Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Who will win the 59th?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I was readin the "Who will win the 15th region" thread and seen the two top runners were Pikeville and Shelby Valley, so that gave me this question who will win the 59th?
Valley
I must say until Pikeville prove otherwise, Valley is the clear favorite. However, I am expecting Pikeville to give a good fight for that crown.
I think the region finals will be a rerun of the 59th district finals. I dont think the same team will win the district and regions this year though. So it is my opinion that which ever team wins the district, the other team will win the regions. As for who will win which, toss a coin and you will have as good of odds as picking the winning team in any of these games.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I must say until Pikeville prove otherwise, Valley is the clear favorite. However, I am expecting Pikeville to give a good fight for that crown.

I would have to agree, Valley will be the favorite in both the 59th district and 15th region this year, simply because they are defending champions and didn't lose any starters. But it will be a close battle with Pikeville every time they play this year.

BTW, I see no way East Ridge wins district. Unless you predict that they lock up the #1 seed (which won't happen either), then the Warriors will have to beat both Pikeville and Valley back-to-back to win the crown. Just don't see it happening.
Valley and Pikeville is a virtual coin toss. It will be very close and could go either way. BTW did David decide what school they wanted to let host the district yet??
Panther Thunder Wrote:Valley and Pikeville is a virtual coin toss. It will be very close and could go either way. BTW did David decide what school they wanted to let host the district yet??

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I guess they do get a turn hosting. I had been thinking it was Valley's turn to host, since Pikeville had it last year and Ridge the year before, but I totally forgot about David.

This could be a pretty big decision, because if Pikeville or Valley host they will get a slight edge in a potential championship between the two. Does David have to pick one of the other three district schools, or could they pick a neutral site like Pike Central or Betsy Layne? If they have to stay in-district, my money would be on Pikeville because it's the closest to David's campus.
More Cowbell Wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I guess they do get a turn hosting. I had been thinking it was Valley's turn to host, since Pikeville had it last year and Ridge the year before, but I totally forgot about David.

This could be a pretty big decision, because if Pikeville or Valley host they will get a slight edge in a potential championship between the two. Does David have to pick one of the other three district schools, or could they pick a neutral site like Pike Central or Betsy Layne? If they have to stay in-district, my money would be on Pikeville because it's the closest to David's campus.
In my understanding I think it is supposed to be a district team, but im not positive maybe FOXSPORTS would know?
More Cowbell Wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I guess they do get a turn hosting. I had been thinking it was Valley's turn to host, since Pikeville had it last year and Ridge the year before, but I totally forgot about David.

It has to be a district school. With that in mind, I can remember back to last season when Shelby Valley tried to beat David by 100 points, 125-28 and Coach Williams would not allow his Panthers to score 100 on them, 98-45. Davids coach even mentioned it in the newspaper how Coach Williams held the ball at the end to keep it under 100. Good job in thinking ahead coach!
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:It has to be a district school. With that in mind, I can remember back to last season when Shelby Valley tried to beat David by 100 points, 125-28 and Coach Williams would not allow his Panthers to score 100 on them, 98-45. Davids coach even mentioned it in the newspaper how Coach Williams held the ball at the end to keep it under 100. Good job in thinking ahead coach!
Yea, I remember that. I was thinking about that the whole game. I was glad it wasn't a blowout like SV. Once again the brilliance of Coach W comes in handy!!
Panther Thunder Wrote:Yea, I remember that. I was thinking about that the whole game. I was glad it wasn't a blowout like SV. Once again the brilliance of Coach W comes in handy!!

Maybe it'll come in handy when they play Valley this year? Not.
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:Maybe it'll come in handy when they play Valley this year? Not.
I disagree... It could make a world of difference.. How?? Just answer this question, would you rather play at home or on the road in a hostile environment???
I agree. That little gesture of kindness may have bought them a home court advantage in the district. However, if is district, the fans will pack Pikeville's gym evenly, Valley is just 10 miles down the road.
District was at Pikeville, Valley came in there in the regular season and won, and in the tournament and won, so where district is really doesn't matter, you all had 2 times the fans we did, and we still played excellent under the pressure.
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:District was at Pikeville, Valley came in there in the regular season and won, and in the tournament and won, so where district is really doesn't matter, you all had 2 times the fans we did, and we still played excellent under the pressure.
You did not answer my question. I do not doubt that SV could come into Pikeville and get a win just the same as I don't doubt that Pikeville could go into SV and get a win. My question was where would you rather play the game? I know I'm going to get an answer like "It doesn't matter where blah blah blah...." but anyone knows you would rather play at home.
Well I'd hate to think anyone would rather play on the road, but I'm just saying Valley showed last year it didn't matter where they played. But yes, I'd say Valley would rather play at home where our Blue Crew is the best.
Valley
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:It has to be a district school. With that in mind, I can remember back to last season when Shelby Valley tried to beat David by 100 points, 125-28 and Coach Williams would not allow his Panthers to score 100 on them, 98-45. Davids coach even mentioned it in the newspaper how Coach Williams held the ball at the end to keep it under 100. Good job in thinking ahead coach!

I think they will pick Pikeville too, but not for the reasons you think. I doubt that David holds some kind of grudge against Valley, they weren't exactly the only team to blow them out last year. I don't see their coach wanting to hold the tourney at Pikeville just to give the Panthers an edge. I do think it will be at Pikeville due to simple geography, being closer to David's campus.

Side note, wherever they pick, I don't think it's fair that one school could get to host two years in a row. I didn't think it was fair when Valley got to host in Millard's place a few years ago, and I don't think it's fair now. If a school doesn't have the facilities to host district, they should be required to host at a neutral site, rather than the other way around. This would eliminate any school from having an extra advantage more often than the other district schools.
Valley!
More Cowbell Wrote:I think they will pick Pikeville too, but not for the reasons you think. I doubt that David holds some kind of grudge against Valley, they weren't exactly the only team to blow them out last year. I don't see their coach wanting to hold the tourney at Pikeville just to give the Panthers an edge. I do think it will be at Pikeville due to simple geography, being closer to David's campus.

Side note, wherever they pick, I don't think it's fair that one school could get to host two years in a row. I didn't think it was fair when Valley got to host in Millard's place a few years ago, and I don't think it's fair now. If a school doesn't have the facilities to host district, they should be required to host at a neutral site, rather than the other way around. This would eliminate any school from having an extra advantage more often than the other district schools.

I don't think geography will play into this, Shelby Valley is just 10 miles past Pikeville, maybe a whole 10 minute drive South of Pikeville, that is not much of a geography factor.
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:I don't think geography will play into this, Shelby Valley is just 10 miles past Pikeville, maybe a whole 10 minute drive South of Pikeville, that is not much of a geography factor.

Like you just said, Pikeville is 10 miles closer than Valley, which would mean an extra 20 miles of driving every night of district for the David folks if they had it at Robinson Creek. That may not sound like a huge factor, but with all else being equal, and both Valley and Pikeville having excellent facilities for hosting, geography could very well be the deciding factor.
All in all I think it will probably be at Pikeville.
Valley's gym has better seating than Pikeville's, Pikeville's is very hot in the winter, like the heater is on too high, and really, at Valley, there isn't a bad seat.
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:Valley's gym has better seating than Pikeville's, Pikeville's is very hot in the winter, like the heater is on too high, and really, at Valley, there isn't a bad seat.
True it gets very hot, but that gives it more of a pressure and intensity feel that puts a little something extra into the game. I'm not saying everyone needs to like it but I get more into the game with that kinda atmosphere.
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:Valley's gym has better seating than Pikeville's, Pikeville's is very hot in the winter, like the heater is on too high, and really, at Valley, there isn't a bad seat.

I would have to disagree with you again. To me the seating at each place is fairly equal, except that Valley's seats are newer. They each have about the same number of chair-backed reserved seats. I actually think that Pikeville's gym has a higher overall capacity, due to Valley having to cut out the middle of their upper sections when the gym was first built (to comply with fire codes).

I will also say that there isn't a bad seat at Pikeville's gym either, but I do think that there are some places in the end zone section at Valley where the view is partially obstructed by the goal.

I will agree with you on one point, and that's about the heat in Pikeville's gym. It always seems like when you have a tournament in there that packs the place, the temperature feels like about 100 degrees and can be somewhat uncomfortable.
More Cowbell Wrote:I would have to disagree with you again. To me the seating at each place is fairly equal, except that Valley's seats are newer. They each have about the same number of chair-backed reserved seats. I actually think that Pikeville's gym has a higher overall capacity, due to Valley having to cut out the middle of their upper sections when the gym was first built (to comply with fire codes).

I will also say that there isn't a bad seat at Pikeville's gym either, but I do think that there are some places in the end zone section at Valley where the view is partially obstructed by the goal.

I will agree with you on one point, and that's about the heat in Pikeville's gym. It always seems like when you have a tournament in there that packs the place, the temperature feels like about 100 degrees and can be somewhat uncomfortable.

Have you ever noticed that it is much hotter on the big games?? I think that Bart does that on purpose because when you ask him why it is so hot he just laughs and says he didn't notice. Just good ole fashion gamesmanship that adds to good rivalrys....I guess!!!
bball fan Wrote:Have you ever noticed that it is much hotter on the big games?? I think that Bart does that on purpose because when you ask him why it is so hot he just laughs and says he didn't notice. Just good ole fashion gamesmanship that adds to good rivalrys....I guess!!!

I would assume the heat affects each team equally, so it's really more an issue of fan comfort. When I go to games there, I just know to dress appropriately...
bball fan Wrote:Have you ever noticed that it is much hotter on the big games?? I think that Bart does that on purpose because when you ask him why it is so hot he just laughs and says he didn't notice. Just good ole fashion gamesmanship that adds to good rivalrys....I guess!!!

Maybe because at the bigger games, there are more people attending and with the extra body heat it just heats up quicker. The only gym that I know of that turns the heat on is Paintsville.
Pikeville will be the winner.

no your wronng. they scored over 100 cause i remember the crowd going crazy. i have a picture of the score board

but Pikeville will win the 59th because they only lost 1 starter and if Ted Honaker comes back he can replace him. But its hard to come back after a hurt shoulder
Pages: 1 2 3