Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ranking the Coaches in the 15th region
Danny Adams
McKenzie and Justice have both proven to be great coaches, however McKenzie has been at it longer. There is a fine line between having the most regional wins and being the best coach and only time will tell and I hope I’m still alive to see who wins this one, they’re both Great.
There are some good assistant coaches in the 15th region that will make good head coaches when they get their chance. J R Vanhoose is one and first year assistant coach Chase Parsley at Martin County. Chase had a great run at Sheldon Clark then played all four year of his college basketball career at UPIKE.
No one really knows what the future holds for coaches, some stay at one school and some upgrade to bigger and better opportunities.
Good luck to all.
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:It’s ranking the active coaches not all-time coaches

Read ALL the posts, goof. Not all talk about active coaches. Thus my post.
My take on the McKenzie/Justice conversation is this:
Justice is an exceptional young talented coach, who really knows and understands the game of basketball. The kids of today seem to relate so much better to coaches that’s aren’t 30 years older than they are. So therefore the POSSIBILITY of him being the best coach ever from this region, is definitely obtainable, with a long durable career. And I know this topic is about ranking them right now not all time, but it kinda got into the flow of being compared to the best of all time. So I’ll comment on both issues. The best currently I am going McKenzie 1 and Justice 2. And putting Justice 2 I still have some questions about that. Could’ve slid him down to 3 but I think based on accomplishments alone 2 is fair and respectable.
However: when we talk about ALL TIME, I think we should be mindful and thoughtful and not become “prisoners of the moment” before putting someone with 4-5 yrs of varsity coaching experience in the same category with guys that paid their dues. And I mean absolutely no disrespect to Justice, he has all the tools needed to eventually be one of those guys. He really does have that kind of basketball acumen. BUT, just to shed a little light on things. When we talk about “All Time”, “Best Ever”, and those kinds of demonstrative titles we have to really go back and not just say those things based on what we see currently or what we’ve been told about from the avid fan, or “barstool guys”.
So here is a list of guys that have coached in this region that we must respect. Most people probably don’t know or even heard of a couple of these guys but some of us that have been associated with this region as long as we have remember them well:
RUSS WILLIAMSON Inez 508 Career Wins 20yrs 46th All Time in Ky
DENZIL “Hoss” HALBERT Martin 528 Career Wins 25yrs 39th All Time
JOHNNY MARTIN Allen Central/Sheldon Clark 538 Wins 31yrs 35th All Time
BILL MIKE RUNYON Paintsville 581 Career Wins 29yrs 25th All Time
RALPH ROBERTS P’BURG (was at several other schools also, McCreary Central, Fleming Neon. Not sure how many wins was at Pburg but yet he was there) 615 Career Wins 30yrs Tied 18th All Time.
Anyhow just a little 15th Region history I thought some might enjoy seeing. Good luck to the young guys coming up. I think they have big shoes to fill but also think they have the skills to get there. If JR Vanhoose was to ever get a head coaching job, it may be dangerous for all the other schools. Not only was he one of the best players ever in this state, just watch him on the sidelines as an assistant. The guy can flat out coach and the kids LOVE him
Creeker Wrote:^ or have people that are associated with the school recruit for them...

Don’t have to recruit when you win. I assume “Creeker” is a reference to PC? And you are complaining about recruiting? Wow
I have McKenzie at one and then Elisha next. In what short time Elisha has been at Pikeville, he’s done so much and proved himself in my opinion worthy of number two spot and it’s close to being number one for me. He has collegiate experience and you can say whatever you want. He played for one of the greatest coaches of all time in Pitino. So he knows his stuff and won two all-a titles and a state title at a small program. He knows what it takes and he’s still got the youth to get in there and practice with the kids and really teach them one on one and show exactly what he wants.

But what McKenzie has accomplished at JC, is incredible and he’s the number one guy in the current 15 region coaches.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
I give the nod to McKenzie as he has built Johnson Central into a consistent powerhouse in the 15th Region. I think their is also a greater chance McKenzie will stay at Johnson Central until he is ready to retire. Not to mention, McKenzie has built Johnson Central into a region contender year in and year out.

I think Justice may eventually leave the 15th Region. Still yet, what he has done in his career has been impressive in getting Pikeville where they are. Before that he brought JBS back to being competitive in the 14th Region during his brief stint there. He is definitely number two in my book.
clipperw Wrote:I give the nod to McKenzie as he has built Johnson Central into a consistent powerhouse in the 15th Region. I think their is also a greater chance McKenzie will stay at Johnson Central until he is ready to retire. Not to mention, McKenzie has built Johnson Central into a region contender year in and year out.

I think Justice may eventually leave the 15th Region. Still yet, what he has done in his career has been impressive in getting Pikeville where they are. Before that he brought JBS back to being competitive in the 14th Region during his brief stint there. He is definitely number two in my book.

I think Pikeville has a chance to keep him. Unless colleges come calling then he might leave but I see him staying at Pikeville for a very long time.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Hambley Wrote:Don’t have to recruit when you win. I assume “Creeker” is a reference to PC? And you are complaining about recruiting? Wow

I actually wasn't... Wasn't referring to a school in particular, I think ALL schools recruit in some form or fashion... or the parents do...