The New Phelps
how will they contend next year

They Have

Four players coming back

two new players from Belfry

maybe one from Pike Central

and a great caoch
they will contend for region next year
I agree that they have a great coach, but it he gets all these players from other schools, that should make coaching JUST a little easier.
Here is some questions -

What happens if you have 3 starters not from Phelps, to the attitude of the girls from Phelps?

What happens if a girl from Phelps is not the best player/leading scorer?

What happens if they are not ruled eligible at the start of the season, then are ruled eligible?

Speaking from experience in dealing with consolidation and transfers it is never easy.
why is all of these girls wanting to go to phelps this coming year. COME ON .......something is going on over there. The Phelps girls is the ones who is going to be done wrong the ones who have played all the time at Phelps. SOME PEOPLE WILL DO ANYTHING TO WIN THATS NOT GOOD FOR YOUR TEAM
Those girls want to go to Phelps because they know they will run the show. It's easy being a coach when you have a team handed to you. The girls from Belfry transferring have zero discipline and it will be the same thing that happened to Belfry this year only at Phelps. One big fight amongst themselves. Unless the coach can turn those girls completely around regional contenders is outta the question. Do they have the talent of course so did Belfry this year, but with bad attitudes and bickering you can never win.
UKfan835 Wrote:Those girls want to go to Phelps because they know they will run the show. It's easy being a coach when you have a team handed to you. The girls from Belfry transferring have zero discipline and it will be the same thing that happened to Belfry this year only at Phelps. One big fight amongst themselves. Unless the coach can turn those girls completely around regional contenders is outta the question. Do they have the talent of course so did Belfry this year, but with bad attitudes and bickering you can never win.
I agree great post!
UKfan835 Wrote:Those girls want to go to Phelps because they know they will run the show. It's easy being a coach when you have a team handed to you. The girls from Belfry transferring have zero discipline and it will be the same thing that happened to Belfry this year only at Phelps. One big fight amongst themselves. Unless the coach can turn those girls completely around regional contenders is outta the question. Do they have the talent of course so did Belfry this year, but with bad attitudes and bickering you can never win.

I will guarantee you 100% they WILL NOT run any show at Phelps!! LOL.... They have a coach who WILL run it for them! PERIOD!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
Sounds like some disgruntled fans from other teams not to happy with the success of the smaller school - Phelps!
Another Asssist Wrote:Sounds like some disgruntled fans from other teams not to happy with the success of the smaller school - Phelps!

What success? lol They haven't made it out of the district in the last 2 years. I'm jealous. :lmao:

They should get to the region this year, but imo, not enough balls to go around the court for this "new team".
who would be coming from pike central?
There will be no problems on our team next season, because I will not let there be any. Our kids have "blended" fine together and we are all on the same page going into the summer. If we do have a problem I will deal with it and move on. If someone doesn't like it, I hope the door doesn't hit them hard on their way out. I will not sacrifice character for wins. If someone can't control their emotions they can come over and set with me. I will not keep someone in who acts like an "idiot" just to win a game. I would rather lose and keep my team principals, than win.

All of my girls know that not one of them is bigger than the team. If someone begins to feel that way, then we need to part company and they need to go somewhere else. However, after talking with all of our returning girls, I know they understand what I expect of each of them in order to be successful next season. They are all excited and ready for summer ball to start and see what we can do to improve for the season!!
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:There will be no problems on our team next season, because I will not let there be any. Our kids have "blended" fine together and we are all on the same page going into the summer. If we do have a problem I will deal with it and move on. If someone doesn't like it, I hope the door doesn't hit them hard on their way out. I will not sacrifice character for wins. If someone can't control their emotions they can come over and set with me. I will not keep someone in who acts like an "idiot" just to win a game. I would rather lose and keep my team principals, than win.

All of my girls know that not one of them is bigger than the team. If someone begins to feel that way, then we need to part company and they need to go somewhere else. However, after talking with all of our returning girls, I know they understand what I expect of each of them in order to be successful next season. They are all excited and ready for summer ball to start and see what we can do to improve for the season!!

EXCELLENT post coach!!!!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:There will be no problems on our team next season, because I will not let there be any. Our kids have "blended" fine together and we are all on the same page going into the summer. If we do have a problem I will deal with it and move on. If someone doesn't like it, I hope the door doesn't hit them hard on their way out. I will not sacrifice character for wins. If someone can't control their emotions they can come over and set with me. I will not keep someone in who acts like an "idiot" just to win a game. I would rather lose and keep my team principals, than win.

Enough said! Well said ! to bad not more coaches take this approach these days
Well thats good to hear.....I do hope Phelps goes far they always seem to get the shaft in a lot of things because of there size. I hope coach Vanhoose will be allowed to do as he says, those girls do need some discipline, I just know that sometimes what you want to do you don't always get to because of well politics lol believe me I know. As a coach you always want to do whats right, but you always have someone higher telling you otherwise. One other thing how is Mirissa Pruitt even eligiable, she didn't make a move shes always lived in Matewan? Good luck to Phelps if you can change the attitudes of those girls then you will be a great team next year......
Maybe someone from Belfry could tell Phelps the secret to getting the W Va players elgible as they seem to have perfected it over the years.
Another Asssist Wrote:Maybe someone from Belfry could tell Phelps the secret to getting the W Va players elgible as they seem to have perfected it over the years.

Tuition !!!!!!!!
Just wait and we all will find out
throw deep Wrote:Tuition !!!!!!!!

Come on now, do you really expect people to believe that all those w.va. players have paid tuition? Just who are you kidding? The big schools in this county have recruited for years and have gotten by with it. Pikeville, Shelby Valley, Pike Central, and Belfry. They have all done it. All the while, the small schools have had to put up with it. Now that Phelps has some transfers, just keep your mouth shut like all the small schools have all these years. That's part of life in sports, and if you say that those big schools haven't done it, then you are a liar or have been in a cave for a long time.
Shady Grady Wrote:Come on now, do you really expect people to believe that all those w.va. players have paid tuition? Just who are you kidding? The big schools in this county have recruited for years and have gotten by with it. Pikeville, Shelby Valley, Pike Central, and Belfry. They have all done it. All the while, the small schools have had to put up with it. Now that Phelps has some transfers, just keep your mouth shut like all the small schools have all these years. That's part of life in sports, and if you say that those big schools haven't done it, then you are a liar or have been in a cave for a long time.

Sounds like someone is a little jealous.............

Belfry has been investigated by the KHSAA by the request of other Pike County schools more than once as well as the Lexington-Herald once or twice and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING has been found.......deal with it.
NEXT Wrote:Sounds like someone is a little jealous.............

Belfry has been investigated by the KHSAA by the request of other Pike County schools more than once as well as the Lexington-Herald once or twice and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING has been found.......deal with it.

Wasn't Paul Dotson on the Board of Controls during those investigations?
big_shot_08 Wrote:why is all of these girls wanting to go to phelps this coming year. COME ON .......something is going on over there. The Phelps girls is the ones who is going to be done wrong the ones who have played all the time at Phelps. SOME PEOPLE WILL DO ANYTHING TO WIN THATS NOT GOOD FOR YOUR TEAM

Coach Vanhoose can't help who transfers into the school. Some people will do anything to win but not him. I am curious about how this all plays out. The people who are bringing these girls in are expecting them to play. Period. I just hope that Coach Vanhoose isn't so naive to think that wrong coaching moves won't cost a teaching position. Coaching isn't worth it. A $5,000 coaching job can cost you a $40,000 teaching job. He is tall but he isn't bigger than Pike County politics.

I wish them the best. Phelps girls have numbers problems right now because of the transfers from Shelby Valley and Pike Central a few years ago. Girls who have come up through the system lose playing time. They quit and it's a domino effect. You'll see the effect in a couple of years from all of these transfers. Good luck.
I for one am not accusing him of recruiting or anything like that. But one thing I am worried abour for Phelps is meshing the talent and attitudes. That will be a tough task. But I do wish all of Phelps the best of luck.
NEXT Wrote:Sounds like someone is a little jealous.............

Just after the articles came out in the Lexington H-L some years back I personaly heard a Belfry head coach name players at that time that were living in W Va. I do not recall what he said about tuition, or if he even said anything about it at all. I also heard one of these same players say they lived in W Va the whole time & this player did not mention anything about tuition nor did I think to ask.
kyfan Wrote:Coach Vanhoose can't help who transfers into the school. Some people will do anything to win but not him. I am curious about how this all plays out. The people who are bringing these girls in are expecting them to play. Period. I just hope that Coach Vanhoose isn't so naive to think that wrong coaching moves won't cost a teaching position. Coaching isn't worth it. A $5,000 coaching job can cost you a $40,000 teaching job. He is tall but he isn't bigger than Pike County politics.

I wish them the best. Phelps girls have numbers problems right now because of the transfers from Shelby Valley and Pike Central a few years ago. Girls who have come up through the system lose playing time. They quit and it's a domino effect. You'll see the effect in a couple of years from all of these transfers. Good luck.

I agree kyfan.....people do bring these girls in and unless you have been in Pike County for awhile you don't realize one wrong move and your gone...If coaches could do what they want and actually be able to coach right, teams would improve a lot more but o well thats the system we have to deal with
Another Asssist Wrote:Just after the articles came out in the Lexington H-L some years back I personaly heard a Belfry head coach name players at that time that were living in W Va. I do not recall what he said about tuition, or if he even said anything about it at all. I also heard one of these same players say they lived in W Va the whole time & this player did not mention anything about tuition nor did I think to ask.

If their permanent address is in WVa. they pay/paid tuition.

I personally saw a person from the KHSAA take a Belfry roster and look at names of kids that lived in WVa. and those accused of living there and check.

Start a thread on Belfry, this one is about Phelps....................
That's funny that all of you all think that Vanhoose HAS to play these girls because he doesn't. It is also funny thing that people are still talking about how they were BROUGHT in and he has no choice but to accept them and he has no choice but to play them which is NOT true. These girls were leaving Belfry no matter what. Phelps is where they chose not because they were brought in but because they want a good COACH, and Belfry just doesn't have it anymore
uksports99 Wrote:That's funny that all of you all think that Vanhoose HAS to play these girls because he doesn't. It is also funny thing that people are still talking about how they were BROUGHT in and he has no choice but to accept them and he has no choice but to play them which is NOT true. These girls were leaving Belfry no matter what. Phelps is where they chose not because they were brought in but because they want a good COACH, and Belfry just doesn't have it anymore

Are you really that naive? These girls were brought to Phelps. This has been in the making for quite some time. If Phelps is were they wanted to be, they would have moved to Phelps. And yes, it is expected that they will play. Coach Vanhoose has his hands full and although he don't need it, he has my sympathy.
kyfan, don't you read Vanhoose's post?? He does NOT need your sympathy. He does NOT have to play anyone. Phelps Lady Hornets is HIS team. Leave it at that.

I wish you woud run into Pruitt or Whitt one day and you would get a slap in the face whenever you ask they why they left Belfry and they look at you and say "Because we hated it!" That is exactly why they left.
Do you really think these girls are going to set on the bench........COME ON! They where brought to Phelps to START.... You can say this is the coachs team all you want everyone knows better.