Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NewCath's inside man
Newport Central Catholic boys' basketball coach Grant Brannen may have lost a sizeable chunk of his formidable backcourt from last season, but he has a pretty good piece inside to rebuild around.

http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...2/11270343

That would be 6-foot-7, 245-pound center Jake Giesler, who is rated as the top player in the Ninth Region by the Northern Kentucky Coaches Association.

Last season, Giesler averaged 16.5 points and 10.7 rebounds per game for a team that went 19-8, blasted eventual regional champion Newport 63-38 in the 36th District championship game, and split two other games with the Wildcats before losing by just a point to Boone County in the first round of the Ninth Region Tournament.

But NewCath lost three starters off that team, including Grant Pangallo, the school's all-time assists leader.

"It worked out well last year where we put the big fella inside, fed him and then when he would get doubled he had a lot of options to kick it out to," Brannen said.

Now with junior guard Brady Hightchew the only other returning starter, Giesler may find the going a little tougher this season.

"Any time you have a 6-7 guy who averages a double-double, things are going to be centered around him," Brannen said. "We always want to pound it inside and then it will open it up for the guards from there, but now some new guys will have to step up."

Brannen had been hoping to move Giesler around a little more to other positions this season, but a torn anterior cruciate ligament suffered by 6-5 junior Evan Morse probably will change that plan.

"He started to step out on the floor a little this summer and he can knock down some shots, maybe even take a few more threes, but we want him inside most of the time," Brannen said of Giesler.

Giesler played for the Shining Stars AAU program over the summer and split time between center and power forward with Covington Catholic's Jake Thelen.

"Every big guy loves to play guard, but I'm not going to do too much out there," Giesler said. "I have a decent jumper and would like to use it, and I'd like come off the block and show I'm versatile."

Brannen doesn't want Giesler to force many shots.

"He's going to have trust his teammates," Brannen said." His average may stay around the same as last year."

Said Giesler: "The trust will be there with some of the guys and it will just take some time to figure out some others. I'm not looking force anything ever, but some shots that I might have passed up in the past I may wind up taking."

Giesler also plays left tackle and defensive end on NewCath's football team, which had a playoff game at Corbin Friday night. Also doing double duty with football are Brian Doyle and 6-10, 330-pound Jack Gruenschlaeger, who will play basketball this season for the first time since he was a freshman.

Giesler said the only time he practices basketball is Sunday nights when he goes out in his driveway to work on his moves and shoot.

"Basketball's where my heart is," said Giesler. "I can't wait to get back out there."
I can honestly say, this is one of the most enjoyable players I have ever had the privilege to coach.

I wish him well this season, but the Offensive lineman has a state title to win first.