Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Laurel 2012
Please tell me RUTG, just how many region championships that almighty great Whitley program has played in and won over all those years? What you dont see that i'm trying to tell you is that the South program has never had any support they basically get very little funds and its really hard to remember all the number of coaches.......on the other hand Whitley gets tremendous supoport and they have endless supply of money going into the program , yet that hasnt translated into that much of a difference in succes on the field since 1992. A loss is a loss is a loss.........be it 2 pts or 30 pts.
hoops_town Wrote:Please tell me RUTG, just how many region championships that almighty great Whitley program has played in and won over all those years? What you dont see that i'm trying to tell you is that the South program has never had any support they basically get very little funds and its really hard to remember all the number of coaches.......on the other hand Whitley gets tremendous supoport and they have endless supply of money going into the program , yet that hasnt translated into that much of a difference in succes on the field since 1992. A loss is a loss is a loss.........be it 2 pts or 30 pts.

I'm glad your shedding light on the true South Laurel way. Complete arrogance.
We just had a Region Championship 4 years ago, along with plenty of district titles to go along with them. If it wasnt for being stuck in a district with powerhouses Bell and Rock in the 90's Whitley would have probably 20 district titles. But what we do have is still alot more than South and North combined.
Dont forget that Whitley's program isnt that old. It just started in the mid 60's.
We do have a tremendous amount of support, but we play with what we got. North and South both are larger than Whitley and are the biggest schools in EKy yet you lose to small schools on a yearly basis. I was simply pointing out the facts that you obviously did not want to hear.
What are you talking about money for? This once again proves my point. Sound like the PARENTS of your program should get out and do a little fundraising and you need to hire someone whos going to get it done on and off the field. More kids = More Money. And you know as well as i do, South has plenty of it. Seems like you all should get to doing more for the football program instead of the basketball, which has even fell off. People here have accepted the fact that the football team will get the majority of the supplies, and they should considering its what brings in the money. Without football there wouldnt even be funds for baseball.
I will agree that since 2004 with the exception of 2008, Whitley's program has been slipping a bit due to the changing times, but if you overlook these few down years weve had you'll see a major difference in success.
To be quite honest, i'm a Corbin fan as well. My entire family went to Crobin except for myself, and i know you dont want to compare historys there. I guess football is just better one county down.
RIUTG, please dont mention NL with SL, I have family at north and that school is not arrogant like them and not even in same category. North football is getting better but for some reason have never been good at football, of the games I have seen them play, they are better than what they used to be.
^
North Laurel IMO has a better football program than South.
There Coach is definitely better.
runitupthegut Wrote:^
north laurel imo has a better football program than south.
There coach is definitely better.

lol
footballfan23 Wrote:lol

From what I have seen and heard, NL does more with what they have than what SL does. But this a topic of Whitley and south, just don't want anyone to think NL and SL fans are the same
west 80 Wrote:from what i have seen and heard, nl does more with what they have than what sl does. But this a topic of whitley and south, just don't want anyone to think nl and sl fans are the same
lol
More with what they have?? 2011- North-64 kids South-55 kids 2010 North-65 kids South- 53 kids. That more with what they have has translated into 1 district win in those two seasons. Just pointing out facts, however I do like Larkey but I dont know if he will make it or not. I wouldnt be suprised to see him back with his dad at Harlan Co after this season. Tommy may start grooming him to take over for him sooner than later. This is a huge season for Chris at North in my opinion.
hoops_town Wrote:More with what they have?? 2011- North-64 kids South-55 kids 2010 North-65 kids South- 53 kids. That more with what they have has translated into 1 district win in those two seasons. Just pointing out facts, however I do like Larkey but I dont know if he will make it or not. I wouldnt be suprised to see him back with his dad at Harlan Co after this season. Tommy may start grooming him to take over for him sooner than later. This is a huge season for Chris at North in my opinion.

Quantity doesn't equal quality.
I agree, but the 2010 senior class was a very very good class for North Laurel. It seemed as though there was alot of pressure coming from someplace to go with the youth movement during that season.
Who in 2010's class did they have? #4 was a good player. One good lineman.(Jalen?) Who else? Losing Wardrup and Shears from 2009 were HUGE loses.
Jason Williams, Ronnie Rotundi, Hughie Wagers, Jaylin Baker, Gus Sulfridge, Johnny Ray Fugate, Phillip Dezarn, just to name a few. This class was very good all through school. I am pretty sure this was the class that killed everyone back in the 8th grade and won the conference title. They were very succesful at freshman and JV level also but never panned out by thier senior years. These kids had alot of talent also, along with the rest of that class. I think the Rotundi kid missed alot of that season with an injury or it could have been the year before.
hoops_town Wrote:Jason Williams, Ronnie Rotundi, Hughie Wagers, Jaylin Baker, Gus Sulfridge, Johnny Ray Fugate, Phillip Dezarn, just to name a few. This class was very good all through school. I am pretty sure this was the class that killed everyone back in the 8th grade and won the conference title. They were very succesful at freshman and JV level also but never panned out by thier senior years. These kids had alot of talent also, along with the rest of that class. I think the Rotundi kid missed alot of that season with an injury or it could have been the year before.

QB was average at best without Shears and Wardrup. With them he was OK. wins in junior high and JV are nice to brag about, but mean nothing on a varsity level.
QB was Johnny Ray Fugate, and he was pretty dang good, he split the QB duties with Wardrup most of the 2009 season. Wardrup had fumblitis, but he was very talented. There was an Adams kid in that 2010 class that was good also. Williams was #4 on that team I think.
And you are right about junior high and jv but seldom do you see 1 and 2 win lower level teams win at the varsity level either
hoops_town Wrote:QB was Johnny Ray Fugate, and he was pretty dang good, he split the QB duties with Wardrup most of the 2009 season. Wardrup had fumblitis, but he was very talented. There was an Adams kid in that 2010 class that was good also. Williams was #4 on that team I think.

Fugate was OK. I know about Wardrup. Good athlete. Did lots of stuff. It is easy to look good at QB when you have Wardrup running the ball and Shears to throw to. Only average to me though without them.
footballfan23 Wrote:lol

I would take Larkey over Welch any day of the week.
hoops_town Wrote:Jason Williams, Ronnie Rotundi, Hughie Wagers, Jaylin Baker, Gus Sulfridge, Johnny Ray Fugate, Phillip Dezarn, just to name a few. This class was very good all through school. I am pretty sure this was the class that killed everyone back in the 8th grade and won the conference title. They were very succesful at freshman and JV level also but never panned out by thier senior years. These kids had alot of talent also, along with the rest of that class. I think the Rotundi kid missed alot of that season with an injury or it could have been the year before.

Those 7 guys beat everyone? What happened to the rest of the team? Really living in the 8th grade doesn't mean much, teams at Northern Pulaski have won many middle school state titles but not much in HS. Sometimes in 8th grade a kid is bigger than everyone else and stops growing in HS and everyone else catches up.
West 80 Wrote:Those 7 guys beat everyone? What happened to the rest of the team? Really living in the 8th grade doesn't mean much, teams at Northern Pulaski have won many middle school state titles but not much in HS. Sometimes in 8th grade a kid is bigger than everyone else and stops growing in HS and everyone else catches up.

:truestory:
West 80 Wrote:Those 7 guys beat everyone? What happened to the rest of the team? Really living in the 8th grade doesn't mean much, teams at Northern Pulaski have won many middle school state titles but not much in HS. Sometimes in 8th grade a kid is bigger than everyone else and stops growing in HS and everyone else catches up.

Thats just the ones that I can remember right away, I am pretty sure there was 18-20 seniors in that class.
^
Per KHSAA, NL only had 13 seniors that year.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
Per KHSAA, NL only had 13 seniors that year.

Actually 14 Per KHSAA, but not quite as many as I thought. I was thinking Ball, Massey and the older Wibbles kid was in that class but they were a year behind. All three of those were very good football players
Let's get back on SL topic, is it true the WR that SL has that transferred to Knox is back on the team, a Mitchell I think and if show is he cleared to play so fast? I had heard his dad had a fake address and still iced in London.
Mitchell played basketball for South last season, if it's the same person.

Northern Pulaski won the 7th grade state title in 2010. They won the 8th grade state title in 2011. (Same group of players). Those kids will be freshmen for PC this fall. Not so sure that qualifies as "many state titles."
As far as "not much in high school," PC has won 42 games in the last 5 seasons. Included in that is 2 District 7 (5A) titles, and one 5A Regional Championship. Also, one Region "Runner up" finish. Three "10 win seasons" in the last 5. That is without those "state title winning middle schoolers" playing a single down yet. That is better than "not much in high school."
HDE Wrote:Mitchell played basketball for South last season, if it's the same person.

It is and how was that possible
^
The biggest way it would be possible is if the former school (in this case Knox Central) didnt fight the transfer.
Since that was probably the case, it doesnt matter.
If the former school doesnt try to fight for the sit out year, it doesnt matter, or if the parents can convince the KHSAA that it was a legitimate move, which rarely happens without sitting out a year, then it doesnt matter.