Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2015 Class 3A Pre-Season Top 10
Wildcat18 Wrote:As far as the middle school landscape, Corbin didn't leave D2 because of Belfry. The KMSFA reworked the numbers and that's where it fell. If anything, I'd say that gave Belfry a favor during those years. We must not forget that Corbin won the title in a much more difficult D1 this season. I wouldn't taunt Corbin too much if I were you. Word through the grapevine is they're coming back to D2 very soon.

The only reason Corbin was in D1 is they had a massive 8th grade class that was large enough even with the 2 year average to put them in D1. They should have fell back to D2 this year without the change in numbers but with the new realignment numbers there is no doubt.

Remember the old NFL films show where they pitted Super Bowl champs against each other. 2012 Belfry Middle vs. 2014 Corbin Middle would be one I'd like to see.

Talk about some wars in the next few years in the semi-state. They are coming. :popcorn:
Let's hope they drop back down I'm middle school cause Div 2 is to easy. I would like to see Belfry move to Div 1.
1. Belfry
2. Lou Central
3. Lex Cath
4. Boyle
5. Corbin

The top two both have alot coming back...but both have big holes to fill. Central has to find some offense somewhere. Belfry has to find an effective fullback and hope Corbett continues to develop. Defensively....Central will be as strong as ever...albeit not dominating as in 2009-2010, etc. Pirates will be fine. Probably the best defensive line in the state...regardless of class.

3A is going to be exciting to follow. Can't wait.

Congrats to Cole Bentley! Keep it up!
I don't understand why a few is picking Caldwell county to be in the top 10. They are a school we never heard of that had a few all stars at once that are now gone. I doubt Caldwell will be much of a factor, and will be back to being average.
FBfan4life Wrote:They will be just fine at the QB spot. They have a GREAT one in the making. Let's just wait and see.

I'm told the great one was a wide receiver last year and has never played QB at the varsity level. Is this true?
Boyle. Lex Cath. Belfry. Corbin. Central.
proud44pirate Wrote:Can the Corbin fans remember how bad Belfry beat down on an unbeaten Corbin middle 2 years ago. So all those kids are sophomores now, not sure how many of those Corbin kids saw varsity action but I know 7 of those Belfry kids have started. Let the beaten start again. You will run to another division just like your middle school has. Run run run, run from Belfry.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but 2 years ago Corbin Middle School was NOT undefeated when they played Belfry. That I know for a fact. They had 2 losses before they played Belfry at Johnson Central.
Jack Lambert Wrote:I'm told the great one was a wide receiver last year and has never played QB at the varsity level. Is this true?

Well you keep thinking Jack. You'll see soon enough.
FBfan4life Wrote:Well you keep thinking Jack. You'll see soon enough.

I'm not thinking just repeating what I was told. I'm also being told LC will have a run heavy offense this season because of the inexperience at QB if that's the case I can't wait to see it.
FBfan4life Wrote:Well you keep thinking Jack. You'll see soon enough.

You still didn't answer my question.
Glad boyle, and lex cath moved to 3a. Now there might be a team in this class that can register on an EKG. Since central took a step back there hasn't been one.
I hate to get this started, because I know with this being a primarily east site, I will be blasted for this, but none the less, it is the truth. Belfry is no longer going the be the king of this class. Central played them tough this year and they will be reloaded next year. Then you add in the other two POWER house teams in Boyle County and Lexington Catholic and its a different landscape now. I would not be surprised to see either of those two teams hoist the trophy next year. Then PT is going to be much better. They were a young and small bunch last year. They also will benefit from the coaching problems at McCracken. I suspect they will grow greatly in numbers next season.
How has no one ever heard of Caldwell Co. They have 3-4 state titles. They also have some runners up trophies. They are always a pretty solid bunch. Their junior class of next year is pretty solid too. I remember their 8th grade year they were unbeaten until our Cards beat them on their way through the playoffs.
mysonis55 Wrote:How has no one ever heard of Caldwell Co. They have 3-4 state titles. They also have some runners up trophies. They are always a pretty solid bunch. Their junior class of next year is pretty solid too. I remember their 8th grade year they were unbeaten until our Cards beat them on their way through the playoffs.

You are misinformed im new to this area, and was looking for a quality small town team to follow. A local suggested Caldwell county, and let me look at last years preseason paper that show there history. They have 2 titles, and 1 runner up. 1 of the titles in the 60's, 1 in the 90's, and a recent runner up. A team that gets to the title game once every 20 years aint a power. There record most years is slightly better than .500. They are a slightly above average team. They have only made it to the semis 3 times, and won the region 4 or 5 times, that's why no one on the other side of the state has heard of them. I doubt ill get on there bandwagon.
mysonis55 Wrote:I hate to get this started, because I know with this being a primarily east site, I will be blasted for this, but none the less, it is the truth. Belfry is no longer going the be the king of this class. Central played them tough this year and they will be reloaded next year. Then you add in the other two POWER house teams in Boyle County and Lexington Catholic and its a different landscape now. I would not be surprised to see either of those two teams hoist the trophy next year. Then PT is going to be much better. They were a young and small bunch last year. They also will benefit from the coaching problems at McCracken. I suspect they will grow greatly in numbers next season.

Despite Belfry winning the last two 3A rings......Overall...I doubt many Belfry fans would suggest the Pirates are the Kings of this Class. While Belfry did get the proverbial "Central Monkey" off it's back by finally knocking them off.......I think most peoople still view Lousiville Central as the standard bearer...with Belfry a close second.

Both programs are well coached. Scroggins is tremendous in game plan execution...and they simply overwhelm teams with speed and athleticism.

Belfry has been on an unprecedented run of talent there for the past several years....which to their credit...Haywood and staff have capitalized on.

However....I suspect that in the next 5 years....due to dwindling numbers...Belfry will begin to slide. Economically....the area is as depressed as it's been since the 1920's and 30's. With the continued shuttering of coal mines....deep and strip......there just isn't gonna be enough jobs to sustain a population. Guessing the Pirates will be 2A in the next few years.

Have to give you credit....you're definitely an eternal optimist when it comes to Paducah Tilghman. They should always been in the mix...especially at the 3A level.....but IMO, they've been plagued by mismanagement from upper administration, poor coaching and character issues.

Whether that changes remains to be seen......

Here's hoping that it does. Alot of natural athletic ability in that area.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Despite Belfry winning the last two 3A rings......Overall...I doubt many Belfry fans would suggest the Pirates are the Kings of this Class. While Belfry did get the proverbial "Central Monkey" off it's back by finally knocking them off.......I think most peoople still view Lousiville Central as the standard bearer...with Belfry a close second.

Both programs are well coached. Scroggins is tremendous in game plan execution...and they simply overwhelm teams with speed and athleticism.

Belfry has been on an unprecedented run of talent there for the past several years....which to their credit...Haywood and staff have capitalized on.

However....I suspect that in the next 5 years....due to dwindling numbers...Belfry will begin to slide. Economically....the area is as depressed as it's been since the 1920's and 30's. With the continued shuttering of coal mines....deep and strip......there just isn't gonna be enough jobs to sustain a population. Guessing the Pirates will be 2A in the next few years.

Have to give you credit....you're definitely an eternal optimist when it comes to Paducah Tilghman. They should always been in the mix...especially at the 3A level.....but IMO, they've been plagued by mismanagement from upper administration, poor coaching and character issues.

Whether that changes remains to be seen......

Here's hoping that it does. Alot of natural athletic ability in that area.

Very good post... the only thing I take slight exception with is the bolded.

I completely agree that I think Belfry will begin to come back to the pack due to the factors you outlined, but with that said the next 3-4 years of Belfry football will be played at a very high level. Next year's Junior class is the bumper crop that the past two championships have been built around so you still have two more years with them and by the time they leave I think you still have two solid years of kids who will then be Seniors and Juniors.

The Belfry Middle School has became a powerhouse and the emergence of that run has been a watershed moment and could not have came at a better time for the program. With that said, despite the fact they continue to win Middle School titles there is absolutely no denying that there hasn't been a class come through comparable to the current group with Horton, Bentley, Hall, etc

Belfry will be at an elite level the next two seasons... then I think you see a gradual step down before a fairly significant drop somewhere around 5-6 years away if things don't turn around. The good news is the Belfry feeder system is so strong that even when the talent pool isn't the same the Pirates should still be a quality team year in and year out... but I definitely see things coming back to earth where Title Games are no longer expected.

Also as an aside to your point Belfry is not the "Kings of 3A" they are just the 2-Time defending Champions. The new 3A is going to be crazy and now you bring in more top notch programs, but you also see teams who are about to see their talent pool rise (Tilghman, Russell, Corbin most notably).

I have no doubt the new bloods in 3A and the programs rising will now have a say in the matter...but with what Belfry and Central both return.. it is also abundantly clear that if you want to win a title you are going to have to pack a lunch.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Very good post... the only thing I take slight exception with is the bolded.

I completely agree that I think Belfry will begin to come back to the pack due to the factors you outlined, but with that said the next 3-4 years of Belfry football will be played at a very high level. Next year's Junior class is the bumper crop that the past two championships have been built around so you still have two more years with them and by the time they leave I think you still have two solid years of kids who will then be Seniors and Juniors.

The Belfry Middle School has became a powerhouse and the emergence of that run has been a watershed moment and could not have came at a better time for the program. With that said, despite the fact they continue to win Middle School titles there is absolutely no denying that there hasn't been a class come through comparable to the current group with Horton, Bentley, Hall, etc

Belfry will be at an elite level the next two seasons... then I think you see a gradual step down before a fairly significant drop somewhere around 5-6 years away if things don't turn around. The good news is the Belfry feeder system is so strong that even when the talent pool isn't the same the Pirates should still be a quality team year in and year out... but I definitely see things coming back to earth where Title Games are no longer expected.

Also as an aside to your point Belfry is not the "Kings of 3A" they are just the 2-Time defending Champions. The new 3A is going to be crazy and now you bring in more top notch programs, but you also see teams who are about to see their talent pool rise (Tilghman, Russell, Corbin most notably).

I have no doubt the new bloods in 3A and the programs rising will now have a say in the matter...but with what Belfry and Central both return.. it is also abundantly clear that if you want to win a title you are going to have to pack a lunch.

Lex Cath and Boyle are definitely going to shake things up! Without a doubt. Big fan bases.....high expectations......great traditions. Can't wait.

Regarding Belfry Middle......They are definitely on a roll....and have a very realistic chance of a 4 peat this upcoming season. I know the coaches and players are working very hard towards that end.

The incoming freshman class will have good mix of line and skill kids...especially @ QB. The Browning kid has a lot of potential.

The upcoming 8th grade class will not be as balanced. A couple of kids who saw playing time on the line will return......but the real deal will be in the backfield. Simply a tremendous amount of talent at the RB/FB slots. Defensively they should be solid...especially by playoff time. I'm very confident they'll get back to Lexington with this group and challenge for their 4th straight KYMCF championship.

Like many have said on here in the past...between the feeder program, participation numbers and the level of talent Belfry has experienced.....it's been a great time to be a Pirate fan.

Again...whether that pipeline of talent continues remains to be seen. Here's hoping that it does:Thumbs:
Jack Lambert Wrote:I'm not thinking just repeating what I was told. I'm also being told LC will have a run heavy offense this season because of the inexperience at QB if that's the case I can't wait to see it.

Your source is incorrect. Sorry to be the burden of bad news. Lets just say Lex Cath will run and run and run some more. And when they don't feel like running anymore, they will throw the ball to all those speedy playmakers you saw last season. As far as who is going to throw the ball to those playmakers. Let me just say this, it will not be the receiver that you all are thinking of. Perhaps swing by spring football and see for yourself.... I'll leave it as be.
I think Lex Cath is expecting Clay Bolin to be their QB this coming season.
PaytoPlay Wrote:I think Lex Cath is expecting Clay Bolin to be their QB this coming season.

LOL. Not quit sir. Inexperience, but I say a lot better than Clay, plus the mobility of this kid. Just going to have have to wait and see.
FBfan4life Wrote:Your source is incorrect. Sorry to be the burden of bad news. Lets just say Lex Cath will run and run and run some more. And when they don't feel like running anymore, they will throw the ball to all those speedy playmakers you saw last season. As far as who is going to throw the ball to those playmakers. Let me just say this, it will not be the receiver that you all are thinking of. Perhaps swing by spring football and see for yourself.... I'll leave it as be.

I'll Have to take your word for it I don't like Lexington enough to come by spring practice I try to avoid the town as much as possible. I know Lex Cath will be good they always are, I'm just trying to figure out if you're pulling my leg about the QB position or not you know as well as I do that you're not gonna just plug an inexperienced player in at QB and expect him to play at Ryan's level, and IMO if LC dose'nt have Ryan's level of play this year it could be along season for them with the schedule they have. I expect Boyle to be markedly better than they were last season, and I know Belfry will be loaded. In closing Lex Cath has never had a strong defense and if their offense isn't up to par I think you see where I'm going with this.
Jack Lambert Wrote:I'll Have to take your word for it I don't like Lexington enough to come by spring practice I try to avoid the town as much as possible. I know Lex Cath will be good they always are, I'm just trying to figure out if you're pulling my leg about the QB position or not you know as well as I do that you're not gonna just plug an inexperienced player in at QB and expect him to play at Ryan's level, and IMO if LC dose'nt have Ryan's level of play this year it could be along season for them with the schedule they have. I expect Boyle to be markedly better than they were last season, and I know Belfry will be loaded. In closing Lex Cath has never had a strong defense and if their offense isn't up to par I think you see where I'm going with this.

That's a fair assessment. Lex Cath has never had a strong defense. In the past 10 or so season now, they have been a " bend but don't break " style of defense ( as you tell from taking 7 out of 8 from Boyle ) and all games were close. As far as the QB goes, believe Jack, I am not pulling your leg. I just don't want to say to much on this thread. Lex Cath does have a QB that will be develop as the season goes. So by the time district play comes, he would have his feet wet. And if it doesn't work, then they will leave it to all those playmakers and see if Boyle Co or other teams and catch them.
FBfan4life Wrote:That's a fair assessment. Lex Cath has never had a strong defense. In the past 10 or so season now, they have been a " bend but don't break " style of defense ( as you tell from taking 7 out of 8 from Boyle ) and all games were close. As far as the QB goes, believe Jack, I am not pulling your leg. I just don't want to say to much on this thread. Lex Cath does have a QB that will be develop as the season goes. So by the time district play comes, he would have his feet wet. And if it doesn't work, then they will leave it to all those playmakers and see if Boyle Co or other teams and catch them.

Boyle and Lex Cath will definitely spice things up a bit.

At this point.....I still think Central will find themselves back in Bowling Green....
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Boyle and Lex Cath will definitely spice things up a bit.

At this point.....I still think Central will find themselves back in Bowling Green....

Fair enough, but in my defense. I never mentioned Lex Cath being in the thick of things or contending/ winning the 3A class. Someone mentioned or questioned about Lex Cath QB situation and I merely shine the light on any speculation without saying too much. Again it is NOT going to be a former WR at the QB spot for Lex Cath.
Boyle co is down and will go 4-7. Pulaski county will win the 3a title against Newport catholic mark it down folks.
wiznut Wrote:Boyle co is down and will go 4-7. Pulaski county will win the 3a title against Newport catholic mark it down folks.

If you are really serious about those statement, man do we have bad news for you. That statement just shows us that you are not very intelligent. Pulaski County will never win 3A... That's because they are in 5A, and they will never play or beat Newport Catholic in the championship game because New Cath is in 2A.. What a clown.
wiznut Wrote:Boyle co is down and will go 4-7. Pulaski county will win the 3a title against Newport catholic mark it down folks.

I think wiznut maybe a few nuts short of a load with a post like that.
Jack Lambert Wrote:I think wiznut maybe a few nuts short of a load with a post like that.

You know how his clock ticks lol

:yawn:
Someone besides belfry will win it. Boyle, and lex cath will actually make this class have a descent team. Belfry was horrible last year, and won title. You know a class is bad when a 1 dimensional team wins title. Saw championship game on video belfry wasn't good.