Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Kentucky's Panic Button need pushed?
Oh, and one more thing. If UNCs wins impress you more,, then keep being used to it after you get into the ACC. You're not in the USA conference or AAC or whatever hell it is anymore. Have to actually play a conference full of talented teams. Being as I started watching, listening, to UK not long after Rupp retired, pretty sure you can drop the child accusation.

Mix1..
Mix1 Wrote:Lol,, good one. I'm to lazy to look all that up. But was mostly my point. Yeah was talking pre 50s on the NIT. Rupp could have cared less about any other tournament back then. And I hate UNC and KU claiming the Helmes banners are as good as the actual NCAA banner. +1 sir.

Mix1...

Depends on what you are calling the modern era. To put it simply...since 1970U of L has been to ten final fours with three national championships. Louisville is in the top ten in NCAA tournament appearances, wins, final fours, win percentage. The Cards are twelfth in all time wins. Which is pretty good considering they started playing basketball several years later. The forties is not a good gage of who declared themselves the best. The SEC schools wouldn't play in the NIT because they were segregated and travel certainly would have been a problem. (Rupp certainly did give a rat's ass) and he also was labeled a racist by many as he was portrayed in the movie about Texas Western. And he certainly didn't help that perception. UK didn't have it's first African-
American until '71 in Tom Payne. The tournaments had small fields. Both tournaments hosted very good programs. The NIT was still a great tournament in the fifties. It was losing some luster but the 56 NIT championship team U of L had was one of the tops in the country. The sixties was dominated by UCLA as most college basketball fans know. It certainly is a much bigger accomplishment to win a NC since the expansion to sixty four now sixty eight teams. My point is simple. U of L doesn't have to take a back seat to anybody. Their accomplishments speak for themselves. But they never have needed justification from UK fans...nor does it define their miserable lives. And one category that UK can't be to proud of....cheating scandals under Rupp and Sutton. UK is one of the few programs that received the death penalty. Then UK hires Calipari. And UK fans wonder why so many outside of the state don't respect the program and the accomplishments? You can break it down decade by decade but add the numbers up and U of L is a top ten program and has been for decades. I can't give you Western Kentucky's numbers but they are very good as well. This state has a great tradition in basketball at all levels and it doesn't all lie in the city of Lexington. What Duke has done in the last twenty five years is truly remarkable to me. Now that's something you can point a finger at in the past two decads.
Sucks being number 2 in the state doesn't it. "They had it before you, they had it during you, and they'll have it when you're gone." Al McGuire on UK tradition.

Mix1...
Fromthebleachers Wrote:Depends on what you are calling the modern era. To put it simply...since 1970U of L has been to ten final fours with three national championships. Louisville is in the top ten in NCAA tournament appearances, wins, final fours, win percentage. The Cards are twelfth in all time wins. Which is pretty good considering they started playing basketball several years later. The forties is not a good gage of who declared themselves the best. The SEC schools wouldn't play in the NIT because they were segregated and travel certainly would have been a problem. (Rupp certainly did give a rat's ass) and he also was labeled a racist by many as he was portrayed in the movie about Texas Western. And he certainly didn't help that perception. UK didn't have it's first African-
American until '71 in Tom Payne. The tournaments had small fields. Both tournaments hosted very good programs. The NIT was still a great tournament in the fifties. It was losing some luster but the 56 NIT championship team U of L had was one of the tops in the country. The sixties was dominated by UCLA as most college basketball fans know. It certainly is a much bigger accomplishment to win a NC since the expansion to sixty four now sixty eight teams. My point is simple. U of L doesn't have to take a back seat to anybody. Their accomplishments speak for themselves. But they never have needed justification from UK fans...nor does it define their miserable lives. And one category that UK can't be to proud of....cheating scandals under Rupp and Sutton. UK is one of the few programs that received the death penalty. Then UK hires Calipari. And UK fans wonder why so many outside of the state don't respect the program and the accomplishments? You can break it down decade by decade but add the numbers up and U of L is a top ten program and has been for decades. I can't give you Western Kentucky's numbers but they are very good as well. This state has a great tradition in basketball at all levels and it doesn't all lie in the city of Lexington. What Duke has done in the last twenty five years is truly remarkable to me. Now that's something you can point a finger at in the past two decads.
Louisville hired the one of the main coaches in the Shapiro scandal at Miami and kept him on the staff. It's all about winning and dollars whether it is Louisville,UK,or anywhere else. Do you think if Rick Pitino was a 500. Coach He would've survived paying for his mistress to have an abortion? Probably not but he wins so the Louisville administration and fanbase stood behind him. That's why I don't understand the sense of moral superiority coming from U of L there program is sullied with the almighty dollar and results as much as anyone else.
Or letting Chane and broken leg guy smoke pot pretty much openly. Even speeding 100 mph, miss court dates, nothing said. Goes on at all schools, but at least most hide it. And as in UNC,, known players take rides and benefits from drug dealing boosters, yet get it swept under the rug.

Mix1...
Fromthebleachers Wrote:Depends on what you are calling the modern era. To put it simply...since 1970U of L has been to ten final fours with three national championships. Louisville is in the top ten in NCAA tournament appearances, wins, final fours, win percentage. The Cards are twelfth in all time wins. Which is pretty good considering they started playing basketball several years later. The forties is not a good gage of who declared themselves the best. The SEC schools wouldn't play in the NIT because they were segregated and travel certainly would have been a problem. (Rupp certainly did give a rat's ass) and he also was labeled a racist by many as he was portrayed in the movie about Texas Western. And he certainly didn't help that perception. UK didn't have it's first African-

You're reaching to find ways to make Louisville sound better. I gave Louisville credit as a good solid program. If top ten is what you're happy with then that's fine. I think you at least have enough sense to know that UofL is not in the same sentence as UK, UCLA, UNC, Kansas, and Duke when it comes to best programs of all time.

You say the 40's isn't a good indication of who is good and who isn't, but then you say that 1956 is? When earlier you mentioned all that mattered was the modern era (1960 >>)

Louisville finished 6th in the AP Poll in 1956 despite winning the NIT because it was no longer considered prestigious. So enough of that.

Once again, Kentucky won the NIT in 46, and was runner up in 47. If anything you are starting to make Kentucky sound better and better here if that was indeed the tournament to be in during the 1940's.

Not sure how race got brought into this discussion, but Rupp/Kentucky was no different than many of the schools you have praised. You said you respect UNC & Duke so much right? Duke didn't have their first African American player until 66-67 season. UNC didn't have their first African American until the 68-69 season. So Tom Payne playing for UK in 70-71 isn't that much different from the rest of the south at the time. But I'm sure you already knew all of this.

Not gonna try to defend the cheating scandals under Rupp & Sutton. The point shaving scandal under Rupp with Beard & Groza was an embarrassment, as was the entire regime under Sutton.

Calipari has had problems with 2 players. Marcus Camby accepted benefits without Cal's knowledge and later admitted that Cal had nothing to do with it. Coach Cal was not implicated in the Marcus Camby scandal.

And Derek Rose had somebody else take the SAT for him, he was ruled eligible, was played, and then later had all of that overturned. Calipari was informed in a letter that he was not "at risk" in that investigation as well. He was never implicated in this investigation either.

But what do I know, these are all just facts and basic common sense.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Facts tend to interrupt said persons narrative. Kinda like arguing with a woman. They think they're always right and you're wrong. Damn those things called facts, damn them.

Mix1...
alfus21 Wrote:You're reaching to find ways to make Louisville sound better. I gave Louisville credit as a good solid program. If top ten is what you're happy with then that's fine. I think you at least have enough sense to know that UofL is not in the same sentence as UK, UCLA, UNC, Kansas, and Duke when it comes to best programs of all time.

You say the 40's isn't a good indication of who is good and who isn't, but then you say that 1956 is? When earlier you mentioned all that mattered was the modern era (1960 >>)

Louisville finished 6th in the AP Poll in 1956 despite winning the NIT because it was no longer considered prestigious. So enough of that.

Once again, Kentucky won the NIT in 46, and was runner up in 47. If anything you are starting to make Kentucky sound better and better here if that was indeed the tournament to be in during the 1940's.

Not sure how race got brought into this discussion, but Rupp/Kentucky was no different than many of the schools you have praised. You said you respect UNC & Duke so much right? Duke didn't have their first African American player until 66-67 season. UNC didn't have their first African American until the 68-69 season. So Tom Payne playing for UK in 70-71 isn't that much different from the rest of the south at the time. But I'm sure you already knew all of this.

Not gonna try to defend the cheating scandals under Rupp & Sutton. The point shaving scandal under Rupp with Beard & Groza was an embarrassment, as was the entire regime under Sutton.

Calipari has had problems with 2 players. Marcus Camby accepted benefits without Cal's knowledge and later admitted that Cal had nothing to do with it. Coach Cal was not implicated in the Marcus Camby scandal.

And Derek Rose had somebody else take the SAT for him, he was ruled eligible, was played, and then later had all of that overturned. Calipari was informed in a letter that he was not "at risk" in that investigation as well. He was never implicated in this investigation either.

But what do I know, these are all just facts and basic common sense.

Yea....Cal didn't know...LOL. What a load of crap. And the sad thing is...UK fans have to rationalize that because Cal wasn't "implicated", he didn't know. Maybe he didn't. But guess what....he is supposed to know. Why didn't he? He is the head coach and he allows individuals like World Wide Wes, JayZ...sports agents and shoe representatives around his program It's his job to know. He is the head man. And the NCAA changed some bylaws...the head coach will be responsible with what goes on within the program. So his "I didn't know" excuse will not work. You can rationalize and justify the man all you want. You can justify his exploitation of rules and shamelessly bring in kids who would be in the NBA and should be allowed to enter the draft. It's a joke. Student athletes, graduation rates....you know..the academic part of college....it's a joke. And you really believe Cal gets kids who would be drafted anyway to the NBA? How dumb can anyone be? He had two final fours vacated. John Chaney nearly choked the living shit out him when he was at UMass...on TV. Cal is what he is. And UK fans either ignorantly believe him or they are in denial. They have to....how can you justify him as your coach. Deep down...you know why he is there. He had a big recruiting class and could "fix" UK's BillyG mess overnight. You had good young coaches out there. Brad Stevens, Smart to name a couple. It would have taken a couple of years...but with UK fan's win right now....no matter the costs attitude...scared your idiot AD. Cal is not respected outside of this state. Do some research on World Wide Wes. A blind man can see what he is. Rupp is rolling in his grave. His players played for the name on the front of the jerseys. Not biding time until they go in the draft. If the NBA won't change the rule....which is not likely because it gives them a year to evaluate players...then the NCAA needs to get some balls and do it. It's ruining the college game. That's what was special about U of L last year. College kids winning a national championship.
I don't know one Kentucky fan older than 12 that doesn't think Cals so crooked that when dies we can't just go ahead and screw him in the ground. And with that said I still would believe him before I believe Pitino.
Push the panic button. UK did not blow out the defending national champions. The sky is falling Chicken Little.
Fromthebleachers Wrote:Yea....Cal didn't know...LOL. What a load of crap. And the sad thing is...UK fans have to rationalize that because Cal wasn't "implicated", he didn't know. Maybe he didn't. But guess what....he is supposed to know. Why didn't he? He is the head coach and he allows individuals like World Wide Wes, JayZ...sports agents and shoe representatives around his program It's his job to know. He is the head man. And the NCAA changed some bylaws...the head coach will be responsible with what goes on within the program. So his "I didn't know" excuse will not work. You can rationalize and justify the man all you want. You can justify his exploitation of rules and shamelessly bring in kids who would be in the NBA and should be allowed to enter the draft. It's a joke. Student athletes, graduation rates....you know..the academic part of college....it's a joke. And you really believe Cal gets kids who would be drafted anyway to the NBA? How dumb can anyone be? He had two final fours vacated. John Chaney nearly choked the living shit out him when he was at UMass...on TV. Cal is what he is. And UK fans either ignorantly believe him or they are in denial. They have to....how can you justify him as your coach. Deep down...you know why he is there. He had a big recruiting class and could "fix" UK's BillyG mess overnight. You had good young coaches out there. Brad Stevens, Smart to name a couple. It would have taken a couple of years...but with UK fan's win right now....no matter the costs attitude...scared your idiot AD. Cal is not respected outside of this state. Do some research on World Wide Wes. A blind man can see what he is. Rupp is rolling in his grave. His players played for the name on the front of the jerseys. Not biding time until they go in the draft. If the NBA won't change the rule....which is not likely because it gives them a year to evaluate players...then the NCAA needs to get some balls and do it. It's ruining the college game. That's what was special about U of L last year. College kids winning a national championship.

Tards fans prove again they are blind in one eye and can't see out of the other. They ignorantly drink the Pitino Kool-aid. He has no morals and continues to recruit thugs at Loserville because he can't get respectable kids to go there.
Fromthebleachers Wrote:Yea....Cal didn't know...LOL. What a load of crap. And the sad thing is...UK fans have to rationalize that because Cal wasn't "implicated", he didn't know. Maybe he didn't. But guess what....he is supposed to know. Why didn't he? He is the head coach and he allows individuals like World Wide Wes, JayZ...sports agents and shoe representatives around his program It's his job to know. He is the head man. And the NCAA changed some bylaws...the head coach will be responsible with what goes on within the program. So his "I didn't know" excuse will not work. You can rationalize and justify the man all you want. You can justify his exploitation of rules and shamelessly bring in kids who would be in the NBA and should be allowed to enter the draft. It's a joke. Student athletes, graduation rates....you know..the academic part of college....it's a joke. And you really believe Cal gets kids who would be drafted anyway to the NBA? How dumb can anyone be? He had two final fours vacated. John Chaney nearly choked the living shit out him when he was at UMass...on TV. Cal is what he is. And UK fans either ignorantly believe him or they are in denial. They have to....how can you justify him as your coach. Deep down...you know why he is there. He had a big recruiting class and could "fix" UK's BillyG mess overnight. You had good young coaches out there. Brad Stevens, Smart to name a couple. It would have taken a couple of years...but with UK fan's win right now....no matter the costs attitude...scared your idiot AD. Cal is not respected outside of this state. Do some research on World Wide Wes. A blind man can see what he is. Rupp is rolling in his grave. His players played for the name on the front of the jerseys. Not biding time until they go in the draft. If the NBA won't change the rule....which is not likely because it gives them a year to evaluate players...then the NCAA needs to get some balls and do it. It's ruining the college game. That's what was special about U of L last year. College kids winning a national championship.
That's the dumbest thing ever typed. They are all college kids.

That's what you get I guess from someone that would follow Richards moral compass

I love the envy in that post though.

Cal recruits the same kids as UNC,Duke,Arizona.kansas etc... I guess bill self and coach k shamelessly let Parker and wiggins into the program? Along with guys like Kyrie irving( only played 11 games at duke) and Xavier Henry at Kansas. Come on it's not cals rule he is on record that he wants it gone. But there isn't much he or any other coach can do about it. Cal was doing just fine at Memphis and Umass before the rule was in place and he would do just fine without it. But to only call out cal is just idiotic when the three best one and domes didn't when pick UK. Sorry the most talented players don't go to louisville it must really suck seeing all these other talented teams.

Come on! Cal was never proven to be guilty of anything! What a load of crap! He was never found liable for any incident of his past! If he was not found guilty, then HE DIDN'T DO IT!

[Image: http://static.someecards.com/someecards/...602006.png]