Poll: Who will win the 59th?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Shelby Valley
57.14%
Pikeville
30.95%
East Ridge
11.90%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who will win the 59th?
If...Then Wrote:yes indeed. That man could bench press me and u together in football gear

If I remember correctly doesn't he have like a 45" vertical?
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:If I remember correctly doesn't he have like a 45" vertical?

yes its something around that.

he also looks like an evil villan. LOL
Message for harmon and baker Play all that you are talented enough to play and have fun.......dont allow anyone to pressure you..... just realize that your High School days will be gone before you know it. You better think long and hard about quitting because when its over it will be too late to call it back.
If...Then Wrote:yes its something around that.

he also looks like an evil villan. LOL

I believe that he was leading in sacks in that arena football league for a year. But I agree with everyone else, he doesnt cut anyone any slack. It seems that those who have had the opportunity to train under him doesnt like him, but they feel like they are better players because of him.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
bball fan Wrote:Harmon and Baker are definately not playing basketball. Harmon is a solid player but has never worked on his game much. I think Williams saw this coming a long time ago so he has worked Clark and Burchett's a$$$$e$ off. He hired a strength and conditioning coach last spring which has really helped these young kids, especially the big kid Adams. Baker is an average player at best. There was no way he could start for this team so he saw the writing on the wall. I think Williams even told Baker to hit the road last summer. One thing about Bart, if they show signs of a bad attitude they will be sitting in the stands. I honestly don't think he cares if Harmon plays either, due to the fact that he is so high on his young guards! He loves those kids and basketball is their only sport so he is probably making a good long term dedision by starting them as sophomores!

I know that if I was the head coach at a school that had won 2 region titles in 33 years or so I would want the better players in the school playing basketball for me. Maybe you are right and the coach doesn't want these kids on the team. But Harmon is a hustler at whatever he does. There is no quit in that boy during practice or games for any sport. Baker loves the game and wants to do well but something is holding him back that I don't quite know what it is. Long term decision are what help teams for the future but with what he has returning and as many years as it has beeen since the last region title I would imagine that decisions for now would still mean a lot to a team and a coach who want to win now.
More Cowbell Wrote:Um, did you forget that Shelby Valley didn't lose any starters from last year? Not saying they will definitely take the crown, but that kinda shoots down your reasoning as to why Pikeville will win it.

I dont' know how to word this appropriately but the players Pikeville lost last year were not hugh contributers last year and they have some young talent that will more than compensate for the loss of those players. I just think this is Pikeville's year, if nothing else, because they have a group of players that know they can compete with any team in this region. A few years ago, they knew they couldn't compete. Last years team played even the top teams, Valley, Paintsville, Belfry, very close, even beating Belfry last year. Valley had whooped up on Pikeville for several years and when Pikeville beat Valley at Valley for the 59th district title year before last, that's when the mind set changed. Now I know you will say this is a different team and I agree it is, but all I'm saying is they have gotten a good dose of winning and being competitive and that hasl fueled a fire.
Capt. DH Wrote:I know that if I was the head coach at a school that had won 2 region titles in 33 years or so I would want the better players in the school playing basketball for me. Maybe you are right and the coach doesn't want these kids on the team. But Harmon is a hustler at whatever he does. There is no quit in that boy during practice or games for any sport. Baker loves the game and wants to do well but something is holding him back that I don't quite know what it is. Long term decision are what help teams for the future but with what he has returning and as many years as it has beeen since the last region title I would imagine that decisions for now would still mean a lot to a team and a coach who want to win now.

I know that Coach Williams wants them to play. But only if they want to. You can have some of the best players in the area and if their heart isnt in it, does it really do good for them to be out? Coaches want the best from the best. I am not saying that either doesnt do their best when they play or played however it may work out. Daniel is a heck of a player in any sport that he plays in. Baker could be a dandy player if he gets rid of a few rough edges. But if their hearts are not in it and they truly dont want to play, then everyone including Coach Williams should and I am sure would respect their decision.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
SSDD Wrote:I dont' know how to word this appropriately but the players Pikeville lost last year were not hugh contributers last year and they have some young talent that will more than compensate for the loss of those players. I just think this is Pikeville's year, if nothing else, because they have a group of players that know they can compete with any team in this region. A few years ago, they knew they couldn't compete. Last years team played even the top teams, Valley, Paintsville, Belfry, very close, even beating Belfry last year. Valley had whooped up on Pikeville for several years and when Pikeville beat Valley at Valley for the 59th district title year before last, that's when the mind set changed. Now I know you will say this is a different team and I agree it is, but all I'm saying is they have gotten a good dose of winning and being competitive and that hasl fueled a fire.

The point of my post was a rebuttal to another poster's contention that since Pikeville only lost one starter, that made them the favorite. My reply was that since Valley didn't lose anyone, that the aforementioned reasoning for putting Pikeville number 1 was flawed.

Now, I agree that Pikeville will be a strong contender for both the district and region, and the new players may be very talented, but with Valley returning every starter (as well as the top guy off the bench) they would have to be considered the early favorite. But you never know who will play better on any given night, it could be Valley's, or Pikeville's, or maybe someone else's year. We'll just have to see.

Side note, I know you said Pikeville didn't lose any major contributors from last year, but I think you sell Jacob Sword and his contributions to the team a little short. Not to mention the potential loss of Daniel Harmon (as has been reported on here by other posters).
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:I know that Coach Williams wants them to play. But only if they want to. You can have some of the best players in the area and if their heart isnt in it, does it really do good for them to be out? Coaches want the best from the best. I am not saying that either doesnt do their best when they play or played however it may work out. Daniel is a heck of a player in any sport that he plays in. Baker could be a dandy player if he gets rid of a few rough edges. But if their hearts are not in it and they truly dont want to play, then everyone including Coach Williams should and I am sure would respect their decision.

Good post! I just disagreed with the statement that the coach didn't want them to play. I know that you didn't say it but I was just saying. If their hearts aren't in it then they shouldn't play. I just enjoy watching Daniel play. Heck he is the regions #6 player or something isn't he?
Shelby VAlley wins this district hands down, caues they're just to tough to beat.
kysportsguru Wrote:Shelby VAlley wins this district hands down, caues they're just to tough to beat.

By saying the hands down part of this, I have to ask a question. What if there is one key injury in th final game of the season for SV, one player gets in foul trouble. One player is having a very bad night. Another one is in hot water with the coach and has to sit out a game, do you still think it would be "hands down"? Nothing is final and for sure in this game until the final buzzer goes off.

So basically you are saying that Shelby Valley will over look whoever they play in the district tourney? Thinking like that can get you sent home with a second place trophy.
I think it will be one of the best district games we see when Pikeville takes on Valley
Pikeville has always had a tough team, so untill proven otherwise Pikeville should be the team to beat.
launchpad4 Wrote:Pikeville has always had a tough team, so untill proven otherwise Pikeville should be the team to beat.

HAHA, take you crap somewhere else. Pikeville got beat by Valley 4 times last year, and as of now Harmon isn't playing. So whatever makes you think Pikeville will win the 59th, even with the district at Valley, must be brainwashed by the teachers at Pikeville, because as soon as people heard district was at Valley, everyone agreed on Valley taking district.
bball fan Wrote:Harmon and Baker are definately not playing basketball. Harmon is a solid player but has never worked on his game much. I think Williams saw this coming a long time ago so he has worked Clark and Burchett's a$$$$e$ off. He hired a strength and conditioning coach last spring which has really helped these young kids, especially the big kid Adams. Baker is an average player at best. There was no way he could start for this team so he saw the writing on the wall. I think Williams even told Baker to hit the road last summer. One thing about Bart, if they show signs of a bad attitude they will be sitting in the stands. I honestly don't think he cares if Harmon plays either, due to the fact that he is so high on his young guards! He loves those kids and basketball is their only sport so he is probably making a good long term dedision by starting them as sophomores!
Sounds like you know Coach Williams pretty good and have some inside information. I have also heard that Coach Williams said they didn't need Harmon. If this is the case Harmon is probably doing the smart thing by not playing because it sounds like the sophomores would be getting some of his playing time even if they didn't desrve to be on the floor.
I still believe come playoff time they would need Harmon and they would feel the effects of not having him. I think Burchett is a nice looking ballplayer but Shelby Valley's guards will eat him up this year. Clark is also a decent looking ballplayer but he will struggle with some matchups because of his lack of strength and will also struggle with Shelby Valley's guards.
Harmon is probably figuring that he doesn't want to play college basketball. He knows he has a great opportunity to play college football and baseball and wants to devote more time to those two by working more in the weight room on his speed and strength.
Elwayfan Wrote:Sounds like you know Coach Williams pretty good and have some inside information. I have also heard that Coach Williams said they didn't need Harmon. If this is the case Harmon is probably doing the smart thing by not playing because it sounds like the sophomores would be getting some of his playing time even if they didn't desrve to be on the floor.
I still believe come playoff time they would need Harmon and they would feel the effects of not having him. I think Burchett is a nice looking ballplayer but Shelby Valley's guards will eat him up this year. Clark is also a decent looking ballplayer but he will struggle with some matchups because of his lack of strength and will also struggle with Shelby Valley's guards.
Harmon is probably figuring that he doesn't want to play college basketball. He knows he has a great opportunity to play college football and baseball and wants to devote more time to those two by working more in the weight room on his speed and strength.

Harmon doesn't even want to play college football. He is aimed for baseball.
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:Harmon doesn't even want to play college football. He is aimed for baseball.
You obviously know him better than I do. I was just assuming that he would want to play f-ball in college since he's so good at it. He's a really good running back, but he's an awsome DB. He shuts everyone down.
Neither of these two sophomores (Burchett and Clark) compare to the skill set of Harmon at any sport. He does want to play college football if the right oppurtunity arises, he is also interested in college baseball. The coach is crazy to think that two sophomores can replace the regions pre-season number 6 player.
launchpad4 Wrote:Pikeville has always had a tough team, so untill proven otherwise Pikeville should be the team to beat.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!! Man, What are you smoking? SHELBY VALLEY has always had a tough team, they will stomp Pikeville into the ground everytime they play this year. :lmao: :howdy: Cool Smile
vundy33 Wrote:HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!! Man, What are you smoking? SHELBY VALLEY has always had a tough team, they will stomp Pikeville into the ground everytime they play this year. :lmao: :howdy: Cool Smile

I will agree with you to a point. At this point in time, Shelby Valley is the team to beat in the 15th. But to say they will stomp them in the ground every time they play is about as foolish as the statement that you quoted on this post. Shelby Valley may win every contest between the two teams, but I really dont think they will stomp them in the ground.
[quote=Capt. DH]Neither of these two sophomores (Burchett and Clark) compare to the skill set of Harmon at any sport. He does want to play college football if the right oppurtunity arises, he is also interested in college baseball. The coach is crazy to think that two sophomores can replace the regions pre-season number 6 player.[/quot

...but if the #6 player in the region doesn't want to be out there then the two sophomores will have to do. Harmon isn't healthy enough to play three sports and it makes sense that he not play basketball. Time will tell if his shoes can be filled, but I wouldn't count Pikeville out just because he isn't playing. Hopefully, the big center has improved and will make up for Harmon. We'll see!
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:I will agree with you to a point. At this point in time, Shelby Valley is the team to beat in the 15th. But to say they will stomp them in the ground every time they play is about as foolish as the statement that you quoted on this post. Shelby Valley may win every contest between the two teams, but I really dont think they will stomp them in the ground.

Ahh it's just my opinion...ya never know, P-ville may stomp Valley in the ground...

First off, it's ridiculous to say that Pikeville is the team to beat "until proven otherwise". What, the fact that Valley won all four matchups with the Panthers last year didn't prove that they were the better team? Or that they have won 4 of the last 6 region championships? Your statement makes it seem like you haven't even paid attention to any high school basketball in recent seasons.

vundy33 Wrote:HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!! Man, What are you smoking? SHELBY VALLEY has always had a tough team, they will stomp Pikeville into the ground everytime they play this year.

Now, I will agree that Shelby Valley is the favorite not only to win district, but to take region as well. But to say they would "stomp" Pikeville whenever they play is crazy, the Panthers are way too strong for that to happen. On the contrary, I think every game between the two will be close, less than a 10 point margin. Valley has to get the edge right now, but it is small.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:First off, it's ridiculous to say that Pikeville is the team to beat "until proven otherwise". What, the fact that Valley won all four matchups with the Panthers last year didn't prove that they were the better team? Or that they have won 4 of the last 6 region championships? Your statement makes it seem like you haven't even paid attention to any high school basketball in recent seasons.

Now, I will agree that Shelby Valley is the favorite not only to win district, but to take region as well. But to say they would "stomp" Pikeville whenever they play is crazy, the Panthers are way too strong for that to happen. On the contrary, I think every game between the two will be close, less than a 10 point margin. Valley has to get the edge right now, but it is small.

Hopefully :rockon: