Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kentucky Basketball: How Much Does it Really Matter?
I don’t see anything wrong with it mattering to folks. I think we only bring this up when it’s not going as well as we would like. You’ve got to have something that turns your crank, otherwise what’s the point in life? For me, other than my loved ones obviously, it’s always been sports, music and travelling. As I’ve gotten older, as my days left start dwindling a little, travel has probably passed sports for me. But regardless of what it is, we all need something to care about. So I don’t begrudge anybody that really gets caught up in UK basketball even if it’s not all that important in the overall big picture.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • jetpilot
(02-21-2024, 01:34 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: I enjoy watching and rooting on UK basketball but , as I've said before, it's not very important. I can think of a thousand things that are far more important. I watch a young  guy like Jack Pilgrim, whose joys and sorrows in life seem to be so tied to KY basketball and I think, Jack, oh boy, one day I hope you realize that it's just a damn game. Let it go, son. When Corbin lost to Boyle, I was disappointed(because we were the better team... lol) but I slept like a baby that night. Same when UK lost to, who was it, St. Peters? I slept fine.  When I was around Jack's age, I cried when the Bengals lost the Superbowl game.  Sports is fun. It's a nice diversion from all of life's worries but it's not really that important when you think about it.

That's a lot of words just to try to tell us we shouldn't mind losing. If UK basketball isn't important, why do they pay someone $10 million + $millions in perks to coach it? The answer that is obvious to all but a very few is to win.

(And please, you ranted and raved on here for weeks after Corbin lost, not to mention posting 24/7 leading up to that loss.)
(02-21-2024, 11:43 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: I don’t see anything wrong with it mattering to folks. I think we only bring this up when it’s not going as well as we would like.  You’ve got to have something that turns your crank, otherwise what’s the point in life? For me, other than my loved ones obviously, it’s always been sports, music and travelling. As I’ve gotten older, as my days left start dwindling a little, travel has probably passed sports for me.  But regardless of what it is, we all need something to care about. So I don’t begrudge anybody that really gets caught up in UK basketball even if it’s not all that important in the overall big picture.
We are on very similar paths Van. 

UK basketball doesn't have to be in the top 50 most important things in my life for me to want them to be an elite program again.
(02-21-2024, 01:28 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(02-21-2024, 01:34 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: I enjoy watching and rooting on UK basketball but , as I've said before, it's not very important. I can think of a thousand things that are far more important. I watch a young  guy like Jack Pilgrim, whose joys and sorrows in life seem to be so tied to KY basketball and I think, Jack, oh boy, one day I hope you realize that it's just a damn game. Let it go, son. When Corbin lost to Boyle, I was disappointed(because we were the better team... lol) but I slept like a baby that night. Same when UK lost to, who was it, St. Peters? I slept fine.  When I was around Jack's age, I cried when the Bengals lost the Superbowl game.  Sports is fun. It's a nice diversion from all of life's worries but it's not really that important when you think about it.

That's a lot of words just to try to tell us we shouldn't mind losing. If UK basketball isn't important, why do they pay someone $10 million + $millions in perks to coach it? The answer that is obvious to all but a very few is to win.

(And please, you ranted and raved on here for weeks after Corbin lost, not to mention posting 24/7 leading up to that loss.)

Nah, just reiterated what I believed---the best team doesn't always win a sporting competition. I felt Corbin was better but the other team won and deserved their win.  Went to bed wishing that I could hear my mother's voice again, though.  That's what I was thinking thinking when I drifted off to sleep, not a ball game. I enjoys sports but sports is not very important, including KY basketball. If they win or don't win, it's not life-changing for me. I hope they win but if they don't my week isn't screwed like Jack Pilgrim's. Jack will learn , in time.

(02-21-2024, 11:43 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: I don’t see anything wrong with it mattering to folks. I think we only bring this up when it’s not going as well as we would like.  You’ve got to have something that turns your crank, otherwise what’s the point in life? For me, other than my loved ones obviously, it’s always been sports, music and travelling. As I’ve gotten older, as my days left start dwindling a little, travel has probably passed sports for me.  But regardless of what it is, we all need something to care about. So I don’t begrudge anybody that really gets caught up in UK basketball even if it’s not all that important in the overall big picture.

That's precisely what I'm saying.   Caring is one thing, but too many UK fans take that WAY too far. I'm as big a UK fan as any on this board. I get disappointed after a loss but not angry or physically sick or wanting bad things to happen to a coach. As I've gotten older and wiser, it's been much easier to just move on to the next game.
(02-21-2024, 06:26 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(02-21-2024, 01:28 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

Nah, just reiterated what I believed---the best team doesn't always win a sporting competition. I felt Corbin was better but the other team won and deserved their win.  Went to bed wishing that I could hear my mother's voice again, though.  That's what I was thinking thinking when I drifted off to sleep, not a ball game. I enjoys sports but sports is not very important, including KY basketball. If they win or don't win, it's not life-changing for me. I hope they win but if they don't my week isn't screwed like Jack Pilgrim's. Jack will learn , in time.

That's precisely what I'm saying.   Caring is one thing, but too many UK fans take that WAY too far. I'm as big a UK fan as any on this board. I get disappointed after a loss but not angry or physically sick or wanting bad things to happen to a coach. As I've gotten older and wiser, it's been much easier to just move on to the next game.

Red herring alerts #6455 and 6456
Good thing UK basketball isn’t important or all this losing would be starting to get on my nerves.
(02-19-2024, 04:35 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote: Here is a cool picture of Cal with this years NBA All-Stars last night in Indy.

Look at CAL doing his job, working on all that alumni money, woooot woooot.
(02-22-2024, 09:52 PM)plantmanky Wrote:
(02-19-2024, 04:35 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote: Here is a cool picture of Cal with this years NBA All-Stars last night in Indy.

Look at CAL doing his job, working on all that alumni money, woooot woooot.

Jetpilot:  Cal's billboard for an underachieving program.

Dr. Capilouto:  Cal doing the job we hired him to do.