Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Middlesboro vs Pikeville 9/27
Well I hope not. I was really expecting Pikeville to make a better showing against Belfry though. I figured Belfry would win, but I thought Pikeville had enough heart to keep them in the game.
mysonis55 Wrote:Well I hope not. I was really expecting Pikeville to make a better showing against Belfry though. I figured Belfry would win, but I thought Pikeville had enough heart to keep them in the game.

Same here 55. I hope they learn from that loss, and build from it.
mysonis55 Wrote:Well I hope not. I was really expecting Pikeville to make a better showing against Belfry though. I figured Belfry would win, but I thought Pikeville had enough heart to keep them in the game.

With respect to Pikeville there is only one 1A team who could legitimately stay withing 3 TD's of Belfry when the Pirates bring their A Game and that is Mayfield. Beechwood and Russellville could keep it competitive potentially, but I still don't see either of the staying within 4 TD's of Belfry when the Pirates are clicking.

As I have said, that Belfry loss doesn't mean a hill of beans in the grand scheme as Pikeville will not see an offense as good as Belfry's throughout the playoffs. It's also not like there is any defense in the Eastern Semi-State who would have fared better against Belfry.

As for "Not winning the State Title if they get blownout by Middlesboro", let's call it like it is.... the odds of ANY 1A team beating Mayfield is pretty slim this year, especially someone from the Eastern Semi-State.
From what I have seen of Pikeville, they definitely have the heart that any coaching staff would love to have. You have to respect that of a team. I see all to often teams that have all the talent in the world but are missing the one ingredient that I see Pikeville having.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:With respect to Pikeville there is only one 1A team who could legitimately stay withing 3 TD's of Belfry when the Pirates bring their A Game and that is Mayfield. Beechwood and Russellville could keep it competitive potentially, but I still don't see either of the staying within 4 TD's of Belfry when the Pirates are clicking.

As I have said, that Belfry loss doesn't mean a hill of beans in the grand scheme as Pikeville will not see an offense as good as Belfry's throughout the playoffs. It's also not like there is any defense in the Eastern Semi-State who would have fared better against Belfry.

As for "Not winning the State Title if they get blownout by Middlesboro", let's call it like it is.... the odds of ANY 1A team beating Mayfield is pretty slim this year, especially someone from the Eastern Semi-State.

EKUALUM05 If hazard,pikeville and fairview will just get out of williamsburg way we will beat them in the state final we do have a defense don't let the wayne co and north laurel score fool you just ask anyone of them teams about williamsburg ask pike county central if they should have score 26:Sad04::Sad04::Cheerlead
Williamsburg is good. I'd say they're the second best team in the Eastern Semi State other than the Pikeville Panthers. I think the Panthers are pretty good, however I think Middlesboro might not lose a game the rest of the year. They're clicking right now and when they come out and really play their game it's game over.

They are just as big and physical as any team in 2A and as anyone on their schedule. It's exciting to see what this team can do.
mysonis55 Wrote:If Pikeville gets blown out in this one they will not have a chance of winning a state title as many were counting on.

mysonis55 who was counting on pikeville its williamsburg year i can't wait to meet you in bowling green Confusedmoke:
64SUR Wrote:EKUALUM05 If hazard,pikeville and fairview will just get out of williamsburg way we will beat them in the state final we do have a defense don't let the wayne co and north laurel score fool you just ask anyone of them teams about williamsburg ask pike county central if they should have score 26:Sad04::Sad04::Cheerlead

With all due respect..."you are what you are" and Williamsburg is a team who is averaging allowing 28 points per game. I do think WBurg has the best defensive team of all the Eastern 1A teams, but I also think their offense isn't as proficient as those other teams as well.

Pike Central is not a very good football team.

I stand by my statement that there are 5 teams in the Eastern Semi-State who are all pretty much even teams on paper and none of them have the defense to stop Mayfield.
I got a sneaky suspicion that Pikeville may win this game.

Middlesboro hasn't really proved to me yet that they aren't a fraud.

They beat a Bell team who is the worst team in maybe Bell Co. history, other than that, they really haven't played anyone.

I will take Pikeville 42-36. (This is just a gut feeling, it could be gas!)
Middlesboro will come out with a win its going to be a hell of a game and great to watch but i think middlesboro will pull a close game @ Pikeville GO JACKETS! eberyone talks about how middlesboro beat thw wrost bell team ever but bell went down to knox county and beat them 34-12 so im guessing knox county is terrible too then huh?
Mboro_Finest Wrote:Middlesboro will come out with a win its going to be a hell of a game and great to watch but i think middlesboro will pull a close game @ Pikeville GO JACKETS! eberyone talks about how middlesboro beat thw wrost bell team ever but bell went down to knox county and beat them 34-12 so im guessing knox county is terrible too then huh?

Yes they have 3 victories over opponents with a combined 1-9 record
HSFOOTBALL Wrote:Yes they have 3 victories over opponents with a combined 1-9 record
You do realize knox beat a southwestern team by 3 that belfry beat only by 11.. lol
Where is this game played at?
bac2369 Wrote:Where is this game played at?

Pikeville.
Pikeville should win this game but Middlesboro has got the mojo and they haven't had it a while.. so they got a good shot in this one though..
Poindexter will play for sure. Edwards is questionable. Went to doctor today and was on crutches and a boot. That was the word anyways. Also, #3 Brock is questionable with shoulder injury. Either way without them two middles or has a shot
TheKingOfTheWorld Wrote:You do realize knox beat a southwestern team by 3 that belfry beat only by 11.. lol

Ohhhh ok .... well Middlesboro beat pineville by 22 who lost to paintsville by 23 who lost to pikeville by 7, so I guess Pikeville is 8 points better!
Pikeville should bounce back after last week defeat to Belfry

Pikeville takes this one @ home

Pikeville 35

Middleboro 28
For anyone who thinks this is the worst team in Bell County history you obviously have never heard of the Bell County teams before consolidation. They regularly lost to Middlesboro and Pineville and by double digits.

Middlesboro has something special. There may not be another group of athletes like this for some time. They beat Pikeville by 2+ TDs
BIG STOP, BIG STOP, BIG STOP, Pikeville needs to come up with some Big Stops on defense!
They have to come up with some three and out's or some turnover"s..
Jackets by 14.
I think this game will be one of the best played tonight.

But, I gotta go with the Jackets by 12!!
VELVET CLOSER Wrote:BIG STOP, BIG STOP, BIG STOP, Pikeville needs to come up with some Big Stops on defense!

Nailed it right there... Pikeville doesn't have the depth to leave their defense out there for long drives then expect a stop when they need it late in the game.

In addition, I wonder what Pikeville's turnover margin is the past two years against teams with winning records?
Good luck Panthers.

Pikeville 35-27
Middlesboro has a lot of athletes who can make big plays. It will be very difficult for Pikeville to contain everybody.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Nailed it right there... Pikeville doesn't have the depth to leave their defense out there for long drives then expect a stop when they need it late in the game.

In addition, I wonder what Pikeville's turnover margin is the past two years against teams with winning records?
Ask, and I try to answer. Lol.

2012 against teams with a winning or tied record, Pikeville was -3 in TO margin. Caveat is, that is totally skewed by the Belfry game in which they had 6 TO's and 2 takeaways for a net -4 in one game. On the whole season, Pikeville ended up +20 in TO margin in all games.

For 2013, versus teams with a winning or tied record, Pikeville is -5 in TO margin, again Belfry is the bugaboo, with 4 TO's in the game vs 0 takeaways. On the season, they are a net +5 on the season.

Now, those stats are the best I can do, since last year and this year, several teams have not turned in any stats to KHSAA, so I can only go by what stats are available.
VELVET CLOSER Wrote:BIG STOP, BIG STOP, BIG STOP, Pikeville needs to come up with some Big Stops on defense!

Got to agree with this. If the Panthers want to go deep in the playoffs, the defense has got to improve.
Since the start of last season Pikeville has played 9 teams with a .500 or better record and have went 3-6.

In their 3 wins (Hazard, Raceland, Paintsville) the Panthers had a +3 turnover margin.

In their 6 losses the Panthers had a -7 turnover margin with one game being a zero (Harlan) and Fairview being an outlier with a +3.

In those 9 games Pikeville's Defense allowed 4,273 yards... a whopping 474.8 per game.

Stats really don't say anything we don't know:

"Turnovers bad, ball protection good"
" Pikeville gives up a lot of yards"

Although the yardage number was very surprising to see THAT high.
Mboro has a very good offensive team. Pikeville better score a bunch if they plan to stay close.