Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wayne County 78 Clay Co 68
I am not going on word of mouth. I have played there 3 times in my very old career. Two times we were beat. Both times we were robbed. The time we won I actually thought the refs helped us. After that I have been there at games many many times and seen what pig describes. I know its not exactly like that now but I have read before this game how retribution was coming to Wayne. Brought back old memories. Actually was the good ole days. Would like to play those two losses again today for sure.
fan first Wrote:Funny as he is just going by word of mouth back in them days. Guess he never traveled to Perry Co where they would tell you in the beverage stores what the line was and how Clay wasn't going to cover.
Know all about the betting lines, the Blue Moon Sweet 16 contest and a whole lot of other stuff. In those days on the road in the mountains was just about an automatic loss, unless the right "circumstances" occurred.
I always find it amusing when people get on here and complain about Clay getting home cooking during the early 80s-early 90s. While that may have been the case on certain occasions, what do pe
Sorry, darn phone...what do people have to say about the numerous regional tourneys won at Knox Central, Corbin, Bell Co, Middlesboro,Cawood, etc? Won countless games on the Sweet 16 and went 2-1 at the Beach Ball Classic in '88. The list goes on and on and no mountain team will probably ever have a 6-7 year run like the Tigers had from '85-'92
Beach Ball Classic directors said that one of the biggest mistakes they ever made was pairing Clay County with Eau Claire in the first round. They would love to have seen that one as a final game. That was an unforgettable period of basketball, not just for Clay County fans, but for mountain basketball as a whole. Put the mountains back on the basketball map.
walterwhite Wrote:Know all about the betting lines, the Blue Moon Sweet 16 contest and a whole lot of other stuff. In those days on the road in the mountains was just about an automatic loss, unless the right "circumstances" occurred.

I can't count the Sweet Sixteen slips I hauled to the Blue Moon. There's a few pools around here, nothing like the Moon though. I remember the walls being covered from floor to ceiling with those slips.
nedreader Wrote:Sorry, darn phone...what do people have to say about the numerous regional tourneys won at Knox Central, Corbin, Bell Co, Middlesboro,Cawood, etc? Won countless games on the Sweet 16 and went 2-1 at the Beach Ball Classic in '88. The list goes on and on and no mountain team will probably ever have a 6-7 year run like the Tigers had from '85-'92

It just hurts worse when you get from Clay County nedreader, dad gum hillbillies. :biggrin: