Poll: Should John Calipari be fired?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
20.83%
No
79.17%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 13(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Fire Calipari tonight
I will probably watch some good basketball this weekend. Pitino's Iona team is 26-7 and still alive in their conference tournament. I think that I would enjoy seeing a UK vs. Iona match-up this season. If UK is going to lose anyway, they might as well lose to a well-coached team with much less talent.

Calipari has made ignoring UK basketball for the next few days easy.
Cal should call a press conference and publicly apologize to every US veteran and their families for his actions in Florida that night taking a knee. Regardless of what anyone thinks this has put the pressure on him more that anyone could imagine to polish his image, losing most of the support of diehards 50 years old or older. Did it taken him 14 years to find a hard working coal miner in the stands to recognize, while rubbing elbows with those who are trying to put that miner out of a job. I worked in the coal mines 18 years and his publicity stunt using a coal miner to polish his image in Southern KY with the diehards didn't work. The curse of Coach Rupp will continue to follow him until he wins 6 national championships and Barnhart builds a new arena called Cal-Barn. 10 million dollar man setting in the stands tonight watching less talented teams compete, if you are happy with that you might be a redneck!
[-] The following 1 user Likes cherokee's post:
  • Hoot Gibson
(03-11-2023, 02:56 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: I will probably watch some good basketball this weekend. Pitino's Iona team is 26-7 and still alive in their conference tournament. I think that I would enjoy seeing a UK vs. Iona match-up this season. If UK is going to lose anyway, they might as well lose to a well-coached team with much less talent.

Cats will probably be a #6, which means Iona would have to be a #11 . I'd say they are most likely a  12-14 seed, most likely a #13 seed. Less than 1% chance of being a #11.  If UK were to somehow secure a #5  then there's an outside chance of getting Iona.  I'm like you , Hoot, I'd love to see Cal and Pitino match wits. Though the game is very unlikely to happen, it probably would be a pretty good game to watch.

(03-11-2023, 03:02 PM)cherokee Wrote: Cal should call a press conference and publicly apologize to every US veteran and their families for his actions in Florida that night taking a knee. Regardless of what anyone thinks this has put the pressure on him more that anyone could imagine to polish his image, losing most of the support of diehards 50 years old or older. Did it taken him 14 years to find a hard working coal miner in the stands to recognize, while rubbing elbows with those who are trying to put that miner out of a job. I worked in the coal mines 18 years and his publicity stunt using a coal miner to polish his image in Southern KY with the diehards didn't work.  The curse of Coach Rupp will continue to follow him until he wins 6 national championships and  Barnhart builds a new arena called Cal-Barn. 10 million dollar man setting in the stands tonight watching less talented teams compete, if you are happy with that you might be a redneck!

Time to get over it.  A very small percentage of 50+ year-olds give a damn about him  taking a knee . You are kidding yorself if you believe that nonsense.  If Cal's team went on to win the national title this year, there would be a big celebration at Rupp when the team returns home. He would be the toast of the Bluegrass . Cal would get a five minute standing ovation like he did in 2012 and you and others, inclding veterans and coal miners,  would be licking his rectum. I can feel your hypocrisy through this computer screen.

Quit smoking the kinnikinnick and join us all here in the real world.  Btw, your buddy Rupp was a racist and a Nazi, a horrible person.

Put that in your peace pipe and smoke it.
(03-11-2023, 03:11 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(03-11-2023, 02:56 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: I will probably watch some good basketball this weekend. Pitino's Iona team is 26-7 and still alive in their conference tournament. I think that I would enjoy seeing a UK vs. Iona match-up this season. If UK is going to lose anyway, they might as well lose to a well-coached team with much less talent.

Cats will probably be a #6, which means Iona would have to be a #11 . I'd say they are most likely a  12-14 seed, most likely a #13 seed. Less than 1% chance of being a #11.  If UK were to somehow secure a #5  then there's an outside chance of getting Iona.  I'm like you , Hoot, I'd love to see Cal and Pitino match wits. Though the game is very unlikely to happen, it probably would be a pretty good game to watch.
The NCAAA is all about the Benjamins. A game between UK and Iona would make perfect financial sense. If the committee can make it happen, they may find a way. UK is lucky that they will be receiving an at-large bid after the miserable performance turned in by their coach this season. The bracketologists may not see an Iona-UK match-up as likely but they often miss on their predictions. 

The match-up would increase interest in a game that would otherwise be lukewarm and it would give Kentucky a sot at a second-round game by giving Calipari a huge edge in athleticism. Those are the only type of games that the UK coach has a credible shot at winning.

(03-11-2023, 03:02 PM)cherokee Wrote: Cal should call a press conference and publicly apologize to every US veteran and their families for his actions in Florida that night taking a knee. Regardless of what anyone thinks this has put the pressure on him more that anyone could imagine to polish his image, losing most of the support of diehards 50 years old or older. Did it taken him 14 years to find a hard working coal miner in the stands to recognize, while rubbing elbows with those who are trying to put that miner out of a job. I worked in the coal mines 18 years and his publicity stunt using a coal miner to polish his image in Southern KY with the diehards didn't work.  The curse of Coach Rupp will continue to follow him until he wins 6 national championships and  Barnhart builds a new arena called Cal-Barn. 10 million dollar man setting in the stands tonight watching less talented teams compete, if you are happy with that you might be a redneck!

Time to get over it.  A very small percentage of 50+ year-olds give a damn about him  taking a knee . You are kidding yorself if you believe that nonsense.  If Cal's team went on to win the national title this year, there would be a big celebration at Rupp when the team returns home. He would be the toast of the Bluegrass . Cal would get a five minute standing ovation like he did in 2012 and you and others, inclding veterans and coal miners,  would be licking his rectum. I can feel your hypocrisy through this computer screen.

Quit smoking the kinnikinnick and join us all here in the real world.  Btw, your buddy Rupp was a racist and a Nazi, a horrible person.

Once again, you are wrong. I may no longer live in Kentucky, but I know that the majority of Kentucky's 50+ fans were bothered by UK players taking a knee in a salute to the racist BLM movement and would appreciate a well-deserved apology by Kentucky's mediocre basketball coach. Save your condemnations of racists for Democrat politicians like LBJ, Robert C. Byrd, and Joe Biden. Adolph Rupp was no more, no less of a racist than the liberal Democrats that you continue to support.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • jax
(03-11-2023, 03:45 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

The NCAAA is all about the Benjamins. A game between UK and Iona would make perfect financial sense. If the committee can make it happen, they may find a way. UK is lucky that they will be receiving an at-large bid after the miserable performance turned in by their coach this season. The bracketologists may not see an Iona-UK match-up as likely but they often miss on their predictions. 

The match-up would increase interest in a game that would otherwise be lukewarm and it would give Kentucky a sot at a second-round game by giving Calipari a huge edge in athleticism. Those are the only type of games that the UK coach has a credible shot at winning.

I think he's done a pretty good job the last half of the season, or so. They looked to be dead in the H2O after the SC and GA games but Cal brought them back to where they will likely be a 6 seed in the Dance. These players are just not all that great and lots of injuries.   Plus, they seem to have fragile psyches. Cal has done well to get this bunch to 21 wins.

(03-11-2023, 03:51 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

Once again, you are wrong. I may no longer live in Kentucky, but I know that the majority of Kentucky's 50+ fans were bothered by UK players taking a knee in a salute to the racist BLM movement and would appreciate a well-deserved apology by Kentucky's mediocre basketball coach. Save your condemnations of racists for Democrat politicians like LBJ, Robert C. Byrd, and Joe Biden. Adolph Rupp was no more, no less of a racist than the liberal Democrats that you continue to support.

Again, Cal would get the loudest standing ovation of all if he led UK to the title. No a single peron, including yourelf would be giving a single thought to a gosh damn  knee.  Watch and see. Standing ovation and probably calls fom UK fans for an extension to his current 10-year deal.
(03-11-2023, 03:58 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(03-11-2023, 03:45 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

I think he's done a pretty good job the last half of the season, or so. They looked to be dead in the H2O after the SC and GA games but Cal brought them back to where they will likely be a 6 seed in the Dance. These players are just not all that great and lots of injuries.   Plus, they seem to have fragile psyches. Cal has done well to get this bunch to 21 wins.

(03-11-2023, 03:51 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

Again, Cal would get the loudest standing ovation of all if he led UK to the title. No a single peron, including yourelf would be giving a single thought to a gosh damn  knee.  Watch and see. Standing ovation and probably calls fom UK fans for an extension to his current 10-year deal.
Those who still attend UK games in person would no doubt give a standing ovation to UK's basketball team for winning the NCAA title. It is not going to happen under this coach. What improved UK's team late in the season was the injury to Wheeler, which forced Calipari to turn to somebody else to run the offense. That was not a coaching decision, it was a fluke injury that saved the team from further embarrassment - temporarily. I wonder if you would be defending Calipari and giving him credit for decisions that he didn't make if he had not pandered to BLM supporters and encouraged UK's players to bend their knees. I suspect not.
I will leave the rectum kissing to old hound since that would probably require getting on your knees. I guess the hypocrisy lives on for those who believe that shit about coach Rupp and even Happy Chandler, Abraham Lincoln, George Washington and Jesus.
  • Hoot Gibson
(03-11-2023, 04:53 PM)cherokee Wrote: I will leave the rectum kissing to old hound since that would probably require getting on your knees. I guess the hypocrisy lives on for those who believe that shit about coach Rupp and even Happy Chandler, Abraham Lincoln, George Washington and Jesus.

Lincoln was an athiest, so I will leave him alone but the other four members of your team--- a racist coach, a racist governor, an owner of 123 slaves, and a mythical carpenter isn't gonna win you many games. I think we can all read between Cherokee's lines. lol

Let's get back to basketball, please.  How does this Kentucky team get to the Final Four?
(03-11-2023, 04:53 PM)cherokee Wrote: I will leave the rectum kissing to old hound since that would probably require getting on your knees. I guess the hypocrisy lives on for those who believe that shit about coach Rupp and even Happy Chandler, Abraham Lincoln, George Washington and Jesus.
You are absolutely right about Coach Rupp. Not only did Rupp pit his teams against talented teams that had black players featured prominently on their rosters across the nation, he also recruited black players unsuccessfully before finally persuading Tom Payne to join the program.

Rupp recruited Jim McDaniel, Wes Unseld, and Butch Beard, but convincing black high school players to accept UK scholarships and play conference games in Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia, and Florida in the 50s and 60s was an uphill battle. Kentucky began winning more recruiting battles after the Democrats' Jim Crow laws of the deep South were knocked down and schools were forced to desegregate.
(03-11-2023, 02:54 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(03-11-2023, 01:46 PM)jetpilot Wrote: So what’s everybody doing this weekend lol
Coach ‘em up Cal! Wooooooo!

Cal needs to work on making his free throws, doesn't he?  Can't believe he shoots 'em that bad. 
1. Not surprised you can’t grasp the concept of accountability.
2. I wish I could get paid $10MM/year to win games and when I don’t, people are dumb enough to blame the players I bring in.
3. I want Stackhouse. He brings in players that make their free throws. Plus I save millions on the upgrade.
Hat tip to my computer and the application that helped me compose the following.

Verse 1:
Once upon a time, we were on top,
Our victories seemed like they'd never stop,
But then we fell into a pit of futility,
And our hopes for greatness fell into mediocrity.

Chorus:
We're nostalgic for Rick Pitino,
And the days when we were kings,
When the victories came in floods,
And we knew that we could do anything.

Verse 2:
Pitino was the one who gave us hope,
His passion and drive was our team's dope,
He lifted us up to greatness,
And we never knew what losing was.

Chorus:

Bridge:
But now those days are gone,
And our team is just a shadow of what it was,
We long for those days when we were strong,
And we miss the glory that Pitino brought us.

Chorus:

Outro:
Oh, how we miss those days,
When our team was at the top,
We long for the passion and drive,
That Pitino brought us, never to stop.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • jetpilot
Happy Chandler a racist
Chandler's first year in office as baseball commissioner was marked by the decision of Brooklyn Dodgers' general manager Branch Rickey to break baseball's race barrier. Although all 15 other clubs disapproved, Chandler welcomed the idea, and in October 1945, the Dodgers signed Jackie Robinson to a 1946 contract with their Montreal farm team in the International League. In 1947, Robinson became the first black player to play Major League Baseball.
  • Hoot Gibson
(03-11-2023, 05:34 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

Lincoln was an athiest, so I will leave him alone but the other four members of your team--- a racist coach, a racist governor, an owner of 123 slaves, and a mythical carpenter isn't gonna win you many games. I think we can all read between Cherokee's lines. lol

Let's get back to basketball, please.  How does this Kentucky team get to the Final Four?
Don't need to read between Cherokee's lines.  He spoke quite clearly.
How does THIS Kentucky team get to the Final Four?  They don't.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Granny Bear's post:
  • jax
(03-11-2023, 06:38 PM)cherokee Wrote: Happy Chandler a racist
Chandler's first year in office as baseball commissioner was marked by the decision of Brooklyn Dodgers' general manager Branch Rickey to break baseball's race barrier. Although all 15 other clubs disapproved, Chandler welcomed the idea, and in October 1945, the Dodgers signed Jackie Robinson to a 1946 contract with their Montreal farm team in the International League. In 1947, Robinson became the first black player to play Major League Baseball.

In 1988, Kentucky Governor Wallace Wilkinson gave Chandler voting rights on the University of Kentucky’s board of trustees (he had previously been an honorary, non-voting member). During a trustees meeting that April, the University’s investments in Africa that April were discussed. The almost-90-year-old Chandler said, “You all know Zimbabwe is all n****r now. There aren’t any whites.” These comments spurred protests, threats of strikes by students, and calls for Wilkinson to replace Chandler on the university board.
(03-11-2023, 08:10 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(03-11-2023, 06:38 PM)cherokee Wrote: Happy Chandler a racist

In 1988, Kentucky Governor Wallace Wilkinson gave Chandler voting rights on the University of Kentucky’s board of trustees (he had previously been an honorary, non-voting member). During a trustees meeting that April, the University’s investments in Africa that April were discussed. The almost-90-year-old Chandler said, “You all know Zimbabwe is all n****r now. There aren’t any whites.” These comments spurred protests, threats of strikes by students, and calls for Wilkinson to replace Chandler on the university board.
Do you expect that a man who was a life-long Democrat who was born in Kentucky in 1898 and active in Democrat politics for most of his adult life would not have ever used a racial slur? My guess is that very few Democrat politicians who were active before the mid 1970s had never used racial slurs during their careers. Is it fair to dismiss the great accomplishments that Happy Chandler made in the area of improving race relations and providing greater opportunities for black Americans during his lifetime? Of course it isn't fair. For all any of us know, Chandler could have been suffering from dementia when he used the term at age 89, just like current president, Joe Biden is.

If always amazes me how liberals always neglect to identify party affiliation when they condemn racists of the 20th century, unless they happen to have been Republicans. Just another reminder - the KKK was founded by Democrats and Lincoln was a Republican. Happy Chandler was a Democrat but he did far more good during his life than bad, and it is unfair to judge him or any other historical figure, outside of the context of American history.
Chandler was strongly connected to segregationalist politics .The year after Robinson joined the Dodgers, Chandler embraced the Dixiecrats, a segregationist party led by Cherokee's hero, Strom Thurmond; and in 1968 Chandler was eager to be George Wallace's running mate on his third-party ticket. One doesn't need to be a history scholar to know Chandler's ties to racism.

Baseball HOF'er ,  Ralph Kiner, who was with the Pirates in 1947, and active in player-management affairs , was once asked about  what Chandler actually did in the Robinson saga :

His response, "As far as I know, not a thing."   That's Ralph Kiner's words, not mine.

"It was all Branch Rickey that got Robinson into organized baseball," said Frank Slocum, who worked in the National League office at the time. "Whatever Chandler did was forced on him."

MAGA Republicans don't know history. They lie about history !!!

As I said before, not hard to read between the lines of the poster I questioned before.  If Chandler had been allowed to own 132 slaves like Washington did, Happy would have gladly done so.

One final note for those who still aren't convinced.  According to This Great Game , Ty Cobb, often described as openly racist, disparaged blacks as “darkies” and insisted that their place in baseball was reserved as “clubhouse help.”  It is also very well known that Cobb, who hated a lot of people, absolutely loved a man by the name of Albert B. "Happy" Chandler.  Chandler was a trustee of the foundation of the racist HOF'er, Cobb. They were close associates. Like minds make great friends, I guess.

If Cal and his Cats disappoint some of you who have contributed to this thread and advance to the Final Four, will you publicly apologize to UK's Hall of Fame coach in this thread before all of BGR?

Who will make a pledge to apologize to Cal when the Cats advance to the Final Four?
Didn't Bill Clinton have an open mike faux pas one time when Hillary and Obama were campaigning? I believe it was made to Ted Kennedy and said "A few years ago, this guy would've been carrying our luggage".

AND the only thing that will make me like Cal again is if he starts coaching with UK's basketball team's best interest in mind. I don't owe him an apology.

If Cal gets beat out in the first round of the NCAA, like he did the SEC tournament, will you finally admit that he has rectally inserted his head?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Granny Bear's post:
  • cherokee
Umm, getting back to the seeding. UK a six?!?! I mean, I’m just hoping we can avoid the Dayton play-in round.
(03-11-2023, 10:48 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: Umm, getting back to the seeding. UK a six?!?! I mean, I’m just hoping we can avoid the Dayton play-in round.

Cats will be a 6 , no lower than a 7 , imo.  Probabably would have been a  5 if they had beaten Vandy and A&M.
(03-11-2023, 09:09 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Chandler was strongly connected to segregationalist politics .The year after Robinson joined the Dodgers, Chandler embraced the Dixiecrats, a segregationist party led by Cherokee's hero, Strom Thurmond; and in 1968 Chandler was eager to be George Wallace's running mate on his third-party ticket. One doesn't need to be a history scholar to know Chandler's ties to racism.

Baseball HOF'er ,  Ralph Kiner, who was with the Pirates in 1947, and active in player-management affairs , was once asked about  what Chandler actually did in the Robinson saga :

His response, "As far as I know, not a thing."   That's Ralph Kiner's words, not mine.

"It was all Branch Rickey that got Robinson into organized baseball," said Frank Slocum, who worked in the National League office at the time. "Whatever Chandler did was forced on him."

MAGA Republicans don't know history. They lie about history !!!

As I said before, not hard to read between the lines of the poster I questioned before.  If Chandler had been allowed to own 132 slaves like Washington did, Happy would have gladly done so.

One final note for those who still aren't convinced.  According to This Great Game , Ty Cobb, often described as openly racist, disparaged blacks as “darkies” and insisted that their place in baseball was reserved as “clubhouse help.”  It is also very well known that Cobb, who hated a lot of people, absolutely loved a man by the name of Albert B. "Happy" Chandler.  Chandler was a trustee of the foundation of the racist HOF'er, Cobb. They were close associates. Like minds make great friends, I guess.

If Cal and his Cats disappoint some of you who have contributed to this thread and advance to the Final Four, will you publicly apologize to UK's Hall of Fame coach in this thread before all of BGR?

Who will make a pledge to apologize to Cal when the Cats advance to the Final Four?
Your preoccupation with race and labeling historical figures as racists is nothing but a distraction. John Calipari could be the second coming of Martin Luther King but that would be irrelevant in a discussion about the poor job that Calipari has done in recent years coaching the Kentucky Wildcats.
An Old School Hound joined in debate,
But his views were a little unstraight,
He would distract and deceive,
And claim to believe,
"There's a racist behind every tree," he'd state.

His arguments were flawed and untrue,
But he never admitted what he knew,
He'd rather hide,
Behind that racist lie,
Than face the facts and change his view.
[-] The following 2 users Like Hoot Gibson's post:
  • cherokee, jetpilot
NCAA Tournament records

John Calipari: 56-20
Bill Self: 55-21
Tom Izzo: 53-23
Mark Few: 38-21
Bob Huggins: 34-25
Rick Barnes: 25-26
Kelvin Sampson: 22-17
Sean Miller: 19-11
Scott Drew: 17-9
Matt Painter: 17-14
Tony Bennett: 16-9
Bruce Pearl: 16-11
Jamie Dixon: 13-13

Fire that terrible b@st#rd  !!!!
Get ready!!! Here come the 17% !!! lol Crickets for over week but they'll head back home to this classic thread shortly.
(03-19-2023, 06:11 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Get ready!!!  Here come the 17% !!!  lol  Crickets  for over week but they'll head back home to this classic thread shortly.
You are wrong, as usual. You are confused about the statistics. The 80 percent of those of us who voted "No" in the poll above do not believe that John Calipari does not deserve to be fired. Many of us just don't believe that we should be spending other people's millions to get rid of a basketball coach and then let the same people who hired Billy Gillespie and Calipari hire a new coach.

If you reward mediocre performance, then you can expect the kind of mediocre performance that Calipari has brought to Kentucky's once great basketball program. The man who left behind two college basketball programs that vacated Final Four tournament runs does not have the character to walk away from his lifetime UK gig for the good of the program.
Since signing the lifetime contract in 2019, Calipari has gone 2-5 in the post season (SEC Tournament included), missed the NCAA Tournament in 2021 with a 9-16 record, lost to a 15 seed.
Calipari is a HOF recruiter, not a HOF coach, and HOF'ER at avoiding NCAA sanctions while the schools he left get punished.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jarons's post:
  • Hoot Gibson
I wish Cal had hit some of those open 3s.
Not much to blame Calipari for in this one I don’t think. When Reeves and Toppin go 2-for-20, what are you gonna do? What sucks is we could be in a region that only has Michigan St., Tennessee and Florida Atlantic left. What an opportunity wasted.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • Granny Bear
(03-19-2023, 08:26 PM)FootballFan1999 Wrote: I wish Cal had hit some of those open 3s.

Finally, someone gets it !!!   Reeves & Toppin were 2-22 combined.  If they had just gone 5-22,  KY wins.  Poor shooting cost UK the chance to advance.  And many of those shots were open looks .

[Image: https://bluegrasspreps.com/uploads/attac...e94a1c.jpg]
Once again Kentucky bits the dust because the 10 million dollar man is to proud to play zone or don't know how to implement it to his defense. U CONN beat us in a national championship game a few years back with a small penetrating guard ripping our defense up all night, Vanderbilt guard destroyed Kentucky in the SEC tournament penetrating something like 25 points and 10+ assists. Today a 5'8" penetrating guard took over the game, got in the lane anytime he wanted and dished to breaking teammates for layups all game long. Kentucky's point guard was 6'4" and all that length across the Kentucky backline geez why not throw a zone on them to see if it slowed them down. I think everyone watching this game knew Kentucky had nobody to guard him, yet we stayed man to man and man did he rip us a new one.
  •  Previous
  • 13(current)
  • Next