Poll: Should John Calipari be fired?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
20.83%
No
79.17%
* You voted for this item.

• 1(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Fire Calipari tonight
Don't even let this sorry excuse for a coach off the bus.
[-] The following 2 users Like RunItUpTheGut's post:
  • jax, pjdoug
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Don't even let this sorry excuse for a coach off the bus.

If you watch UK play a regular season game you can often hear Cal yelling "GO", "GO" after the UK PG gets the ball after a defensive rebound; but in all the big NCAA games UK has lost while Cal has been coach he has elected to have the PG walk the ball up and play in the half court. I just don't understand this. What's the point on playing "fast" all season long?
This one brought back unpleasant memories of the national championship game against Arizona in '97, when Nazr Mohammed went 0-for-6 from the line, and basically cost us what it turns out would have been our second of three titles in a row. Watching P.J. Washington, who played well otherwise, miss free throw after free throw, (8-for-20 I think) just made you cringe. But I thought worse than that was Quade's panicked forced three with about 10 seconds left and us down two. That was the best option we could get in that situation? Come on now.
Well, I am a little calmer after a fitful night of little sleep, so here goes.

1) I would NOT fire Cal
2) I will never watch another UK game with the volume up on my TV. Commentators were more biased against KY that the officials
3) Very inconsistent calls made by the officials

Final statement:

This team came much farther in the tournament than I thought they ever would, so congratulations to them for that.

I'm glad this tortured season is history.

Go Loyola!! Sister Jean rocks!!!
PJ Washington sucks. Period.

You go to the line 20x and make 8.....
"I don't call timeouts"

Great job, you just ruined your chance to go to another Final 4!
Na Na Na Na Hey Hey-ey Goodbye, UK.
I have said this since the 90's. Cal isn't a X's and O's coach. the games were Cal have to coach them to a win. he lose 95% of these game.
With the possible exception of the top seeded NIT team that lost to bottom seeded Robert Morris, this has been Cal's worst season of coaching since he came to Kentucky.
I hate jumping all over Calipari but some seriously questionable coaching decisions cost us tonight. There’s no reason with basically an all freshmen team to not call a timeout before the Quade 3 attempt. We also played totally in to KStates game plan. You could see Calipari telling Shai Gilgeous-Alexander to slow the ball down any time there was a chance to break. Unbelievable that a Bruce Weber led team had a better game plan then us.
I bet Calipari does a Marcus Lee on Washington and tells him, "Thanks for all you have done here, but you would be better off somewhere else to finish your career", just so he doesn't, and we don't, have to see him constantly miss from the line. That, or make him live there throughout the ENTIRE off-season until the very first game next season. One or the other has to be done.
Laughable
There’s obviously no excuse for a player to miss 12 free throws in a game. If PJ even makes over half of his free throws we win the game. I really hate it for the kid because he did everything else right. If it wasn’t for him we wouldn’t have been in the game at all. Had 18 points, 15 rebounds, 3 steals, and a block plus fouled out 3 of their players. I really hope he comes back next year with improved free throw shooting he could be a force.
Barnhead don't have the nuts to fire cal.

Cal needs to get rid of barbee and beg antigua to come back. We haven't had the players we need since he left.
Hopefully barbee leaves for memphis
Mister D Wrote:There’s obviously no excuse for a player to miss 12 free throws in a game. If PJ even makes over half of his free throws we win the game. I really hate it for the kid because he did everything else right. If it wasn’t for him we wouldn’t have been in the game at all. Had 18 points, 15 rebounds, 3 steals, and a block plus fouled out 3 of their players. I really hope he comes back next year with improved free throw shooting he could be a force.

That last 3 or 4 minutes of the game tells you all you need to know about cals coaching abilities
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:That last 3 or 4 minutes of the game tells you all you need to know about cals coaching abilities
The entire season tells you all you need to know about Cal's coaching abilities. He is a coach who needs to land recruits who have been very well coached in high school. He is a salesman and a manager but he is not a coach who is going to teach players core fundamentals.

Starting what should be a project player like Nick Richards for the entire season is inexcusable. For Richards' sake, I hope that somebody who cares about him hooks him up with a school and coach willing and able to teach him the game of basketball. Calipari is not that guy.

The same goes for Diallo. It is easy to see how Diallo dominated at the high school level with his size, wingspan, and raw athleticism - but he was not much better at the end of a full season than when he first stepped foot on UK's campus. At no point during the season was Diallo a skilled enough basketball player to start for UK. The same was true of Qade Greene.

This was the team that Calipari recruited and it is a team that had the potential to make a deep run in the tournament. That potential was not developed as it should have been and IMO, UK never put its best starting lineup on the floor during the entire season.
HootGibson, you are 100% absolutely correct!!!!!!! 1000%!!!!!
Strikeout King Wrote:PJ Washington sucks. Period.

You go to the line 20x and make 8.....

18 Points 15 Rebounds sucks?? Better to say....he needs work on the free throws for sure, but without Washington, Ky is not in this game. Washington, as long as he returns next season and I see no reason he shouldn't, will be a beast. This team was desperate for a consistent knock down shooter. Baker may have been that guy but unfortunately he was injured. With the majority of this team returning and add in the incoming recruits, Cats will be loaded next season and will resemble more of the stronger Ky teams that Cal's had. Tyler Herro , Keldon Johnson along with Washington will be super stars. If Cal can convince E J Montgomery to come aboard, then it will be a showdown to begin the season with Duke and the final game next April with Duke.......Mark it down!!
Why did Cal set up a play for Gabriel to take a three at the end instead of Knox?
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Spud6 Wrote:Why did Cal set up a play for Gabriel to take a three at the end instead of Knox?
with Washington struggling at the line why did he not post up Knox who had a 6' 2" guy guarding him most of the night? No adjustments whole night
doubledown Wrote:with Washington struggling at the line why did he not post up Knox who had a 6' 2" guy guarding him most of the night? No adjustments whole night

Cal never makes adjustments so I wasn’t surprised by this. He dances with what brings him to places and that is recruiting great players and letting them just play one on one besides a couple ball screens for Knox on the blocks.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
this is the dumbest and stupidest thread ever
some of the posts on here represent a few and small % of the miserable uk fans that nothing makes them happy no matter what; when things go wrong well we just quit on the team and coach; did this team frustrate most on here yes it did me as well but did i give up nope no matter what happens did we blew a golden chance at a final four yes but again giving up and quitting is just dumb and if you want to be miserable well i guess i cant help you there lol
John Calipari's job at UK is very safe. He has a ridiculous $30 million buyout clause in his contract. Because of poor negotiating skills, UK could not afford to fire him - no matter how poorly he performs his job. On a "per win" basis, Coach Cal was the most highly paid coach in college basketball this season. Jay Wright won far more games and cost his school less than one-third of what Calipari cost Kentucky - and #1 seed Villanova is still standing, despite having a far tougher path to the Elite Eight.
rrp Wrote:this is the dumbest and stupidest thread ever

Please do tell why
rrp Wrote:some of the posts on here represent a few and small % of the miserable uk fans that nothing makes them happy no matter what; when things go wrong well we just quit on the team and coach; did this team frustrate most on here yes it did me as well but did i give up nope no matter what happens did we blew a golden chance at a final four yes but again giving up and quitting is just dumb and if you want to be miserable well i guess i cant help you there lol

Absolutely wrong.
You ksr lovers talk like this, when in reality you are by far the minority when you look at the entire fan base. There are a lot more people that think like us then think like you.
Hilarious
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Absolutely wrong.
You ksr lovers talk like this, when in reality you are by far the minority when you look at the entire fan base. There are a lot more people that think like us then think like you.
Poll it and let's see.
Great idea!!

Poll added!!
I really want to see the results of this poll, let's see how BGR users feel about Coach Calipari. Me, i'm on the 'Do not fire Cal' side myself. I don't see where we find anyone better currently, and next years time should be very good unless we have a massive NBA exodus.
Duke and Coach K have the best talent in the country...They finish 3rd in the ACC, don’t make the ACC tourney championship game and lose in the elite 8. But Cal is the one who can’t cosch Xs and Os?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • 1(current)
  • Next