Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
West Virginia CLASS AAA Title Game To Be Played Saturday
The West Virginia State Supreme Court ruled today that Kanawha County Circuit Court Judge Carrie Webster overstepped her boundaries by granting an injunction for four South Charleston football players to play in the semi finals against Brooke. The WVSSAC has made South Charleston forfeit there win. Brooke will now play Martinsburg this Saturday night at Wheeling Island Stadium. Thank god that this drama is over.
lol
they went from bad to worse... one judge says the 4 players can play and their team wins, then another judge says they shouldnt have played so they give the losing team the win. this leaves all of the players on the winning team wondering how a judge can take their win from them and give it too another team. great way to show the judicial system at work. all the while the other team thinks they are going to play one team, then get told they wont play at all now they have to play another team.

this is why the government needs to step away from sports.
You know this has to be heart breaking for the team that they took the win away from, I mean if I was a high school kid and after winning the game to take us to state they call the game off and then they go back and take the win from them and let the other team play.... well that would just crush me. I feel for the kids involved in this mess and like a poster said above keep the government out of sports.
johnnyt Wrote:they went from bad to worse... one judge says the 4 players can play and their team wins, then another judge says they shouldnt have played so they give the losing team the win. this leaves all of the players on the winning team wondering how a judge can take their win from them and give it too another team. great way to show the judicial system at work. all the while the other team thinks they are going to play one team, then get told they wont play at all now they have to play another team.

this is why the government needs to step away from sports.

I agree 100%! This situation should have been settled the Monday following Friday's game. The WV SSAC made their ruling, but the lawyer representing the four suspended players ran to court, and, well, we know the rest of the story.

The judicial system should stay out of sports. We have the commissions and associations to make the "judgments," so let's let them do it.

Look at the time, money, and tensions that were embroiled in this ridiculous situation. The whole scenario was absolutely ludicrous.
johnnyt Wrote:they went from bad to worse... one judge says the 4 players can play and their team wins, then another judge says they shouldnt have played so they give the losing team the win. this leaves all of the players on the winning team wondering how a judge can take their win from them and give it too another team.

Not what happened at all.
State Appeals judge said Circuit judge overstepped her authority... state has had cases before and have tossed them back to the WVSSAC because the courts don't mess with an organization created by the state (DoE, or whatever they call it there) which has voluntary membership and it's own rules, whuch it can break whenever and however it wants to.
(I've not seen the WV rulebook, but 1 argument was that the rule states that an ejected player is ineligible for the next regularly scheduled contest, and playoff games AREN'T RSCs... both coaches took the stand and said they had 10 RSCs this year, but they had played 13 games)

So, the kids status reverted to ineligible.
THEN the WVSSAC said SC used ineligible players against Brooke, and granted Brooke the win by forfeit.
If the SC coach had not played those 4 kids, and won, SC would still be in the finals.
Brooke with a chance to make history by losing in the semis & winning a State Championship. Anyone know if a team has ever accompished such a feat?
how funny !!!!
Bruney's now the 1st coach in WV to lose TWO playoff games in one season.