Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 41 - Magoffin County 14
Congrats Pirates....BUT REALLY Magoffin had a pretty good game against these guys... Speaking of our d-line Seth Howard had a sack, as did Nathaniel whit., also Cody cole blocking a field goal. the line had a pretty good night all in all. So coach Haywood must have been pretty mad. :mad:
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:I think that's a little short-sighted. You may be playing for the ER game...but when building a program....and that's essentially what you're doing...often times you have to looking down the road where you want the "program" too be...not just in a week or two...but in a year, two even three.

So...your biggest game is in two weeks...but you left starters in late...in game that's already determined... Why would you risk an injury in that situation??

That simply doesn't make any sense..especially with "the biggest game left on their schedule".

What you call short sighted is in the eye of who is looking! It isn't like Magoffin has been playing for one game all season. The situation came up however where in two weeks (with one of them being an off week) they play one game for a playoff berth. Magoffin had some things they needed to work on and they did it. How is it helping them if they pull the kids that will actually be playing in that game at the end of the 3rd when Belfry pulled their starters. Magoffin doesn't get a good look at this point in practice, so this was a great opportunity to get game speed action. Injuries???? I am sorry, but i think they have a much greater chance of getting hurt versus Belfry's varsity rather than the JV or Freshmen so that doesn't hold water.
MCDADDY Wrote:What you call short sighted is in the eye of who is looking! It isn't like Magoffin has been playing for one game all season. The situation came up however where in two weeks (with one of them being an off week) they play one game for a playoff berth. Magoffin had some things they needed to work on and they did it. How is it helping them if they pull the kids that will actually be playing in that game at the end of the 3rd when Belfry pulled their starters. Magoffin doesn't get a good look at this point in practice, so this was a great opportunity to get game speed action. Injuries???? I am sorry, but i think they have a much greater chance of getting hurt versus Belfry's varsity rather than the JV or Freshmen so that doesn't hold water.

Get game speed action against JV and Freshmen?? That's what "doesn't hold water".
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Get game speed action against JV and Freshmen?? That's what "doesn't hold water".

Well, let me get a bucket here so I can hold it for you.....Magoffin has 30-32 young men that dress. The look they can get in practice versus the look they can get from Belfry's JV is non-comparable. Plus, it is a game, therefore game speed on both sides of the ball is initiated.

Here is a simple question, who does Magoffin's varsity first team (made up of several Freshman and Sophomores) get the best work against at this time in their programs existence, Belfry's JV or their own scout team?

Also, what will help the program's future more, making the playoffs for only the second time in school history, or playing the second and third team against Belfry's JV and Freshman for a quarter?
Not that it matters, but I agree with MCDADDY.

Let MC coaches play their kids at whatever intervals they think will best benefit them. If they need the full speed work against Belfry's JV, where they can move the ball and work on their offense, so be it. I don't see it as a big deal one way or the other, and it certainly isn't a measure of their class.

The bottom line is the only people qualified to make that call ist he MC coaches, and they made it. Those men are with the team daily, they know their level of development, their strengths and weaknesses and they, above all others, should know what they need to work on. So why would anyone question it?

Hats off to MC and good luck against ER in your bid for a playoff spot.
MCDADDY Wrote:Also, what will help the program's future more, making the playoffs for only the second time in school history, or playing the second and third team against Belfry's JV and Freshman for a quarter?

This was the whole point.......

What's best for the program?? Why risk losing a front line player....in a decided game....in the 4th quarter....when your team is still in playoff contention....with a "play in" game with ER just two weeks away? Your starters are not going to "learn" anything else about themselves in a mop up situation playing against JV and Freshmen. Give your reserves some "game minutes"....and help those kids build for the future.

Keep your starters intact and live to fight another day.
Sarrr Wrote:Maydo has a bruised MCL from a hit to the knee against Pikeville. Will is out with a torn ACL AND MCL. Will's knee is only half attached right now :/ But he went to surgery Thursday, I haven't heard from him but the little fart is supposed to email me or call me when he gets the chance.

Thomeh and Timmeh might have to bear the brunt with Ivan when the Cards come to town, but I believe they're up to it.

Anyway, any news on Charlie? None of the boys I talked to have heard from him.

The last Maydo told me was that he would be ready to go against Sheldon Clark...
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:This was the whole point.......

What's best for the program?? Why risk losing a front line player....in a decided game....in the 4th quarter....when your team is still in playoff contention....with a "play in" game with ER just two weeks away? Your starters are not going to "learn" anything else about themselves in a mop up situation playing against JV and Freshmen. Give your reserves some "game minutes"....and help those kids build for the future.

Keep your starters intact and live to fight another day.

/Agree