Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perry Central Basketball
The Chief Wrote:Hoskins is a short timer. Turmoil amongst the players (only 7 dressing, fighting in the locker room), turmoil amongst the coaching staff (LJ Thomas getting a DUI), and at Perry there is always turmoil amongst the administration with Punkin Combs and Heston Beverly involved.

In all honesty, there are two events that set Perry's program back 20 years. One was running Al Holland off and the other was losing to Buckhorn in 2012. No Commodore fan will ever admit it because for some reason they feel as if Perry is the high school equivalent to UK or the Boston Celtics, but it's true and about anyone who is unbiased can see it. Once Beverly graduates, it will be the nail in the coffin for Perry Central basketball.

1) always was remember this Chief. Heston Beverly is goat and has "the goat" in his back pocket.
2) Punkin Combs tells nobody at that school who to play and neither does Heston Beverly. Coach Hoskins makes his own decision on who plays and doesn't play for PCC & he will tell you the said thing.
3) tell me which program in the mountains that hasn't had a couple down years especially when they have to beat a team like KCC has had the last 3/4 years to go to state.
4) if may memory is correct the last year Al coached hat PCC they got beat out of district by Buckhorn by 30. Is that the loss your talking about that set PCC back 20 years?
daredevil4life Wrote:What's Perry done since they decided to not allow coach Spurlock to do his job? Karma is a b----!

What does that suppose to mean? I mean anybody you put in the coaching sit at PCC would have won 20 games a season. Spurlock did himself in by making every good player on that team hate him. His coaching isn't his downfall, his personality is!! Regardless of what you may believe but as a high school coach you HAVE to deal w/ parents and at least build some type of relationship w/ them. You don't in college but you do in high school.
I Rule The World Wrote:Hes prep school bound. No way he plays at Perry next Season...

I wouldn't 100% disagree w/ that statement! Think about it! Not a great reason to stay if you ask me. He is leading scorer in PCC boys history and PCC would prob be favorite to win region w/out.
ballstar Wrote:1) always was remember this Chief. Heston Beverly is goat and has "the goat" in his back pocket.
2) Punkin Combs tells nobody at that school who to play and neither does Heston Beverly. Coach Hoskins makes his own decision on who plays and doesn't play for PCC & he will tell you the said thing.
3) tell me which program in the mountains that hasn't had a couple down years especially when they have to beat a team like KCC has had the last 3/4 years to go to state.
4) if may memory is correct the last year Al coached hat PCC they got beat out of district by Buckhorn by 30. Is that the loss your talking about that set PCC back 20 years?

One more thing, how has Heston caused any turmoil at PCC? From what I understand he helped get Paige, Justin Johnson and Philly boys! Isnt he also the uncle of Braxton Beverly!! If that is true sounds like to me he hasn't done anything but help the program. I also hear he does a lot of work w/ past and future commodores as well. Sounds like Heston is the back bone of PCC basketball.
Perry will be fine and right in the mix come tournament time mark it down!
ballstar Wrote:1) always was remember this Chief. Heston Beverly is goat and has "the goat" in his back pocket.

1. What does that even mean? How is he "goat"? I guess that's short for "greatest of all time". Funny to me because if my memory serves correctly, he wasn't even the best player on his high school team (a man who wears navy in the next county over held that distinction).

2. Saying those two don't have influence on who plays and who don't for Perry is about as believable as saying Billy Gillispie is a better coach than John Calipari. Seriously, the gym is called the Punkin Palace for a reason. Give me a break.

3. There's no denying that every program has down years. But in 2012-13, Perry dominated all season long and choked away the regional final and last year, had home-court advantage yet still lost, with arguably more talent than KCC both seasons.

4. No, I clearly said 2012 when referring to the Buckhorn loss. You know, the year Perry was rated number four in the state with a major D1 prospect and fans booking their rooms in Lexington when a bunch of mountain boys from the "other" county school came to Hyden and shot their dreams all to pieces. Losing Al in 2007 hurt them a ton but they thought they had finally recovered, only to have their dream season ended in the first round by a bunch of kids who Perry didn't think were good enough for them. I know PCC fans who still can't get over that loss.
ballstar Wrote:One more thing, how has Heston caused any turmoil at PCC? From what I understand he helped get Paige, Justin Johnson and Philly boys! Isnt he also the uncle of Braxton Beverly!! If that is true sounds like to me he hasn't done anything but help the program. I also hear he does a lot of work w/ past and future commodores as well. Sounds like Heston is the back bone of PCC basketball.

How has he caused turmoil? Well, we're talking about the guy who demanded a to bring in Kevin Spurlock (only to lure in Johnson BTW) yet after a successful season (in which they actually made it to the regional tournament, unlike the year before), called for his head because his nephew didn't get enough shots.

How else? We're also talking about the guy who is in cahoots with L.J. Thomas (who has been arrested for a DUI), bringing him from Cordia and convincing the powers-that-be to give him an entire county facility (Whitaker Athletic Center) to profit off of and use at his own disposal while trying to recruit players to Perry from his connections elsewhere.

Also, there is no doubt in my mind he is "the back bone" of PCC basketball. The program is virtually run by him. However, I wouldn't say it has helped things, because obviously it was stronger before he got there; five regional titles prior to "the goat's" arrival compared to one since he's been involved.

Perry fans will never admit it, but the future of the program is as clouded as ever and they may never be back to the level they used to be at. Sad for a school that size and with its amount of support, but it is true.
Lol. Give out the participation awards!
The Chief Wrote:How has he caused turmoil? Well, we're talking about the guy who demanded a to bring in Kevin Spurlock (only to lure in Johnson BTW) yet after a successful season (in which they actually made it to the regional tournament, unlike the year before), called for his head because his nephew didn't get enough shots.

How else? We're also talking about the guy who is in cahoots with L.J. Thomas (who has been arrested for a DUI), bringing him from Cordia and convincing the powers-that-be to give him an entire county facility (Whitaker Athletic Center) to profit off of and use at his own disposal while trying to recruit players to Perry from his connections elsewhere.

Also, there is no doubt in my mind he is "the back bone" of PCC basketball. The program is virtually run by him. However, I wouldn't say it has helped things, because obviously it was stronger before he got there; five regional titles prior to "the goat's" arrival compared to one since he's been involved.

Perry fans will never admit it, but the future of the program is as clouded as ever and they may never be back to the level they used to be at. Sad for a school that size and with its amount of support, but it is true.

Ok, it's plain to see that you were once a fan or close to the program and someone overturned your apple cart. I'm sorry than your family member wasn't good enough to play any good mins on the team whenever they played or if they still play. I bet your also one of those ppl of say play the local boys, lol. You saw them against Hazard when Beverly didn't play. Enough said.
Looks like the same book Cordia wrote, just not with as many chapters!
Oh the drama at the pumpkin palace
If Hoskins is put out I think they should go to John Noble first. Not sure if he'd take the spot but I could see him being successful there.
I don't see Noble leaving Buckhorn. He's been there forever.
It's not Coach's fault he has been dealt this hand! I agree that PCC could and should be much better than what they are playing. I can see why ppl would say that because they are a pretty talented group of kids there and PCC has under achieved the last 3 yrs but that doesn't mean it's all coaching. Sometimes the kids have to take some pride and work together to be a better team. Parents always look at the coach when their kids are stinking it up on the floor but they should look at the kid. That's mostly where the blame is a majority of the time. Parents don't want to except that though!
Ball star, just a perspective from an outsider. This has nothing to with parents whining about their kid's playing time. Most of the lifelong Perry kids don't get playing time at all. It seems to me Perry's coaching staff tries to make their team around one or two players, and the others are out there just going through the drills. It's called a team for a reason. High school should be the best time of life for our kids, but the kids at Perry are getting cheated because it has never been about the kids at Perry...too many adults get in the way...All I know is it's a shame when you have a school with 8 or 9 hundred kids, and you only dress 7 or 8 players when there are kids who want to play and are not given the opportunity. I think it's time the administration address this problem...
hornaplenty Wrote:Ball star, just a perspective from an outsider. This has nothing to with parents whining about their kid's playing time. Most of the lifelong Perry kids don't get playing time at all. It seems to me Perry's coaching staff tries to make their team around one or two players, and the others are out there just going through the drills. It's called a team for a reason. High school should be the best time of life for our kids, but the kids at Perry are getting cheated because it has never been about the kids at Perry...too many adults get in the way...All I know is it's a shame when you have a school with 8 or 9 hundred kids, and you only dress 7 or 8 players when there are kids who want to play and are not given the opportunity. I think it's time the administration address this problem...
The grass is always greener on the other side. It is easier to try to bring in talent from somewhere else, than to develop your own.
Perry probably only team with 4 players in double digits....
Coach Spurlock had 2 6'7 along with Beverly and two other senior guards and got beat by the same team PCC lost to last year. They just played them at a different stage.
High School sports is about developing your own. I watched PCC play Hazard without Beverly and last time I checked, Tobler and Whitmore ard not Perry County kids. I for one am for playing kids from my community and giving them their deserving opportunity. Perry has been winning for many years long before all the recruiting started taking place. Same applies to Hazard, Id rather see our team lose with our kids from our community than have to go out and buy players.
What year did Hazard take Warren and Whitaker from Bell? Not too long ago,2007 or there about.
What about Chris Hudson last year? I didnt say I liked or approved any of the rrecruiting.
Half the teams in the 14th have players transfer from one place to another.Whitaker chose to bring his son here and help coach for Hazard.Hudson chose to come for football.
Every school has some type of transfer seems like. I agree that some teams do have their "golden boys".. I have mixed feelings about it. Work hard and play, I have seen kids work hard and not get a minute of playing time. Not really fair but, we're not the coaches either.
How so ??What schools have transfers other than hazard, pcc, and knott?... Not counting Cordia