Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian County 27 Warren Central 26 (OT)
Thunder Lips Wrote:But they didn't make it and it is a questionable call at home as the favorite.

Rogers has done a good job at Warren Central, but there are several coaches that have done just as much with less. Mark Peach at Anderson Co. and Ed Smart at Grayson Co. come to mind in 5A.

I think Warren Central beat Grayson County twice and as far as numbers, I'm not sure Central has more players than Grayson County. To bring any team that had fallen off like WC had the last 6 or 7 years to where they are now is worthy of my vote.
adopted purple Wrote:To bring any team that had fallen off like WC had the last 6 or 7 years to where they are now is worthy of my vote.

Warren Central has had 2 losing season in the past 15 years. Bill Cox's teams played in 3 regional finals in his 5 years as coach there. They had a bad year in '08. Other than that, they've been pretty good.
Thunder Lips Wrote:Warren Central has had 2 losing season in the past 15 years. Bill Cox's teams played in 3 regional finals in his 5 years as coach there. They had a bad year in '08. Other than that, they've been pretty good.

When they played in the Regional finals under Cox they were in the weakest 6A region in the state. Basically the same one Greenwood has been in the last few years. Even Greenwood beat those teams. The 5A region Warren Central is in now is the toughest in the state. Central has come a long way fast.
adopted purple Wrote:When they played in the Regional finals under Cox they were in the weakest 6A region in the state. Basically the same one Greenwood has been in the last few years. Even Greenwood beat those teams. The 5A region Warren Central is in now is the toughest in the state. Central has come a long way fast.

I agree they are in a tough region. But their playoff wins this year came against Ohio Co. (1-10) and Grayson Co. by a score of 10-8. The main reason one views this sudden resurgence is because they have defeated Bowling Green 2 years in a row. But the other side of that coin is they have lost 3 straight to Christian Co. (a team Bill Cox owned).
Thunder Lips Wrote:I agree they are in a tough region. But their playoff wins this year came against Ohio Co. (1-10) and Grayson Co. by a score of 10-8. The main reason one views this sudden resurgence is because they have defeated Bowling Green 2 years in a row. But the other side of that coin is they have lost 3 straight to Christian Co. (a team Bill Cox owned).

I get your point but, that was then and you have to admit CC was not a "Football Power" like they are now.
adopted purple Wrote:I get your point but, that was then and you have to admit CC was not a "Football Power" like they are now.
I view Warren Central right now in the same light you view Christian from '04-'07. Good, but not a "football power."
Congrats Christian Co.
Thunder Lips Wrote:I view Warren Central right now in the same light you view Christian from '04-'07. Good, but not a "football power."

Well that "Good" team almost beat Christian County and beat Bowling Green. I guess we will see the next couple of years with Warren Central. We won't count next year. I don't think they or anybody else will beat Bowling Green next year.
adopted purple Wrote:Well that "Good" team almost beat Christian County and beat Bowling Green. I guess we will see the next couple of years with Warren Central. We won't count next year. I don't think they or anybody else will beat Bowling Green next year.

"Almost?" They "almost" lost to Grayson Co. in the playoffs. History is not on the side of Warren Central being successful in the playoffs other than when playing in the big class from '03-06. Bowling Green should be strong next year, but John Hardin will be just as strong as they return just a much as Bowling Green.
congrats CC
[quote=Thunder Lips]"Almost?" They "almost" lost to Grayson Co. in the playoffs. History is not on the side of Warren Central being successful in the playoffs other than when playing in the big class from '03-06. Bowling Green should be strong next year, but John Hardin will be just as strong as they return just a much as Bowling Green.[/QUOTE]

I think you are way off on next year. BG will have 33 seniors almost all who started or platooned this year. I won't comment to your posts anymore. It's obvious you don't know Western Kentucky football and are wasting my time.:flush:
Thunder Lips Wrote:I view Warren Central right now in the same light you view Christian from '04-'07. Good, but not a "football power."

I feel this is a fair assessment. I define a football power as a team that is a threat to win the state title year in and year out. WCHS is on the upswing, but I never thought they would get by John Hardin if they got there. Christian County in 04-06 could pretty much never get out of their own way. They had the talent, but often self destructed. I love Central, but there is no way they should have won the '05 regional down 21 going into the 4th Quarter. If CCHS ran the ball literally every down there would not have been time to come back, but they instead tried to throw some, and made mistake after mistake. Look no further than the head coach to know why Christian County got owned before. And give Rogers time, and I've got a hunch you'll see him get over the hump with the Colonels.

BTW, something that people overlook, prior to 2006, Central had more regional titles than Bowling Green. So I don't buy the "history is not on their side" line. Yes, they had a very poor run of playoff appearances from 1994-2002. Yes, they then followed that in 07-08 with two bad years. Their results of the last two years do not lie, they are more than competitive in the region and look to continue that in the future. You can poke at the teams Central beat to get there, but they earned their road by going through BG and taking the district from them. And they came far closer to beating Christian County than Grayson County came to beating them. I recognize it is a difference of a point on the scoreboard. The difference in the real game is that other than a 68 yard TD run, Grayson never crossed the Dragon 35. WC held a 7 point lead with 1:30 left against CCHS and after they couldn't hold that had one play to move on, but didn't get it. That said, "almost" always means the same thing - didn't happen.
DragonFire Wrote:BTW, something that people overlook, prior to 2006, Central had more regional titles than Bowling Green.
While playing in the same class as Bowling Green?
Thunder Lips Wrote:While playing in the same class as Bowling Green?

Seriously? It invalidates titles if they're not in the same class? Before 2005, I wouldn't even have to count the '03 & '05 titles for this statement to be true.
It doesn't invalidate it at all.

Just making my point that the great majority of Centrals playoff success has come when playing in the biggest class. Looking at the KHSAA site, it looks like the Dragons have won 1 regional title other than when playing in the largest class. They have won 4 playing in the big class, correct?
Thunder Lips Wrote:It doesn't invalidate it at all.

Just making my point that the great majority of Centrals playoff success has come when playing in the biggest class. Looking at the KHSAA site, it looks like the Dragons have won 1 regional title other than when playing in the largest class. They have won 4 playing in the big class, correct?

They have won six while playing in the highest class (1986, 1988-1990, 2003, 2005). 1993 is their only one while playing in the class right below it.

The difference is that in the first four, the region they were winning was not merely WKY. It included teams like Shelby County and North Hardin when those teams were very, very good. Shelby County won the state title one of the years prior to WC winning that region, I can't remember which one. It's not exactly comparable to what people think of when they think of the WKY region in 6A now or 4A from 2003-2006. I have every reason to expect that had Warren Central been competing in 3A during those years (meaning 1986-1990), they would have been quite successful. And I think they'd have fared just fine in the region with Bowling Green from 2003-2006, though they may not have had any regional titles to show for it. I think there's a good chance they may have won it in 2003, as they were an extremely good team by the end of that year.