Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covington Catholic 40 Dixie Heights 36
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Johnson Central closing the gap on Fort Thomas Highlands? Dream on, Eagle Pride 90. That gap will never narrow.

Wideleft01 Wrote:Covcath has never and will never be "multitudes" ahead of Highlands.

Wow, people are very quick to throw around the word "never."
Wideleft01 Wrote:Covcath has never and will never be "multitudes" ahead of Highlands.
Maybe you like the term "clearly superior" better. In 2006, Highlands finished 7-5 with two losses to 12-3 state champion Covington Catholic. Johnson Central led CovCath at halftime that season and were still down by only a touchdown and driving in the Colonels' territory in the third quarter when its star fullback/linebacker Blake Johnson went out with a career ending knee injury.

Covington Catholic was the best team in the region in 2006 but if Johnson Central had been in the same district, it would have been a good battle between the Golden Eagles and the Birds for the second seed.

With all of the talk about NKY football being "multitudes" better than eastern Kentucky football, it is pretty clear that Highlands has been the only consistently dominant team in NKY since 2006. Johnson Central would have done just fine in a district with Highlands, Covington Catholic, Dixie, and Scott, and Ashland would also have been competitive with every team other than Highlands during that period.

Sorry for the threadjacking. It sounds like Covington Catholic should be much more competitive in the playoffs this season.

At what point in the game did the Dixie players get injured and what kind of impact did it have on the outcome?
Not overly impressed with either Covcath or Dixie. IMO 2 bad teams.
Wideleft01 Wrote:Not overly impressed with either Covcath or Dixie. IMO 2 bad teams.

IMO, bad teams don't keep the score close against Highlands.
khsgamenight Wrote:Wow, people are very quick to throw around the word "never."

How about, "not in our lifetime"? Is that better?

I have nothing against Johnson Central. I wish them well. However, I am a realist.

Fort Thomas Highlands is the New York Yankees of public high school football in Kentucky.
JC, and all the others, have a long, long way to go to remotely narrow the gap.

Notice I said "public" because Louisville Trinity and Louisville Saint Xavier are certainly
equal to the Bluebirds. However, no one else is near the "Trophy Room".
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:How about, "not in our lifetime"? Is that better?

I have nothing against Johnson Central. I wish them well. However, I am a realist.

Fort Thomas Highlands is the New York Yankees of public high school football in Kentucky.
JC, and all the others, have a long, long way to go to remotely narrow the gap.

Notice I said "public" because Louisville Trinity and Louisville Saint Xavier are certainly
equal to the Bluebirds. However, no one else is near the "Trophy Room".
I think you may find a few folks at Mayfield, Danville, Beechwood, Boyle Co. and perhaps a few other places that might take exception to your statement. They may not have quite as many, but they still have a very respectable collection of hardware themselves.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Maybe you like the term "clearly superior" better. In 2006, Highlands finished 7-5 with two losses to 12-3 state champion Covington Catholic. Johnson Central led CovCath at halftime that season and were still down by only a touchdown and driving in the Colonels' territory in the third quarter when its star fullback/linebacker Blake Johnson went out with a career ending knee injury.

Covington Catholic was the best team in the region in 2006 but if Johnson Central had been in the same district, it would have been a good battle between the Golden Eagles and the Birds for the second seed.

With all of the talk about NKY football being "multitudes" better than eastern Kentucky football, it is pretty clear that Highlands has been the only consistently dominant team in NKY since 2006. Johnson Central would have done just fine in a district with Highlands, Covington Catholic, Dixie, and Scott, and Ashland would also have been competitive with every team other than Highlands during that period.

Sorry for the threadjacking. It sounds like Covington Catholic should be much more competitive in the playoffs this season.

At what point in the game did the Dixie players get injured and what kind of impact did it have on the outcome?

But even in 06, CovCath wasn't clearly superior to Highlands; at least not as I understand the term clearly superior. The first win by CovCath in 06happened on the last play of the game via an absolutely perfectly thrown ball and catch (think JC vs Ashland last year at JC in the regular season). I watched that game at JC and no objective observer would say that JC was clearly superior to Ashland in that game; one might use the word "fortunate". I personally don't think the better team that day in the regular season game between Highlands and CovCath won in 06.

In the playoff game in 06, CovCath did win by 10 and I doubt you'd find more than a handful of folks that thought CovCath had a clearly superior team to Highlands in that game. It didn't take a miracle type pass to beat Highlands in the playoff game, but it wasn't like CovCath just dominated or was clearly superior to Highlands in that game. Actually both teams were pretty close to one another in talent in 06. Highlands lack of a passing game really hurt them that year. CovCath on the other hand had a very balanced and good offense. The better team that day in the playoff game in 06 won.

Having said all that, I do think the Eagles would have given Highlands a good battle for second in the district in 06. Heck, they would have obviously given CovCath a battle for the number one seed that year. All three teams were pretty darn close to one another from my observations.
Bob Seger Wrote:I think you may find a few folks at Mayfield, Danville, Beechwood, Boyle Co. and perhaps a few other places that might take exception to your statement. They may not have quite as many, but they still have a very respectable collection of hardware themselves.

All fine schools with truly winning traditions and nice trophy cases. All are far ahead of Johnson Central in accomplishment. However, none of them are at the level of Trinity, St. Xavier, and Highlands. That's not a slam at the others. It is merely a fact.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:All fine schools with truly winning traditions and nice trophy cases. All are far ahead of Johnson Central in accomplishment. However, none of them are at the level of Trinity, St. Xavier, and Highlands. That's not a slam at the others. It is merely a fact.

lol.....I dont think that I even remotely implied anything otherwise, did I?
If Johnson central gets to play highlands I will be in attendance but I hope my tomcats get there chance at the eagles first any word on the kids from Dixie
People outside the state of Ky will be the first to tell you. There's only 3 teams in the entire state that have the respect of everyone.(Trinity, Highlands, and St. X). The others need to go play games in Cincinnati or Indy.