Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Breathitt Co. 24 Somerset 13
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Final.

Jumpers had a good first half and took a 7-0 lead into the locker room. Breathitt Co. came out and dominated the second half scoring 24 unanswered as the Jumpers collapsed. Trent with three rushing touchdowns for Breathitt. Congrats Bobcats.
What happened during halftime for Somerset? Did they come out slow or did Breathitt just wake up during halftime? I missed this part of the game.
jdnoble18 Wrote:What happened during halftime for Somerset? Did they come out slow or did Breathitt just wake up during halftime? I missed this part of the game.

I wasn't there but it sounded like they didn't come out at all. Two big TD runs by Trent in the third quarter then Somerset proceeded to shoot themselves in the foot til the game was out of hand.
WJSN is mentioning something about appealing the ejection of Hayes. Didn't know that was possible. How would that happen?
jdnoble18 Wrote:WJSN is mentioning something about appealing the ejection of Hayes. Didn't know that was possible. How would that happen?

Happens a lot. They just have to send the film into the KHSAA and appeal the ruling. I wasn't there so I don't know if an appeal would be successful or not though.
Trent did all that trent is able to do. He ran....
Somerset has to clean up their special teams play. So far they have had two punt snaps out of the end zone for safties. They have also missed at least 3 field goals and 4 extrapoints this season. The return games seem fine but the kicking game has been lacking so far. That will get you beat in a close game.
Pretty sure Somerset is still in the locker room - never came out after the 2nd quarter
Congrats Bobcats!

Impressive win!
This was a good test for bobcats. I was really glad to see the starters go the whole game and respond the way they did after halftime . The bobcats will have their hands full next week also when they travel to Hazard and play the bulldogs. I also hated to hear that hays got ejected , that would be the last kid I ever thought would get thrown out of a football game.
Jumpers lack of consistent ability to move the ball cost them this game. Breathitt took the ball around midfield on just about every possession of the second half. Almost total collapse on offense in the second half.

Congrats Bobcats...good luck the rest of the way.
I said that the score would be 21-14 and that the game would turn on a big play on special teams or a turnover. The final score wasn't too far off from that and the turnover on the snap over the quarterback's head and safety on the punt snap were huge. I just wish those big plays had went Somerset's way. Congrats to the Bobcats and good luck the rest of the way. Time to get back to work on offense and special teams for the Briar Jumpers.
Still not sure if it was more impressive on Breathitt or more poor on Somersets ability to pull together to finish a game
Offensive play calling has to get better too. We should be in the I 60-70% of the time and pounding the ball for 70% of our plays IMO. Too much talent in the backfield to be running the spread that much. Just my take, I may be wrong though.
jdnoble18 Wrote:WJSN is mentioning something about appealing the ejection of Hayes. Didn't know that was possible. How would that happen?
Not sure that will change anything he pushed the player through the Somerset sidelines, across the running track and within a foot of the fence.
playtowin Wrote:Still not sure if it was more impressive on Breathitt or more poor on Somersets ability to pull together to finish a game

Breathitt put together a great second half you can't take that away from them. However, the Jumpers did not respond well to the adversity of the injuries and turnovers that they were faced with. Perdue being hurt made things tough on offense, and Bryson Jones and Will Hinton getting banged up tonight really seemed to hurt us on D and the defensive unit did not respond well. The Jumpers will be fine though, they just had a bit of a meltdown after halftime. Can't do that to a team of Breathitt's caliber and hope to have a chance.

On a side note, this series has to keep going IMO. Sounded on the radio like both teams had a great crowd at the game, proving that this has developed into a pretty highly anticipated game between the two even with the Jumpers dropping down to 2A. It is definitely one of my favorite games of the year.
RoShamBo Wrote:Offensive play calling has to get better too. We should be in the I 60-70% of the time and pounding the ball for 70% of our plays IMO. Too much talent in the backfield to be running the spread that much. Just my take, I may be wrong though.

Jumpers struggled running the ball except for a couple of plays tonight...Could have been due to Breathitt's D though. Have not shown an ability to dominate up front yet to be able to pound the ball like we should be able to.

Passing game didn't look as bad as E. Jess game but still too many passes missed and dropped. At the end Tanner was running for his life as Breathitt was coming with their ears pinned back.

Jumpers will be OK, just need some consistency.
Thought this game would be closer.
Will Hinton banged up on the night. Jumpers had a new long snapper in for this reason. The two high snaps were a result of two players being injured. Bottom line though, those two mishaps were not the only things that went wrong for the jumpers tonight... Hopefully this loss wakes them up
If I'm Castle Hatcher, I'm sick to my stomach watching that from the sidelines.
Bobcats are tough!
Jumper Dad Wrote:Jumpers struggled running the ball except for a couple of plays tonight...Could have been due to Breathitt's D though. Have not shown an ability to dominate up front yet to be able to pound the ball like we should be able to.

Passing game didn't look as bad as E. Jess game but still too many passes missed and dropped. At the end Tanner was running for his life as Breathitt was coming with their ears pinned back.

Jumpers will be OK, just need some consistency.

Let me ask you this JD. Do you think Hatcher should maybe be given a few series a game to see if he can get the offense going. He hasn't gotten any series in the last two games, has he? I'm not trying to knock Gadberry at all, but we have to get something going to get the offense on track.
Wow.
Dumpster Diving Wrote:If I'm Castle Hatcher, I'm sick to my stomach watching that from the sidelines.

Kind of beat me to the punch on that one, haha.
I think both teams shot their self in the foot tonight.on the jumpers behalf they missed some key field goals( but in high school your lucky if u can find a kicker to kick extra points), the bobbled punt that lead to a safety . For bobcats they missed four chances to score in the red zone.(it could of easily been 42-13) But you also have to give credit to Somerset defense for bending not breaking. So I think both teams will improve from this game. I just wish the bobcats had a few more games of this caliber, Hazard and maybe clay Co is the only games they have left that may give the bobcats a game. Also I like to add that I'm glad no one got seriously injured for either team.(I'm sure both teams will feel like they were in a car wreck tomorrow morning.)
Title town 3 Wrote:I think both teams shot their self in the foot tonight.on the jumpers behalf they missed some key field goals( but in high school your lucky if u can find a kicker to kick extra points), the bobbled punt that lead to a safety . For bobcats they missed four chances to score in the red zone.(it could of easily been 42-13) But you also have to give credit to Somerset defense for bending not breaking. So I think both teams will improve from this game. I just wish the bobcats had a few more games of this caliber, Hazard and maybe clay Co is the only games they have left that may give the bobcats a game. Also I like to add that I'm glad no one got seriously injured for either team.(I'm sure both teams will feel like they were in a car wreck tomorrow morning.)

You can't really say it should have been 42-13 just because Breathitt got in the red zone and couldn't convert because Somerset had a couple in the red zone with no points as well. The game played out the way it was supposed to, Breathitt was the better team tonight. Overall though there is very little separating the two.
Couldn't hurt giving Castle a couple of series, but what would that do to Tanners confidence? Jumpers need to stand for something on offense, but right now can't really hang their hat on anything.

Good news is except for Danville this is probably the best team we will play all year.
RoShamBo Wrote:Offensive play calling has to get better too. We should be in the I 60-70% of the time and pounding the ball for 70% of our plays IMO. Too much talent in the backfield to be running the spread that much. Just my take, I may be wrong though.

Yeah, like finally getting a Will Lange sweep with 20 seconds left. We should have used that all night.

Say what you want, but IMO our play calling needs new life. I think the last few games showed false hope for the offensive creativity
Game went almost exactly how I pictured it when I predicted a 26-14 game. I figured Breathitt would struggle early on adjusting to the speed of the game and step up in competition, but they would regain form and capitalize on the big play. Somerset has a very, very good defense,,, but their offense has a long ways to go to knock off a team the calibre of Breathitt.

Very good win for Breathitt in a game both teams desperately needed to help them improve and et ready for the playoffs.
Jumper Dad Wrote:Couldn't hurt giving Castle a couple of series, but what would that do to Tanners confidence? Jumpers need to stand for something on offense, but right now can't really hang their hat on anything.

Good news is except for Danville this is probably the best team we will play all year.

I get what you are saying but we need to do something to get a little spark on offense. The way it's shaping up district play isn't going to be a walk in the park like the last few seasons. Whether it's a change in the play calling or a personnel shake up we have to figure something out offensively or we could see home field advantage going to Danville or Lexington. I'm not saying we should banish Tanner to the sidelines by any means, but trying to shake things up by giving Castle a few snaps a game couldn't hurt IMO. The kid is too talented to not see the field, especially when our offense is struggling like they were tonight.
Pages: 1 2 3