•  Previous
  • 7(current)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top player ever from your School??
mrfootball03 Wrote:34-14 isn't what i would call destroying?
Against a Belfry team that went 8-5?.. wow

Didnt Caudill have 5 turnovers that game? Jones and Howard didnt turn the ball over!...Belfry was a 2 or 3 TD's better than that P-Burg team..That backfield was the best backfield in the state ever..the best 1,2 punch.....my '03 Cards could play with that p-burg team...
I agree with most of the Pikeville assessment here, but what about Jason Howard at QB? He led the team to at least one title!
I have a question. I'm not intending this as a debate about Belfry and transfers but it just hit me. Out of Micah Caudill, Jones, and Howard how many came from WV? If i'm not mistaken, didn't all three?
cats eye Wrote:I have a question. I'm not intending this as a debate about Belfry and transfers but it just hit me. Out of Micah Caudill, Jones, and Howard how many came from WV? If i'm not mistaken, didn't all three?

Depends on how you look at it. Jones transferred to Belfry before his junior season, Caudill came to Belfry as a freshman, and Howard started attending Pike Co. schools as a 2nd grader.

So, to answer your question. All were origianally from WV.
First of all..does it really matter where anybody came from? We're talking about the best players at a school. I'm sure every football team out there has at least one player who came from somewhere else but you never hear about it. But when somebody talks about Belfry thats all you hear about. I don't care where he came from..In my opinion Doug Howard is the best football player to play at Belfry High School. He has Belfry's career rushing mark. He played well on both sides of the ball. I can remember at least two HUGE turnovers credited to Howard on defense that either saved or won the game for Belfry. Everybody remembers when he laid the boom on Chris Todd causing him to fumble giving Belfry the chance to score the touchdown that took the '03 state championship game to overtime. Also against Prestonsburg in the playoffs in '04, Howard got an interception that sealed the game for the Pirates. Howard was always one of the team leaders in tackles every game. And he saved his best for last. Howard's last game against Owensboro Catholic for the state championship, Howard rushed for 278 yards and 3 touchdowns. David Jones is at UK because of his size, speed, athletic ability, and POTENTIAL. He was clocked as running a 4.2 40 in a Nike camp. There's only a handfull of people in the NFL that can run that fast. But he still wasn't as good a high school football player as Howard. I saw one of the posts earlier saying that Jones was at UK and Howard wasn't playing. If that automaticly makes Jones better then James Ramey is the best football player ever at Belfry..He and I think one other person that played football at Belfry made it to the NFL. So if UK makes Jones better then Howard then we just need to talk about Ramey and not mention those two again. But I don't believe that way. And so many people use the excuse that Howard played when Belfry was AA and these other players such as Caudill played when Belfry was AAA. Theoreticly, when Belfry was AAA they had more people to pick from for the football team then Belfry does now. This is what makes all the other AAA teams out there better then the AA teams. These people act like Belfry was AAA having to play against AAAA teams or something. They played and lost to teams of their same size. The Belfry teams of Howard played and won against teams of their size. You can't use the size of the school at the time as an excuse. I just believe that Doug Howard is the best football player to every play at Belfry High School.
It was a 4.3 forty. But there is still just a handfull of NFL players that fast. I didn't say anything bad about them coming from WV. I transfered from that same area in High School. Did Micah Play his freshman year at Williamson.
cats eye Wrote:It was a 4.3 forty. But there is still just a handfull of NFL players that fast. I didn't say anything bad about them coming from WV. I transfered from that same area in High School. Did Micah Play his freshman year at Williamson.

No, he played at Belfry and was originally from Burch, WV.

He never played at Williamson.
Coach Wrote:First of all..does it really matter where anybody came from? We're talking about the best players at a school. I'm sure every football team out there has at least one player who came from somewhere else but you never hear about it. But when somebody talks about Belfry thats all you hear about. I don't care where he came from..In my opinion Doug Howard is the best football player to play at Belfry High School. He has Belfry's career rushing mark. He played well on both sides of the ball. I can remember at least two HUGE turnovers credited to Howard on defense that either saved or won the game for Belfry. Everybody remembers when he laid the boom on Chris Todd causing him to fumble giving Belfry the chance to score the touchdown that took the '03 state championship game to overtime. Also against Prestonsburg in the playoffs in '04, Howard got an interception that sealed the game for the Pirates. Howard was always one of the team leaders in tackles every game. And he saved his best for last. Howard's last game against Owensboro Catholic for the state championship, Howard rushed for 278 yards and 3 touchdowns. David Jones is at UK because of his size, speed, athletic ability, and POTENTIAL. He was clocked as running a 4.2 40 in a Nike camp. There's only a handfull of people in the NFL that can run that fast. But he still wasn't as good a high school football player as Howard. I saw one of the posts earlier saying that Jones was at UK and Howard wasn't playing. If that automaticly makes Jones better then James Ramey is the best football player ever at Belfry..He and I think one other person that played football at Belfry made it to the NFL. So if UK makes Jones better then Howard then we just need to talk about Ramey and not mention those two again. But I don't believe that way. And so many people use the excuse that Howard played when Belfry was AA and these other players such as Caudill played when Belfry was AAA. Theoreticly, when Belfry was AAA they had more people to pick from for the football team then Belfry does now. This is what makes all the other AAA teams out there better then the AA teams. These people act like Belfry was AAA having to play against AAAA teams or something. They played and lost to teams of their same size. The Belfry teams of Howard played and won against teams of their size. You can't use the size of the school at the time as an excuse. I just believe that Doug Howard is the best football player to every play at Belfry High School.

I totally agree with all that you said...nice post.
PHS95 Wrote:I agree with most of the Pikeville assessment here, but what about Jason Howard at QB? He led the team to at least one title!
When youre talking about good Pikeville football players youre bound to leave someone out by accident. No disrespect intended to JH he was a dandy.
millertime Wrote:i watched all 4 games....i think belfry was the best team that year.

Hm I wouldn't go as far as saying Belfry was the best there.... No disrespect to Belfry what so ever, but IMO I think the 04' Beechwood team was a better ball club than the 04' Belfry team.... Dustin Menitry (I think that's how you spell his last name) was incredible at running back, they had another ball carrier but I can't think of his last name, I think he was injured before the semi-final game in 04'
Beechwood had players from one end of the field to the other, and I hear they didn't even dress freshman that game. They had the numbers and talent, Belfry did was well that year, but, like I said before, I think the Beechies were proably the 2nd or 3rd best team at state
FBALL Wrote:Why are all of the best players RBs or QBs?

I played against the 86 Belfry team and there was a FB/DT that I thought was one of the best players I ever lined up against. Strong as a bull and never quit.

If I lie and say I didn't think Jones was the best would you Belfry guys stop fighting with each other.
Who was this guy he was an absolute beast?
Eagle Pride 90` Wrote:Who was this guy he was an absolute beast?

I'm guessing Doug "Devil" Webb, but I'm not positive on that.
BoondockSaint Wrote:I'm guessing Doug "Devil" Webb, but I'm not positive on that.
That's him. What ever happened to that guy?
PHS95 Wrote:I agree with most of the Pikeville assessment here, but what about Jason Howard at QB? He led the team to at least one title!

He has three rings. He was starting QB on two of the three. Matt Blair was qb on the other.
from ashland.........i'll say either Jaun Thomas or arliss beach
  •  Previous
  • 7(current)