Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covington Catholic/Ashland Updates
If Highlands wins the title again with that 1 loss, my thinking is "oh well, four titles in a row and 2 losses in 60 games isn't too too bad".
sstack Wrote:I would not brag about beating a Montgomery team.
He didn't. He was just refuting the claim that if Ashland had beaten JC, the Golden Eagles would have been playing at CovCath today. That would not have happened because JC would have been no worse than the #2 seed and would have hosted Dixie.

JC dominated Ashland. The Tomcats had under 30 yards rushing and intercepted three passes, while piling up well over 400 yards rushing. Yes, as Stardust said, JC would have been in real trouble had they had a few less long TD runs and not intercepted any Tomcat passes. In that sense, it was a very close call.:eyeroll:
Stardust Wrote:Lol, yeah, and what happened down the stretch when Ashland pulled to within 35-26. It took 3 INT's that game to keep Ashland from "Shocking the World" didn't it???? If not for JJ's 61 yard TD and 70 yard TD a few minutes later, to start the game, you would have enjoyed the trip to Cov Cath and a beautiful Saturday afternoon in November!

Were you at that game?:yawn:

That is what I figured!:please:
Apparently, Ashland's defense is about as weak against the pass as it is against the run.
Eagle Eye Wrote:Were you at that game?:yawn:

That is what I figured!:please:

Lol, really. So what I posted is inaccurate. Please correct any part of my post that is wrong? Can you?

No, and that's not what I figured, but the fact of what I know!
Stardust Wrote:I'm no Highlands fan, but it must be pretty hard on those guy's that are haters to see a team finally lose after, what 37-0 record. I sure wish my team had a run like that. Hmm, you too???

there's no haters here have great deal of respect for that team last year they were the better team they our alot deeper on the bench then we our
Look, I have no problem with Highlands and I'm glad that they accomplished that streak. It was phenominal and brought a lot of attention throughout the state and country (with a #2 ranking last season). They are very talented year in and year out, great feeder programs, it's a program that is second to none. So if you can't tell by my feelings, I think they are the premier program in the state. I'm just referring to some of the arrogance by the bluebird faithful...not all.

As for you Wideleft, I know that Cov Cath has improved leaps and bounds this season...the past two years when they took the trip to JC and were beat, everyone was out for blood. It looks like that it will be JC/Cov. Cath next week in Paintsville, and it should be a good game...the strengths of both teams match up with the opposing teams weaknesses so it's a toss up. I just think teams need to be weary of overlooking opponents, it's either win or go home. Highlands did get a scare in '08 in the first round with Bryan Station and won on a last second TD or that streak would've only been at 24.
Putting the bickering aside, if you are a JC fan, you have to at least be a little worried given your performance on the defensive side of the ball this year. You can score all the points you want but your defense has to come up with some stops if you want to win the game. Agreed?
CovCath scores 15 seconds into the 2nd half!

CovCath 36
Ashland 6

Early 3rd Quarter.
Emmit Brown Wrote:Look, I have no problem with Highlands and I'm glad that they accomplished that streak. It was phenominal and brought a lot of attention throughout the state and country (with a #2 ranking last season). They are very talented year in and year out, great feeder programs, it's a program that is second to none. So if you can't tell by my feelings, I think they are the premier program in the state. I'm just referring to some of the arrogance by the bluebird faithful...not all.

As for you Wideleft, I know that Cov Cath has improved leaps and bounds this season...the past two years when they took the trip to JC and were beat, everyone was out for blood. It looks like that it will be JC/Cov. Cath next week in Paintsville, and it should be a good game...the strengths of both teams match up with the opposing teams weaknesses so it's a toss up. I just think teams need to be weary of overlooking opponents, it's either win or go home. Highlands did get a scare in '08 in the first round with Bryan Station and won on a last second TD or that streak would've only been at 24.

Good post. Agree with everything you say. Luckily I can afford to overlook Dixie since I'm sitting that one out. I feel secure in my feelings that the team will take care of business and not overlook anyone.
After an Ashland punt, CovCath returns it to the Ashland 39.

After a good run, CovCath now has a first down at the Tomcat's 28 yard-line.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:He didn't. He was just refuting the claim that if Ashland had beaten JC, the Golden Eagles would have been playing at CovCath today. That would not have happened because JC would have been no worse than the #2 seed and would have hosted Dixie.

JC dominated Ashland. The Tomcats had under 30 yards rushing and intercepted three passes, while piling up well over 400 yards rushing. Yes, as Stardust said, JC would have been in real trouble had they had a few less long TD runs and not intercepted any Tomcat passes. In that sense, it was a very close call.:eyeroll:

Hoot, the game looked it was over at the 7:21 mark, right? But it was 21-14 after Ashland had TD passes to Hart and Whetsel, right. I respect you a ton, but don't make this wound like it was in the bag. I look at it this way, JC racked up 400 yards, held the opposition to 40 on the ground, and needed an INT with just under 2:00 to play to avoid Ashland from tying up the score????

I stand corrected, not tie the score but get to within 1.
After an excellent pass, CovCath is down to the 12.
Slayball runs in it for the TD!

CovCath 43
Ashland 6

5:40 3rd Quarter.
I think you'll see the back-ups in now after the last score. No need for the CovCath starters to be in there right now given the score. Time to sit your players for next week against Johnson Central.
BaseballIsLife Wrote:Slayball runs in it for the TD!

CovCath 43
Ashland 6

5:40 3rd Quarter.

Ouch, I don't think Ashland has been dominated like this since.....well, I guess they just haven't been dominated like this:biggrin:
Stardust Wrote:Lol, really. So what I posted is inaccurate. Please correct any part of my post that is wrong? Can you?

No, and that's not what I figured, but the fact of what I know!

It could have been a lot worse!!! Jc started throwing the ball and trying different sets. We scored 3 touchdowns and ran 5 plays. If you are familiar with that team from Highlands ask them. They sat near me!!! They were asking why did matney change his plays. Why doesn't he just run it down their throat? Maybe he knew they were there and had shown them enough. THAT IS A FACT!!:Clap:

Is that correct enough for ya?????:Thumbs:
CovCath showing a little mercy now for Ashland. The subs are in.

Ashland driving.
Eagle Eye Wrote:It could have been a lot worse!!! Jc started throwing the ball and trying different sets. We scored 3 touchdowns and ran 5 plays. If you are familiar with that team from Highlands ask them. They sat near me!!! They were asking why did matney change his plays. Why doesn't he just run it down their throat? Maybe he knew they were there and had shown them enough. THAT IS A FACT!!:Clap:

Is that correct enough for ya?????:Thumbs:

Then I stand corrected. It had nothing to do with Ashland scoring points with the JC One's still in the game? And thank god for the Tomcats that JC stopped running the football after they gained 417 rushing yards. It just sounds like it was poor coaching that allowed Ashland back in the game. Thanks for helping me understand the facts a little better :Thumbs:
TD Ashland!
Salow with the TD catch.

The 2-point conversion fails.

CovCath 43
Ashland 12

1:09 3rd Quarter.
Covington Catholic 43
Ashland 12

End of 3rd Quarter.
CovCath punts for the first time today.
^ I would not be surprised to see the CCH JV score on the Tomcats. I was extremely impressed with the JV teams size and athletecism.
Stardust Wrote:Hoot, the game looked it was over at the 7:21 mark, right? But it was 21-14 after Ashland had TD passes to Hart and Whetsel, right. I respect you a ton, but don't make this wound like it was in the bag. I look at it this way, JC racked up 400 yards, held the opposition to 40 on the ground, and needed an INT with just under 2:00 to play to avoid Ashland from tying up the score????

I stand corrected, not tie the score but get to within 1.
The interceptions happened for a reason. Ashland tried and was completely unsuccessful running the football on Johnson Central. You can take a few key plays out of almost any game and show that it could have been a squeaker had those plays not been made.
Ashland fumbles and CovCath recovers.

1st and Goal at the Ashland 7.
Stardust Wrote:Then I stand corrected. It had nothing to do with Ashland scoring points with the JC One's still in the game? And thank god for the Tomcats that JC stopped running the football after they gained 417 rushing yards. It just sounds like it was poor coaching that allowed Ashland back in the game. Thanks for helping me understand the facts a little better :Thumbs:

Were you there?? I thought I saw you, nope!!! Wasn't you!!! I will spell it out to see if you can understand, ok? Should have ran it down their throats but some who think they know everything(do you know anyone like that?):worthy: said they had to pass to be contenders, OK! Some:eyeroll: of their ones were in on defense. JC tried to give their ones a breather, which is what happens when a kid is tired, OK? Poor coaching, smart coaching, not wanting to show coaching, it really doesn't matter, OK? If this is still confusing maybe I can figure another way to show you, OK?
:please:
Hoot Gibson Wrote:The interceptions happened for a reason. Ashland tried and was completely unsuccessful running the football on Johnson Central. You can take a few key plays out of almost any game and show that it could have been a squeaker had those plays not been made.

I't not sure what the success of running the football means. Ashland has relied on the arm of Hunter all season. Trust me, I get it. I'm the fan of a 6A football team that does not get more than 55 yards rushing per game. I'm pretty confident that after every single week, the opposition always say's that they held us on the ground, and forced INT's. Well, that's ALL we do, so it's not a completely accurate account of what really happened!
Stardust Wrote:Ouch, I don't think Ashland has been dominated like this since.....well, I guess they just haven't been dominated like this:biggrin:

Actually it would have been earlier this season when Ironton beat them in every way that a team could get beat.
Stardust Wrote:I't not sure what the success of running the football means. Ashland has relied on the arm of Hunter all season. Trust me, I get it. I'm the fan of a 6A football team that does not get more than 55 yards rushing per game. I'm pretty confident that after every single week, the opposition always say's that they held us on the ground, and forced INT's. Well, that's ALL we do, so it's not a completely accurate account of what really happened!
Ashland has not run a one-dimensional offense this season. For example they rushed for more than 300 yards in consecutive games against Belfry and Russell earlier in the season. Johnson Central forced them away from their running game because they could not execute it against JC's defense. Ashland was successful when it managed to run the ball and they were hammered when their rushing attack was snuffed. The Tomcats could not stop Jude in the first quarter and they could not stop him in the 4th quarter either and J. K. Hall also had a big game. The win was no fluke and JC was never in any danger of losing it.

Johnson Central has played much better defenses and much better offenses than Covington Catholic will bring to town. I expect the game next week to be more competitive than last season's match-up but Johnson Central should be the favorite to get its third straight win against CovCath on its home field.
This is classic!!! A CovCath/Ashland update thread and an argument about JC and Ashland's rivalry breaks out! I guess the game is a blowout and others have to resort some other entertainment.