permissiveness, and no standards of behavior. I still blame most of this on poor or no parenting where the values, or lack thereof, for these young people are being set by, for the most part, the government schools with their "all inclusive" brainwashing. Of course, the social influences of the media and the entertainment industry play their role, too.

Churches of all persuasions, in order to "attract" the youth, tend to be big on social events. Lots and lots of social events seeking to entertain. Conversely, I see less and less churches actually involving their congregations, particularly the youth, in real outreaches to the poor, underfed, sick, and needy. It seems like a rivalry for members between different "retailers". In other words, congregations, including the Catholics, have lost their true mission. Somehow I can't visualize Christ taking His followers to a Christian rock concert, with a stop at Buffalo Wild Wings afterwards, while passing beggars on the streets.
Great points by several posters in this thread. I am going to add my own.

I like to think like Ted Cruz in that God is not finished with America yet. We certainly need to pray to God and rely on His Wisdom and Courage to lead the way, but He wants US to TAKE ACTION.

First off, TAKE ACTION, how?

1. Become involved with a group like the American Family Association or Family Research Council, groups I am proudly involved with that are labeled "hate groups" by the Southern Poverty Law Center because they do not conform to the liberal agenda. The AFA and FRC both have emails you can send to your representatives about a various issue with the click of a button, be it dealing with abortion, marriage, or something else.

2. If the AFA and FRC aren't directly taking on the cause, email your representatives - send a word of encouragement if they are being lambasted for defending their values (e.g. Kim Davis) or send an email out to the governor, etc. stating your opinion. While they may oppose your position, we have to take a stand - and we need not be afraid of taking it. One email can make a difference, especially if...

3. You tell your friends about it and send them the cause!!!

4. Donate - for example, Harry Rex Vonner encouraged us all when he took action on the scenario that occurred a while back when the owners of Memories Pizza received threats and fake orders that forced them to close their business down for a few days. They received these because they (being set up by the media) answered that they would not cater to a same-sex "wedding." I'm not meaning to thump my chest, but I donated to that and to the flower shop in Washington, D.C. I also donated to Sweet Cakes by Melissa as they are currently being attacked for their faith. These are small amounts I am donating, but even $1 makes a difference. It's much more than donating - it's getting your voice out.

5. It's pretty easy to sign a petition online. Watch for those via email when you're involved with the AFA or FRC, or through Facebook pages/websites for politicians.

6. Speak out - don't be afraid. Political conversations often come up at the place I work, a place that is has mostly fiscal conservative/social liberals with Republican leanings. When Church and/or social issues come up, I don't back down one bit on my values. Not just there but anywhere else. If the conversation comes up, I respectfully yet firmly speak my mind.

7. Make the effort to reach out. I'm going to be training with somebody who has liberal leanings that left the Church not too long ago. We'll be able to talk quite a bit through this. I'm friends with a gay person. She knows quite well my Christian beliefs, Republican leanings, and advocating for traditional values. I have other friends who are atheist/agnostic I have reached out to after seeing posts from them on social media.

8. Be involved in your community. Like Truth said, that is far beyond going to Christian rock concerts followed by a trip to Buffalo Wild Wings. Volunteer time - see if your Church has a program and a plan in place to help those that are in need, and if not take the initiative to establish one. Whether inside or outside of the Church, your presence in the community is heavily important.
Good post by WideRoght05. In light of the way this country is moving, I'd add an important #10. Get your concealed carry permit and keep several legal firearms and plenty of boxes of shells at your disposal.
I'll add another one to that - the Democratic party is not the only party that needs to feel our wrath. Republican groups have been sending out surveys lately as to the most important issues. Make sure to stress the importance of continuing to advocate for marriage as between one man and one woman, religious freedom, and the representation of Christian values.
WideRight05 Wrote:Great points by several posters in this thread. I am going to add my own.

I like to think like Ted Cruz in that God is not finished with America yet. We certainly need to pray to God and rely on His Wisdom and Courage to lead the way, but He wants US to TAKE ACTION.

First off, TAKE ACTION, how?

1. Become involved with a group like the American Family Association or Family Research Council, groups I am proudly involved with that are labeled "hate groups" by the Southern Poverty Law Center because they do not conform to the liberal agenda. The AFA and FRC both have emails you can send to your representatives about a various issue with the click of a button, be it dealing with abortion, marriage, or something else.

2. If the AFA and FRC aren't directly taking on the cause, email your representatives - send a word of encouragement if they are being lambasted for defending their values (e.g. Kim Davis) or send an email out to the governor, etc. stating your opinion. While they may oppose your position, we have to take a stand - and we need not be afraid of taking it. One email can make a difference, especially if...

3. You tell your friends about it and send them the cause!!!

4. Donate - for example, Harry Rex Vonner encouraged us all when he took action on the scenario that occurred a while back when the owners of Memories Pizza received threats and fake orders that forced them to close their business down for a few days. They received these because they (being set up by the media) answered that they would not cater to a same-sex "wedding." I'm not meaning to thump my chest, but I donated to that and to the flower shop in Washington, D.C. I also donated to Sweet Cakes by Melissa as they are currently being attacked for their faith. These are small amounts I am donating, but even $1 makes a difference. It's much more than donating - it's getting your voice out.

5. It's pretty easy to sign a petition online. Watch for those via email when you're involved with the AFA or FRC, or through Facebook pages/websites for politicians.

6. Speak out - don't be afraid. Political conversations often come up at the place I work, a place that is has mostly fiscal conservative/social liberals with Republican leanings. When Church and/or social issues come up, I don't back down one bit on my values. Not just there but anywhere else. If the conversation comes up, I respectfully yet firmly speak my mind.

7. Make the effort to reach out. I'm going to be training with somebody who has liberal leanings that left the Church not too long ago. We'll be able to talk quite a bit through this. I'm friends with a gay person. She knows quite well my Christian beliefs, Republican leanings, and advocating for traditional values. I have other friends who are atheist/agnostic I have reached out to after seeing posts from them on social media.

8. Be involved in your community. Like Truth said, that is far beyond going to Christian rock concerts followed by a trip to Buffalo Wild Wings. Volunteer time - see if your Church has a program and a plan in place to help those that are in need, and if not take the initiative to establish one. Whether inside or outside of the Church, your presence in the community is heavily important.

This is the real calling of every Christian. If one takes the time to study the ministries in which Christ participated, they will notice that very often, almost exclusively, He dealt with people one on one. It does not take a Charles Spurgeon or Billy Graham to speak to someone about the direction this world has taken. And consequently too is conversation about spiritual matters, as the two are inseparable truths for our time. Everybody recognizes the madness of late breaking Supreme Court rulings and the overwhelming abundance of scandals associated with the present administration. All, and I do mean ALL, of our troubles in this country and the world, are due to man's arrogance and his resistance to the truths of God's Word. We have as a nation turned our backs on Him and we are paying the piper as the result. It is so obvious that anybody can see the connection if they choose.

That is the true power of the Church, sharing one's testimony and the power of God in one's life. I believe that Church leaders and every layperson should be ready to speak out against sin. However, things have gotten so out of hand that, as we have seen, when the Pope tried to pressure our President to not pursue birth control within the Catholic Church, he got blown off for his efforts. We live in a time when men and women in high office believe they know what is best for man, even to the point where they are saying that the Bible does not really apply that well in today's world. It's full of allegory according to them. But, there is not one word that is passé, not so much as one iota in fact. At any rate, it's time for all Christians to step up, I can assure them that they will be very glad they did when they face the living God.

No, I believe that statement by J. Vernon McGee is the best medicine for our time. "Just preach the gospel the same way Christ did, and let the chips fall where they may. Christ will be the One Who adds to the Church daily, not some preacher or teacher. We don't need gimmicks and we don't need to compromise." And my two cents, we don't need to gather thousands of people to hear us, one at a time as we have been called to faithfully witness, will do the trick.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Truth Wrote:Two fine posts by RunItUpTheGut and TheRealThing. Such posts offer a glimmer of hope for those who see the fight against the amoral liberal onslaught as being devastatingly lost.

TheRealThing mentions the Catholic Church. While I am not a Catholic, I have a strong Catholic background and am a proud graduate of a Catholic school. The Catholic Church, although by far the largest Christian believing church on earth, has lost its way. It is true that the sex scandals have caused a lot of damage. However, the truth is that no church is without problems in that area- publicized and unpublicized. The unfortunate election of the liberal Jesuit, Frank, as Pope has deepened the problem. Attendance at Catholic churches is on the decline but that, again, is the case with all churches. The problem, I believe, is with the younger generation and its emphasis on self, non-judgment, permissiveness, and no standards of behavior. I still blame most of this on poor or no parenting where the values, or lack thereof, for these young people are being set by, for the most part, the government schools with their "all inclusive" brainwashing. Of course, the social influences of the media and the entertainment industry play their role, too.

Churches of all persuasions, in order to "attract" the youth, tend to be big on social events. Lots and lots of social events seeking to entertain. Conversely, I see less and less churches actually involving their congregations, particularly the youth, in real outreaches to the poor, underfed, sick, and needy. It seems like a rivalry for members between different "retailers". In other words, congregations, including the Catholics, have lost their true mission. Somehow I can't visualize Christ taking His followers to a Christian rock concert, with a stop at Buffalo Wild Wings afterwards, while passing beggars on the streets.

One of the best sentences ive ever seen on BGR.
Ive often asked this same question. The happiness and fulfillment bestowed on you would be so much greater after helping someone than watching a few bands play and getting garbage food.