Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hazard 57 - Pikeville 35
PHSForever Wrote:I don't completely disagree with you, but I think the true turning point was the onside kick in the 4th with 7+ minutes remaining in the game. D had kind of held pretty decently, and they were only down (I think) a TD at that point. Stupid to go for the onside then.

As for the punt suggestion, it was not a fake. The rugby call only gives the punter the option and he must read that he has a clear path for a 1st down. It was not a bad call, just a very bad read by Burgy. I won't say it cost the game, because it was a number of things.

Now to the kickoff... The onside, while you can debate whether or not you would do it in that situation is fair, it was not a bad call, because it should have worked. It was an excellent kick, but Burgy failed to either a.) fall on the ball or b.) knock out the guy that recovered allowing a Panther to go after it.

Both ideas were good and should have been executed better. That is my opinion on the subjects.
^Glad to see Pikeville getting back to there football ways.. Should make for some good semi-finals games.. I was hoping now that LCA left 1A that someone would step up and give the bulldogs a fight.
I am no longer a Panther, but my heart will always belong to Pike High. My years spent there were the best of my life and i really wish i could have been a member of this Pather Football team. They play with so much heart and have so much to be proud of. I was pullin for these boys hard, but i know that with what is in place in the Jr. High with Shane Hensley and what Coach Mac is doing they will be adding many years to the bottom of the score board at Hillard Howard. I know that ill always be a part of that One Unit, One Panther Family. Ya Gotta Love It. Hail Pikeville!
GOOD JOB BULLDOGS!!!
GOOD LUCK AT STATE!!!

Congrats to Pikeville on a good game and a good season!!

[Image: http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y296/fangsjs/178.jpg]
Wow! I never expected a final score with that many points. But, as I mentioned in a post earlier this week, I thought Hazard was too much for Pikeville.
Panther Thunder Wrote:As for the punt suggestion, it was not a fake. The rugby call only gives the punter the option and he must read that he has a clear path for a 1st down. It was not a bad call, just a very bad read by Burgy. I won't say it cost the game, because it was a number of things.

Now to the kickoff... The onside, while you can debate whether or not you would do it in that situation is fair, it was not a bad call, because it should have worked. It was an excellent kick, but Burgy failed to either a.) fall on the ball or b.) knock out the guy that recovered allowing a Panther to go after it.

Both ideas were good and should have been executed better. That is my opinion on the subjects.

I still disagree with the rugby style kick. I think they kick that away and the defense get a stop then they have another chance to tie the game up. But instead they have hazard a short field and they converted. The onside kick was an excellent idea because the boy booted about every kick in the endzone and Pikeville thought the onside would be a surprise but hazard was somewhat ready for it.
As I was opening BGR, I was praying that both Pikeville and Belfry won...at least one of them did. But still...I was going to try and make the trip to the State Championship if Pikeville had made it. Nevertheless...they weren't expected to do this well this year, and this is one hell of a season to build on!

Good job boys..congrats Hazard.
How bout them dawgs !!!!!
Congratulations Hazard! Make the most of the trip to the final.

Pikeville, Congratulations on a great season! This team reminded me of some of the other great Pikeville teams of the past. Lots of heart and no quitting. Good luck next season!
Just curious why are all the Pikeville fans on here saying this team wasn't expected to have a good year? Twenty seniors on a 1A football team is the year to get it done!
Congrats to the Bulldogs. Also will be good to see the Band of Gold play one more time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KentuckyFan35 Wrote:Just curious why are all the Pikeville fans on here saying this team wasn't expected to have a good year? Twenty seniors on a 1A football team is the year to get it done!

Because of their cupcake schedule?
Clint Westwood Wrote:Because of their cupcake schedule?

It was a serious question Clint now that you have commented, I fear I want get an answer!
Congratulations to the Hazard Bulldogs on a great game and a great season.
A good year for Pikeville also making it this far and defeating an undefeated Fairview team.
Good Luck Bulldogs in the state finals vs. Mayfield.
I have seen 403 yards rushing and 3 TDs for Zack Blanton of Hazard and over 300 yards. I don't know what the official number is but an outstanding game.
After being behind 19-7 in the second quarter Hazard refused to quit and tied the score 22-22 by halftime and then scored 2 touchdowns in the first 2 1/2 minutes of the third quarter.
KentuckyFan35 Wrote:It was a serious question Clint now that you have commented, I fear I want get an answer!

Just speculating but maybe they (seniors) did not have that much experience and maybe they weren't overall that athletic? Sorry I wasn't as serious in my first comment.
Congratulations Hazard, bring one home to the mountains. Congrats to Pikeville on a great year. I've enjoyed cheering for you guys this year. As a Belfry guy who was raised to hate anything Pikeville (because thats the way sports and rivalries are) I have found myself pulling for you all to improve to where you all use to be and I believe you are on the right track.:Thumbs:
Not one loss to be ashamed of this season including last night. So proud of this team, the fans, and most definitely the coaching staff. Coach Mac and his staff have done an excellant job this season with these young men. So proud to look up in the bleachers and see all the maroon. What a following!!
Congrats to Hazard! Make the mountains proud and bring home the hardware!!
Panther Thunder and Hail Pikeville have said it much better than I can...
What a great job by the coaching staff, players and also the fans!
Write it down, Pikeville football is back!!! Already hoping to see Hazard and Pikeville meet up at Pikeville next year!

Again, congrats to the coaching staff and football team for a fantastic season. Thanks for the memories!

:notworthy
KentuckyFan35 Wrote:Just curious why are all the Pikeville fans on here saying this team wasn't expected to have a good year? Twenty seniors on a 1A football team is the year to get it done!
There were at most 13. I believe 12, though. One was a kicker only, and half did not get very much playing time at all. While the senior class did provide excellent leadership and being great teammates, the production outside of Maynard and Miller offensively and Hefner and Maynard defensively was by underclassmen.

McPeek and Robinson did an excellent job on both sides of the line, but you have to think that coming into the season Robinson had missed both his sophomore and junior seasons due to early season injuries. Gavin Miller had returned to action for the first time since early in his sophomore season. Nick Jones was hit and miss coming in but turned into a pleasant surprise on the defensive side of the ball.

And the production from Black (soph), Hall (soph), Estep (fresh), Maynard (fresh), Anderson (junior) was what was hard to predict and these guys all stepped up and played very, very well.

I think Pikeville fans tend to be more conservative on preseason predictions based on the troubles with the program lately and the expectations were not as high with a lot of uncertainty coming into the season, but all the uncertainty was met head on by this team and they turned into a solid football team by the end of the year.
The Khsaa team roster for Pikeville listed 20 upper classmen,juniors and seniors. It also is showing that next season Pikeville will have only 5 seniors and 8 juniors with only 7 sophomores. With such a low number of upper classmen and the lack of Randy Maynard (he was such a large leadership figure for thier team) the coaching staff will have their work cut out for them next year. Congrats on a great season this year and good luck next year.
^ Hazard apparently has the same predicament next season with 6 seniors and 9 juniors respectively. Although the Dawgs do have a large number of freshmen coming in. Congrats on the win and good luck next week against the Cardinals.
Well...Fairview found out what a "cupcake" schedule does for you, didn't they? And did you even notice our 3 losses were to teams who are playing for their respective state championships, like Panther Thunder pointed out?
Panther Thunder Wrote:As for the punt suggestion, it was not a fake. The rugby call only gives the punter the option and he must read that he has a clear path for a 1st down. It was not a bad call, just a very bad read by Burgy. I won't say it cost the game, because it was a number of things.

Excellent points, I guess I could have worded it better and said the execution stunk on the on-side kick. Thanks for clearing it up, PT.
Yeah Pikeville had a "Cupcake" schedule alright. The only good team they played all year was...Fairview...How did that one turn out again?:flame:
jetpilot Wrote:Panther Thunder and Hail Pikeville have said it much better than I can...
What a great job by the coaching staff, players and also the fans!
Write it down, Pikeville football is back!!! Already hoping to see Hazard and Pikeville meet up at Pikeville next year!

Again, congrats to the coaching staff and football team for a fantastic season. Thanks for the memories!

:notworthy
Weve came a long way from when certain people (Ill not name names) were saying "Pikeville Football is dead!" Do you remember who said that JP? Wink
Panther Thunder Wrote:There were at most 13. I believe 12, though. One was a kicker only, and half did not get very much playing time at all. While the senior class did provide excellent leadership and being great teammates, the production outside of Maynard and Miller offensively and Hefner and Maynard defensively was by underclassmen.

McPeek and Robinson did an excellent job on both sides of the line, but you have to think that coming into the season Robinson had missed both his sophomore and junior seasons due to early season injuries. Gavin Miller had returned to action for the first time since early in his sophomore season. Nick Jones was hit and miss coming in but turned into a pleasant surprise on the defensive side of the ball.

And the production from Black (soph), Hall (soph), Estep (fresh), Maynard (fresh), Anderson (junior) was what was hard to predict and these guys all stepped up and played very, very well.

I think Pikeville fans tend to be more conservative on preseason predictions based on the troubles with the program lately and the expectations were not as high with a lot of uncertainty coming into the season, but all the uncertainty was met head on by this team and they turned into a solid football team by the end of the year.

Thanks PT, I had looked at Pikeville's roster on the khsaa page and there were 15 seniors but a Pikeville fan at the game told me 20. You guy's are a great bunch of fan's! Most people I've seen at Daniel Field in a long time.
Hector Wrote:I've uploaded some photos...

[Image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/a...eville.jpg]
http://www.smoothphoto.com/Sports-Photos...ille-2011/

This picture is definitely "one on one"
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Weve came a long way from when certain people (Ill not name names) were saying "Pikeville Football is dead!" Do you remember who said that JP? Wink

Lots of people including me, it was dead but now it is back and everything is in place for a great run!
Did Pikeville score their 35 on Hazard's seconds?