Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kyle Wiltjer to remain at Kentucky?
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I find it funny that Wiltjer made key contributions to last season's NCAA championship run, but his critics think that after another full season and two off seasons of Calipari's coaching wizardry, he has nothing to offer to next season's team. Whose fault would that be? :biglmao:

Not sure what you are getting at with your response, but it would be his own fault. There isn't a player in Divison I that he can guard with his current conditioning. This kid is going to have to live in the weight from now on and he needs "Rock" Oliver to personally get him into shape. I want nothing but the best for this kid. I hope it works out for him to get minutes.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:He came in and made a 3 a game in the toruney. Considering we won every game by more than 3. I dont count that a key contribution.

BUT! I think kyle can be a good 4 year player. Gym gym gym. Look what CAL did for Josh harrelson. Without CAL josh never makes an NBA roster.

What the **** are you talking about? Cal doesn't develop players. :Clap:
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Not sure what you are getting at with your response, but it would be his own fault. There isn't a player in Divison I that he can guard with his current conditioning. This kid is going to have to live in the weight from now on and he needs "Rock" Oliver to personally get him into shape. I want nothing but the best for this kid. I hope it works out for him to get minutes.
Wiltjer made positive contributions as a freshman last season on an NCAA championship team. He was a highly rated prospect who Calipari recruited and signed. Suggesting that he is not good enough to play with a group of highly touted, but inexperienced freshmen next season is a statement on the job that Calipari has done with him - or the people expressing this opinion just don't know what they are talking about. Wiltjer is no slower now than he was last season and he is no slower than he was when he was recruited.

If Calipari starts cutting players after a year or two on the team, watch how fast his recruiting success declines. The UK program that I have followed for decades had more class than that.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Wiltjer made positive contributions as a freshman last season on an NCAA championship team. He was a highly rated prospect who Calipari recruited and signed. Suggesting that he is not good enough to play with a group of highly touted, but inexperienced freshmen next season is a statement on the job that Calipari has done with him - or the people expressing this opinion just don't know what they are talking about. Wiltjer is no slower now than he was last season and he is no slower than he was when he was recruited.

If Calipari starts cutting players after a year or two on the team, watch how fast his recruiting success declines. The UK program that I have followed for decades had more class than that.

Who has he cut? lol?

It takes more than great coaching to develop as a player. It takes will.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Who has he cut? lol?

It takes more than great coaching to develop as a player. It takes will.
Players are a reflection of their coach, not the other way around. When coaches start blaming their players for a bad season, it reflects badly on the coach. Sometimes coaches fail to develop a player's skills to the extent that they expected, despite their best efforts and the best efforts of the player involved. That happened when Rick Pitino signed Carlos Toomer, who was a great athlete that Pitino was sure he could develop into the nation's top point guard. It never happened and nobody was to blame, IMO.

When a coach blames an entire team on a failed season, the way Calipari seems to have done this year, the fault clearly lies with the coach.

Calipari has not cut anybody yet, but he will be pressuring players to transfer or walk-on to make room for players who have never played a minute in a Kentucky uniform when they have done nothing wrong. That will not play well with future recruits if it happens. Calipari says that he does not believe that one-and-done basketball is a good thing, but many of us just do not believe the man.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Players are a reflection of their coach, not the other way around. When coaches start blaming their players for a bad season, it reflects badly on the coach. Sometimes coaches fail to develop a player's skills to the extent that they expected, despite their best efforts and the best efforts of the player involved. That happened when Rick Pitino signed Carlos Toomer, who was a great athlete that Pitino was sure he could develop into the nation's top point guard. It never happened and nobody was to blame, IMO.

When a coach blames an entire team on a failed season, the way Calipari seems to have done this year, the fault clearly lies with the coach.

Calipari has not cut anybody yet, but he will be pressuring players to transfer or walk-on to make room for players who have never played a minute in a Kentucky uniform when they have done nothing wrong. That will not play well with future recruits if it happens. Calipari says that he does not believe that one-and-done basketball is a good thing, but many of us just do not believe the man.

You play by the hand your dealt. Cal made polson a scholarship player. Saved the kid thousands of dollars. You think polson would be mad if he had to go off of it? Recieved playing time at Kentucky? Highlight of his life. Im sure he wont care a bit.

I dont think he will cut anyone. Harrow might transfer because of playing time. But he showed to be a bust.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Players are a reflection of their coach, not the other way around. When coaches start blaming their players for a bad season, it reflects badly on the coach. Sometimes coaches fail to develop a player's skills to the extent that they expected, despite their best efforts and the best efforts of the player involved. That happened when Rick Pitino signed Carlos Toomer, who was a great athlete that Pitino was sure he could develop into the nation's top point guard. It never happened and nobody was to blame, IMO.

He may or may not believe in it, but he sure the hell knows how to work it while it's still in progress. No other college coach has made it work with them or figured out how to. Cal will not kick players off, would kill his recruiting pitch. May tell a former starter "harrow" he'll only get about 5 mins next year, probably. That's the players fault for sucking it up bad.

Mix1...
Wildcatk23 Wrote:You play by the hand your dealt. Cal made polson a scholarship player. Saved the kid thousands of dollars. You think polson would be mad if he had to go off of it? Recieved playing time at Kentucky? Highlight of his life. Im sure he wont care a bit.

I dont think he will cut anyone. Harrow might transfer because of playing time. But he showed to be a bust.
I think Polson earned a scholarship this season. He was the best point guard UK had at tournament time and the only player who looked like he knew what he was doing against Robert Morris. He walked on for a chance to earn a scholarship and that is what he did, IMO.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I think Polson earned a scholarship this season. He was the best point guard UK had at tournament time and the only player who looked like he knew what he was doing against Robert Morris. He walked on for a chance to earn a scholarship and that is what he did, IMO.

I agree with that. He did great. Great guy. You earn your scholarship yearly. HE would gladly give his up for another championship.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:I agree with that. He did great. Great guy. You earn your scholarship yearly. HE would gladly give his up for another championship.
How do you know? How would you feel getting your scholarship yanked after working your tail off for two years? It's no different than getting your salary slashed by your employer after he has spent two years training you, so that he can pay a new employee with no experience to take your job.

If anybody deserves to have his scholarship taken, it is Harrow. He was not there when the team needed him early in the season and his absence ensured that the team would not reach its potential. But even in Harrow's case, Calipari apparently excused his absence, so maybe he had valid reasons to show up late.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:How do you know? How would you feel getting your scholarship yanked after working your tail off for two years? It's no different than getting your salary slashed by your employer after he has spent two years training you, so that he can pay a new employee with no experience to take your job.

If anybody deserves to have his scholarship taken, it is Harrow. He was not there when the team needed him early in the season and his absence ensured that the team would not reach its potential. But even in Harrow's case, Calipari apparently excused his absence, so maybe he had valid reasons to show up late.

I agree, Harrow does deserve the removal.

Also, Polson is still considered a Preferred walk on. So although i dont think CAL wils even consider taking Polsons scholarship. ITs probably something they discuss.

Your comparing apples and oranges. By your analysis. They brought in someone that was better than me at my job. Then it makes sense.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:I agree, Harrow does deserve the removal.

Also, Polson is still considered a Preferred walk on. So although i dont think CAL wils even consider taking Polsons scholarship. ITs probably something they discuss.

Your comparing apples and oranges. By your analysis. They brought in someone that was better than me at my job. Then it makes sense.
No, they brought somebody who made better grades than you in high school but has no experience at doing your job. They just assume that the high school kid will quickly surpass your skills as a green employee.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Wiltjer made positive contributions as a freshman last season on an NCAA championship team. He was a highly rated prospect who Calipari recruited and signed. Suggesting that he is not good enough to play with a group of highly touted, but inexperienced freshmen next season is a statement on the job that Calipari has done with him - or the people expressing this opinion just don't know what they are talking about. Wiltjer is no slower now than he was last season and he is no slower than he was when he was recruited.

The problem with your argument is that Wiltjer wasn't expected to do anything but shoot in the 2012 season. And he did well I might add. This past season (since he was supposed to be "talented") he was expected to shoot, defend, and rebound due to the lack of players and experience on the team. It's not like he absolutely can't do these things. He just can't do them with the minimal body preparation and effort he has given.

No one is arguing with you or anyone else about his talent level. The argument is his questionable (at best) effort. Talent is nothing if the effort is lacking (see Alex Poythress).

Some of you can't understand why people say "he ain't playing next season". To put it bluntly, if he continues to give the half-ass effort then he sure as hell ain't playing next season.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:The problem with your argument is that Wiltjer wasn't expected to do anything but shoot in the 2012 season. And he did well I might add. This past season (since he was supposed to be "talented") he was expected to shoot, defend, and rebound due to the lack of players and experience on the team. It's not like he absolutely can't do these things. He just can't do them with the minimal body preparation and effort he has given.

No one is arguing with you or anyone else about his talent level. The argument is his questionable (at best) effort. Talent is nothing if the effort is lacking (see Alex Poythress).

Some of you can't understand why people say "he ain't playing next season". To put it bluntly, if he continues to give the half-ass effort then he sure as hell ain't playing next season.
Polson may have been the only UK player to play at anywhere near his potential this season. As some point, you have to recognize that the coaching staff has some responsibility for highly touted players underperforming.

I think that I need to stop posting in these threads for the season before I convince myself not to be a UK fan. :biglmao:

The more that I think about Calipari's pre-UK problems and his sorry performance this season, the worse I feel about being a fan. I am close to taking a long break until Calipari departs.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:The problem with your argument is that Wiltjer wasn't expected to do anything but shoot in the 2012 season. And he did well I might add. This past season (since he was supposed to be "talented") he was expected to shoot, defend, and rebound due to the lack of players and experience on the team. It's not like he absolutely can't do these things. He just can't do them with the minimal body preparation and effort he has given.

I agree with you about Kyle, he done great as a role player. This year he was relied to heavily upon. It's no secret KW is slow, & weak. Due to this he can't create his own offense & we didn't have the guards who could penetrate & give him a decent pass for an open three.

It became evident he can't be relied on like he was this year. Had Poythress, played better Cal wouldn't have had to play Kyle so much. But no matter the amount of time, Kyle didn't put forth the physical effort to play the minutes he did.

So Kyle suffered out guards couldn't penetrate or throw a good pass to set up Kyle's shot & Kyle couldn't play defense or offense. Kyle is better served playing under 15 minutes a game at this point. With Randle coming in & if Poythress stays/we get Wiggins, Kyle will get to go back to a role player & benefit greatly. As well if the Harrison twins can actually penetrate to draw defense rather than throw a crazy shot & hope for a foul, that'd be a plus for Kyle.

With the talent coming in, Kyle will be much more of a player & asset to the team than most think. He'll be the scoring spark off the bench, that we may need at times. I still stand firm in saying Kyle will make the NBA as a shooter & a role player because he can hit open 3's. Steve Novak has faired well in NY doing so, Kyle can too. It helps a big shooter like Novak or Wiltjer if the guards can get you open. However, Kyle still needs to work harder, get quicker, & put some muscle on his frame.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Polson may have been the only UK player to play at anywhere near his potential this season. As some point, you have to recognize that the coaching staff has some responsibility for highly touted players underperforming.

I think that I need to stop posting in these threads for the season before I convince myself not to be a UK fan. :biglmao:

The more that I think about Calipari's pre-UK problems and his sorry performance this season, the worse I feel about being a fan. I am close to taking a long break until Calipari departs.

Bye. :igiveup:

Seriously, he just brought a championship to Kentucky for the first time in 14 years!

Like I told Stardust a while back, if you don't like someone you're not going to give them credit when they're successful but will destroy them when the slightest miscue happens. I do remember you giving Cal credit last season and I can respect that.

I do put some of the blame on Cal myself. He puts blame on himself as well. Just as he said, he didn't recruit enough players for this team and he couldn't get to a couple of them. I agree with him and respect him for taking that blame. But to go any further than that is just silly. Cal is one of the best coaches in the country (YES! Even at X's and O's and developing kids, crazy huh?). Every great coach has more than one unsuccessful season. Duke got beat by 15-seeded Lehigh in 2012. Roy Williams 2009-2010 team made the NIT after winning the 2009 championship.

You Cal haters still have no argument as to why Cal "can't coach" other than you simply don't like him.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:No, they brought somebody who made better grades than you in high school but has no experience at doing your job. They just assume that the high school kid will quickly surpass your skills as a green employee.

Are you lost?
The Blue Blur Wrote:I agree with you about Kyle, he done great as a role player. This year he was relied to heavily upon. It's no secret KW is slow, & weak. Due to this he can't create his own offense & we didn't have the guards who could penetrate & give him a decent pass for an open three.

It became evident he can't be relied on like he was this year. Had Poythress, played better Cal wouldn't have had to play Kyle so much. But no matter the amount of time, Kyle didn't put forth the physical effort to play the minutes he did.

So Kyle suffered out guards couldn't penetrate or throw a good pass to set up Kyle's shot & Kyle couldn't play defense or offense. Kyle is better served playing under 15 minutes a game at this point. With Randle coming in & if Poythress stays/we get Wiggins, Kyle will get to go back to a role player & benefit greatly. As well if the Harrison twins can actually penetrate to draw defense rather than throw a crazy shot & hope for a foul, that'd be a plus for Kyle.

With the talent coming in, Kyle will be much more of a player & asset to the team than most think. He'll be the scoring spark off the bench, that we may need at times. I still stand firm in saying Kyle will make the NBA as a shooter & a role player because he can hit open 3's. Steve Novak has faired well in NY doing so, Kyle can too. It helps a big shooter like Novak or Wiltjer if the guards can get you open. However, Kyle still needs to work harder, get quicker, & put some muscle on his frame.

I agree wholeheartedly and have said this. He will be relied upon to do one thing, shoot. That worked out great for him in 2011-2012 and I predict it will again in 2013-2014. The team needs a pure shooter and I believe he will be the only one (Aaron Harrison & James Young are good, but not great shooters from what I've seen).

My argument was if he wants to see more than 7-10 minutes per game, it will be up to him on his own personal time.
The Blue Blur Wrote:I agree with you about Kyle, he done great as a role player. This year he was relied to heavily upon. It's no secret KW is slow, & weak. Due to this he can't create his own offense & we didn't have the guards who could penetrate & give him a decent pass for an open three.

Kyle had Many many many open 3s this year.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Kyle had Many many many open 3s this year.

He did, but missed a lot of those due to low confidence. His confidence was rock-bottom due to his inability to defend or rebound on any kind of consistent basis. Cal was hard on him and rightfully so.

This is exactly why I think his 7-10 minutes per game will be much more valuable next season. He will be relied upon to only shoot. He can do that.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Bye. :igiveup:

Seriously, he just brought a championship to Kentucky for the first time in 14 years!

Like I told Stardust a while back, if you don't like someone you're not going to give them credit when they're successful but will destroy them when the slightest miscue happens. I do remember you giving Cal credit last season and I can respect that.

I do put some of the blame on Cal myself. He puts blame on himself as well. Just as he said, he didn't recruit enough players for this team and he couldn't get to a couple of them. I agree with him and respect him for taking that blame. But to go any further than that is just silly. Cal is one of the best coaches in the country (YES! Even at X's and O's and developing kids, crazy huh?). Every great coach has more than one unsuccessful season. Duke got beat by 15-seeded Lehigh in 2012. Roy Williams 2009-2010 team made the NIT after winning the 2009 championship.

You Cal haters still have no argument as to why Cal "can't coach" other than you simply don't like him.
I hope that you are right in saying that he "brought" a championship to UK last season. It honestly makes no sense to me that 6 of the top 18 high school players in the country would choose to go to one school. Don't get me wrong, any decent UK coach should be able to land more than his fair share of outstanding recruits, but the same can be said of Duke, North Carolina, and Indiana. They all have the facilities, administrative support, and fan bases to impress potential recruits.

If Cal brings another scandal and shame to my alma mater, I don't care how many titles he wins, it will not be enough. College basketball rosters were never intended to be filled by one year players. Something does not feel right about the program to me.

Seriously, this will be my last post in the thread. My bracket is busted, so I am going to end my basketball season early this year and think happier thoughts for a few months. :biggrin:
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I hope that you are right in saying that he "brought" a championship to UK last season. It honestly makes no sense to me that 6 of the top 18 high school players in the country would choose to go to one school. Don't get me wrong, any decent UK coach should be able to land more than his fair share of outstanding recruits, but the same can be said of Duke, North Carolina, and Indiana. They all have the facilities, administrative support, and fan bases to impress potential recruits.

If Cal brings another scandal and shame to my alma mater, I don't care how many titles he wins, it will not be enough. College basketball rosters were never intended to be filled by one year players. Something does not feel right about the program to me.

Seriously, this will be my last post in the thread. My bracket is busted, so I am going to end my basketball season early this year and think happier thoughts for a few months. :biggrin:

You need to. I can't handle all of your negativity! :biggrin:
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I hope that you are right in saying that he "brought" a championship to UK last season. It honestly makes no sense to me that 6 of the top 18 high school players in the country would choose to go to one school. Don't get me wrong, any decent UK coach should be able to land more than his fair share of outstanding recruits, but the same can be said of Duke, North Carolina, and Indiana. They all have the facilities, administrative support, and fan bases to impress potential recruits.

I'd be totally shocked if Cal was caught in violation as this program & his system sells it's self. It's the quickest way for 18 year old kids to become millionaires before their 20.
I say keep everybody! And lets get Wiggins & Hawkins in here!! Fill em up Cal Fill em up!!!
lol............
My question is.....
Will Cal ask Willis to walk-on???
Curveball 24 Wrote:My question is.....

No way, Willis had the opportunity to go to other schools like his dad's favorite Louisville. Cal pulls his scholly he may be gone before the season starts, which wouldn't bold well with the in state guys as well as the fans. It wouldn't bother me, I wasn't ever really keen on Willis.
Willis might as well go to Lville.
Curveball 24 Wrote:My question is.....

Impossible even if could. Not gonna get technical, read the bylaws if want that. A player that is recruited with intent of receiving a scholarship, can not go to walk on after that at any point n time. Once a player gets that first letter acknowledging they will get a scholarship, kills that idea. Look for him to redshirt though. Will be a good 4 year player.

Mix1...
All hacking aside.

Lets hear some opinions on the roster.
Name the roster, including depth chart and walk on status.

You can use Wiggins or not.

What was last years players, and the year before then? Almost perfection? I'm sorry but these kids he recruited this year just wouldn't listen and had no desire to be the best, they have what it takes to be champions but they gotta first learn how to be champions.