Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chad Wood/Britt Craig to Harlan
I know no one has broken a rule with this thread, I wish it would be removed. Coach Donahue has earned the respect of everyone he has come in contact with. If he decides to retire then we can venture into this. No disrespect to these other guys, but Donahue is one of the best. They can only hope to earn as much as he has.

They will not get it Coaching middle school.
I am not sure who has said anything about JB and if they have they are wrong. JB is a proven coach and deserves to leave Harlan when he wants to leave.
Sounds like Harlan County is where Chad and Britt will end up.
Who are the 3 you are referring to from the county? If this rumor holds accurate, would any of them come here? Chad Wood would be an excellent coach for us if not. He has an unbelievable track record as a middle school coach. Maybe the county will recognize they need the same leadership on the "other" side of the county in 7th and 8th ball
Not sure if Coach Craig will end up coaching. I have a STRONG FEELING that coach Wood should be at HCHS. Names I have heard to replace Coach Wood is Needham Saylor and/or Joe Bill Baker. Just rumors though. We from Harlan County know how rumors get spread around. I guess what I just stated is a rumor. lol.... but I REALLY did hear this from a pretty darn good reliable source.
The real question is does JB really WANT to retire? And will his wife let him!! Lol
How come Woods and not Craig?
Quote:How come Woods and not Craig?

I'm not sure if Craig wants to continue coaching or not. If he does, and Chad were to move up, Britt would have a job, too, I would guess.
Chad Wood should be next Head Coach or Offensive Coordinator when Larkey leaves. He has dominated the middle school level and knows more offense than anyone aside from Larkey on that staff now. If Chad doesn't get the freshmen or JV next year at least, something is bad wrong
Is Craig the Defensive guy and Woods the offensive guy? There may be some other highschools looking at them if they are as good as you all are saying. If he truly knows more than anyone at the highschool they should move him soon as the season is over.
4th N. Long Wrote:Chad Wood should be next Head Coach or Offensive Coordinator when Larkey leaves. He has dominated the middle school level and knows more offense than anyone aside from Larkey on that staff now. If Chad doesn't get the freshmen or JV next year at least, something is bad wrong

I been watching this thread and have reserved comment until now. I have all the respect in the world for Chad. Coached my kid and I love him to death. With that said I heard a couple of months ago there was a major push from a certain individual to get him in if Larkey leaves. I just cannot see that happening. Chad undoubtedly could move up to a position coach and deserves the opportunity. Head man? Sorry, too much talent and experience applies if Larkey leaves.

I will say though in Harlan anything is possible. We lost a very good opportunity to land Billy Hicks...
someone at the highschool level is going to have to give them a shot. who's to say one of these two coaches may be the next big name in coaching. If woods is truly the offensive genius some have said on this thread, Give him a shot. Give woods and Craig a shot and who knows. Just my opinion.
watcher Wrote:someone at the highschool level is going to have to give them a shot. who's to say one of these two coaches may be the next big name in coaching. If woods is truly the offensive genius some have said on this thread, Give him a shot. Give woods and Craig a shot and who knows. Just my opinion.

Someone get a poll started Lots of local things take to get a coaching job sad to say :Sad04:
4th N. Long Wrote:Chad Wood should be next Head Coach or Offensive Coordinator when Larkey leaves. He has dominated the middle school level and knows more offense than anyone aside from Larkey on that staff now. If Chad doesn't get the freshmen or JV next year at least, something is bad wrong

Chad and Britt have done a tremendous job in helping build the foundation for Harlan County's success.
But to be fair to the current staff, Eddie Creech has won two JV conference championships and lost one game in two years. He's a great young coach.
I was always a big fan of Scott Caldwell on the junior high level. He had some great teams and was always very creative. He had an unbeaten freshmen team a couple of years ago and has done a good job with that program.
Most of the other guys have more of a background in defense.
Listen, I am as big as a Chad Wood fan as anybody but I would be willing to bet if you ask Chad what he would like to do he would either say that he would like to be a position coach or freshman coach if Caldwell moves up. I would be willing to bet the house on it that Chad would not say he wants to be the MAN at this point in time. Chad is a very intelligent person and he knows that he is not ready to go from head coach in jr. high to head coach in high school at an established program like Harlan County. By the way, congrats to Coach Wood and company in a great run in the middle school playoffs. Harlan County is proud of you guys. AND, we as Harlan Countians can't wait to see New Harlan, Cumberland, and Evarts 8th graders become Black Bears next year. We are here to cheer you on and you will be the group to continue this short but successful winning ways in Harlan County football. Go Black Bears!!!!