Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg 56 Shelby Valley 34
Final.
congrats to P-burg
Congrats p-burg.
I was told there was some offensive explosion for both teams in the first half and Pburg pulled away in the second, anybody have an stats?
Congrats Blackcats!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
SV played great offensively. Smith, Roberts, and their QB make a very good trio. Smith may be the most elusive, dynamic offensive player Prestonsburg has played all year.

Prestonsburg played very well on offense also. Crisp had all day to throw, and the running game was clicking too. Both Prestonsburg's offense and SV's offense gets 50 gold stars tonight.

Defensively, on the other hand, was a different matter. Both teams struggled, but in the end Prestonsburg came up with enough stops to open the game up. This game was never really out of reach for SV until late in the 4th.

Both teams have things to improve on, and both teams have things to be proud of, but it was really difficult to focus on the positives of the game for either team, and that leads me to this:

I have played alot of football, coached alot of football on different levels, and Lord knows, I have watched alot of football. This was without a doubt the WORST officiating crew I have ever seen. Anyone who has read any of my previous posts during my time here knows I very rarely criticize the officials, with the exception of 1 crew in particular who consistently is disproportionate against Prestonsburg. However, this crew may have been the worst I have ever seen, and that is saying something.

The dirty little secret of officiating is that a penalty can be called on most plays from scrimmage, if not all plays from scrimmage. The variables are how closely the officials are watching the line of scrimmage, how much the officials are willing to let the Offensive linemen use their hands (grab jerseys), and the like. My point is, most of it comes down to how each official interprets the rules, how he watches the game, and how much he is willing to let the players get by with. That is the fact of officiating. If I'm not mistaken (and the numbers provided are based upon radio stats...), the flags thrown were 10-Prestonsburg and 1-Shelby Valley IN THE FIRST HALF. For sure, there were some times when Prestonsburg obviously jumped, however, when the margin is that large for ONE HALF, something is amiss. The lone SV penalty came with about a minute left in the half when the stands had grown so tired of the flags being thrown against Prestonsburg that a mutinous riot was beginning to emerge. Prestonsburg then opens the second half with 3 more flags within the first 2 minutes. Later on, the officials finally threw some flags against SV, but by then the game was academic. At one point in the game, the flags were 13-Pburg, 1-SV. It was very, very, very obvious that the officials were actively looking for a reason to flag Prestonsburg, and when that happens to ANY team, there is a huge problem. I don't want to get into specifics about each horrible call, but ridiculous is the word that comes to mind.

Like I said, I try to remain objective in my statements about officials. But this crew was something else. If this is the best our district can do for a game that decided the district championship, then we are in big, big trouble.

Thank God there were no major injuries in this game for either team.

Good luck to SV in the playoffs, and Congrats to the Blackcats for another District Championship.
Prestonsburg had around 330 yardS of offense to Shelby Valley's 180 or so at halftime. we may have had as many penalty yards as SV had total yards in the first half alone. Prestonsburg had 14 penalties in the first half to SV's 1. I left the game with 6 minutes to go and the penalty count was Prestonsburg with 17 and SV with 5. All-in-all, the officials were absolutely terrible.

I will say that SV did play with Prestonsburg early in this game and moved the ball on our defense, but we made stops when we had to after the 1st quarter and our offense was unstoppable as Adam Crisp had a field day out there in the pocket. Bryson Williams & Joseph Jamerson had big games also. Our offensive line looked great! Our defense wasn't clicking tonight, as they did make some stops, but they didn't tackle very well at all.

I was impressed with SV, as the trio of Roberts, Smith, and the QB was very good and hard to stop. They were most of the offense tonight for SV.

Congrats Blackcats on yet another district championship!
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Prestonsburg had around 330 yardS of offense to Shelby Valley's 180 or so at halftime. we may have had as many penalty yards as SV had total yards in the first half alone. Prestonsburg had 14 penalties in the first half to SV's 1. I left the game with 6 minutes to go and the penalty count was Prestonsburg with 17 and SV with 5. All-in-all, the officials were absolutely terrible.

I will say that SV did play with Prestonsburg early in this game and moved the ball on our defense, but we made stops when we had to after the 1st quarter and our offense was unstoppable as Adam Crisp had a field day out there in the pocket. Bryson Williams & Joseph Jamerson had big games also. Our offensive line looked great! Our defense wasn't clicking tonight, as they did make some stops, but they didn't tackle very well at all.

I was impressed with SV, as the trio of Roberts, Smith, and the QB was very good and hard to stop. They were most of the offense tonight for SV.

Congrats Blackcats on yet another district championship!

Thanks for the stats. And it appears like the officiating was worse than even I imagined...

I don't want anyone to think that Prestonsburg fans have some sort of misguided opinion of "If the official throws 5 flags against Prestonsburg, then they should also throw 5 against the opposing team." Nothing is further from the truth. Obvious penalties (offsides...delay of game..etc.) are what they are. However, when there is such a discrepency in the number of OBJECTIVE penalties, there is an obvious problem of incompetency on behalf of the crew, OR there is an agenda. As funny as it sounds, I just hope the problem was an incompetent crew...
Congragulations Blackcats!
Congrats Bryson and rest of Blackcat team!
Congrats Blackcats!
Closer than I expected. Congrats Pburg.
Congrats to Pburg on another district title, I really thought Shelby Valley was gonna pull this one out til around mid way through the third.

Great Game by Shelby Valleys backfield. Tim Smith put big numbers again, and had a 80 yard kickoff return. Lucas Fields played really hard for Valley too, and Norman played a good game at QB.
Congrats P-Burg
Congrats P-Burg
SV is not as bad a everybody may have thought early on. They have played alot of good teams. With all the talent they lost last year to graduation I will say coach Norman has done a good job. Smith is a heck of a player, Fields is good too and their qb Norman has really stepped up and became the team's leader.
Didnt think the wildcats would put this many points up.
DOUBLEWINGER Wrote:SV is not as bad a everybody may have thought early on. They have played alot of good teams. With all the talent they lost last year to graduation I will say coach Norman has done a good job. Smith is a heck of a player, Fields is good too and their qb Norman has really stepped up and became the team's leader.

If SV could work in more passes, other than throw it up to Roberts, then they'd have one heck of an offense. They have speed and a pretty good line. Their defense on the other hand isn't nearly as good as the offense, but it's still good enough to create opportunities for their offense.
congrats p-burg !!!!!
Shelby valley is getting a lot better in a hurry, they're offense is just so much better now . I really believe that Valley could meet pburg again in the regional title, their schedule has prepared them to play tough, heck they played pburg last Friday , and get pulaski this weekend.

I like Valley to go a roll and win a couple games in the playoffs
Congrats PBURG on the district championship. Your offense is extremely good, and Williams and Jamerson are pretty tough to cover.

Shelby Valley is getting a lot better each week. I really feel come playoff time that they will be hitting their stride. This is truely only the 4th week running their offense.

It was a great crowd/enviorment at Valley friday, and the boys played their hearts out. Just gonna have to get a little better at Blocking and Tackling.
Good win for the Blackcats as excepted. Congrats P-Burg.
Congrats to the Mighty Blackcats & there high powered offense. Lord knows they needed Friday night. Great game by Adam Crisp, B. Williams, & Jamerson. The Smith kid, B J Roberts, & Norman for SV made it interesting.
P'burgs 4th straight District Title.
The Iceboxx Wrote:Congrats PBURG on the district championship. Your offense is extremely good, and Williams and Jamerson are pretty tough to cover.

The core of excitement for Prestonsburg fans is the fact Jamerson and QB Crisp are Juniors and Williams is a Sophomore.

Prestonsburg's passing game isn't going anywhere for a good long awhile. :popcorn:
oneijoe Wrote:The core of excitement for Prestonsburg fans is the fact Jamerson and QB Crisp are Juniors and Williams is a Sophomore.

Prestonsburg's passing game isn't going anywhere for a good long awhile. :popcorn:

PLUS....This year's JV team is a beast. The freshman and Sophmore classes at Prestonsburg are loaded with size, talent, speed, aggressiveness, and toughness. Best JV team I have seen in quite some time.

Adams Middle School is sending up an outstanding group of 8th graders for next year too.

The future is very, very bright for Prestonsburg. Having to play District 7 in the new realigned 2a will be tough, but Prestonsburg may be in the middle of a long, long successful run.
Not to mention freshman speedster, Grant Anderson will have another year to mature.

This team will be very good next season!
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Not to mention freshman speedster, Grant Anderson will have another year to mature.

This team will be very good next season!

Yes, but that will come only after the new players in the trenches get used to the speed of varsity football. There'll be a lot of experience there to make up.
oneijoe Wrote:Yes, but that will come only after the new players in the trenches get used to the speed of varsity football. There'll be a lot of experience there to make up.

Good point about the speed of the game, but there is alot of potential waiting in the wings. Next year, Prestonsburg will have great size and great speed...something that doesn't happen too often in these parts. It's usually a surplus of one or the other. 2 sophmore linemen, Derek Newsome and Kinsey Van Dine, get tons of playing time on the varsity level, with Newsome starting every game at OT and Van Dine getting spot starts at DT. The Griffith twins are making great strides, and Clay Lemaster is progressing nicely. Freshmen linemen Austin Reheard and Madison Wright are big, strong, and quick. Next year, they will need to replace Trevor Stovall, Max Turner, and Alex Griffith. No small task, but there is young talent waiting. 2 years from now is when the losses in the trenches will be huge, but hopefully by then we will have reloaded. Plus, Adams has a couple of really big linemen coming up next year that can play...
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:Congrats to the Mighty Blackcats & there high powered offense. Lord knows they needed Friday night. Great game by Adam Crisp, B. Williams, & Jamerson. The Smith kid, B J Roberts, & Norman for SV made it interesting.
P'burgs 4th straight District Title.

Bj Roberts did have a good game.

up in the stands.

cause he graduated.
Sorry i got the name wrong my bad.... should have been Rusty Roberts.