Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College Degrees
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Absoloutly.
Any degree is better than none and i think people would be shocked to find out how quickly they could obtain an associates in communication which could help there pay a lot depending on where you work.
Its so broad that many big corporate guys have degrees in it.

I agree, many people believe a communications degree is only good for journalism, broadcasting, and public relations. I know a lot of people in sales, teaching, law enforcement and politics with a communications degree.
Personally, not a big fan of degrees. I have two college degrees, and yes, I do have a job and a good one at that - but in the field of work I am in, and most other business fields, you learn about 2% of what you really need to know in college.
^^^That goes with nearly everything...
WideRight05 Wrote:Personally, not a big fan of degrees. I have two college degrees, and yes, I do have a job and a good one at that - but in the field of work I am in, and most other business fields, you learn about 2% of what you really need to know in college.

You must have finished at the top of your class

[Image: http://casafoodshed.org/wp-content/uploa...p-shed.jpg]
^ Hahahhahah f u buddy!!!

But I have to admit that was pretty good.

I finished with a 3.70 overall GPA and won the outstanding senior of the year at my school in my major.
^ lol
WideRight05 Wrote:Personally, not a big fan of degrees. I have two college degrees, and yes, I do have a job and a good one at that - but in the field of work I am in, and most other business fields, you learn about 2% of what you really need to know in college.
I agree. For most careers, college degrees are nothing but scams. A really good high school education - which very few students receive - and some very focused training in the field of one's choice would prepare most people for a career far better than our current system. There are exceptions, such as the medical field and engineering but most people would do fine without most of the required courses that are typical with today's four-year degrees. I have an engineering degree, but probably 95 percent+ of what I did as a mining engineer did not require any of the knowledge that I gained in college - and most of the remaining 5 percent could have been addressed with a beefed up high school math curriculum.

Another thing that disgusts me about today's college degree mills is that it costs as much or more to earn a degree online as it does to attend a bricks and mortar school. The cost of delivering content via the web should be much less than the cost of a traditional college education. I attribute the fact that it is not cheaper to government regulations and the greed of government employed college administrators and teachers. Their salaries are kept artificially high considering their light work load and often negligible useful knowledge that is imparted to their students.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I agree. For most careers, college degrees are nothing but scams. A really good high school education - which very few students receive - and some very focused training in the field of one's choice would prepare most people for a career far better than our current system. There are exceptions, such as the medical field and engineering but most people would do fine without most of the required courses that are typical with today's four-year degrees. I have an engineering degree, but probably 95 percent+ of what I did as a mining engineer did not require any of the knowledge that I gained in college - and most of the remaining 5 percent could have been addressed with a beefed up high school math curriculum.

Another thing that disgusts me about today's college degree mills is that it costs as much or more to earn a degree online as it does to attend a bricks and mortar school. The cost of delivering content via the web should be much less than the cost of a traditional college education. I attribute the fact that it is not cheaper to government regulations and the greed of government employed college administrators and teachers. Their salaries are kept artificially high considering their light work load and often negligible useful knowledge that is imparted to their students.

I would much rather hire an employee with an abundance of common sense and are willing to work with street saavy over one that has 3 degrees. Most degree holders that I have hired ended up being educated idiots that ended up having trouble tieing their own shoes.

In my opinion, a communications or a business degree is basicly useless and a huge waste of money. Todays high schoolers are basicly being shamed by their guidance councellors into believing that a degree is a must to survive in todays society, because in reality they dont know anything any better themselves.
Bob Seger Wrote:I would much rather hire an employee with an abundance of common sense and are willing to work with street saavy over one that has 3 degrees. Most degree holders that I have hired ended up being educated idiots that ended up having trouble tieing their own shoes.

In my opinion, a communications or a business degree is basicly useless and a huge waste of money. Todays high schoolers are basicly being shamed by their guidance councellors into believing that a degree is a must to survive in todays society, because in reality they dont know anything any better themselves.
I agree but the unfortunate truth is that many employers will either not hire people without college degrees or they impose glass ceilings for promotion of employees without degrees. There are some exceptions and I think that the bias in favor of degreed applicants may be diminishing some as the cost of degrees continues to far outstrip the cost of living.

I worked for an IT company in Indianapolis whose owner could not have cared less about your degree. Most of his employees did have degrees but if you could program and had no degree or had a degree in Puerto Rican Women's Studies, you were treated the same as a Computer Science major with the same skills. Small business owners are far less hung up on degrees and tend to be more concerned with employees' ability to do the job than large companies are, IMO.
I agree Hoot! Good points by Hoot and Seger in the previous posts.

One problem with education is that many students just come in expecting to get the degree, and don't take advantage of all of the opportunities that are available. One of my favorite professors in college always called it "the puzzle," in that you need to get:

A. The degree/good GPA (At LEAST 3.0)
B. Work experience/internships
C. Be involved in an organization on campus related to your major, and show some kind of leadership role in that (officer position, etc).

A lot of students get what I mentioned in A, but they don't (nor do the put the effort in this) take advantage of B and C. Colleges have SO many good networking organizations to get involved with. I was fortunate enough to be the president of two of them in college. You get to meet a lot of professionals in your field, and you also make important contacts. When I was interviewing with different firms, I knew almost everybody that interviewed me because of this organization. Any other student that was real involved will tell you the same thing. This led to the opportunitiy to do three internships throughout my college career, which any employer will tell you is important to your degree. My school also had a career services center, which many universities have (And if anyone on here in school is reading my post, TAKE ADVANTAGE OF WHAT I AM TELLING YOU ABOUT!!!). You learn how to create a resume, and you learn important job interviewing skills. You also have the opportunity to submit your resume into a big "pool" where employers in your major (and this can also go for looking for jobs to work to support yourself while in school) can see your resume and will contact you if they express interest in you. For what it's worth, I had a job locked in by November of my senior year - and a majority of the students that took advantage of these opportunities will tell you very similar stories.

Also, being in a leadership position in these groups, I got to travel to places like NY, San Jose, and DC all for free, and got to network and meet a lot of people in my field in those areas. One person I am currently friends with, a partner at a large firm in San Francisco, has been a huge help to my starting out my career and a great mentor. I didn't know how long all of you have been out of school or if you are still in, but these are the kind of opportunities that are available at universities that many people do not take advantage of.

Even with all of this though, colleges still do not teach students the proper skills to succeed in the real world. In the business fields, you learn a lot about terminology, math problems, and writing reports. In management you don't learn the leadership skills necessary for your field, in accounting/finance you don't learn the proper systems or skills you will be using on your job, and in marketing you learn very little about how to think or improve the marketing of a company. Most of this comes from my experience and two business degrees, which I know is different from the scientific or teaching fields that what you learn in class probably helps out more on your job.

Hoot, another point you made is about the small businesses - and you couldn't be more right. I remember being at dinner last year at one of the regional meetings I previously mentioned with a group of people from NY. I happened to mention that I was not going to pursue a Master's degree at the time and they were all like "uhh....what? You've got to have a Master's." A lot of the big four accounting firms are in New York and hire like crazy up there, and they mostly shoot for people who have the Master's degree. Most students I know at the schools up there, such as Pace, SUNY-Buffalo, and Albany go to school for five - six years and get their Master's degree. Someone graduating in business with a bachelor's alone is almost unheard of. Around here, a lot of the firms/businesses are smaller and they shoot for people that have a bachelor's and nothing more. Of course, most firms are set on the fact that you need to get your CPA license regardless of state in accounting. But some will hire people with Associate's degrees if it is someone who plans on staying in a lesser role that does not plan on becoming a CPA. I would guess that in a lot of the other fields of work it is very similar.
I learned absoloutly nothing in college that pertains to my job, but on the flip side, if it werent for my degree, i wouldnt have ever got y job as it was a requirement.

So pretty much you cant live with it and cant live without it.
Bob Seger Wrote:In my opinion, a communications or a business degree is basicly useless and a huge waste of money. Todays high schoolers are basicly being shamed by their guidance councellors into believing that a degree is a must to survive in todays society, because in reality they dont know anything any better themselves.

I work in public relations and I will say that I use around 95% of what I learned from my communications and journalism classes. You don't need a college degree to do it, but media companies hire those graduates before others because they just spent the past 2-4 years going over AP guidelines, media laws, and have been practicing writing stories, broadcasting, and producing enough times to jump right in and start working. Many of these companies don't want to waste money and a lot of time teaching and giving small jobs to a new employee without all that practice. That goes the same for a lot of jobs.

With that being said, college isn't for everybody. A degree can help you get a job, but it doesn't give you job security. Also, it doesn't matter what school you attend, an education is the same everywhere. Heck, I beat out a Columbia and Cornell grad for my job because I knew this area better than they did. According to statistics, I went to one of the worst schools in Kentucky.

Like my boss said, "don't tell and show me how hard you worked, just get the job done on time."
The thing about college now a days is most good employers wont even look at your application if you do not have a degree.
^True.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:The thing about college now a days is most good employers wont even look at your application if you do not have a degree.

It's getting to that point. More and more employers are wanting a degree, especially in the big areas. It's to the point where a lot are wanting people to at least have their Master's degree.
I agree...a lot of degrees are nothing more than money shams. Colleges are continuing to raise the requirements of high schoolers scores on standardized tests (ACT, SAT, etc) to be omitted from taking remedial classes. In doing so, students are having to stay in college longer and spend more money on classes they don't receive credit for. It's a business...and a pretty good one. I have a buddy that works for CSX without a degree and makes 75,000 a year. That's pretty good without having to waste 5 years and get in a ton of debt in the process. Myself...

BS- Mathematics Education, Pikeville College
MAT- Secondary Mathematics Education, University of the Cumberlands
MaED- Instructional Leadership (Principalship), Univ. of the Cumberlands
IRISH4 Wrote:I agree...a lot of degrees are nothing more than money shams. Colleges are continuing to raise the requirements of high schoolers scores on standardized tests (ACT, SAT, etc) to be omitted from taking remedial classes. In doing so, students are having to stay in college longer and spend more money on classes they don't receive credit for. It's a business...and a pretty good one. I have a buddy that works for CSX without a degree and makes 75,000 a year. That's pretty good without having to waste 5 years and get in a ton of debt in the process. Myself...

BS- Mathematics Education, Pikeville College
MAT- Secondary Mathematics Education, University of the Cumberlands
MaED- Instructional Leadership (Principalship), Univ. of the Cumberlands

Oh gosh. Where to start on that one. The first thing that hits me there is my first two years I spent at a community college in my hometown. My first semester the advisor (despite me having a 3.6 high school GPA and a solid ACT score) recommended all kinds of classes to me that didn't amount to anything. Mostly joke classes that teach things like how to study, the basic of the basic math and english classes, etc. that were super easy. I had to bull my way to get through, and I'm glad I did or I would have been there a long time lol. Pretty impressive degree set you have there. I would guess from your post that the advisors at your school tried a similar thing to you like I just mentioned lol.
^
I to got shafted into taking 2 classes i didnt need and its bull shit that you have to pay for these so called "remedial" classes.
I had a 3.8 GPA in high school along with a 22 on my ACT which i took once my Junior year after a football game where i didnt get home until 4 in the morning.
What pissed me off was the fact that they MADE me take it and i had no choice.
Long story short, i actually had a better grade in my actual math class than i had in my remedial one. lol.

It seriously is one big money sham and now that more and more kids are getting an college degree, your going to have to have one just to get a job making 40,000 a year. Its getting harder and harder to find a job, even minimum wage ones, so having a degree definitely puts you at an advantage.
I myself am currently working on a 2 year degree in Business Management. After High School I was on a path to attend Law School and then life got in the way. Now I am trying to make up for my mishaps.

With that being said, I work in education at the University of Kentucky on the medical school side of things. I started from the bottom and worked my way up to where I am now without a degree because of my hard work and willingness to learn and take on new responsibilities. I make a decent living (if I didn't have a family) but I am nowhere near the goal I set coming out of High School.

Speaking from my experiences dealing with medical/college students, my advice to anyone is to obtain a degree and it doesn't matter which school it is from. If it pertains to the career choice you have decided upon then great, if not, don't worry about it. And do not worry about going to an expensive, well known college unless it has been a dream of yours to go there, it will not make a differencein the end. The department I used to work for, the administrator pulled in 6 figures a year and had a 4 year degree in engineering. Had nothing to do with the job he had. On that note, because of the policies of our institution, I could not be interviewed for a Clinical Director position because I didn't have a 4 year degree even though the Medical Director wanted to offer me the job. I could have had a 4 year degree in ballroom dancing and I would have gotten the job. So to put it in perspective, the difference of me not having a degree compared to if I had achieved one was about 40K per year.

So in the end, go to school, get a degree, find a job you enjoy even if it isn't in the field of your schooling. You may have to start at the bottom but eventually it will work out in the end.
Wow, great thread and some great reads.
I do not have any degress. I have 2 years of bullcrap under my belt really, just still going through the basics.. I really do want to go back to school cause reality is getting ready to set in with me being laid off at my present job.

For an accounting job or a business job - what would you guys recomend?
Say a job for a financial institution, finance company, bank, etc.?
Ballers Wrote:Wow, great thread and some great reads.
I do not have any degress. I have 2 years of bullcrap under my belt really, just still going through the basics.. I really do want to go back to school cause reality is getting ready to set in with me being laid off at my present job.

Right up my alley Ballers!

For accounting, I would recommend starting out at a public accounting firm, preferably in auditing. You get SO much experience working with different types of businesses. If auditing isn't your thing, you will at least have the potential to learn a lot about the different fields of business as well as make several new contacts. Auditing is hard to do in school though, so I would make sure to apply for a summer auditing internship at a firm. They pay very, very well. During the year I would recommend trying to work a semester doing tax or bookkeeping to gain good experience. One thing to note with accounting: Career services always tells you to start applying for summer jobs, or full time jobs early in the school year. This especially goes for accounting, where most of the firms do all of their hiring in August or September.

If you are into finance, you could shoot for areas like investments, insurance, or banking. Where I am from most people will shoot for those three, but it's not uncommon to have a career in corporate finance. I did an internship for AFLAC when I was in school in the sales field. I came to find out that insurance wasn't for me, but I did pretty well at it. If you like to sell, that is your field. There are a lot of banks that offer jobs/internships for college students. Whether or not you are into banking, I would recommend trying something in that area just because of how much you learn and how much business knowledge you will gain in that field. And then you get into the investing side of finance. A friend of mine that I worked with on an internship works at a Wealth Management company, and he loves it.

Let me know any questions you may have in these areas. Regardless of what field you choose, I wish you all the best. My advice to you is when you do go back to school, find an internship in the field of work that you choose to do. You will gain valuable experience, and 80 - 90 percent of the time it will lead to a big job offer.
WideRight05 Wrote:Right up my alley Ballers!

For accounting, I would recommend starting out at a public accounting firm, preferably in auditing. You get SO much experience working with different types of businesses. If auditing isn't your thing, you will at least have the potential to learn a lot about the different fields of business as well as make several new contacts. Auditing is hard to do in school though, so I would make sure to apply for a summer auditing internship at a firm. They pay very, very well. During the year I would recommend trying to work a semester doing tax or bookkeeping to gain good experience. One thing to note with accounting: Career services always tells you to start applying for summer jobs, or full time jobs early in the school year. This especially goes for accounting, where most of the firms do all of their hiring in August or September.

If you are into finance, you could shoot for areas like investments, insurance, or banking. Where I am from most people will shoot for those three, but it's not uncommon to have a career in corporate finance. I did an internship for AFLAC when I was in school in the sales field. I came to find out that insurance wasn't for me, but I did pretty well at it. If you like to sell, that is your field. There are a lot of banks that offer jobs/internships for college students. Whether or not you are into banking, I would recommend trying something in that area just because of how much you learn and how much business knowledge you will gain in that field. And then you get into the investing side of finance. A friend of mine that I worked with on an internship works at a Wealth Management company, and he loves it.

Let me know any questions you may have in these areas. Regardless of what field you choose, I wish you all the best. My advice to you is when you do go back to school, find an internship in the field of work that you choose to do. You will gain valuable experience, and 80 - 90 percent of the time it will lead to a big job offer.

Thanks.

Just for an internship though, do they pay you for that while you are in school as well?
Assoc. in Electronic Tech.

Currently working on Physical Education at EKU.
Ballers Wrote:Thanks.

Just for an internship though, do they pay you for that while you are in school as well?

Anymore, 99% of the internships pay you in school, especially in a field like accounting. I was paid on all of the internships I worked in school, and every accounting/finance firm I knew in the area paid their interns as well.
WideRight05 Wrote:Oh gosh. Where to start on that one. The first thing that hits me there is my first two years I spent at a community college in my hometown. My first semester the advisor (despite me having a 3.6 high school GPA and a solid ACT score) recommended all kinds of classes to me that didn't amount to anything. Mostly joke classes that teach things like how to study, the basic of the basic math and english classes, etc. that were super easy. I had to bull my way to get through, and I'm glad I did or I would have been there a long time lol. Pretty impressive degree set you have there. I would guess from your post that the advisors at your school tried a similar thing to you like I just mentioned lol.

HAHA...you're right. I transferred to PC after a brief stint at EKU and was told to enroll in similar classes to what I had already taken and passed with A's. Had to put up a bit of a fight with it and they gave me the chance to take placement tests, which I passed. Tried to hose me...like they do many students every year.
Ballers Wrote:Wow, great thread and some great reads.

Join the Army man. You will be paid to go to college, and if you don't use it, your kids/wife can.
WideRight05 Wrote:Anymore, 99% of the internships pay you in school, especially in a field like accounting. I was paid on all of the internships I worked in school, and every accounting/finance firm I knew in the area paid their interns as well.

My son, as a Freshman will be interning with an appraisal company this summer. I really like the idea. It forces you to use math, comprehension, planning and estimating. Though it may not turn out to be his chose profession, its going to teach tremendous skills for the job market.
^ Trust me my man, that will be HUGE for him! Is he going to double major in accounting/finance?
Stardust Wrote:My son, as a Freshman will be interning with an appraisal company this summer. I really like the idea. It forces you to use math, comprehension, planning and estimating. Though it may not turn out to be his chose profession, its going to teach tremendous skills for the job market.

I hope you've taught him to appreciate how fortunate he is, which I'm sure you have. That's a great, great setup.
Stardust Wrote:My son, as a Freshman will be interning with an appraisal company this summer. I really like the idea. It forces you to use math, comprehension, planning and estimating. Though it may not turn out to be his chose profession, its going to teach tremendous skills for the job market.

Thats a great deal for your son SD. I'd say with the population of NKY and the greater Cincinnati area, theres a lot of work in that professsion and some good pay scales.

This might sound dorky, but i always thought id like being a loan officer who also did appraisals.
Only thing is, the few loan officers i know around here dont make that much. I honestly thought they would make more than they did. A lot of it has to do with what bank your at though.