Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: College Degrees
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I was just curious as to what kind of college degrees some of you have.
For those who went to college, whered you go and what kind of degree did you earn?
I have 2 years worth of college so far. It's a bit tough with my job, but I'm getting it done. I'm going for a Bachelor's in Political Science, minor in Homeland Security. I took online classes with EKU for a while, went to a community college in Clarksville, TN, and now I'm going to a small college in Fayetteville, NC, right off-post.

I'll be taking a year break starting this spring semester because of deployment, but I'll get back to it next January, or if something happens and I'm home early I'll try to get back into school for the next fall semester.
^
Thats great Vundy. Keep at it man.
It wook me 6 years to get a 4 year degree because of work.
I had a couple of homeland security classes when i was in college as well. They were free elective classes and 300 level courses which went toward my graduation.

Is the military helping you any with funding for school?
Information technology 2 year degree from Big Sandy college.
BS in mathematics from Cumberland College and BS in nursing from Lincoln Memorial.
Currently working as employee benefits administrator; designing and maintaining retirement plans for small businesses. Liaison for IRS and DOL. Nursing instructor from time to time for extra income; CPR classes and stuff like that. Online classes toward actuary, though I'll never finish.
BS in Business Law from University of Cincinnati
Working on a Bachelors in Business. I'm 26 and just completed my first semester of college with a 4.0. Still have a long ways to go but better late than never. Of course it's difficult to do this with me having a full time job.
BCF4L Wrote:Working on a Bachelors in Business. I'm 26 and just completed my first semester of college with a 4.0. Still have a long ways to go but better late than never. Of course it's difficult to do this with me having a full time job.

Impressive GPA!! Hang in there; at 25 the "way to go" isn't all that long. Talk about better late than never, I'm still doing classes at 60!
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
Thats great Vundy. Keep at it man.
It wook me 6 years to get a 4 year degree because of work.
I had a couple of homeland security classes when i was in college as well. They were free elective classes and 300 level courses which went toward my graduation.

Is the military helping you any with funding for school?

lol, yeah. They have paid every cent of it. Thank God.
BS -Secondary Education - Slippery Rock University, MA-Secondary Education- NKU, MA-School Administration- Xavier
Associates- General Studies
BS-Business and Technology
Master in Business Administration/Management
BS in Middle Grade Education from THE EKU.
Masters in Middle Grade Education from Morehead.
Associates in Political Science/History. Working on Bachelors in Sec Edu.
BCF4L Wrote:Working on a Bachelors in Business. I'm 26 and just completed my first semester of college with a 4.0. Still have a long ways to go but better late than never. Of course it's difficult to do this with me having a full time job.

Its smart to do only what you can handle.
I tried to overdue it at first and it killed my GPA in the longrun.
I only finished with a 3.1 and had i not tried to take so many classes starting out, i would have done much better.
BA in Elementary/ Middle Grades Education from Midway College

Working on a dual MA from Morehead State in Communications and History
Bachelor's in Communication from Kentucky State, class of 2011
toussaints Wrote:Bachelor's in Communication from Kentucky State, class of 2011

Communications is a great degree to have.
You can do so many thing with communications degree that its unreal.
Ive always thought it was the smartest degree to go after.
for those of you who have obtained or are going to obtain a teaching degree, does the current system scare you at all?
What i mean is, i know of A LOT of people with a teaching degree. Its one of the most popular degrees that EKU hands out every year.
I know its getting harder and harder to find a teaching job.
I actually have a cousin with a teaching degree and she is currently working as a teachers aid making 8 dollar an hour, waiting for a teacher at her school to retire so she can fill the spot.

This may not be the case every where in KY, but i know all three of the Whitley County schools are usually already full every year and if there not full, theyll hire an alum or somebody they want everytime over someone who might be better qualified.
Westside Wrote:BS in Middle Grade Education from THE EKU.
Masters in Middle Grade Education from Morehead.

I know that in high school, you have to get your masters within so many years of getting a teaching degree after youve started teaching somewhere.
Is that the case for middle school as well?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Communications is a great degree to have.

toussaints Wrote:Bachelor's in Communication from Kentucky State, class of 2011
I had less than a year left in undergraduate to have a Communications degree before I changed to Secondary Education. Got to love graduating with a BS and 148 credit hours:yikes:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I know that in high school, you have to get your masters within so many years of getting a teaching degree after you've started teaching somewhere.
Is that the case for middle school as well?
any teacher in Kentucky needs a Master's or 30 hours post graduate program within the first ten years of teaching or you lose your certification
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:for those of you who have obtained or are going to obtain a teaching degree, does the current system scare you at all?
What i mean is, i know of A LOT of people with a teaching degree. Its one of the most popular degrees that EKU hands out every year.
I know its getting harder and harder to find a teaching job.
I actually have a cousin with a teaching degree and she is currently working as a teachers aid making 8 dollar an hour, waiting for a teacher at her school to retire so she can fill the spot.

This may not be the case every where in KY, but i know all three of the Whitley County schools are usually already full every year and if there not full, theyll hire an alum or somebody they want everytime over someone who might be better qualified.
yes and it's not the lack of jobs but the direction public education is heading
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Communications is a great degree to have.

I think any degree is great to have, but you're dead on, communications covers so many things out there and IMO, it's one of the easiest to obtain, unless you hate writing or talking
toussaints Wrote:I think any degree is great to have, but you're dead on, communications covers so many things out there and IMO, it's one of the easiest to obtain, unless you hate writing or talking
World Language requirement got me
nky Wrote:I had less than a year left in undergraduate to have a Communications degree before I changed to Secondary Education. Got to love graduating with a BS and 148 credit hours:yikes:

lol, my brother had a similar situation.
He had 128 hours in and no clue what he wanted to do.
He ended up graduating with a construction management degree and works for a big construction company.
When he finished i think he had around a 150 hours in.

We once did a what if on the schools website with a counselor and he could of had like 14 different degrees with like 6 more hours of each thing, he of cours didnt do that lol.
nky Wrote:I had less than a year left in undergraduate to have a Communications degree before I changed to Secondary Education. Got to love graduating with a BS and 148 credit hours:yikes:

you know I was very close to changing it going into my senior year, but I looked at it and said 32 hours left, i'll just finish it.

and it also helped that my ex was fluent in spanish
toussaints Wrote:I think any degree is great to have, but you're dead on, communications covers so many things out there and IMO, it's one of the easiest to obtain, unless you hate writing or talking

Absoloutly.
Any degree is better than none and i think people would be shocked to find out how quickly they could obtain an associates in communication which could help there pay a lot depending on where you work.
Its so broad that many big corporate guys have degrees in it.
nky Wrote:World Language requirement got me

Public speaking got me :yikes:
toussaints Wrote:you know I was very close to changing it going into my senior year, but I looked at it and said 32 hours left, I'll just finish it.

and it also helped that my ex was fluent in Spanish
:lmao: but then again I had one more year of eligibility left so I was all over that fifth year
I think at Eastern you had to have 6 hours (2 classes) in a foregin language to get a communication degree and although i had two years of spanish in high school, i cant even count to ten in spanish.
My spanish speaking abilities range from Como Estas, and Por Favor
Pages: 1 2 3