Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13th Region Baseball Tournament:
I love Harlan County sports as much as the next guy but you're wrong about better players playing basketball or football. The best ones are playing. And I agree that the strength of schedule needs to increase. There's one kid from HC I look for that's going to be a junior if he has a solid offseason will be one of the top in the 13th. It will be a three team race next year. I expect the 13th to be very interesting next year.
And I'm curious, since a 50th team hosted this year, that means a 51st team will host next year, say Knox Central I'm guessing?
Black Bear Cuz Wrote:I dont really know how you can say HC needs to reload?

First of all I wish all teams had as passionate a fan base as Harlan County. The truth is HC is thought of as a football school. For the baseball team or the basketball team to get on that same level it will take a regional championship. 2013 may be the year one or both break through, if not it will be time to reload again....

South will be the defending champ next year and with all they have coming back the will be the heavy favorite. That does not mean they will walk through the region. (Just ask North). Three or four teams will be in the mix at the next level and HC will be in that group.
FanofThegame12 Wrote:And I'm curious, since a 50th team hosted this year, that means a 51st team will host next year, say Knox Central I'm guessing?

Yes that it correct.
FanofThegame12 Wrote:I love Harlan County sports as much as the next guy but you're wrong about better players playing basketball or football. The best ones are playing. And I agree that the strength of schedule needs to increase. There's one kid from HC I look for that's going to be a junior if he has a solid offseason will be one of the top in the 13th. It will be a three team race next year. I expect the 13th to be very interesting next year.

I didn't say better players were playing basketball or football. I said too many good players weren't playing. Harlan County had no depth. There are seven or eight athletes who could have helped and contributed.
Sorry, it was late late night, and you're probably right. I'm sure there are several athletes who could help. I look for them to be better next year.
I see 3 or 4 kids ready to step in and play next year for HC and if they have 1 or 2 of the kids that did not play last year come back out then they could be stronger in 2013, they will miss Fields at SS for sure and Conley was a good role player that could play a few different positions and Dixon had good power and played a good first filling in for Dozier which his bat was missed in the tourney. But it is all up to the kids and working hard and getting stronger in the weight room during the offseason and working on the things they need to get better at. Look forward to the 2013 season and expect big things from the HC team. Good luck to all the kids in the 13th region and wish them the best but now it is time for football.
I believe they will have a good team next year. Very solid senior class.
FanofThegame12 Wrote:And I'm curious, since a 50th team hosted this year, that means a 51st team will host next year, say Knox Central I'm guessing?

Not so fast! Knox and Lynn Camp are the only 2 teams that have a field that qualify for a region. Camp went 0-18 and Knox was 8-27. The KC AD was very vocal about moving the basketball to the Arena because of a bad experience hosting the region. Will Knox or Camp want to host?

If not it might just be that Harlan County finally gets to host something.....
Lol Where have I heard this "HC brings everyone back and has the top pitching staff in the region so they should be the favorite" talk?

No but seriously, HC will be solid. They will need to work on their offense quite a bit. They will also miss Fields more than they let on.

NL will be ok but I just don't think McWhorter is a good coach at all.

Corbin will be average.

Bell and KC will be much better.

Middlesboro had a very talented young group this year. Their varsity started 3 freshmen and a sophomore. They won't have quite as good a record but will be ready come tourney time. Crawford, who beat HC twice should be tough on the hill next year.

SL is the heavy favorite and it will be a big upset if they go down in the regional tourney.
Never said HC pitching staff was the best in the region but now that you mention it I would put it up against anybody's in the region. They will have a solid pitching staff is what I said and their hitting will need to improve if they want to win the region. I also said that Middlesboro had some good young kids but they will have to rebuild as would anybody after losing 7 senior starters. Good luck to all these young men in the off season and hope that our district can represent good in the region tourney in 2013.
I was just messing with you bigguy. That was what all you HC fans were saying coming into this season.

The Jackets only lost 6 seniors. Chase Roark left the team around late April when his Dad died. They did a pretty good job at replacing him if you ask me as they played their best ball down the stretch.

As good a leader as the Brock kid was, I think upcoming sophomore Cole Frazier will be very ready to step in and fill his shoes. From what I've heard from some of the kids and other parents, Frazier has a ton of potential and has made great strides this season.

The only real question mark I see in terms of replacement of seniors is a 1st base. Helton was such a good player and I'm not sure the Jackets had anybody even close to him at 1st base.

I feel pretty good about the other positions.

Jake Brock, John Millett, and Tyler Yoakum, three of the top 6 batter in the lineup will all return.
So any summer ball for the other teams in the 13th
bigguy989 Wrote:So any summer ball for the other teams in the 13th

Corbin has travel teams in the 13, 14 & 15 yr old age groups, not sure about the older players.

Corbin loses 2 senior starters, should be better overall team next year, especially if some of their young pitchers continue to improve.
I know Harlan County has several kids playing travel ball this summer on various teams, an upcoming Junior is playing American Legion in Northern Kentucky I believe, last I heard, he's playing like a stud.