Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harlan County Coal Miner's Memorial Stadium
Not my cup of tea as far as watching football goes. But it is great for a team to get updates facilities anytime they can.
That stadium look better than most NAIA college football stadiums.
Patriot Wrote:I thought it was neat to have a visitors press box, but in phase 1 of the building project there will not be a press box on the home side. Phase 2 plans for building on to the home side facilities, weight rooms, coaching offices, etc. And the press box will be place on it. So when completed the visitors will have their own press box.

Looking at the drawing the home press box is much larger than the visitor side. Are they planning on doing something special to it like box seats (ala Russell and Trinity)?

Impressive facility.

My only other question/complaints:

1. I understand the logic, but personally I prefer not having a track around the football field. Very minor complaint there, but if it is what makes sense economically and logistically I am all for it.

2. I see gravel parking next to the stadium, but it seems very limited. Will there be parking across the river? Harlan County is becoming known for their tailgaiting, will this be limited to a gravel lot?

3. What are the elevations? Will the stadium be in a flood plain? Will the homeside be set in a bowl like Belfry's stadium?

4. Where are the concession stands?
So when does the work start on this?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Looking at the drawing the home press box is much larger than the visitor side. Are they planning on doing something special to it like box seats (ala Russell and Trinity)?

Impressive facility.

My only other question/complaints:

1. I understand the logic, but personally I prefer not having a track around the football field. Very minor complaint there, but if it is what makes sense economically and logistically I am all for it.

2. I see gravel parking next to the stadium, but it seems very limited. Will there be parking across the river? Harlan County is becoming known for their tailgaiting, will this be limited to a gravel lot?

3. What are the elevations? Will the stadium be in a flood plain? Will the homeside be set in a bowl like Belfry's stadium?

4. Where are the concession stands?

There is no where else nearby flat enough for a track, they are building currently state of the art softball/baseball fields as well.

The stadium is not located in a flood plain.

Parking may not exist at the stadium period. there are several thousand parking spots at the high school and there is a beatiful stone bridge built to walk across the river from the high school, you can throw a rock from the school to the field across the river.

you are right the homeside will have a huge college pressbox and give the visitors one also. The home side will have coaches offices, wieght rooms and one of the biggest indoor football facilties in Kentucky. The place will eventualy hold 5000+ when all phases are complete with area to roam and cvovered patios like belfry has.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Looking at the drawing the home press box is much larger than the visitor side. Are they planning on doing something special to it like box seats (ala Russell and Trinity)?

I have heard they will mostly all be chair back and where it says HC wil be black ones to make it stick out from the red ones.
^^^

Sounds awesome... can't wait to see pictures!
This is great. Not trying to knock on any of them because I loved all of the old Harlan Co. schools, but after playing on Cumberland, Cawood, and Evart's fields when I was younger I am truly excited to see an upgrade of this magnitude taking place for these kids. That's also great to acknowledge all of the coal miner's that have been so important to all of these mountain communities. Great looking place for a program that definitely deserves it!
All indications seem like it is going to resemble this stadium down here in Georgia quite a bit... This school also built their stadium in phases.

http://www.graysonramsfootball.com/index...ge=stadium
EKUAlum05 Wrote:All indications seem like it is going to resemble this stadium down here in Georgia quite a bit... This school also built their stadium in phases.

http://www.graysonramsfootball.com/index...ge=stadium

except home pressbox will much larger and taller and indoor facility will be much larger and that pic is of a 6 lane track, Harlan Co. will have a 8 lane track. There will be two phases at Harlan Co. Ive also heard it will have a scoreboard that will blow any other out of the waterConfusedhh:
As a coal miners daughter I think this is wonderful. I no longer live in the area but my family still does and this is a wonderful thing for the area
hope they have a better locker room then they put us in last year
kenorgia Wrote:hope they have a better locker room then they put us in last year

:thatsfunn:thatsfunn:thatsfunn

do not worry it will be the best Kentucky has to offer.:Thumbs:

What was ur school?
i just hope its smoke free.seems harlan countians of all ages burn em from start to finish
Harlan county is a historic place with a solid athletic tradition where the sons and daughters of coal miners have competed well and represented that county for many years. It is fitting that with a new, beautiful school they would be blessed with such a complex.

The design is awesome. I pass by this school as I travel home to see my mother often. I look very forward to stopping by there to see it live!
Football1 Wrote:Harlan county is a historic place with a solid athletic tradition where the sons and daughters of coal miners have competed well and represented that county for many years. It is fitting that with a new, beautiful school they would be blessed with such a complex.

The design is awesome. I pass by this school as I travel home to see my mother often. I look very forward to stopping by there to see it live!

Let us know when you are coming and we will feed you!!!

I am currently in the process in picking out our tailgating spot!!!
Long time coming. Can't wait till the Bears take the turf next year!
I think this is going to be one of the nicest field in the state. I wish the bears could got a jumbo-tran with this great setup.
when do they start construction?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
This is a great facility for HC. I look forward to many generations of Black Bears to be able to play their smashmouth football in this wonderful atmosphere.
Nice
Our children deserve the best and finally they are getting it. Thanks to all who support our children in Harlan County. Go Black Bears!!