Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are some of the best jobs in your town?
What are some of the best jobs in your town that everybody says "I wish I could get on at___"

Being from Whitley County I have lived in Williamsburg and Corbin, Mostly Corbin, where everyone has always talked about working for the railroad. CSX seems to be a job that a lot of people want around here, Pepsi is another one although its pay is not to good, and over the last few years there have been several companies and businesses that have moved in that are starting to take over as the jobs to have, these companies will probably be the talk of the next generation.
Just curious to see what jobs in other communities lead the way in the "I want" column.
Hazard
Several Coal Mines
ICG
Blue Diamond
Teco
Leeco
Pine Branch
a few smaller ones
Hospital
SYKES
Bank of America Account - 8.75/hr after 9 Months
AT&T Account - 10.50/hr after p months
both offer unlimited OT
American Woodmark
Whayne Supply

That's about it for the places that have room for a lot of people.
There used to be a sewing factory that shut down.
In Jenkins? Uhhhhhhh........hmmmm......

I'll get back to you on that one, lol..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
In Russell County, I hear people talk about Fruit of the Loom a lot. Also, I am sure there are some good government jobs with the Lake Cumberland State Park and the Fish Hatchery-thing.

(I have only lived here for about 6 months)
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:What are some of the best jobs in your town that everybody says "I wish I could get on at___"

Being from Whitley County I have lived in Williamsburg and Corbin, Mostly Corbin, where everyone has always talked about working for the railroad. CSX seems to be a job that a lot of people want around here, Pepsi is another one although its pay is not to good, and over the last few years there have been several companies and businesses that have moved in that are starting to take over as the jobs to have, these companies will probably be the talk of the next generation.
Just curious to see what jobs in other communities lead the way in the "I want" column.

Back in 1998 I drove to Cincinnati and took a test to get on at CSX. They had a lot of openings in Toledo, OH and Chicago, IL. We were told that they had trains sitting because they didn't have people to operate them. Anyone that was willing to relocate was guaranteed a job. That was a long time ago though.
zaga_fan Wrote:Hazard
Several Coal Mines
ICG
Blue Diamond
Teco
Leeco
Pine Branch
a few smaller ones
Hospital
SYKES
both offer unlimited OT
American Woodmark
Whayne Supply

Coal mine jobs are really prevalent around here as well especially in Bell Co.
Whayne Supply is a hug business right here in the middle of Corbin but its extremely hard to get on there.
Westside Wrote:Back in 1998 I drove to Cincinnati and took a test to get on at CSX. They had a lot of openings in Toledo, OH and Chicago, IL. We were told that they had trains sitting because they didn't have people to operate them. Anyone that was willing to relocate was guaranteed a job. That was a long time ago though.

Yea there was a time when they would hire like crazy because people would get the job and train then start doing it and realize they couldn't handle it. With modern technology the only way you can get a job there is to apply online and hope you get an email back.
The railroad is what kept this town going way back when, heck, my grandpa worked for the L&N when it was here long before CSX and long before me haha.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Yea there was a time when they would hire like crazy because people would get the job and train then start doing it and realize they couldn't handle it. With modern technology the only way you can get a job there is to apply online and hope you get an email back.
The railroad is what kept this town going way back when, heck, my grandpa worked for the L&N when it was here long before CSX and long before me haha.

Mine did as well. L&N gave a LOT of people jobs in Rockcastle as well.
zaga_fan Wrote:Hazard
Several Coal Mines
ICG
Blue Diamond
Teco
Leeco
Pine Branch
a few smaller ones
Hospital
SYKES
both offer unlimited OT
American Woodmark
Whayne Supply

Sykes? Really? That's a horrible job. Sitting on your *** all day, talking on the phone. I'm pretty sure it's exactly like ACS in Pikeville, right?
LWC Wrote:Mine did as well. L&N gave a LOT of people jobs in Rockcastle as well.

I dont think anybody would have turned that job down back in the day, its what kept food on the table for a bunch of families around here.
vundy33 Wrote:Sykes? Really? That's a horrible job. Sitting on your *** all day, talking on the phone. I'm pretty sure it's exactly like ACS in Pikeville, right?

What is ACS, is it a contact center and what does it pay?
MVP2 Wrote:What is ACS, is it a contact center and what does it pay?

Yeah, it's a contact center.

My nephew worked at the one in Pikeville and took calls from Sprint customers.

Overtime pay is good from what I hear and I believe you get commission.
From what I've heard, Blackcat is spot on.
Appalachian Wireless is a good company to work for. Been here 6 years and don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon.
vundy33 Wrote:Sykes? Really? That's a horrible job. Sitting on your *** all day, talking on the phone. I'm pretty sure it's exactly like ACS in Pikeville, right?

I work at SYKES and Im probably on the phone maybe an hour a day.
If your a technical person its a good job.
The hospital has to be the best job. Considering the benefits and extras that the hospital hand over, they have a such an amazing satisfaction rate from the employees that can not really be matched in our area.
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]