Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Letcher Central Names Assistants
OrangenowBlue Wrote:I wear UK basketball shirts all the time. I need to call Calipari and see where my paycheck for coaching is at.

:thatsfunn:lmao: That is funny! Good one.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
I can now say with truthful saying that I just got done talking to Jerry Bentley and he has been indeed hired the last assistant coaching position. He wanted me to post it, so I am posting it. Congrats Coach Bentley.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Definitely two great hires in Johnson and Bentley. Will bring a wealth of knowledge to the program! Much better than they have had in the past.
I think they will get these kids ready. I know it is a rebuilding year, but I think they will be fine.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

mountain hoops guru Wrote:Definitely two great hires in Johnson and Bentley. Will bring a wealth of knowledge to the program! Much better than they have had in the past.

and a pile of loses!!!
What have they ever proved. LCC should be very competitive. They are loaded with young talent. If these guys can coach at all they should be one of the favorites by seasons end!
You have to admit they haven't had a lot of great talent over their. A few players but not all at once. They have the knowledge of the game but couldn't make the baskets or play defense for them. LCC will have many to chose from with all the numbers they have, will be a different story their, and I agree with you, they should be at the top of the region come seasons end and definitely by next year with all their young talent.
mountain hoops guru Wrote:You have to admit they haven't had a lot of great talent over their. A few players but not all at once. They have the knowledge of the game but couldn't make the baskets or play defense for them. LCC will have many to chose from with all the numbers they have, will be a different story their, and I agree with you, they should be at the top of the region come seasons end and definitely by next year with all their young talent.
I agree with you. At Jenkins they really didn't have a lot of numbers to choose from but was still successful. Now in a bigger school they have a whole lot to work with.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

mountain hoops guru Wrote:Definitely two great hires in Johnson and Bentley. Will bring a wealth of knowledge to the program! Much better than they have had in the past.

Much better than they have ad in the past? You have to be kidding me. Look at the experience their staff had last year:
Justice 3 regional titles
King -Played on I believe 2 regional title teams and assistant on I believe 2 more
Trent-All A State champion as player, Final 4 I believe at ALC. Assitant for multiple Regional title teams at Whitesburg and PCC
Banks-Assitant on regional title team with Whitesburg.
LCC may have had the most experienced and knowledgable staff in the mountains. They won back to back District titles in probably the most competitive district in the mountains. I wish LCC well, but we'll have to see how much knowledge this staff imparts.
And to add the two assistants who has seen a lot of games. I think either one will work with these kids.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Doctor J Wrote:Much better than they have ad in the past? You have to be kidding me. Look at the experience their staff had last year:
King -Played on I believe 2 regional title teams and assistant on I believe 2 more
Trent-All A State champion as player, Final 4 I believe at ALC. Assitant for multiple Regional title teams at Whitesburg and PCC
LCC may have had the most experienced and knowledgable staff in the mountains. They won back to back District titles in probably the most competitive district in the mountains. I wish LCC well, but we'll have to see how much knowledge this staff imparts.

I would have to agree, they were loaded with knowledge of the game that's for sure, I like yourself am skeptical about the new staff, I hope they do well , but this coach has been to one sweet 16, and I dont think the new assistants have been much further than the first round of the region as coaches or players !!! This team has a lot of young talent on it so they will be expected to do well, so these coaches better be ready for the hot seat if they dont !!!!
Give them time. We are going to be young.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

This year will be a rebuilding year as LCC was hit hard by graduation. I wouldn't pass any judgement this season. Remember, it took Raymond Justice his third year just to get to the district tournament and he had a lot more talent to start out with then Coach Hammonds has. Patience is important. You can't hold a grudge against a new coach over what happened to the previous coach. He wasn't around at the time as he was home in Jessamine County enjoying his semifinal finish in the Sweet Sixteen.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:This year will be a rebuilding year as LCC was hit hard by graduation. I wouldn't pass any judgement this season. Remember, it took Raymond Justice his third year just to get to the district tournament and he had a lot more talent to start out with then Coach Hammonds has. Patience is important. You can't hold a grudge against a new coach over what happened to the previous coach. He wasn't around at the time as he was home in Jessamine County enjoying his semifinal finish in the Sweet Sixteen.

I dont think anyone will hold a grudge against coach Hammonds, I know it will take some time but by the end of the season they should be pretty good !! I dont know what talent Justice had when he came in, but I do know what they got now, and if you look at their sophomores, thats where the bulk of their talent is, so they have a little time to get it together....but you know and I know that the honeymoon wont last long, if there arent wins !!!!! GOOD LUCK COUGARS !!!
I believe Coach Hammonds will get a free pass this year but next year the expectations will be higher.
Finding a point guard will be the biggest hurdle this year
Doctor J Wrote:Much better than they have ad in the past? You have to be kidding me. Look at the experience their staff had last year:

If they were so good at coaching, why are not any of them still in coaching? None of them could get a coaching job anywhere else besides LCC so they are out of coaching.
If I am not mistake both coaches made the decision to step during there coaching careers.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Quarterback7 Wrote:If they were so good at coaching, why are not any of them still in coaching? None of them could get a coaching job anywhere else besides LCC so they are out of coaching.
Banks is enjoying his son, Charlie at EKU, and had planned not to coach after last year.
Trent is doing an AD job that requires time away from coaching.
King is busy running a coal operation.

I look for King and Trent to be back coaching when the right opportunity arises.
My son received many basketball fundamentals from the three in question, and became a better player because of their tuteluge.
Windsprint Wrote:Finding a point guard will be the biggest hurdle this year
Agree, point guard by committee.
That foreign exchange student who will like to play basketball, will he play for the team this year? I know he is suiting up for football.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

I have nothing but respect for Coach Johnson and Coach Bentley. These to will only help LCC improve and reach their goals. IMO everyone who has questioned this hire will quickly see why these two were selected. Great hire and best of luck this season!
UKisN1 Wrote:Agree, point guard by committee.

Finding a point guard is the biggest task right now that Coach Hammonds has ahead of him.
What kind of freshman class do we have coming in?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

I believe Coach Bentley played on some pretty good Dorton teams back in the day and also played some college ball at ALC, not to mention a number of years where he coached girls and boys in the all "A" state tournament.

If you look at the team that Coach Johnson played on in high school they won the all "A" and played in the state tournament, he then attended college and if you look in the record books I believe he is in the Hall of Fame for Pikeville with over 2,000 points scored so I don't think we can question these two individuals knowledge of the game.

Let's give them time and see how things work out.
What can we expect as far as talent? I know Logan Johnson is coming out, but who else can we see as starters that is coming out on the team. Three weeks away, and then practice starts.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

This thread needs to be closed.
Yes I guess it does. We need to start on just on the team. Sorry about getting off topic.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!