Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wymt sports overtime awards
StrikeoutKing Wrote:We don't base our picks solely on the nominations by the coaches. We ask each of them to submit players from his team (or others) and we use them as a benchmark. We look at every stat that is available online (in various places). If a team does not report stats and does not nominate individual players, it makes it extremely difficult to select the players. We don't necessarily go by what the coaches say, but they see the players more than we do, so their opinion is welcomed in making our picks.

The list is the collective opinion of four people. Not everyone agrees with it, nor should they. It's an opinion. Everyone has their own. People can make arguments all day for this kid or that kid making it or not making it. At the end of the day, it's the on-field results that matter. Belfry won a state championship, and IMO is the best TEAM in the Mountains. If you were to ask the players to trade their ring for a 1st Team All-Mountain mention, I don't think many would take it.

I agree with you here 100%, but to name someone 3A Player of The Year (which was well deserved) and not even have him on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team has my head spinning.
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:I agree with you here 100%, but to name someone 3A Player of The Year (which was well deserved) and not even have him on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team has my head spinning.

Statistically (except for maybe defense), Sani's numbers weren't overly impressive. He was an efficient passer and excelled as a rusher, but he didn't great in any one area. His passing numbers weren't good enough to be 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Team, and neither were his rushing numbers. However, he was (at least in my opinion), the most important player on a state championship team. He did everything that was asked of him and did it well. Last season Josh Robinson got 3A Player of the Year and didn't make any of the teams, but he did a little of everything for Belfry (catch passes, run, return punts/kicks, and play a heck of a safety), and did it exceptionally well.
StrikeoutKing Wrote:Statistically (except for maybe defense), Sani's numbers weren't overly impressive. He was an efficient passer and excelled as a rusher, but he didn't great in any one area. His passing numbers weren't good enough to be 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Team, and neither were his rushing numbers. However, he was (at least in my opinion), the most important player on a state championship team. He did everything that was asked of him and did it well. Last season Josh Robinson got 3A Player of the Year and didn't make any of the teams, but he did a little of everything for Belfry (catch passes, run, return punts/kicks, and play a heck of a safety), and did it exceptionally well.

I see your reasoning and I can agree with that.

Sani was the key to that well oiled big red machine. His stats didn't stand out, but I don't think they get the ring without him.
I was very surprised that Corbin did not have any defensive players mentioned, as that was obviously the strong suit on this year's team. Kids such as Jackson, Liford, Lane and Lambert were very deserving of some recognition, not sure who dropped the ball on it though.

I wouldn't put too much stock in some team's stats, especially the defensive ones. I have noticed some teams grossly exaggerate tackles, and some of their players would have 5-6 times more solo tackles than assisted tackles, which is not likely in most cases.
StrikeoutKing Wrote:We don't base our picks solely on the nominations by the coaches. We ask each of them to submit players from his team (or others) and we use them as a benchmark. We look at every stat that is available online (in various places). If a team does not report stats and does not nominate individual players, it makes it extremely difficult to select the players. We don't necessarily go by what the coaches say, but they see the players more than we do, so their opinion is welcomed in making our picks.

The list is the collective opinion of four people. Not everyone agrees with it, nor should they. It's an opinion. Everyone has their own. People can make arguments all day for this kid or that kid making it or not making it. At the end of the day, it's the on-field results that matter. Belfry won a state championship, and IMO is the best TEAM in the Mountains. If you were to ask the players to trade their ring for a 1st Team All-Mountain mention, I don't think many would take it.

I thought Johnson Central was the best team in the mountains this year?
pjdoug Wrote:I thought Johnson Central was the best team in the mountains this year?

You have your opinion, I have mine. :Thumbs:
SEKYFAN Wrote:I was very surprised that Corbin did not have any defensive players mentioned, as that was obviously the strong suit on this year's team. Kids such as Jackson, Liford, Lane and Lambert were very deserving of some recognition, not sure who dropped the ball on it though.

I wouldn't put too much stock in some team's stats, especially the defensive ones. I have noticed some teams grossly exaggerate tackles, and some of their players would have 5-6 times more solo tackles than assisted tackles, which is not likely in most cases.

Must of had something to do with coaches not turning in their nominations. I can't believe nobody from Corbin's d-line made it? That's crazy IMO they had one of the best defensive lines in the mountains. Their secondary was not so good but their D-line was strong all year. All of the guys you mentioned above deserved to have their names mentioned for 1st,2nd, or 3rd team. Great kids and a great year for the hounds.
StrikeoutKing Wrote:You have your opinion, I have mine. :Thumbs:

And this is why many have turned away from WYMT since Rock and Brian left for greener pastures in larger media markets. On November 1, JC soundly defeated Belfry at Belfry. JC may not have won a state title but just because they didn't doesn't mean that it should automatically disqualify them from being considered the best in EKY. Personally, I would much rather have a state title than to be considered the best mountain team, but for the sake of this disagreement your reasoning is based off of pure opinion, red tinted glasses and not on facts. If that is the case, maybe you should try editorials instead of athletics. Do you honestly think Belfry would've hung in there with a Covington Catholic, FT Thomas Highlands, Lexington Catholic and have enough in the tank to take down Collins? This is not a slight on Belfry either because they were obviously the best team in THEIR class. 3A and 4A, arguably the most competitive class in the state, are two different animals and it shouldn't take a rocket scientist or a guy with an engineering degree to see that.
DALE Wrote:And this is why many have turned away from WYMT since Rock and Brian left for greener pastures in larger media markets. On November 1, JC soundly defeated Belfry at Belfry. JC may not have won a state title but just because they didn't doesn't mean that it should automatically disqualify them from being considered the best in EKY. Personally, I would much rather have a state title than to be considered the best mountain team, but for the sake of this disagreement your reasoning is based off of pure opinion, red tinted glasses and not on facts. If that is the case, maybe you should try editorials instead of athletics. Do you honestly think Belfry would've hung in there with a Covington Catholic, FT Thomas Highlands, Lexington Catholic and have enough in the tank to take down Collins? This is not a slight on Belfry either because they were obviously the best team in THEIR class. 3A and 4A, arguably the most competitive class in the state, are two different animals and it shouldn't take a rocket scientist or a guy with an engineering degree to see that.

I'm not going to argue anything that you said, because you make some very valid points. Johnson Central was the most impressive team to me all season long, and validated that in their win over Belfry. I guess I should have chosen my words more carefully. The way Belfry encompasses the "team" concept is better than any other team in the Mountains. It takes a special group of players to play the style they do in an age where it's all about individual achievement and recognition. The unselfishness, the willingness to sacrifice personal gain for the betterment of the group as a whole, to me is very impressive. That is the direction I was meaning to go with the statement. It's tough to judge the coverage area as a whole because the classes are so different, the teams play different types of competition, but I will agree that from top to bottom, statewide, 3A and 4A are two of the more complete classes in the state.

It's funny though that you say "red tinted glasses," because according to everyone in Belfry, WYMT has a huge bias against them, which could not be further from the truth.
StrikeoutKing Wrote:I'm not going to argue anything that you said, because you make some very valid points. Johnson Central was the most impressive team to me all season long, and validated that in their win over Belfry. I guess I should have chosen my words more carefully. The way Belfry encompasses the "team" concept is better than any other team in the Mountains. It takes a special group of players to play the style they do in an age where it's all about individual achievement and recognition. The unselfishness, the willingness to sacrifice personal gain for the betterment of the group as a whole, to me is very impressive. That is the direction I was meaning to go with the statement. It's tough to judge the coverage area as a whole because the classes are so different, the teams play different types of competition, but I will agree that from top to bottom, statewide, 3A and 4A are two of the more complete classes in the state.

It's funny though that you say "red tinted glasses," because according to everyone in Belfry, WYMT has a huge bias against them, which could not be further from the truth.
It is hilarious lol
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:I agree with you here 100%, but to name someone 3A Player of The Year (which was well deserved) and not even have him on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team has my head spinning.

A "copy editor/auditor" should scrub your data before you release it to the masses for scrutiny. Folks will be that much more critical if you allow a glaring mistake like the above to occur.

I enjoy the coverage and insight you all provide. Dot a few Is and cross some Ts. Keep up the good work and Happy New Year!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
Spirit100 Wrote:A "copy editor/auditor" should scrub your data before you release it to the masses for scrutiny. Folks will be that much more critical if you allow a glaring mistake like the above to occur.

I enjoy the coverage and insight you all provide. Dot a few Is and cross some Ts. Keep up the good work and Happy New Year!

Explain please?
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:Explain please?

What are you missing Cat? If the folks I'm suggesting the concept of "scrubbing for errors" don't understand that concept, they need to find someone else who will.

Hope that helps! PM if I'm missing something…

Player of the Year to Honorable Mention Concept help?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
Great job WYMT. Keep up the good work on covering Eastern KY. Nobody else does for sure.