•  Previous
  • 8(current)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands 21 Johnson Central 14
congrats highlands
charlie22 Wrote:That was a great game by both teams and well coached by both coaches. I came away extremely impressed by Highlands' run defense and JC's passing offense. Ask me before the game if I thought that was going to occur and I'd have said no.

Jude remains to me a simply fantastic RB, but Highlands swarmed to the ball and tackled better than they have the entire year so far. Great job coaches and players.

Parker is a big target and moves well. On several 3rd and longs, Hall threw nice passes and Parker made great receptions.

I think some fans on both sides are wearing their tinted classes.

After stopping JC on the opening drive of the second half, Highlands was in position to really put the pressure on JC. If Highlands had scored and gone up by 21, JC would have had to pass the ball more. I realize I said earlier that JC passed the ball well in this game, but one can wonder (yet never know) if they'd have been as successful if Highlands had been looking for the pass. After the fumble return for a TD, JC was only down one score and Highlands D was forced to play run first D, which dramatically helped JC's passing game. The fumble changed not only momentum but the way Highlands played D in the second half. And it changed the way Highlands played O in the second half also. Up only one TD, Highlands could not afford to just run the ball and milk the clock. They had to pass the ball and we all know that passing the ball slows the clock.

On the other hand, JC very easily could have won this game. I don't understand why some Highlands fans don't see the game the way Mueller did as stated in the newspaper article. Given the fumble return for a TD, JC came roaring back and played extremely well. I was standing in that endzone and I don't know if the ball was tipped or knocked away (I haven't watched the tape yet); all I know is that the ball looked like it could have been caught. If JC had scored, I think Matney would have gone for two. Given how well our run defense had played, converting the 2 was not a sure thing, but .......

I wish both fans would acknowledge the close game that it was. Yes JC did benefit greatly from the fumble returned for a TD, and Highlands benefitted greatly from the dropped ball at the end of the game. Each got a break. I don't see how any one can say the better team lost or that Highlands would have dominated JC but for the fumble returned for a TD.

A tip of the hat to the JC seniors. I've watched Bratton, Hall, Ousley and the other seniors closely over the last several years. Those kids are football players that could play on my football team. I know the loss still stings and will continue to do so for quite some time. But after a while, they will find some comfort in knowing that they did every thing within their abilities to win, and that more than any thing else should be the standard to judge whether they were successful as high school football players.

And a tip of the hat to the Highlands players. I told a JC fan after last year's game that I favored JC to beat Highlands in 2010 if they matched up. The Birds don't have the overall talent of past Highlands teams; they don't always play the disciplined ball the way past Highlands teams have; but they have every bit the heart and desire to win as past Highlands teams. We've had some ugly wins and some tight wins this year, but at the end of the games, they've been wins and I'll take them, ugly or not. Keep it going. Harlan County is not going to be a push over.

To the coaches and players on both teams: thank you for allowing this fan the opportunity to watch one heck of a game. The games are not about the fans; it's about kids participating and playing hard. But I was surely a third party beneficiary of the players' efforts. Thank you.

Very classy post! :Thumbs: It has taken a few days for this to sink in and especially since today is Monday and the realization of no more football in Johnson Co. has set in. Both teams left it all on the field and it could have went either way. HHS made a few plays when they needed them and JC let a few slip away. It's sickening though to see some adults try to put the blame off on a 16yr old boy in Ross Sanor, but as many have already stated..he made several HUGE plays in that game and has been all season. I am a firm believer that in order to call yourself "state champions," you must be the best that the state has to offer...and Friday HHS prevailed as the better team. It was a shame that either team had to lose, best of luck the rest of the way. I'll be in Bowling Green in a few weeks to watch you and the Bluebirds take home another trophy.
IRISH4 Wrote:Very classy post! :Thumbs: It has taken a few days for this to sink in and especially since today is Monday and the realization of no more football in Johnson Co. has set in. Both teams left it all on the field and it could have went either way. HHS made a few plays when they needed them and JC let a few slip away. It's sickening though to see some adults try to put the blame off on a 16yr old boy in Ross Sanor, but as many have already stated..he made several HUGE plays in that game and has been all season. I am a firm believer that in order to call yourself "state champions," you must be the best that the state has to offer...and Friday HHS prevailed as the better team. It was a shame that either team had to lose, best of luck the rest of the way. I'll be in Bowling Green in a few weeks to watch you and the Bluebirds take home another trophy.

:theman:We've had those kind of Mondays, not since 2006, but over the years I can honestly say I've loathed them all. (Especially that 1997 one.) Hope the kid shakes this off. It might seem like a big deal now, but like you said, he was among the JC players who put his team in the situation where they had a chance to win. If the shoe was on the other foot and I was the one hating an end-of-season Monday, I'd be pulling for JC to win it all just like I did with Rockcastle in 2002.
Blau Vogel Wrote:It also could have been 35 - 7 at the end of regulation without the two turnovers by the Birds.

This is true. :Thumbs:
Blau Vogel Wrote:This drives me nuts too. I am a little ashamed that to a degree I am guilty of high expectations. When you grow up watching a team that for 50 years makes a state championship appearance every other year and wins a championship every third year on average, it is likely you expect a lot.

Since this year's senior class started kindergarten, they have seen the Birds travel to 8 state championship games, winning 7 with this year to be determined.

Can you imagine JC not being able to sell out ONE student bus traveling to Ft Thomas to play the Birds? It happens here. Sometimes success breeds apathy. However, what ever the downside, success is grand!

LOL, i remember when you guys came to Whitley a couple of years ago. I dont believe some of the fans even got off the charter buses. It was a pretty good game for the first quarter and i barely remember them making a sound, it was kind of awkward to see them so quiet.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:LOL, i remember when you guys came to Whitley a couple of years ago. I dont believe some of the fans even got off the charter buses. It was a pretty good game for the first quarter and i barely remember them making a sound, it was kind of awkward to see them so quiet.

Uh, they may have been "keeping warm" with "adult beverages".Confusedhh::eyeroll: Most of them got off the bus, though. I drove, ate at Sonny's, and thoroughly enjoyed the game, the atmosphere, and the crowd. There was an incident (several, in fact,) on the way home, but that involved a stop at Krystal.:biggrin:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:LOL, i remember when you guys came to Whitley a couple of years ago. I dont believe some of the fans even got off the charter buses. It was a pretty good game for the first quarter and i barely remember them making a sound, it was kind of awkward to see them so quiet.

I guess you could liken Highlands football fans to the UK fans that show up at Rupp. They don't yell and cheer a lot; they sit back and watch the players perform. Perhaps there's a sort of quiet confidence in Highlands fans.

I know there is a school of thought that thinks a loud cheering section somehow inspires their players to play better, but I'm not a part of that school. Personally, I believe either the players have it within them to do what is necessary or they don't, so no amount of cheering is going to make a difference. Maybe it's different that way at Highlands than a lot of other schools. I rarely do anything after a big play other than clap my hands.

I want to add that the folks at Whitley were extremely gracious hosts when we played there in 08. The administration was great to work with and very accommodating. The Whitley fans that I talked with throughout the game were very nice.
I think student body support is a problem at a lot of schools in Kentucky. Statewide. They will turn out for a rivalry game but then you don't see them for the rest of the season. Most fans who go to the games are over 30 and are usually alumni.
  •  Previous
  • 8(current)