Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The New Phelps
kyfan Wrote:Are you really that naive? These girls were brought to Phelps. This has been in the making for quite some time. If Phelps is were they wanted to be, they would have moved to Phelps. And yes, it is expected that they will play. Coach Vanhoose has his hands full and although he don't need it, he has my sympathy.

Wow like we have never seen that occur at any other school in the county! Amazing how tight the shoe fits when it is on the other foot! I'm sure your sympathy goes out to Coach Hicks at Scott County as well.
Another Asssist Wrote:Wow like we have never seen that occur at any other school in the county! Amazing how tight the shoe fits when it is on the other foot! I'm sure your sympathy goes out to Coach Hicks at Scott County as well.

I think you misunderstood my sympathy. My sympathy isn't because of the talent pool. My sympathy is because he is a 2nd year coach without teaching tenure. Everybody wants to say he won't play those girls if they are trouble. Give me a break. Not playing those girls is NOT an option! I just hope they behave for him because not playing them could be very detrimental for him.
I will say this Coach Vanhoose will be fine he is a good coach.
kyfan Wrote:I think you misunderstood my sympathy. My sympathy isn't because of the talent pool. My sympathy is because he is a 2nd year coach without teaching tenure. Everybody wants to say he won't play those girls if they are trouble. Give me a break. Not playing those girls is NOT an option! I just hope they behave for him because not playing them could be very detrimental for him.

Let's get two things clear:
1. Not playing these girls is an option and 2. It won't be detrimental to me.

I guess if someone wants to get rid of me they will, I will have to move on. I am not going to give up my principals. If one of my players gets out of hand or cause problems then they will sit. But I will tell you this, I have spoken to the "new" girls many times since they have been here and they are very respectful, pleasant, nice, and are looking forward to playing here. I have already given them the rules for being and playing here. They understand what they need to do to help us be successful and they will do that.
big_shot_08 Wrote:Do you really think these girls are going to set on the bench........COME ON! They where brought to Phelps to START.... You can say this is the coachs team all you want everyone knows better.

No, I do not think they will sit the bench at all *IF* they do what Vanhoose ask. There is no way these girls should sit the bench to anyone on this team, these girls are good, they are amazing their chemistry together is what every coach would want whenever they have the right attitudes. All these girls are going to play well together and they will have great talent next year. So to answer your question no I do not think they will sit the bench because they don't deserve to be there.

Great post Coach, I'm glad to see that you and the "new" girls have cleared things up and are ready to go!
I also think it is pretty pathetic that jealous haters can't stop degrading these two girls, when in reality they have probably never done a thing to you. Yes, everyone knows they have had attitude problems but the people they had attitudes with didn't demand respect they didn't make a relationship with them at all and it showed. These two girls are fun to be around and they are really nice, SURPRISE! Back off of them, let them play they game they love, be on their side I mean heck they are KIDS wish them the best I'm sure they got enough dissing,jealousy and degrading to do them a lifetime.
The degrading comments and disrespecting Coach VanHoose is to end now or this one is closed! It can be discussed in an adult manner and should be from this point on.

BTW....Another excellent post Coach!!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
There have been much worse said in other threads without the threat of closing. There is a difference in people disagreeing and being degrading and disrespectful. Again, I wish Coach Vanhoose and his team the best. He would do just fine without the new players. My disrespect was geared to those who think he needs them to be successful by getting them at Phelps.

Evidently, people who know these girls think they have been discipline problems in the past. History tends to repeat itself. I also think that kids will do what you let them do. He may be just fine this year. It could also be the longest year of his life. There is no disrespect intended when the comment is made that people are expecting these girls to play and there may be repercussions if they don't. Just my opinion. It may not be right, but it also may not be wrong. No one should think they are untouchable in Pike County. All it takes is a changing of the guard.

Just out of curiosity, have these girls been ruled eligible?
Just because someone disgree with you does not mean we disrespect the coach at Phelps. If you don't want to read a post don't start a thread.... when someone posts something about Phelps you don't like you threat to close the thread everyone has there opinion.
Guys, I would like to say that I didn't feel any disrespect from anyone. I know comments on here are people's opinions and that is fine with me. I just like to post to comments that I believe need to be responded to and given another side of the argument.

Getting disagreed with is a part of my job. Like I was told before I got into coaching, "You don't make friends as a coach." But I do take offense at saying my job would be in jeopardy if I don't play certain individuals. If people base a job on that then maybe I need to be somehwere else anyway. Does it frighten me to think I would lose my job? No! I have a great education and I have plenty of contacts. If things don't work out for me I can call one of my former contacts in Europe and maybe play basketball over there for a while to earn some cash. At least I would get to travel and make some good money. I may be getting old, but not old enough to play for a few more years!!

Do I feel safe in my job now? Yes! Do I think someone would let me go for not playing someone? No, I certainly do not. I am going to do what is right, if people don't agree that is o.k. with me. I have plenty of friends anyway!! All I am trying to say is don't judge these girls too harshly. They are kids, kids make mistakes and deserve another chance. Will I have problems, who knows, I hope not, but I may. Do I dread the season, no. This is what I do, basketball, it is what I know. Remember the game is very simple - "put the orange thing in the round thing" the rest will take care of itself!!
big_shot_08 Wrote:Just because someone disgree with you does not mean we disrespect the coach at Phelps. If you don't want to read a post don't start a thread.... when someone posts something about Phelps you don't like you threat to close the thread everyone has there opinion.

First, I did not say that you disagreed with me personally. After re-reading my post I'm POSITIVE that is NOT what I was saying. The comments concerning Coach VanHoose tenure and his job stability has NOTHING to do with this thread. The thread is concerning the KIDS (entire team) who will be playing the sport in question along with some of their eligibility. The coach has a job and he will do it. No need to question his ethics until he proves the "community" wrong. YES, opinions are very much stated on this site and to be honest are appreciated! USE them in the right way and there will be no problems. Maybe re-reading the rules would help a few on here understand why WE MODERATORS are always editing, closing, and deleting posts and threads. Sorry if you don't agree with me doing what I am supposed to be doing on here. AND..... for your information.... I did not start this thread and my job is to read as many as I possibly can. I would do the same exact thing for Belfry, Shelby Valley, East Ridge, Pike Central or any other school in the same situtation. NO favoritism is being shown towards Phelps. Keep it on topic and there will be NO problems what so ever and it will remain open!!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:Guys, I would like to say that I didn't feel any disrespect from anyone. I know comments on here are people's opinions and that is fine with me. I just like to post to comments that I believe need to be responded to and given another side of the argument.

Getting disagreed with is a part of my job. Like I was told before I got into coaching, "You don't make friends as a coach." But I do take offense at saying my job would be in jeopardy if I don't play certain individuals. If people base a job on that then maybe I need to be somehwere else anyway. Does it frighten me to think I would lose my job? No! I have a great education and I have plenty of contacts. If things don't work out for me I can call one of my former contacts in Europe and maybe play basketball over there for a while to earn some cash. At least I would get to travel and make some good money. I may be getting old, but not old enough to play for a few more years!!

Do I feel safe in my job now? Yes! Do I think someone would let me go for not playing someone? No, I certainly do not. I am going to do what is right, if people don't agree that is o.k. with me. I have plenty of friends anyway!! All I am trying to say is don't judge these girls too harshly. They are kids, kids make mistakes and deserve another chance. Will I have problems, who knows, I hope not, but I may. Do I dread the season, no. This is what I do, basketball, it is what I know. Remember the game is very simple - "put the orange thing in the round thing" the rest will take care of itself!!

i agree coach your not going anywhere and these girls love phelps and i feel as thou this is there 2nd chance and they will get it right this time this will be a winning team wit ha chance to get a bid at state.. possibly one of the best teams phelps has had in a long time.... o yea orange thing in round thing is gonna happen alot this year... :notworthy
PHS #1, you are exactly right about the orange thing in the round thing because these girls can shoot the lights out of it, when one isn't hitting the other is usually, they are going to have a strong five, and I've heard these girls are getting along great and just like Coach said they can't wait until the season starts!
Knowing who the two players that transfered from Belfry to Phelps are, all I have to say is "good luck" to Phelps. You'll need it with those two. For all their talent, and yes they have talent, they have no discipline. Throw their attitudes with a group that may, and probably should, feel tossed aside by a new coach and new players and I think you'll have a rough season.
Still, maybe I'm wrong and the Phelps team will blend and be fantastic. It'll be nice to watch some exciting district games again.
Everyone needs to stay off Coach VanHoose and the girls cases. I can't believe that people would get on here and belittle teenage girls just because they transfer from one school to another. Coach VanHoose will fine with his team and I am sure if there are problems then he will handle it. Remember he played under and coached under a man that would not take crap from anyone and I am sure those lessons were stored away and will be used. Don't slander high school students, unless you want to give your name so they can respond.
OutsideLogic Wrote:Everyone needs to stay off Coach VanHoose and the girls cases. I can't believe that people would get on here and belittle teenage girls just because they transfer from one school to another. Coach VanHoose will fine with his team and I am sure if there are problems then he will handle it. Remember he played under and coached under a man that would not take crap from anyone and I am sure those lessons were stored away and will be used. Don't slander high school students, unless you want to give your name so they can respond.
What BMR take no crap, I thought he was calm, J/K.
ButI don't think its so much of a problem with people from Belfry dissing them because they transfered, because they did the same thing last yer. I know most ppl from Belfry really respects Phelps and would rather see them win than anybody outside of Belfry. But ppl from Belfry are like ppl from anywere in the area and are plain spoken and if its the truth they will tell it to you.
As for Phelps this year, they could be really good or they could go bad. Anytime somebody transfers (good attitude or bad) you never know how they will mesh until the actual season starts. I have seen some go wonderfully fro kids and teams and some that haven't.
But a player I like on the Phelps team is the RIley girl, she is a flat out work horse on the court. J.R. since we sent you a couple players, cant you send us her in return man J/k and good luck. (just finish runner-up, PS and not runner up to Pike Central haha)
Belfry Wins Wrote:What BMR take no crap, I thought he was calm, J/K.
ButI don't think its so much of a problem with people from Belfry dissing them because they transfered, because they did the same thing last yer. I know most ppl from Belfry really respects Phelps and would rather see them win than anybody outside of Belfry. But ppl from Belfry are like ppl from anywere in the area and are plain spoken and if its the truth they will tell it to you.
As for Phelps this year, they could be really good or they could go bad. Anytime somebody transfers (good attitude or bad) you never know how they will mesh until the actual season starts. I have seen some go wonderfully fro kids and teams and some that haven't.
But a player I like on the Phelps team is the RIley girl, she is a flat out work horse on the court. J.R. since we sent you a couple players, cant you send us her in return man J/k and good luck. (just finish runner-up, PS and not runner up to Pike Central haha)

You are right but it is sad how they can still belittle these girls because of jealousy. Yes attitudes may have been a problem but every teenager has one at some point so I see it as being more jealous than anything. As far as summer looked they seemed to mesh pretty good to only practice in the gym 1-2 times together. Don't knock these girls or this team, with Vanhoose as the coach and the talent they have it could be one heck of a season at Phelps.
They definately have a great coach and a team of talented players.... Good Luck Phelps.