Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Belfry 41 - Magoffin County 14
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Final Score.
Were any of the 14 Magoffin put up scored against the starting defense? Or was it after Haywood put the JV in?
After the JV defense was put in..
Starting Defense still hasn't given up any points this year then.
Congrats to the Pirates. Nice Job!
Belfry actually looked very sloppy tonight and seamed to sleep walk through this game. Timmy Lovern and Thomas Varney were amazing tonight, they seemed to be the only Pirates with their minds in the game.

Pirates committed numerous costly penalties including a pair that negated huge plays, fumbled the ball numerous times, dropped passes on what would have been long gains, allowed 2 or 3 sacks, and missed a ton of assignments.

Additionally, Charlie Dotson left the game with an injury early in the second half and did not return. This would be a huge loss.
I'm thinking Belfry tried to overlook Magoffin Co. You can never afford to play sloppy and assume you are going to win because your jersey has BELFRY across the front. Trying times are coming for the Pirates we have Pike Central next week and Sheldon Clark after that not to mention a load of injuries. I'm sure Coach Haywood wasn't very happy with tonights performance. Its about getting better every week and they failed at that task tonight. I love my Pirates but I think its time we stopped believing the press and the AP polls there is only one #1 in 3A and that will be decided in December.
Who played in the place of May?
Congrats Belfry...whats the win total for Coach Haywood now??
Win #298
The biggest game of the year, I think will be win#300 for Haywood.
Congrats Belfry
congrats belfry but magoffin stayed after them. Good game for both teams
I was talking to the boys after the game and they are looking ahead a couple more weeks... They just didn't want to be playing Magoffin that night.

Maydo is supposed to be back for the SC game he told me, the day before, but he won't practice that whole week...

Either way, we'll still have Ivan, Timmeh La Vern (& Shirley), Phil, Thomas, and Heath. I leave anyone out?

Oh, anyone heard anything on Charlie? I've been at work all day.
What's wrong with May?
On other score posts they have belfry winning 21-14. I know that isn't right is it?
Congrats Belfry
blitz43 Wrote:On other score posts they have Belfry winning 21-14. I know that isn't right is it?
It was 41-14...

Kick return for TD by Lovern, Punt Return for TD by Varney, Long TD run by Varney, Another Varney punt return for TD, 27-0 at halftime.

Second half, two long TD runs by Lovern makes it 41-0 with about 4 minutes to go in the 3rd when Belfry pulls their starters, Magoffin scores 7 in the 4th on Belfry JV, and 7 on all Freshman to set the final score of 41-14.
Congrats Belfry on the W!
Did Southerland ever return from the leg injury that he got earlier this season?
Coach Cline Wrote:Did Southerland ever return from the leg injury that he got earlier this season?

He is out for the season with a torn ACL.
Magoffin, played very hard all game.

Minus the mistakes (3 touchdowns) made by their special teams (which is mostly freshman and sophmores); they didn't give up that much to the Pirate offense.

As for the comments about Belfry and it's Freshman defense. Magoffin starts no less than 3 Freshman at all times and will have as many as 5 to 6 through out the game on the field at the same time.

It's football and you play what you can dress and what you have; it dosen't matter what grade their in when their on the field.

I didn't see any of Belfrey's starters letting up when they were playing against underclassmen and they shouldn't.

McCoy is a good coach and a good man and knows what he is doing.
I haven't seen anyone mention anything about that aside from noting when the points was scored by Magoffin... but since you brought it up:

McCoy has done a great job in adjusting his program, but he made a common mistake that most young coaches in his situation makes Friday night. If you truly want to improve your program, then why at the end of the game do you not give ALL of your kids a chance to play? What possible benefit is it to have Senior starters playing against freshman?

Confidence? I think not, if anything it would negatively affect a teams confidence if they were to also get stopped by freshman players.

Repitions for practice? Maybe, but haven't they ran the same plays all game already? True the Freshman they are playign against may very well be better than the scout team they'd be facing in practice, but this just bring me back to how are you improving against a team who is not challenging you.

Menahwile, negatives:
1. Injuries- Imagine if #34 for Magoffin tore his ACL and was lost for the season on a menaingless drive. Also, the injury risk of the opposing teams freshman who are not physically mature yet matching up against Seniors.

2. Morale- Odds are Magoffin won't be bloowing many teams out to where they can put in their reserves, and just by looking at the sidelines I wouldn't expect magoffin to field a Freshman or JV team due to lack of numbers... thus you have numerous players who are seeing no PT this year in a game situation. In order to turnaround a program, one of the biggest keys is having your numebrs up. You can't expect to have 40+ players if only 15 of them will ever see the field. Additionally, until Magoffin can field 40+ players they won't be able to establish the before mentioned Freshman/JV teams.

3. Next year- You said that Magoffin was having to play freshman as it was, well just imagine how difficult it will be next year when the graduating seniors are gone and you are forced to either play a freshman or a Soph who is the equivolent of a Fresh because he hasn't played in varsity action. This creates a vicous cycle that becomes very hard to overturn.

I don't mean to sound condescending, but it was soemthing that was on my mind. I think magoffin is heading on the right track, and I would even expect them to defeat ER and earn a playoff birth. But, I honestly think that not giving your younger players any PT will hinder the Magoffin program froma dvancing as fast as it can.
Maydo has a bruised MCL from a hit to the knee against Pikeville. Will is out with a torn ACL AND MCL. Will's knee is only half attached right now :/ But he went to surgery Thursday, I haven't heard from him but the little fart is supposed to email me or call me when he gets the chance.

Thomeh and Timmeh might have to bear the brunt with Ivan when the Cards come to town, but I believe they're up to it.

Anyway, any news on Charlie? None of the boys I talked to have heard from him.
Hope he gets better.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:It was 41-14...

Kick return for TD by Lovern, Punt Return for TD by Varney, Long TD run by Varney, Another Varney punt return for TD, 27-0 at halftime.

Second half, two long TD runs by Lovern makes it 41-0 with about 4 minutes to go in the 3rd when Belfry pulls their starters, Magoffin scores 7 in the 4th on Belfry JV, and 7 on all Freshman to set the final score of 41-14.
Thank you very much....thought that was a little off.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I haven't seen anyone mention anything about that aside from noting when the points was scored by Magoffin... but since you brought it up:

McCoy has done a great job in adjusting his program, but he made a common mistake that most young coaches in his situation makes Friday night. If you truly want to improve your program, then why at the end of the game do you not give ALL of your kids a chance to play? What possible benefit is it to have Senior starters playing against freshman?

Confidence? I think not, if anything it would negatively affect a teams confidence if they were to also get stopped by freshman players.

Repitions for practice? Maybe, but haven't they ran the same plays all game already? True the Freshman they are playign against may very well be better than the scout team they'd be facing in practice, but this just bring me back to how are you improving against a team who is not challenging you.

Menahwile, negatives:
1. Injuries- Imagine if #34 for Magoffin tore his ACL and was lost for the season on a menaingless drive. Also, the injury risk of the opposing teams freshman who are not physically mature yet matching up against Seniors.

2. Morale- Odds are Magoffin won't be bloowing many teams out to where they can put in their reserves, and just by looking at the sidelines I wouldn't expect magoffin to field a Freshman or JV team due to lack of numbers... thus you have numerous players who are seeing no PT this year in a game situation. In order to turnaround a program, one of the biggest keys is having your numebrs up. You can't expect to have 40+ players if only 15 of them will ever see the field. Additionally, until Magoffin can field 40+ players they won't be able to establish the before mentioned Freshman/JV teams.

3. Next year- You said that Magoffin was having to play freshman as it was, well just imagine how difficult it will be next year when the graduating seniors are gone and you are forced to either play a freshman or a Soph who is the equivolent of a Fresh because he hasn't played in varsity action. This creates a vicous cycle that becomes very hard to overturn.

I don't mean to sound condescending, but it was soemthing that was on my mind. I think magoffin is heading on the right track, and I would even expect them to defeat ER and earn a playoff birth. But, I honestly think that not giving your younger players any PT will hinder the Magoffin program froma dvancing as fast as it can.

I have to thorughly disagree with this statement. The biggest game on Magoffin's schedule is in 2 weeks when they play East Ridge for a playoff birth. Magoffin has to do what they think is best for them in preperation for THAT game. The younger kids are playing several JV games and they are getting their time in. The starting varsity needs to get as many reps as possible at GAME SPEED to prepare for THAT game. Just because Belfry subbed their guys out in the 4th quarter doesn't dictate what Magoffin should do. Magoffin has to do what they think prepares them for their next game.
MCDADDY Wrote:I have to thorughly disagree with this statement. The biggest game on Magoffin's schedule is in 2 weeks when they play East Ridge for a playoff birth. Magoffin has to do what they think is best for them in preperation for THAT game. The younger kids are playing several JV games and they are getting their time in. The starting varsity needs to get as many reps as possible at GAME SPEED to prepare for THAT game. Just because Belfry subbed their guys out in the 4th quarter doesn't dictate what Magoffin should do. Magoffin has to do what they think prepares them for their next game.

I think that's a little short-sighted. You may be playing for the ER game...but when building a program....and that's essentially what you're doing...often times you have to looking down the road where you want the "program" too be...not just in a week or two...but in a year, two even three.

So...your biggest game is in two weeks...but you left starters in late...in game that's already determined... Why would you risk an injury in that situation??

That simply doesn't make any sense..especially with "the biggest game left on their schedule".
[quote=EKUAlum05]I haven't seen anyone mention anything about that aside from noting when the points was scored by Magoffin... but since you brought it up:

Menahwile, negatives:

I don't mean to sound condescending, but it was soemthing that was on my mind. I think magoffin is heading on the right track, and I would even expect them to defeat ER and earn a playoff birth. But, I honestly think that not giving your younger players any PT will hinder the Magoffin program froma dvancing as fast as it can.[/quote]

Before you write a book; you should probably do a little research.

1. This statement you made, I don't know about it.
Like I said we start freshman; I didn't see any opposing players letting up on them because the were freshman. So, hit our freshmen, but don't hit yours????

2. Magoffin does field a JV team; so your assumption about that one is wrong.

3. You have probably never had to build a program; probably just simply been part of an established, well ran one, that only needs to be maintained. So you wouldn't have any idea of what its like.
It dosent advance very fast either if you put first year (of ever playing football) players up against players with 3,4or 5 years of experience and get them hurt.
Magoffin has never had football in elementary; until this year or never had a junior league either. So when your talking even about freshman and sophmores from other schools; they will somethimes have as much as 4-5 years of actually playing football experience over Magoffin.
This will continue to happen until our feeders throughout the county start producing players into middle school and then high school.
Tricky Wrote:Magoffin, played very hard all game.

Minus the mistakes (3 touchdowns) made by their special teams (which is mostly freshman and sophmores); they didn't give up that much to the Pirate offense.

As for the comments about Belfry and it's Freshman defense. Magoffin starts no less than 3 Freshman at all times and will have as many as 5 to 6 through out the game on the field at the same time.

It's football and you play what you can dress and what you have; it dosen't matter what grade their in when their on the field.

I didn't see any of Belfrey's starters letting up when they were playing against underclassmen and they shouldn't.

McCoy is a good coach and a good man and knows what he is doing.

I'll have to agree with EKU. Nothing was originally said except for noting when the Magoffin TD's were scored. It had nothing to do with Magoffin as an individual team. It has been mentioned Every game because Belfrys starting D (which were not all on the field that night) have not been scored on this year at all AND the freshman and JV have played in every game this year. Everyone is proud and are just keeping tabs with each game as it comes along. It wasn't intended to be a cut on Magoffin. Just keep building.
Pages: 1 2