Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Middlesboro Fan punches Bell County Coach
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I dont know about you all, but im so damn sick of hearing about running up the scores.
If your team gets beat by 80 then your team sucks, get over it.
If i was a high school coach id score a 100 if i had a chance. Who cares about the feelings of the players. They agreed to play and they know they can get stomped. This whole, you ran up the score act is getting old.
Grow a pair and get better instead of crying about getting thumped.
While I understand your point - I could not disagree more. Think of it like this. What is the purpose of sport? Why do we allow our sons and daughters to invest countless hours to train and practice and risk life and limb to compete? If your answer to that is to win by as big a margin as possible against every opponent you face you number yourself with those who have a short sighted view of what sports can do for a young person who participates in a program with right focus.

By not showing restraint and by humiliating weaker opponents what message would you be sending to your players? If a program has the larger goal of using sport to help develop young men and women of character they will not only win they will win with dignity and honor and teach those traits to their players by doing so.
Bear_Paw Wrote:Why would you ASSume this post was by and HC fan? All our fans were in Gate City and would not have seen this incident? Real Harlan County fans understand you cant be the best until you beat the best. We'll see who is who when the day comes in a few weeks. IF we blessed enough to win that game we still have several more years before we can even come close to living up to the Bell legacy. Simple as that......
Good post bear paw..and I personally love what Coach Larkey is all about.
And I know you Harlan County folks are excited.
As well your own Harlan city looks really good are Harlan & harlan county playing this year..man that would be a very good game and good draw. :Thumbs:
Death Wrote:Running up the score does happen but you have to be able to control yourself and not attack someone. But reguardless its sad to see things like this happen.

the assault happened at halftime when the score was 14 to29 it had nothing to do with 'running up the score'.:please:
belldad2011 Wrote:the assault happened at halftime when the score was 14 to29 it had nothing to do with 'running up the score'.:please:

What was the reason?
Football1 Wrote:While I understand your point - I could not disagree more. Think of it like this. What is the purpose of sport? Why do we allow our sons and daughters to invest countless hours to train and practice and risk life and limb to compete? If your answer to that is to win by as big a margin as possible against every opponent you face you number yourself with those who have a short sighted view of what sports can do for a young person who participates in a program with right focus.

By not showing restraint and by humiliating weaker opponents what message would you be sending to your players? If a program has the larger goal of using sport to help develop young men and women of character they will not only win they will win with dignity and honor and teach those traits to their players by doing so.

Then what kind of example is college football setting by having the BCS system when every week goes by your performance, not just wins or losses? A team is likely to fall a couple of spots if they only beat a bad team by 2 or 3 instead of leaving in starters and winning by 70 and making your stats look better, which is the bcs is all about.
I know you'll say high school isnt the bcs, however, if you kid is playing high school football im sure it is his and the parents dream to go to a D1 college and play under the bcs system so theyll be heading into that direction anyways.
You can holler character and sportmanship all you want but if you dont want to get throbbed, nobody makes a coach schedule teams that can destroy them.
Ive been on the recieving in of a couple of whoopins but i have NEVER complained about running up the score, its why we play the game. I say if you need to work on your passing game when your already up 40, go for it! Its just getting old hearing people whine about running up the score when as long as your the one doing it, nobody cares.
Last week Middlesboro beat Hancock Co. Tenn. by a score of 62-7. Who was running up the score then. Like I said earlier,if you dish it out you have to be able to take it.
LOL this has to be the funniest yet strangest thing ive ever heard of in high school football, well 2nd funniest. i saw on the news yesterday that a ref was attacked by coaches and players lol not sure what team it was but he got powned
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Then what kind of example is college football setting by having the BCS system when every week goes by your performance, not just wins or losses? A team is likely to fall a couple of spots if they only beat a bad team by 2 or 3 instead of leaving in starters and winning by 70 and making your stats look better, which is the bcs is all about.
I know you'll say high school isnt the bcs, however, if you kid is playing high school football im sure it is his and the parents dream to go to a D1 college and play under the bcs system so theyll be heading into that direction anyways.
You can holler character and sportmanship all you want but if you dont want to get throbbed, nobody makes a coach schedule teams that can destroy them.
Ive been on the recieving in of a couple of whoopins but i have NEVER complained about running up the score, its why we play the game. I say if you need to work on your passing game when your already up 40, go for it! Its just getting old hearing people whine about running up the score when as long as your the one doing it, nobody cares.
I'm not much of a student of the BCS system. I imagine your description is accurate and as such I'm not a fan of it as any system that provides incentive for a game to become a an excuse to humliate a lesser opponent.

Some people really do just "holler" character and sportsmanship. The great coaches like John Wooden, Bobby Bowden, and Lou Holtz expect players and coaches to live those words and not just speak them. Coaches may schedule teams they know they are unlikely to beat. But I still believe there is an unspoken contract of sportsmanship among the men who lead most teams that says "I will repsect you and your team".

The great ones play the game for more than the scoreboard.
Can you dig it? Wrote:Since it was determined that the attacker was not a Middlesboro coach, I think it would be a good idea for someone to change the heading on this thread. Is that possible?

William Muney Wrote:I agree!!!

Changed!!!
Football1 Wrote:I'm not much of a student of the BCS system. I imagine your description is accurate and as such I'm not a fan of it as any system that provides incentive for a game to become a an excuse to humliate a lesser opponent.

Some people really do just "holler" character and sportsmanship. The great coaches like John Wooden, Bobby Bowden, and Lou Holtz expect players and coaches to live those words and not just speak them. Coaches may schedule teams they know they are unlikely to beat. But I still believe there is an unspoken contract of sportsmanship among the men who lead most teams that says "I will repsect you and your team".

All of the coaches you mentioned have had some MAJOR blowouts over there careers. I dont see how that helped you define this in any way.
Theres always gonna be blowouts. Its a part of football. No sense in crying about it.
Whether a team gets beat 2-0 or 80-0. Its still a loss either way. And either way, there life will go on. Im about 100% theres never been a player commit suicide for getting "the score ran up" on them. I also believe it has very little to do with whether they get a job years down the road. Call me crazy, but ive never had a boss that said "no, sorry, we cant hire you. You ran up the score on Whitley back in the day" or have i ever had one that said "nope, we cant hire you, Whitley beat you all 99-6 your senior year."
Cmon, gimme a break.
Gotta love foosball in the mountains!
hop24 Wrote:Gotta love foosball in the mountains!

Do they play football anywhere else?:biggrin:
hop24 Wrote:Gotta love foosball in the mountains!

RunItUpTheGut Wrote:All of the coaches you mentioned have had some MAJOR blowouts over there careers. I dont see how that helped you define this in any way.
Theres always gonna be blowouts. Its a part of football. No sense in crying about it.
Whether a team gets beat 2-0 or 80-0. Its still a loss either way. And either way, there life will go on. Im about 100% theres never been a player commit suicide for getting "the score ran up" on them. I also believe it has very little to do with whether they get a job years down the road. Call me crazy, but ive never had a boss that said "no, sorry, we cant hire you. You ran up the score on Whitley back in the day" or have i ever had one that said "nope, we cant hire you, Whitley beat you all 99-6 your senior year."
Cmon, gimme a break.
Both of you guys have very valid comments on this topic. But really I don't think that Bell ran the score up on Middlesboro. The score was 48 to 14 in the 3rd when Bell started replacing starters and after they scored again the third stringers started going into the game. Chase Roark was responsible for either scoring himself or passing for 7 of the 9 TD's Middlesboro scored in the Hancock Co. game. That makes the score 43-7 . But it didn't stop there. So if you are going to do it to pad stats,then expect it when you play someone better than you and don't cry about it when it happens.
I think this bowl game that BELL and MIDDLESBORO play together should change to a COUNTY vs COUNTY Battle. It could be a COUNTY competition HARLAN CITY vs. MIDDLESBORO and HARLAN COUNTY vs. BELL COUNTY like the third game of the year this would end alot of this argument this early in the season.
Middleboro Ind Vs Harlan Ind
Harlan County Vs Bell County

BELL COUNTY/HARLAN COUNTY BOWL 2012
2nd or 3rd week End the arguments THAT WOULD BE A HHHUUUGGGEEE GATE
FilthyAnimals Wrote:Middleboro Ind Vs Harlan Ind

It use to rotate i believe.
Ive always said that i would love to see Bell, Whitley, Corbin, and Mboro in it every year.
I would also like to see it go to a different place every year so a kid get to play it at home one time in his career. Every year it should be Corbin vs. Whitley and Mboro vs. Bell.
You wanna see a huge gate, that would probably be the biggest profit making night in the mountains. Whitley and Bell already play every year and now Corbin has to play them, so with that said just make it the same matchup every year andhave those two games and youve made some money.
Harlan County could also play Perry County the same way in a Bowl.
Harlan City VS Hazard
Perry County Central VS. Harlan County

This would also be a big DoubleHitter Bowl Game. Just adds more excitement to the Great Match Ups.
FilthyAnimals Wrote:Middleboro Ind Vs Harlan Ind

if they played it at middlesborothere would be no place to set or park:redboxer:
Football1 Wrote:I'm not much of a student of the BCS system. I imagine your description is accurate and as such I'm not a fan of it as any system that provides incentive for a game to become a an excuse to humliate a lesser opponent.

I am a student of the BCS system and it SUCKS.
belldad2011 Wrote:if they played it at middlesborothere would be no place to set or park:redboxer:

It could be alternated each year from Bell County and Harlan County. Middlesboro and Harlan City would allways be on a neutral field. Charge $8.00 to $10.00 admission for both games and split the Gate 25% each among teams. There would'nt be any empty seats and not much room around the fields.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I dont know about you all, but im so damn sick of hearing about running up the scores.
If i was a high school coach id score a 100 if i had a chance. Who cares about the feelings of the players. They agreed to play and they know they can get stomped. This whole, you ran up the score act is getting old.

My wife has allways said " Why would someone invite you to there HOUSE, So you can whoop there A--" . She started saying this after Bell County Played Alcoa TN. I agree that Bell county has whoop Harlan County over the past few years but sooner or later those Boys grow up and give that old man a Whooping I hope it comes this year... BUT IT WILL COME!!!!!!:redboxer::redboxer::redboxer:

Beautifully said.

Amen!

It's not the team's fault for running up the score, it's the other team's fault because there defense isn't stopping them!
Of course they had blowouts - they were great coaches. But your point is coaches should score as much as they can on an opponent without any limitation - if that means beating a team 80-0 with your starters in the game 4 quarters; all the better, right? NONE of those coaches won in such a manner. And no decent coach would.

Your point about jobs is an interesting one. I'm a manager with 20 direct reports. I hire people every year. I gurantee you that when I interview a candidate I'm looking for qualities that will ensure that person has the very best shot at success in our company. Somewhere in life that person had to learn how to function on a team - band, chess, football, or other. And part of what they must have learned is compassion; self discipline, respect for others. Successful people don't have a habbit of humiliating people simply because they can even if it improves their passing game.

As a player, coach, and fan of football I have been on both sides of lopsided wins and losses. The best positive that ever comes out of those types of games is seeing younger players from both sides get time on the field. If your point of view is ever widely adopted their will be no value in such games and likely we would see more of the unfortunate behavior cited in this thread. I'm thankful that such is unlikely.
Strikeout King Wrote:Amen!

It's not the team's fault for running up the score, it's the other team's fault because there defense isn't stopping them!
I had hoped for better from the PCC crew... LOL. Now I see why you all ran the score up on us!
Football1 Wrote:Of course they had blowouts - they were great coaches. But your point is coaches should score as much as they can on an opponent without any limitation - if that means beating a team 80-0 with your starters in the game 4 quarters; all the better, right? NONE of those coaches won in such a manner. And no decent coach would.

Your point about jobs is an interesting one. I'm a manager with 20 direct reports. I hire people every year. I gurantee you that when I interview a candidate I'm looking for qualities that will ensure that person has the very best shot at success in our company. Somewhere in life that person had to learn how to function on a team - band, chess, football, or other. And part of what they must have learned is compassion; self discipline, respect for others. Successful people don't have a habbit of humiliating people simply because they can even if it improves their passing game.

As a player, coach, and fan of football I have been on both sides of lopsided wins and losses. The best positive that ever comes out of those types of games is seeing younger players from both sides get time on the field. If your point of view is ever widely adopted their will be no value in such games and likely we would see more of the unfortunate behavior cited in this thread. I'm thankful that such is unlikely.

Ill agree that football has a small percentage in shaping someone.
However, a kids upbringing is 99% of what they become. Im sure just about everyone will agree when i say if you come from a bad tree your gonna be a bad apple. Thats not always the case but it usually is.
Running up the score and padding stats has nothing to do with life skills lol.
I dont understand where youre coming from on that point of view. It has absoloutly nothing to do with how you'll turn out. The way your putting it makes me think there is a bunch of Uncle Rico's out there who are still making tapes of there throwing arm at 40 years old.
Like it or not theres always gonna be wide margins in games. Its how we set apart the good teams from the bad. Ill never punish a team for puttin 80 points on the board or even more. My point is put up or shut up. If you cant hang, dont play teams that will stomp you and ill leave it at that.
Yes it was a blowout...And i agree with another poster..even the chain movers were shouting profanities and they were more than a few troublemakers.
Bell won the game..But Middlesboro was the overall winner.
Let me explain before you jackslap me...I am SURE they were over 3000 fans.
buying city-county Bowl tickets and Paying top dollar for food and drinks.
heartburn was free.:eyeroll:
Not to mention the T-shirts printed up just for the renewal of this rivalry.
Now the T-shirts printed up by one long time Bell County supporter and local Businesman From there...were way far to graphic and seeded in hate for anyone
to wear. Will p.m. his name to anyone interested.
Anyway..this rivalry is good for the County and the mountains overall and really nothing a little more policing could not help.
And the Parking is not even close or able to handle such a magnitude of peoples.
Having it at Bell County is a no-brainer.
If at middlsboro...eother park at krogers and hike it.
or with the Kind of MONEY they turned over Have a smallbus to shuttle peoples back in forth.
Or as i said Have it at bell county in which You will still walk a mile frombellmiddleor the side of 25 E..which is dangerous by the way.:biggrin:
strawshaker Wrote:Yes it was a blowout...And i agree with another poster..even the chain movers were shouting profanities and they were more than a few troublemakers.
Bell won the game..But Middlesboro was the overall winner.
Let me explain before you jackslap me...I am SURE they were over 3000 fans.
buying city-county Bowl tickets and Paying top dollar for food and drinks.
heartburn was free.:eyeroll:
Not to mention the T-shirts printed up just for the renewal of this rivalry.
Now the T-shirts printed up by one long time Bell County supporter and local Businesman From there...were way far to graphic and seeded in hate for anyone
to wear. Will p.m. his name to anyone interested.
Anyway..this rivalry is good for the County and the mountains overall and really nothing a little more policing could not help.
And the Parking is not even close or able to handle such a magnitude of peoples.
Having it at Bell County is a no-brainer.
If at middlsboro...eother park at krogers and hike it.
or with the Kind of MONEY they turned over Have a smallbus to shuttle peoples back in forth.
Or as i said Have it at bell county in which You will still walk a mile frombellmiddleor the side of 25 E..which is dangerous by the way.:biggrin:

The game should be at Bell Co. and the money,minus expenses,should go to the designated host team which should alternate between the three each year. Personally,I think Filthy Animals sugestion was a really good one and should be looked into. A county vs county bowl would be a bigtime event. The money generated would vastly surpass what they have now. It might even be the biggest bowl in the state. The mountains for sure.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:All of the coaches you mentioned have had some MAJOR blowouts over there careers. I dont see how that helped you define this in any way.
Cmon, gimme a break.

RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Ill agree that football has a small percentage in shaping someone.
However, a kids upbringing is 99% of what they become. Im sure just about everyone will agree when i say if you come from a bad tree your gonna be a bad apple. Thats not always the case but it usually is.
Running up the score and padding stats has nothing to do with life skills lol.
I dont understand where youre coming from on that point of view. It has absoloutly nothing to do with how you'll turn out. The way your putting it makes me think there is a bunch of Uncle Rico's out there who are still making tapes of there throwing arm at 40 years old.
Like it or not theres always gonna be wide margins in games. Its how we set apart the good teams from the bad. Ill never punish a team for puttin 80 points on the board or even more. My point is put up or shut up. If you cant hang, dont play teams that will stomp you and ill leave it at that.

Actually, I make tapes of my golf swing... which always reminds me why I played football... LOL.

I appreciate the opporunity to exchange ideas with you on this topic. As happens often in life, our debate has not ended with either of us modifying our own positions but instead it ends with us both satisfied that we defended what we believe is true. I may indeed over empahsize the value and impact that a sports program has on the character of a participant. I count running up the score up there with the "win at all cost" attitude that drives coaches to teach lineman to hold; drives young men to take steriods; and that drives bullies to overpower the weak simply because they can. All of those things stem from core character flaws. Can sports help correct such things by having coaches lead a program with a view that extends beyond the scoreboard and empahsizes character and sportsmanship? Clearly, I think so. And even if it can't I'd rather err on that side of the fence.
I have to disagree with you RIUTG. I don't think running up the score is the right thing to do nor sets the right example especially for high school kids.

That being said whining, complaining and throwing punches over it when it happens isn't right either. Teach these young kids a life lesson. When you get the crap kicked out of you and you get kicked while your down pick your tail up and work that much harder to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Have some pride and determination and go get better.