Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Chad Wood/Britt Craig to Harlan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Heard from several people this weekend that Harlan is seriously considering these two if JB leaves. Didn't want to hijack another Harlan game thread with it though...
Let't everybody take a chill pill an see if JB retire.He is still the Coach :HitWall: :HitWall: :HitWall:
I hope this I a hoax. JB bleeds Harlan High School through and through.
The way I'm hearing it is that it isn't about pushing JB out. It's contingent on JB deciding to retire. I don't think there's anyway Harlan will or should push him out. If he decides to leave, then they'll have to find a new coach. I'm just telling you what a LOT of people are saying....
Well, JB is a great coach and if he decides to step down he will do it as the winningest coach in Harlan High School history (I think). If Harlan goes after Wood then they are being smart because not only is Wood a great coach but I believe Harlan's thinking is that he will bring some kids from the county with him that are in 8th grade. Harlan's back is up against the wall in football with less than 20 kids and several seniors. I mean there has been talk of even not having a football program next year because of numbers. Bringing Wood in is a smart move on Harlan's part to bring more kids in. All they have to say is HEY, come to Harlan and you can start as a freshman or go to the county and win but wait maybe until your sophomore, junior or even senior year to play. No matter what, Chad is GREAT guy and Harlan would be smart going after him for several reasons. Just another example of the Independent when there back is up against the wall they come to the county to fix their problems. I have heard this same rumor, and I will be honest, don't know if it is true but if it is and Wood wants to go to the City then more power to him. Chad is Awesome guy and I wish him the best of luck in whatever he chooses to do. I hate to lose him and I would like for him to be ask to coach at HC as a position coach or even help with the freshman. Good luck Chad, but watch out for the reasoning for Harlan wanting you. We love you here in the county, they just want to use you in the city.
This thread cracks me up. What makes u think these 2 could lead a h.s. program? I dont think they have ever even coached as position coaches in h.s. However i would like to see wood go.He seems to know more then Larkey to hear him tell it. Go Bears!!!
I think this would be a smart move by Harlan. They need to attract some numbers and these two have ran a larger football than what Harlan has for years. I don't know why they couldn't translate some of that success to HS football.
bear claw Wrote:Well, JB is a great coach and if he decides to step down he will do it as the winningest coach in Harlan High School history (I think). If Harlan goes after Wood then they are being smart because not only is Wood a great coach but I believe Harlan's thinking is that he will bring some kids from the county with him that are in 8th grade. Harlan's back is up against the wall in football with less than 20 kids and several seniors. I mean there has been talk of even not having a football program next year because of numbers. Bringing Wood in is a smart move on Harlan's part to bring more kids in. All they have to say is HEY, come to Harlan and you can start as a freshman or go to the county and win but wait maybe until your sophomore, junior or even senior year to play. No matter what, Chad is GREAT guy and Harlan would be smart going after him for several reasons. Just another example of the Independent when there back is up against the wall they come to the county to fix their problems. I have heard this same rumor, and I will be honest, don't know if it is true but if it is and Wood wants to go to the City then more power to him. Chad is Awesome guy and I wish him the best of luck in whatever he chooses to do. I hate to lose him and I would like for him to be ask to coach at HC as a position coach or even help with the freshman. Good luck Chad, but watch out for the reasoning for Harlan wanting you. We love you here in the county, they just want to use you in the city.

LOL!Confusednicker:
Where do these two guys coach at right now? Do they do a good job?
First, JB has earned the right to stay as long as he desires. He took that program when nobody else wanted it and has been successful with very little support. I thing Chad and Britt are great guys but coaching and running a high school program versus a middle school program is night and day. First and foremost, the administration must decide that football is important and upgrade facilities. Second, you have at least 3 coachs on the Harlan County High School staff that would make an excellent head coach at the City. When Harlan City was thriving in football they had great administration support and the brought a long line of county kids in, mainly from Loyall: John Luttrell, Kelly Davenport, Jimmy Howard, Pete Dean, Michael Howard, Jamie Davis, Brian Anderson Tommy Howard, Johnny Howard to name a few. From Evarts: Darryl Howard and Kerry Vanover and many more who all played together within a four year period.
JB has earned the right to stay as long as he desires. He took that program when nobody else wanted it with little to no administrative support. As far as Chad and Britt, they are great guys. However, there is a huge difference in coaching and running a high school program versus a middle school program. My advice to them would to try and get on a solid high school staff where you can learn.

In addition, there are at least 3 very capable coaches at Harlan County that would be great for Harlan City, if interested. First: you would have to see a total commitment from the administration and community. Second: Harlan City thrived in football when in a 3-4 year period they picked up; Jimmy Howard, John Luttrell, Kelly Davenport, Pete Dean, Michael Howard, Jamie Davis, Tommy Howard, Johnny Howard, Daryl Howard, and Kerry Vanocer to name a few.

It remains to be seen but if JB is stepping aside, I would contact those 3 coachs at HC.
Not saying theres anything to it but the people from Harlan who were at the New Harlan/Hazard game this past Saturday has fueled the fire on this rumor. Maybe they just wanted to watch a football team that they have not watched once the last 10 years.
Lookin In Wrote:Not saying theres anything to it but the people from Harlan who were at the New Harlan/Hazard game this past Saturday has fueled the fire on this rumor. Maybe they just wanted to watch a football team that they have not watched once the last 10 years.

Confusednicker:
Pretty ridiculous to start a thread like this IMO.
Jb may have been great with Tj at running back but I think it was more Tj running the ball than jb coaching. What has he done after that. no run in the playoffs a couple of division runner ups in a very weak division and they are awful this year could do a lot worse than wood and Craig. They have won a lot of games recent not 20 years ago.
Footballcrazyman Wrote:Jb may have been great with Tj at running back but I think it was more Tj running the ball than jb coaching. What has he done after that. no run in the playoffs a couple of division runner ups in a very weak division and they are awful this year could do a lot worse than wood and Craig. They have won a lot of games recent not 20 years ago.

Runner up is not bad in the district pal how would you like to coach against a hazard team. :truestory:
A couple of runners up in 25 years of coaching I do not call very good. Even if they couldn't beat hazard for the district title they could have made a run in the playoffs until they play hazard but most of the time couldn't get out of the first round. Someone said he has the most wins as harlan head coach that may be true but I bet he has the most losses also. If you win 3 to 4 games a year for 25 to 30 years and all the other coaches have coached 5 to 10 years the odds are in your favor to be the all time win leader at the school that doesn't mean you are a great coach just means you have coached a lot of years with below par number of wins.
If you Kant beat hazard,you think Williamsburg,Campbellsville,pineville.Lynn camp,Berea and Jenkins might have something to say about that.NEW WANNA BE HEAD COACH :notbad:
Any chance of these two guys (Britt or Chad) moving to Harlan County High School?
Footballcrazyman Wrote:A couple of runners up in 25 years of coaching I do not call very good. Even if they couldn't beat hazard for the district title they could have made a run in the playoffs until they play hazard but most of the time couldn't get out of the first round. Someone said he has the most wins as harlan head coach that may be true but I bet he has the most losses also. If you win 3 to 4 games a year for 25 to 30 years and all the other coaches have coached 5 to 10 years the odds are in your favor to be the all time win leader at the school that doesn't mean you are a great coach just means you have coached a lot of years with below par number of wins.

I could write a book, but suffice it to says that JBs success as a coach lies with the life lessons he has taught his boys. I wouldn't trade what my boys have learned and how they have grown as men for all the championships that could have been won in his years at Harlan. If you don't bleed Green, you will never get it.
I stayed away from this discussion because it could be taken as an insult to J.B.
But just for the sake of accuracy, Harlan has won two district championships with J.B. as coach.
I haven't had a chance to figure it up since there are no records on runner-up finishes, but I'm guessing Harlan has been second in the district at least 10 times in J.B.'s tenure.
Chad and Britt will get their chance somewhere.
watcher Wrote:Chad and Britt will get their chance somewhere.

2 for 1 pretty good deal somewhere I guess Confusednicker:
Yea. Are they a package deal? Do they have to stay together?
Coach Donahue is a class act and Harlan has been lucky to have him.
JerryGarcia Wrote:This thread cracks me up. What makes u think these 2 could lead a h.s. program? I dont think they have ever even coached as position coaches in h.s. However i would like to see wood go.He seems to know more then Larkey to hear him tell it. Go Bears!!!

They could teach Coach Larkey how to play down two classes like they are doing in the middle school playoffs right now :flame::flame:
Quote:They could teach Coach Larkey how to play down two classes like they are doing in the middle school playoffs right now

Let me guess...you're from Cumberland? The numbers are right...they've been questioned...checked and rechecked...sometime, someday--you'll have to get over it.
Do these two guys still coach at the Middle School level?
Yes they do and Chad does an outstanding job. The kids love him and he loves them. I just hope that Coach Wood gets to go to the high school and coach a position or if Coach Caldwell moves up then Wood can take over Freshmen.
Oh, and by the way, good luck to Coach Wood and our future Black Bears in the State Semi-Finals. Bring us home a state championship!!! Man, when we put New Harlan, Cumberland and Evarts together next year this might be the best Freshman class yet in our short history. A LOT of talent coming to Black Bear Nation next year.
Pages: 1 2