Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breathitt Co. 24 Somerset 13
The Bobcats showed resilience tonight. Their first difficult opponent punched them in the mouth in the 1st half, and they responded. Sure Somerset made mistakes, but the Bobcats took advantage of them and the Bobcats made mistakes in the red-zone also.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

^Not trying to take anything away from Breathitt by any means, they definitely earned the win. I wasn't there to see them personally but they seem to be a much more versatile team this season and I'll be rooting for them to make it to BG. We are just trying to discuss our own team's deliquencies because we still have a ways to go if we are hoping to get their ourselves.
Games like this will give the coaches things to focus on in practice. Both teams will learn and improve from playing this game.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

disappointing to hear. As far as the quarterback situation goes, i am a firm believer in picking a quarterback and sticking with him unless you are 100% sure you need to change, then you need to stick with that QB. Flip flopping only hurt Somerset last year, didnt help anything.
Somerset was still flip flopping until the 4th or 5th game last year
So the question here? Breathitt beats Somerset and tonight LCA beats Hazard by almost the same score as Somerset. Does this mean there is a 3 team race now for district. Wow none of these three teams may win state because they will be beat up from playing each other.
Kinda surprised by this one.
Jumper Dad Wrote:Jumpers lack of consistent ability to move the ball cost them this game. Breathitt took the ball around midfield on just about every possession of the second half. Almost total collapse on offense in the second half.

Congrats Bobcats...good luck the rest of the way.

I agree, but when you let a Def. stay on the field as long as Somerset's Def, did they are going to wear down, Off and special teams (kicking) is where the blame has to be placed for this Game. Somerset has a Great Def. and the Off. and Special team will get better. Somerset will be fine. I don't think Coach Lucas expected to be undefeated when he made this Schedule. Let's go to work and get the next one.
Title town 3 Wrote:I think both teams shot their self in the foot tonight.on the jumpers behalf they missed some key field goals( but in high school your lucky if u can find a kicker to kick extra points), the bobbled punt that lead to a safety . For bobcats they missed four chances to score in the red zone.(it could of easily been 42-13) But you also have to give credit to Somerset defense for bending not breaking. So I think both teams will improve from this game. I just wish the bobcats had a few more games of this caliber, Hazard and maybe clay Co is the only games they have left that may give the bobcats a game. Also I like to add that I'm glad no one got seriously injured for either team.(I'm sure both teams will feel like they were in a car wreck tomorrow morning.)

But it wasn't, it was 24 to 13. No Safety, and a score following, + 2 missed FG, and the Score is 19 to 18 Somerset. So we can talk about could have beens all night long and the Score stands. Good Luck to Breathitt Co. Hope Mike makes it to Bowling Green.
9/14/2012
Breathitt Co. 0 0 14 10 24
Somerset 0 7 0 6 13
Scoring summary:
S--Cam Cheuvront 21 pass from Tanner Gadberry (Chandler Dobbs kick); BC--Richard Trent 57 run (Michael Hilderbrand kick); BC--Trent 48 run (Hilderbrand kick); BC--Team safety; BC--Trent 6 run (Trent run); S--Will Lange 10 run (pass failed).
Records: Breathitt Co. 5-0, Somerset 3-1.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/08/16/23013...rylink=cpy
9/14/2012
Breathitt Co. 0 0 14 10 24
Somerset 0 7 0 6 13
Scoring summary:
S--Cam Cheuvront 21 pass from Tanner Gadberry (Chandler Dobbs kick); BC--Richard Trent 57 run (Michael Hilderbrand kick); BC--Trent 48 run (Hilderbrand kick); BC--Team safety; BC--Trent 6 run (Trent run); S--Will Lange 10 run (pass failed).
Records: Breathitt Co. 5-0, Somerset 3-1.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/08/16/23013...rylink=cpy
my complaint about the special teams and QB issue: not one kicker or punter (jones, Dobbs, Hill) went to a kicking camp this summer? how can special teams expect to be good when they have no idea how to correctly kick the ball? The same issue with Gadberry, he didnt go to one single Qb camp this offseason. There is no way to improve without working on it in the offseason. You'll just stay at mediocre to below average when you dont put in the time. I know Lange last year went to 8 camps all together including Qb and kicking. From not being at the game and just getting updates, sounds like Chevraunt, slaughter and Lange all had decent games, while i also heard our Defensive backs just bounced off Trent when he ran the ball. Number 8 was suspended for the last 3 games for BReathitt and now another kid kids ejected in last nights game? Sounds like Breathitts coach needs to crack down a bit on them.
Congrats Bobcats. Richard Trent is legit.
These type of games will make both teams better in the future!Good win bobcats.
I'm glad I attended this game last night. It's always fun watching a team come from behind and win on the road. Both teams are great teams this year. 2A vs 3A.
I was also amazed by the lack of desire on certain players parts to hone in on their skill in thr off season and learn how to improve. It seems like they were to accepting of average play and little desire to actually work at passing and kicking camps. Did thr coaches even push them to do so in the offseason? It's one thing to have your kids lifting weights, etc but why as I qb would you not do a little extra when this is the only sport you play? I think a good loss will only help us but just thinking that maybe camps would have helped the qb be a little more confident in himself especially when a play is ruined and has to scramble.
Contrary to the H-L and much popular opinion. SOMERSET was the team that needed
to "prove it" in this game. And they DID. They held Breathitt scoreless for a half, and limited them to only 3 td's. Jumpers now can say they ARE the top 2A team for sure.

Bobcats played very tough D, but overall are still rying to gel. Trent was a
one man wrekcing gang in the 2nd half, but his pieces are still trying to all get healthy
and on the same page all at once. Once again it will be the Belfry/Breathitt winner
going to BG for the 3A title game.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Kinda surprised by this one.

The only suprise should be that Breathitt only scored 3td's. Jumpers
are GOOD. Bobcats are better.
anyone know how badly Will Hinton was hurt? Hes a really tough kid so we he goes down its gotta hurt.
Dumpster Diving Wrote:anyone know how badly Will Hinton was hurt? Hes a really tough kid so we he goes down its gotta hurt.

Low ankle sprain. Should be good to go by next week I would think just needs to stay off it over the weekend and get a little PT next week. Probably wouldn't hurt to sit him against Glasgow but I doubt Will would be willing to let that happen.

I heard Bryson Jones got banged up last night too. Something with his neck maybe? Anybody hear anything about this?
Congrats Bobcats! Way to regroup and play a huge second half.
We all know Trent is the man that powers the Breathitt offense, but who are the other skill guys and what are their strengths?
Buffalo Bildos Wrote:my complaint about the special teams and QB issue: not one kicker or punter (jones, Dobbs, Hill) went to a kicking camp this summer? how can special teams expect to be good when they have no idea how to correctly kick the ball? The same issue with Gadberry, he didnt go to one single Qb camp this offseason. There is no way to improve without working on it in the offseason. You'll just stay at mediocre to below average when you dont put in the time. I know Lange last year went to 8 camps all together including Qb and kicking. From not being at the game and just getting updates, sounds like Chevraunt, slaughter and Lange all had decent games, while i also heard our Defensive backs just bounced off Trent when he ran the ball. Number 8 was suspended for the last 3 games for BReathitt and now another kid kids ejected in last nights game? Sounds like Breathitts coach needs to crack down a bit on them.

Special teams are often neglected but they are super important. When you have two teams that are evenly matched more often than not special teams will decide the game. A lot of people took special teams for granted the last couple of seasons and didn't think that having a whole new group of starters would be a big deal. But when you look at it they lost Lange, who would be punting at IU, UK or another D-I school if he hadn't have injured his knee. Speaks, who is the starting longsnapper for EKU and Herd, who is playing soccer at Union (and could have kicked there as well). That is a lot bigger deal than most people think. This year's team has players that are capable of stepping into those roles and doing the job but they have to put in the time and get better. Luckily they still have a couple of games to do so. Danville has an excellent kicking game. Their kicker puts it into the end zone on almost every kickoff and they do a nice job on their punt team as well. That will negate the best part of Somerset's special teams: their kick returners. If that game is a tight as I think it will be we cannot have the errors on special teams that have plagued the team so far. You can get away with them against Southwestern--it won't fly against Danville.

One other question about the kicking game: What happened to Austin Hill? He came in during the second half of the Southwestern game and made all 3 PATs that he attempted after Dobbs had struggled in the first half. He hasn't kicked since as far as I know. I would have thought he would get a shot.

All that being said it is just one loss to the #2 ranked team in 3A. There is not reason this team can't get better every week and win the rest of their games. This isn't a time to panic or worry about what this team can't do. It is time to see what we have been doing poorly and fix it before the district games get here. Somerset will be fine--they just have to keep working hard.
PaytoPlay Wrote:We all know Trent is the man that powers the Breathitt offense, but who are the other skill guys and what are their strengths?

They have a solid group of receivers but no really good playmaker in the group. Shouse is a very good possession type receiver and Noble and Blomberg can stretch the field a little bit.

Trent has to carry the load in big games and run it a lot whether it be by design or tucking it and running when no one is open.

They have really worked on passing the ball a lot early in the season and have had success against lesser teams but last night when push came to shove in the second half we saw a lot of designed runs for Trent.
Buffalo Bildos Wrote:my complaint about the special teams and QB issue: not one kicker or punter (jones, Dobbs, Hill) went to a kicking camp this summer? how can special teams expect to be good when they have no idea how to correctly kick the ball? The same issue with Gadberry, he didnt go to one single Qb camp this offseason. There is no way to improve without working on it in the offseason. You'll just stay at mediocre to below average when you dont put in the time. I know Lange last year went to 8 camps all together including Qb and kicking. From not being at the game and just getting updates, sounds like Chevraunt, slaughter and Lange all had decent games, while i also heard our Defensive backs just bounced off Trent when he ran the ball. Number 8 was suspended for the last 3 games for BReathitt and now another kid kids ejected in last nights game? Sounds like Breathitts coach needs to crack down a bit on them.

I believe last nights ejection will be overturned.
BobcatStuckInPowell Wrote:I believe last nights ejection will be overturned.

I guess just on video of it or the ref's opinion? Curious how that works. I know it was right in front of the Somerset section when they ran out of bounds and into the Somerset team area. No one could even tell what happened. I did hear Somerset players say that kid was really nice so who knows
If it wasn't for fighting there's a decent chance it could get overturned. From the sound of it he just got a little overzealous and didn't stop on the whistle. I don't think that really deserves a two game suspension--but I wasn't there so I can't really say.
I was on the sideline and saw the whole thing. If I had been an official I would not have thrown the Kid out. Case closed.
Norm Peterson Wrote:If it wasn't for fighting there's a decent chance it could get overturned. From the sound of it he just got a little overzealous and didn't stop on the whistle. I don't think that really deserves a two game suspension--but I wasn't there so I can't really say.

I think 2 games is way to much. I understand you have to stop it but in football player gets toosed 1st Q he basically misses 30% of the season. In basketball or baseball 3 games is 10% of season. I just think there should be 3 levels. Ejections that game. That game and sit 1 and that game sit 2. I think all should be reviewed by KHSAA if school wants.
Dumpster Diving Wrote:I guess just on video of it or the ref's opinion? Curious how that works. I know it was right in front of the Somerset section when they ran out of bounds and into the Somerset team area. No one could even tell what happened. I did hear Somerset players say that kid was really nice so who knows

Knowing Ben this is probably the first time he has ever been in any trouble, ever. Kid has probably never been sent to the principals office. I would be really surprised if there was any malice intent on the play.