Poll: Who wins this 3A Semi Final Game ?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Belfry
62.64%
Somerset
37.36%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Somerset @ Belfry 11/26
By turnovers do you mean the 5 interceptions ?The fumbles seemed to work to Somerset's favor.When they fumbled in the third quarter,the RB kicked the ball out of the defenders reach and fell on it.Is that legal?
I agree they may have a size/strength advantage on the offensive line but our D line is big, strong and fast. I doubt they will rush three and drop everyone else considering Belfry Hardly passes it at all but we will play with a three man front, that is our defense 3-4. Honestly after the Breathitt game I am a little concerned about Somerset being able to stop Belfry's running game but I have seen them play much better defense against good teams. Hopefully they will be able to get things corrected this week in practice and go to Belfry with a little more fire than they brought to Breathitt.
djttrbm Wrote:By turnovers do you mean the 5 interceptions ?The fumbles seemed to work to Somerset's favor.When they fumbled in the third quarter,the RB kicked the ball out of the defenders reach and fell on it.Is that legal?

Better question, does it have any relevance in this thread?
Norm Peterson Wrote:It should be a heck of a game. Somerset is small on the defensive front but I don't know if I'd count on the Pirates having a definate strength advantage. Trey Slaughter has squatted over 600 pounds and his brother Tevin is not far behind him. It will be a definate contrast in styles. Somerset has a more balanced offense than Pike County Central and have actually rushed for more yards than they have thrown for. CAM is a tough place to play and Belfry seems to be peaking at the right time. Somerset has an experience advantage that will help. I haven't been to Belfry before but I'm looking forward to seeing their facility. Should be a great game.

Get there early and get with phs for some tailgate grub. The tailgating at Belfry is second to none and they will gladly welcome any Jumpers who are brave enough to show up.

If Belfry only rushes 3 Somerset will run all over them. I am afraid they will for the first few drives at least.

One thing that will surprise Jumpers who saw Belfry a couple seasons ago is this is not your standard issue Wishbone "run it down their throat" team. That team had Dustin May and Ivan Lee who were like two box trucks coming at them, this Belfry team is built on speed, misdirection, and creating mis-matches on the edge. Belfry will spread the field a little more and force teams from just putting 10 guys around the power holes.

The Pirates start with their Two Headed Monster of Willis and Runyon at FB (Willis is quicker and more explosive, Runyon is more powerful and tougher to bring down) and try to suck the defense in, then they will use Robinson, Pruitt, and the QB Williams thereafter. The Pirates run a lot more option than year's past as well. They won't run over you, but they will outflank you or cause you to guess.

Belfry is very young and very talented. Considering their youth a State Semi's experience has already met or surpassed most expectations, but right now their offense is firing on all cylinders and they have finally found their timing. The defense has been a work in progress all year long, but they have stepped up big time the past two weeks. Belfry's issue, as most young teams have, has been mental errors in Special Teams and penalties, as well as numerous costly fumbles that have been unforced.

Despite the youth movement, IMO the guys who will determine Belfry's fate Friday are:

#10 SR DB Josh Dixon
#56 SR DL Micah Mahon

Dixon has been unbelievable this season with his ability to be a playmaker on defense and he has emerged as one of the best DB's in the EKY.His physicality and tackling have saved Belfry big plays numerous times on defense and special teams.

Mahon is Belfry's best pass rusher and is fantastic in run support. If Manning gets to stand flat footed and pick his spots he will eat Belfry alive, Mahon has to make him move and throw on the run.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Get there early and get with phs for some tailgate grub. The tailgating at Belfry is second to none and they will gladly welcome any Jumpers who are brave enough to show up.

If Belfry only rushes 3 Somerset will run all over them. I am afraid they will for the first few drives at least.

One thing that will surprise Jumpers who saw Belfry a couple seasons ago is this is not your standard issue Wishbone "run it down their throat" team. That team had Dustin May and Ivan Lee who were like two box trucks coming at them, this Belfry team is built on speed, misdirection, and creating mis-matches on the edge. Belfry will spread the field a little more and force teams from just putting 10 guys around the power holes.

The Pirates start with their Two Headed Monster of Willis and Runyon at FB (Willis is quicker and more explosive, Runyon is more powerful and tougher to bring down) and try to suck the defense in, then they will use Robinson, Pruitt, and the QB Williams thereafter. The Pirates run a lot more option than year's past as well. They won't run over you, but they will outflank you or cause you to guess.

Belfry is very young and very talented. Considering their youth a State Semi's experience has already met or surpassed most expectations, but right now their offense is firing on all cylinders and they have finally found their timing. The defense has been a work in progress all year long, but they have stepped up big time the past two weeks. Belfry's issue, as most young teams have, has been mental errors in Special Teams and penalties, as well as numerous costly fumbles that have been unforced.

Despite the youth movement, IMO the guys who will determine Belfry's fate Friday are:

#10 SR DB Josh Dixon
#56 SR DL Micah Mahon

Dixon has been unbelievable this season with his ability to be a playmaker on defense and he has emerged as one of the best DB's in the EKY.His physicality and tackling have saved Belfry big plays numerous times on defense and special teams.

Mahon is Belfry's best pass rusher and is fantastic in run support. If Manning gets to stand flat footed and pick his spots he will eat Belfry alive, Mahon has to make him move and throw on the run.

Which side does Mahon play on, or does he move around?
I think Coach Lucas stresses on the turnover issue this week and will have them ready come Friday!! I think the Briar Jumpers come and play sound fundamental football with no mistakes and the only way they get beat is if Belfry out plays them! But, Somerset has so many weapons on both sides of the ball I don't see that happening. Good luck Jumpers!

Somerset - 35

Belfry - 21
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
RisingPower84 Wrote:[Image: http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/...df5e43.jpg]

You do know Elmer Fudd never caught that rabbit, right? :biggrin:
Somerset will take this game, margin maybe small however the Jumpers experience and age they have over Belfry will show on Friday just as it did against Brethitt, having heart helps win but age and experience mean alot in football, unfortunaltely for belfry Somerset has both
Somerset 28 Belfry 14
Norm Peterson Wrote:You do know Elmer Fudd never caught that rabbit, right? :biggrin:

Yes he did, back in 2007! :Clap:
Belfry hasn't peaked yet. Emotional game, CAM rocking , cold weather , I pick Belfry in this one.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Get there early and get with phs for some tailgate grub. The tailgating at Belfry is second to none and they will gladly welcome any Jumpers who are brave enough to show up.

#10 SR DB Josh Dixon
#56 SR DL Micah Mahon

I totally agree with you EKU...However...I think #11 Josh Francis will have to show up on defense also...he is excellent when defending the pass...when he is on his game...passes aren't completed! How about that O-line? They have to continue to open those holes and do what they do best...block! I will take Belfry 27-14..
Somerset 35 Belfry 28 will be a great game.
the best defense is a great running offensive. no more 3 and 4 and a cloud of dust at belfry but 3 and 4 and some chewed up carpet will work just fine. if belfry does that without fumbling and dixon separates the torso oops i mean ball from the receiver a couple of times, pirates roll to state 35-21
Somerset may have a close game however they have proven they have the age and experience plus the heart the over come anything Belfry puts out
however as someone posted this is the group of kids that were Freshmen when Somerset last Played Belfry. Yes Belfry won however these kids DID NOT play. They did play last season when Sheldon Clark beat Belfry to play Somerset in Semi State and yes this Belfry team did play last year, even have lost some key players. So seeing that Somerset has technically beat Belfry (using last year's outcome) Somerset will take this one based on experience with age and maturity. This group of kids know each other have played together for years and no matter how many films Belfry watch they will never be able to read the plays these kids have and have never used.

Somerset 21
Belfry 7
Pirates roll and roll and roll.

Belfry - 35

Bunnies - 20
The Set Wrote:however as someone posted this is the group of kids that were Freshmen when Somerset last Played Belfry. Yes Belfry won however these kids DID NOT play. They did play last season when Sheldon Clark beat Belfry to play Somerset in Semi State and yes this Belfry team did play last year, even have lost some key players. So seeing that Somerset has technically beat Belfry (using last year's outcome) Somerset will take this one based on experience with age and maturity. This group of kids know each other have played together for years and no matter how many films Belfry watch they will never be able to read the plays these kids have and have never used.

Somerset 21
Belfry 7

Not sure I would put much stock into that.....much like this year, Belfry and SC are two different animals.

Lets apply this logic to matchups this season. SC beat Belfry in the regular season, yet could not stop Russell. By your logic Russell should have defeated Belfry, instead Belfry dominated the Devils.

As I said, Somerset most certainly should be the favorite based on their body of work this season and the fact they are the reigning Semi-State Champion. But I feel very safe saying that the Belfry vs. Somerset matchup from 3 years ago, or the SC vs. Somerset matchup from last year will play no role in the outcome of this game.
The Set Wrote:however as someone posted this is the group of kids that were Freshmen when Somerset last Played Belfry. Yes Belfry won however these kids DID NOT play. They did play last season when Sheldon Clark beat Belfry to play Somerset in Semi State and yes this Belfry team did play last year, even have lost some key players. So seeing that Somerset has technically beat Belfry (using last year's outcome) Somerset will take this one based on experience with age and maturity. This group of kids know each other have played together for years and no matter how many films Belfry watch they will never be able to read the plays these kids have and have never used.

Somerset 21
Belfry 7

Do you honestly think that Somerset is the only team that has plays that haven't been used? What about players? Belfry has several on the sidelines that could go in and fill a position and play it as well as the one who exited. Extra kids, extra talent, extra experience.....Trickery is not a factor in the outcome of the game....

Watching film is something that every coach who is well prepared is going to do. Even Somerset's coach.... These kids (even the freshmen) have played ball together since middle school. Right now, they are clicking together and playing as one. No missed assignments..... no misreads..... no trouble figuring out what your teammates are thinkin.... work as one, think as one... win as one.... Belfry philosphy!!! We will be prepared, we will be ready....

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
At this point in the year, won-lost records and Massey ratings mean very little little. If I were Belfry, I'd rather have buckets of heart and desire and not worry about who is rated higher. Look at 3A last year. Anything can happen.
Tica Wrote:At this point in the year, won-lost records and Massey ratings mean very little little. If I were Belfry, I'd rather have buckets of heart and desire and not worry about who is rated higher. Look at 3A last year. Anything can happen.

Exactly!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
Tica Wrote:At this point in the year, won-lost records and Massey ratings mean very little little. If I were Belfry, I'd rather have buckets of heart and desire and not worry about who is rated higher. Look at 3A last year. Anything can happen.

Exactly! This is one game, and the one who scores the most points will be declared the winner.

Somerset 21
Belfry 7

EKU was too nice. If thats how you evaluate teams, or how you determine the winners of games played in the year 2010, do not apply for a coaching job anywhere.

That sounds like something my grandmother would say. Wait a minute, no she wouldn't, she'd keep her mouth shut about things she doesn't understand.
The game being played @ Cam, I got to go with Belfry by a TD.
BoondockSaint Wrote:EKU was too nice. If thats how you evaluate teams, or how you determine the winners of games played in the year 2010, do not apply for a coaching job anywhere.

That sounds like something my grandmother would say. Wait a minute, no she wouldn't, she'd keep her mouth shut about things she doesn't understand.

great post!!! i love it

Thanks for the compliment..Somerset does have buckets of heart and desire....oh wait I just saw who posted this :yawn:...Tica, you weren't complimenting Somerset for having hear and desire to over come last weeks performance and win were you? Once again you were taking a shot at us.
BoondockSaint Wrote:EKU was too nice. If thats how you evaluate teams, or how you determine the winners of games played in the year 2010, do not apply for a coaching job anywhere.

:lmao::Thumbs:
phs1986 Wrote:AH, no problem if she does decide she wants to come to a Belfry football game.... We'll deliver her right there and wrap her up in a big ole' Pirate blanket!!! Smile

Belfry will be prepared.... Both physically and mentally.... Football for the pirates at this point and time is clickin on all cylinders!!!

Thats right, she will come out singing the Fight Song... LOL
I agree with EKU. Micah and Dixon are key. They both are everywhere. They are great ball players. We have a great deal of talent, including Gibbs who had a great catch last week. Williams will keep the ball and run it himself. This game will come down to who shows up and who doesn't. You cannot predict who is going to win based on past games. We beat PC and and SC beat us. PC beat SC. Who cares. That is over. What counts now is Friday night @ CAM and one heck of a game between 2 great teams. Neither of us would be here if we didn't fight for it. Friday will be decided by who fights harder. GO BIG RED!!!!!!:redboxer::redboxer:
Seriously no one who has been a Somerset football fan more than a year can seriously think you can judge a team from even their past week's performance much less their past season. Based on that logic we should have been average last season and we should have destroyed Breathitt last Friday.