•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harlan County 2011
best of luck to the black bears next year there a great team with alot of upcoming talent from there younger players and lots of returning talent as well looks to be a promising season for the black bears !
Tucker Lewis was penciled in to be the fullback last year, I wonder if the staff will risk him on offense or leave Whitehead back there?
Patriot Wrote:Tucker Lewis was penciled in to be the fullback last year, I wonder if the staff will risk him on offense or leave Whitehead back there?

You take a risk anytime you step on the field,but i guess we will have to wait for spring practice.He is a heck of a def. player tho.:Thumbs:
I think he is way more valuable on defense, but it would be nice to watch him run the ball and block. Before his freshman season they thought about trying him at tight end, he has pretty good hands so they could try him at tight end or maybe just maybe he could catch some screen passes out of the backfield.
It's always good to talk football, esp Harlan County football. Great programs have high expectations and I'm glad to see HC's expectation level rising each year. BUT on that same token, HC fans must realize all good teams start back each season at the same level they started the year before (mentally). You don't go into a season automatically placing yourself back in the state semis. A hard-working off-season of lifting, productive spring, dedicated summer, and a good camp then we're back to another season opener. HC wants to win one game at a time, continue to get better, and then see what they can do in the district. Success breeds alot of things, most good, some bad. The only bad would be looking at next year at HC as a failure if they don't win state. Buzz is all good and stuff, but thats all it is. State Titles are very possible, including next season, at HC- but let's not get crazy with this. We all know Pulaski came into this season looking to get over the Highlands hump and then ended up not even getting there. Coach Larkey is a master-mind at keeping his players even keel and playing every game to win. I don't see the players looking ahead, but us fans must be realistic.
Patriot Wrote:Tucker Lewis was penciled in to be the fullback last year, I wonder if the staff will risk him on offense or leave Whitehead back there?

Tucker will no doubt be on both sides of the ball.
Harlan Co. should be a solid team...They have many returning starters, and some good young talent comming.
Bump!!!
I'm excited about the team will field next year. A lot of yougsters got some valuable experience this year as well as priceless lessons taught to them by the Seniors!
I was listening to Mr. Jones speak the other day...

He said "You can ride all day long, But you’ll never catch Mr. Jones"..
Not sure what he meant, but that's what he said.
Ballers Wrote:I was listening to Mr. Jones speak the other day...

Call him up if you want.
His number is 281-330-8004
Ballers Wrote:I was listening to Mr. Jones speak the other day...

Never could catch up with the Jone's. Why even try? Just do it your way!!
zaga_fan Wrote:Call him up if you want.
His number is 281-330-8004

I called to ask him about a strategy, but all I could hear in the background was..

"Still tippin on four four's"...
Talk is very cheap! Work = Wins ! Are the Bears in the weightroom? Do we have young men taking the lead as we lost some great leaders to graduation. Only time will tell! Hoping some of the work ethic of those gone has rubbed off on the ones left.
I think the the ones still around will lead. I imagine if Michael Smith tells you to something it's best if you do it!
What was the attendance the last two weeks? That is how you can tell if they listen to Michael or not? You tell us.
From what I've seen from Coach Larkey if you don't put in the effort you don't see the field and I think he has been here long enough now that everyone knows that. Should be interesting to see what the weightroom produces this coming year.
BearClaws Wrote:What was the attendance the last two weeks? That is how you can tell if they listen to Michael or not? You tell us.

There has been around 10 or so would be more but alot of upper classmen are playing basketball .but the ones thats been there are working hard .and the numbers will pick up when school starts back.and the weather has'nt helped any either...GO BLACK BEARS !!!!!NEXT STOP STATE CHAMPS !!!!!!:rockon:
STRONGER!!FASTER!!!!STRONGER !!!!FASTER!!!!DISTRICT!!!!REGION!!!!STATE!!!GRRR!!!GRRRR!!!!:redboxer::redboxer:
Some kids are working out in Evarts, Some Cumberland. HC like anyone has a hard time getting everyone there when there is no school. It just happens. The oline and most of dline were there lifting. Everyone else will show on Monday. Roads have been bad many days.
Only 10? I am surprised. Basketball is an excuse. A varsity basketball team only has around 14 for the entire team. Our numbers in football are around 60. That means around 50 should be in the weightroom. The basketball team usually consists of more skill kids so that shouldn't be a big deal. I just hope these kids are reading the papers and have a mind set that next year is going to be a cake walk to a state championship.
BearClaws Wrote:Only 10? I am surprised. Basketball is an excuse. A varsity basketball team only has around 14 for the entire team. Our numbers in football are around 60. That means around 50 should be in the weightroom. The basketball team usually consists of more skill kids so that shouldn't be a big deal. I just hope these kids are reading the papers and have a mind set that next year is going to be a cake walk to a state championship.

Dude I don't see larkey thinking this is a cake walk.as far as bball you have jv and frosh teams.and it is obvious you are looking to stir up some trouble or you are envious of the sucsess of the football team.have a great day !!:Thumbs::1::Cheerlead:1:
All 50 will be present tomorrow plus more I am sure. Christmas break makes it hard for kids when there are no buses. Snow days are hard on attendance when there are no buses.
Exactly! Hard to get kids out without buses. I'm excited to hear who comes out on Monday.
BEARSCLAWS, I assure you the blackbears will be in the weight room and getting some weights pushed around this off-season. The coaches make sure the kids are there and also that they are working hard. GO BEARS!
BearClaws Wrote:Only 10? I am surprised. Basketball is an excuse. A varsity basketball team only has around 14 for the entire team. Our numbers in football are around 60. That means around 50 should be in the weightroom. The basketball team usually consists of more skill kids so that shouldn't be a big deal. I just hope these kids are reading the papers and have a mind set that next year is going to be a cake walk to a state championship.

What makes you think this year would be any different than years 1,2,3 when the Bears have been blowing the weights wide open, has there been a coaching change no one knows about because if not why question our success? You are sounding like a trouble maker:ChairHit:
My last sentence should have read, I hope the kids are NOT reading the junk in the paper and are thinking anything will come easy next year. Not a trouble maker just wanting the success to keep rolling next year and many years to come. I am one of the biggest supporters the Bears have or will have. Remember, work=wins and it has already started! Go Bears!
you only need 11 to play football so we have 10 in the weight room, I guess we only need 1 more lifting weight to have a team. Its better than sitting behind the bench at games like basetball
This is so funny to read you guys. Can the Harlan Co. fans not get along. Come on guys, true school fans should be for all sports(Football Basketball, Baseball, track etc.). I say kids should play all sports if they want. Lets look at how many D-1 players come out of the mountains each year in all sports. I would say you can count them on one hand. Let the kids have fun and play every sport the school has if they want.
Just one comment about basketball, we get along fine here in Harlan County, and the football team had a lot to do with that. There's quite a few football players playing basketball, as long as they stay active during the winter helps a lot. I don't think any linemen are playing basketball and I think the weight room is way more important to them.
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next