Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How far can P'burg go in 2A Playoffs??
IMO i think P'burg has as good a shot as anyone in 2A to win the State Title, but i've not seen all teams play nor am i familiar with all the 2A teams. And of course i have a biased opinion. What are some of your thoughts??
I just hope NCC loses.
Similar to last year. Should progress to Regional Championship game, most likely against Corbin. That game would be played at Corbin, so that is a toss up. I think Prestonsburg matches up well with Corbin, and if the Blackcats can win the Regional Championship, then the State Semi would be played at home. It would be nice to finally make Newport Catholic or Louisville DeSales have to travel to EKY to play.

NCC is loaded and is most likely the favorite to make it to the Championship game. However, if the Blackcats can make it to that game, and NCC/DeSales has to come to OUR field to play...anything can happen.

Prestonsburg won't be the favorite to make it to Bowling Green, but it is not out of the question by any means.
By virtue of its size, experience and coaching, undefeated Murray cannot be excluded in 2A.
Prestonsburg has a very good group of young men playing this year, and they also have extremely good coaching. So one would have to conclude that they will do well. As we all know, when the momentum is going in ones favor, good things can, and will happen.
I think if the Cats can beat Corbin at Corbin they will make it to Bowling Green. If Newport Central Catholic or DeSales has to come to Pburg the Cats beat either one. Its hard to ride three hours on a bus then get off and be in the mood and have the energy to play a very emotional game. I believe if the Pburg booster had raised money the last few seasons to send them down a day before Pburg would be holding one if not two state title trophies.
I think we have a shot, but we don't have the depth that NewCath or DeSales has, even if we make it to the state-semi's. But by them traveling to EKY could make a difference, but I doubt it. NewCath traveled to Belfry a few years ago and won that game 7-6, I believe. I understand that wasn't a playoff game, but it was a PCB game and that was when Belfry was a favorite to win 3A state. Therefore, I don't think we would be favored against NCC or DeSales.

These group of young boys can do it, but let's hope they can stay injury free and mistake free throughout the playoffs.
Yes we must me injury free because we have no depth.
P-burg should make it to final-4
NCC to run the table
State semi-finals vs. NCC. The buck stops there.
Corbin and P-burg will be an interesting match up this year.
As far as adam crisp can take them!!!!
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I think we have a shot, but we don't have the depth that NewCath or DeSales has, even if we make it to the state-semi's. But by them traveling to EKY could make a difference, but I doubt it. NewCath traveled to Belfry a few years ago and won that game 7-6, I believe. I understand that wasn't a playoff game, but it was a PCB game and that was when Belfry was a favorite to win 3A state. Therefore, I don't think we would be favored against NCC or DeSales.

These group of young boys can do it, but let's hope they can stay injury free and mistake free throughout the playoffs.
No Belfry won that game...
The Blackcat's will defeat Corbin for the regional championship only to fall at home in the state semi finals to NCC. P-burg is a very solid team but they are too one dimensional on offense and they don't have enough depth to play with NCC for an entire game.
Cat Daddy Wrote:The Blackcat's will defeat Corbin for the regional championship only to fall at home in the state semi finals to NCC. P-burg is a very solid team but they are too one dimensional on offense and they don't have enough depth to play with NCC for an entire game.

I don't think we're one dimensional. Our defense just shoots themselves in the foot with mental mistakes. Like trying to strip the ball instead of just tackling. But I will say that if you can spread our defense out and play turnover free football you'll likely beat us.

I don't think I've ever seen us all that fatigued late in close/emotional games. As long as our starters stay healthy, we will be alright. We do have more depth than last years team though.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I don't think we're one dimensional. Our defense just shoots themselves in the foot with mental mistakes. Like trying to strip the ball instead of just tackling. But I will say that if you can spread our defense out and play turnover free football you'll likely beat us.

I don't think I've ever seen us all that fatigued late in close/emotional games. As long as our starters stay healthy, we will be alright. We do have more depth than last years team though.

When I say one dimensional I am not refering to your defense, I am refering to your offense. Against sub par teams P-burg has had success at running the football but it just seems to me when P-burg is in a close game they neglect to run the football and rely too much on the pass. I'm in now way saying they can't run the football against a good defensive team but they just choose not to for some reason. If you remember correctly last year this happened against Desales in the State Semis. The bottom line is if P-burg gets "pass happy" against NCC/Desales it will be a long game but if they can mix things up a bit they have a chance.
I would have to agree that we do need to mix it up a little better to keep the defense honest. But i wish it was with something other than jet sweep. I'm not a big fan of it. We have a tank at FB in Kain Collins that in my opinion is not used enough. That kid will truck you.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I don't think we're one dimensional. Our defense just shoots themselves in the foot with mental mistakes. Like trying to strip the ball instead of just tackling. But I will say that if you can spread our defense out and play turnover free football you'll likely beat us.

I agree that they are not one dimensional. Not the team I saw anyway. Very disciplined routes and running. I think beating Corbin is going to be hard to do at Corbin. But if they survive that, histrically the schools traveling to the mountains have not faired well no matter the talent level they bring with them on the bus. I think the winner of the P'burg/ Corbin game will make it to Bowling Green.
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:I agree that they are not one dimensional. Not the team I saw anyway. Very disciplined routes and running. I think beating Corbin is going to be hard to do at Corbin. But if they survive that, histrically the schools traveling to the mountains have not faired well no matter the talent level they bring with them on the bus. I think the winner of the P'burg/ Corbin game will make it to Bowling Green.

Over NCC????? :popcorn:
all the way
I think that Pburg will win the region and then get beat by 3 td's against NCC
Hatz Wrote:Over NCC????? :popcorn:

Why be so shocked ?? NewCath is very good this year, but they are NOT the juggernaut they had a few years ago.

Prestonsburg's passing game can be quite the wildcard. Defenses who don't put good pressure on Crisp and/or don't have DB's athletic enough to stay with the Blackcat receivers will get burned. OTOH, when Crisp's throwing mechanics are disturbed (he rushes or starts throwing off the back foot) he can throw INT's with the worst of them - the Matewan game showed that.

I worry more about the Blackcat defense. MUCH more inconsistant this year - at times its looked great (Belfry, SC), but in others...it couldn't tackle (Breathitt Co !!).
Cat Daddy Wrote:When I say one dimensional I am not refering to your defense, I am refering to your offense. Against sub par teams P-burg has had success at running the football but it just seems to me when P-burg is in a close game they neglect to run the football and rely too much on the pass. I'm in now way saying they can't run the football against a good defensive team but they just choose not to for some reason. If you remember correctly last year this happened against Desales in the State Semis. The bottom line is if P-burg gets "pass happy" against NCC/Desales it will be a long game but if they can mix things up a bit they have a chance.

I get your point and coach John does mix up the offense, IMO. We run the jet sweep consistently to Jamerson & Williams. The sweep to Jamerson seems to be more effective, but we aren't a team that will try and beat you between the tackles. We try and outrun you to the sideline.

Like oneijoe said, if you can put pressure on Crisp then our passing game is in trouble, but if you let him throw the ball, then the opposing defense is in trouble because our receivers will get open.
Hatz Wrote:Over NCC????? :popcorn:

Read the whole post about the travel part to Eastern KY. I actually think that P'burg has a better shot than Corbin to knock somebody off. The Mountain Parkway has sent many really, really good teams home for the winter this time of year. Traveling down I-75 to Corbin is an easy drive from NKY or L'ville. But once you hit the Parkway in Winchester, things change alot. Not saying it will happen but you should not be so shocked if it does.

Had this been the situation last year, P'burg is in Bowling Green and not DeSales.
Here's something I've been wondering...

Do you guys think Coach D. is prepping Grant Anderson for a bigger role in the playoffs ? And if so...how do you see him being used ?

I've noticed he's been getting more varsity playing time as the 2nd half of the year has progressed. He easily appears the most elusive back on the team. It's been a very long time since P-burg has had a real speedster in its backfield.
oneijoe Wrote:Here's something I've been wondering...

Do you guys think Coach D. is prepping Grant Anderson for a bigger role in the playoffs ? And if so...how do you see him being used ?

I've noticed he's been getting more varsity playing time as the 2nd half of the year has progressed. He easily appears the most elusive back on the team. It's been a very long time since P-burg has had a real speedster in its backfield.

I definitely think so. The only reason he has not been a bigger part so far is he had a broke thumb or hand at the beginning of the season. I personally think he could be a bigger part of the running game if he can learn this is varsity hits not JV & protect the ball better. He is very quick & will lower his shoulder & try to run over you. Other than Kain Collins i think he is our hardest RB. Jamerson & Williams have the speed but usually are not the type to lower there shoulders when they see contact coming. I think he will be utilized at corner mostly. He has the speed & athleticism to cover most anyone. With the help of Nathan Slone, Joe Jamerson, & Bryson Williams this is a tough defensive backfield to contend with. I know they have been suspect at times, but they come through when it matters most. They will have Anderson at corner & move Slone to safety where he could be really dangerous. We will find out tonight when we face our first truely passing team which has one heck of a QB in Boggs & several speedy receivers to contend with. I think the boys in black will be up for the challenge though. Senior Night so Griffith, Stovall, & Kendrick at LB & Turner on the line will be looking to get presure on Boggs & Slone will be waiting for a pick 6.
Cat Daddy Wrote:The Blackcat's will defeat Corbin for the regional championship only to fall at home in the state semi finals to NCC. P-burg is a very solid team but they are too one dimensional on offense and they don't have enough depth to play with NCC for an entire game.

:Thumbs:
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:I definitely think so. The only reason he has not been a bigger part so far is he had a broke thumb or hand at the beginning of the season. I personally think he could be a bigger part of the running game if he can learn this is varsity hits not JV & protect the ball better. He is very quick & will lower his shoulder & try to run over you. Other than Kain Collins i think he is our hardest RB. Jamerson & Williams have the speed but usually are not the type to lower there shoulders when they see contact coming. I think he will be utilized at corner mostly. He has the speed & athleticism to cover most anyone. With the help of Nathan Slone, Joe Jamerson, & Bryson Williams this is a tough defensive backfield to contend with. I know they have been suspect at times, but they come through when it matters most. They will have Anderson at corner & move Slone to safety where he could be really dangerous. We will find out tonight when we face our first truely passing team which has one heck of a QB in Boggs & several speedy receivers to contend with. I think the boys in black will be up for the challenge though. Senior Night so Griffith, Stovall, & Kendrick at LB & Turner on the line will be looking to get presure on Boggs & Slone will be waiting for a pick 6.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense on the defensive side. Slone is more experienced and a surer tackler. That makes him better suited to reading the opposing QB and helping vs. the running game.

How do you see his role on the offensive side ?? Anything more than what we're seeing now ?
There's no doubt that Coach D has been preparing Grant Anderson for the playoffs. Everyone knows about Jamerson and Williams on the offensive side of the ball and there will be many double teams and defensive adjustments made because of these two playmakers. Teams won't account for Anderson and he will have is coming out party. This kid is something special. Not only is he extremely talented but he has a certain toughness about him that makes him an unbelievable competitor. As far as the defense goes, Anderson and Slone will be the corners and Jamerson and Williams will be patrolling the middle of the field because of their knack for the ball
Irish#1 Wrote:There's no doubt that Coach D has been preparing Grant Anderson for the playoffs. Everyone knows about Jamerson and Williams on the offensive side of the ball and there will be many double teams and defensive adjustments made because of these two playmakers. Teams won't account for Anderson and he will have is coming out party. This kid is something special. Not only is he extremely talented but he has a certain toughness about him that makes him an unbelievable competitor. As far as the defense goes, Anderson and Slone will be the corners and Jamerson and Williams will be patrolling the middle of the field because of their knack for the ball

This /\ /\

Anderson is a playmaker. Anyone who watches the game can tell that. He has probably better vision than anyone at Prestonsburg since Seth Hyden, who I always thought had the best vision of any RB ever at Prestonsburg. This kid prepares for cutbacks and cuts that may be yards away from ever developing. But the best thing about him is, as small as he is, he is a North-South runner and he is fearless. He may make some cutbacks that leave you breathless, but all the while he is gaining positive yards. That is something you just can't teach. As mentioned before, he is still dealing with the effects of a preseason broken thumb, and the tape he has to deal with on that hand had led him to fumble a few times, but man is he exciting. He just adds a new dimension to the team.

Offense is not the problem with this team. Even in the aberration, er....loss to Breathitt County, Pburg scored 28 while playing horribly. They have proven they can put points on the board.

Defense is the key. Losing Griffith for 3 weeks hurt, but now that he is back, it is going to be interesting to see how they play going forward. If they can make the effort against Belfry/SC the NORM, then we may get to see NCC/DeSales make the long bus ride to the friendly confines of Blackcat Stadium...