Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warren Central 17, Bowling Green 14
Bowling Green lead 14-0 in the 3rd.

Warren Central scores 17 unanswered, they got a short field on their second touchdown after a Bowling Green fumble.

Warren Central freshman kicker knocks through a 29 yard field goal as time expired for the win
WOW!! Sounded like a dandy! Congrats WC.
shocker, congrats WC
I'd love to hear some details about this one... congrats WC!
Anyone have stats or details?
http://www.bgdailynews.com/articles/2010...ports1.txt

I'd like to write a nice long post, but I'm too tired from celebrating. Great game.
The Dragons wanted it more. Don't get me wrong, it was a great high school football game but Bowling Green got out coached. Coach Rogers had his team ready to play and really outplayed us all night. Both teams have very good defenses but it was clear that the Dragons had a better game plan on offense. We could not stop them on the corners or up the middle and I think when we got up 14-0 late in the 3rd quarter our defense put it on cruise control and the Dragons put it in overdrive. I think the Dragons only threw 2 or 3 passes all night. They just ran it down our throats and made us like it. Warren Central has several players going both ways and I think our coaches were counting on them to get tired in the 4th quarter but for the district championship they were ready and looked their best in the 4th quarter. I think we may see these same two teams playing at Dragon Field for the Regional Championship in a few weeks. It would be an awesome game to watch. I'm glad Warren Central has returned to playing like they did a decade ago. It really isn't as fun watching the Purples dominating everybody in our district every year. With Coach Rogers I think at least Central will be in the hunt for a long time. Congrats to The Dragons. It was a great High School football game and I'm already looking forward to our next meeting. I'll let Dragonfire give you all the stats. He's the football guru in this part of the state and he calls it like he sees it.
Congrats Warren Central. I expected Bowling Green to win this one.
adopted purple Wrote:The Dragons wanted it more. Don't get me wrong, it was a great high school football game but Bowling Green got out coached.
Bowling Green never trailed the entire game until the last play of the game? Sounds like it was a good game.
Thunder Lips Wrote:Bowling Green never trailed the entire game until the last play of the game? Sounds like it was a good game.

Bowling Green got outscored 17-0 in the 4th quarter. I've watched almost every game the last 18 years and I don't think that has ever happened. Warren Central earned the win and I think there were several coaching errors by our head coach especially in the 4th quarter. I have never bashed our head coach because we win most of the time and I think he has one of the best coaching staffs in the state, but he calls the offensive plays and I have disagreed with him many times about play calling. I do want to add that I'm not a coach and he is a very good one. So please take that into consideration when reading any of my posts.
Getting outscored 17-0 tells me BG played not to lose instead of putting the game away by playing the say way they did in getting to the 14-0 lead
stardust Wrote:getting outscored 17-0 tells me bg played not to lose instead of putting the game away by playing the say way they did in getting to the 14-0 lead

Exactly! But Centrals defense had a lot to do with that too.
adopted purple Wrote:Bowling Green got outscored 17-0 in the 4th quarter. I've watched almost every game the last 18 years and I don't think that has ever happened. Warren Central earned the win and I think there were several coaching errors by our head coach especially in the 4th quarter. I have never bashed our head coach because we win most of the time and I think he has one of the best coaching staffs in the state, but he calls the offensive plays and I have disagreed with him many times about play calling. I do want to add that I'm not a coach and he is a very good one. So please take that into consideration when reading any of my posts.
I assume you disagreed with the decision to go for it on 4th down in the third quarter when the Purples were on Central's 29. I thought they should have attempted a field goal, it was a momentum shift.
sdub Wrote:I assume you disagreed with the decision to go for it on 4th down in the third quarter when the Purples were on Central's 29. I thought they should have attempted a field goal, it was a momentum shift.

Yep. Our kicker had a much better chance to make that one than the one from 50 yards in the 4th. quarter.
adopted purple Wrote:Yep. Our kicker had a much better chance to make that one than the one from 50 yards in the 4th. quarter.
Agreed
Congrats Warren Central, didnt except to see this.
Congrats WC
If these two teams meet again, I think the Purples would be well served to take to the air more. They had decent success doing so, far more than they did running. They got 139 through the air, 59 on the ground, 46 of which came from Hollis. In other words, Scooter Hollis accounted for 93% of Bowling Green's total offense on the game. Nacarius Fant had a huge game, and that kid is going to be a superstar. Only a freshman, had almost 100 yards receiving, a TD, and a 41 yard catch in double coverage. I was very impressed.

Coach Wallace said on his coach's show that they attempted to run so much because they didn't want to fall into the trap they did last year, where they threw the ball incomplete so much, giving Central the ball back and letting them dominate the clock. They obviously weren't able to do that, though they did manage to bleed 8 minutes off the clock in their major third quarter drive for a nearly game-winning TD. They converted several third downs on that drive, and it could have been the backbreaker. Fortunately, WC fought back and BG's offense wasn't able to do enough from that point forward.

On the subject of the decision to go for it on 4th Down, Coach Wallace indicated he had lost track of the down. That may be, but the reality is it still would have been a 46 yard FG. I know May is capable of getting that, but it was no chippy, and not all that different from a 50 yard FG that came nowhere near being good. I think it was very justifiable to go for it, they just didn't get it. That wasn't what killed them, the fumble on their own 37 is what killed them. At that point WC was down 7 with around 7 minutes left in the game, and they made the most of their good starting position. It meant that instead of having to use up clock to go for the tying score, they got the tie quickly, and left time to drive for the win once they got the ball back after the Bowling Green miss.

Warren Central for their part seemed to really stun Bowling Green with how well they ran the ball. I'd talked to a few people who indicated that Coach Grif would never allow Warren Central to go off for 200+ rushing again. Central not only did that, they rushed for 48 more yards than they did last year. They outgained the Purples by 79 yards, and the only thing they did not do right most of the night was finish off the drives in the first half. And that's been a problem for the Dragons in tougher games this year, finishing drives. Against both Christian County and Nelson County, they usually drove well until they hit the 20-30 yard line, and then stalled. The killer Friday was usually penalties, as well as a turnover. They threw an INT on a badly underthrown ball on their first drive, had a chop block to negate a TD on their second, and the worst came on their fourth drive. They started from their own 34, and Demonte Smith broke a run up to around the Bowling Green 25. They got a block in the back call around the BG 40 (legitimate - I saw it), and then one of the coaches got a personal foul arguing it, which was one of the dumbest things I'd ever seen. I swear I wanted to strangle that coach to death, costing the team 15 yards like that. Long and short of it is that it left them with a 1st and 25 on their own 33 instead of being at least around midfield. That helped give Bowling Green the ball back with enough time to score before the end of the half. Central only had one real possession in the third, which was the turnover that led to the BG attempt on 4th down. But when they got into the 4th Quarter, they finally finished drives, scoring on each possession on drives of 73 (TD), 34 (TD), and 64 (FG) yards. All three of Warren Central's running backs averaged better than 5.7 YPC, with Eric Brown topping out at 8.1 YPC and Demonte Smith leading the team with 126 yards on the ground.

Overall, I felt Warren Central outplayed Bowling Green, as they did the previous year. Whether that's coaching or whatever, I don't know. I do know that you would not expect Warren Central to dominate Bowling Green's rushing game with the size of BG's line, but they did. The Dragons were the more physical team, and in the 4th Quarter that catapulted them to victory. The day could have easily been Bowling Green's, so these two teams are fairly even. I just want the Dragons to start getting the respect I think they deserve. Sure, I thought Bowling Green would win, but you'd think that Warren Central wasn't a top 10 team by the surprise of some at the result. It's like earlier in the year when we were talking 5A teams that could make noise and someone listed Greenwood without any thought of Warren Central. The Dragons under Coach Rogers are very, very dangerous. He has done this with the tatter remnants of a program that had fallen very far. Right now the numbers are still not up where he wants them, and I'm excited to see what he may have when he gets them.

The Purples will be fine, but they do have a more difficult path now, having to travel to Christian County (probably) in the second round, before getting the Warren Central/Owensboro/Grayson County survivor in the region. They've got to get Green healthy again, and figure out how to run the ball better against the likes of Warren Central. But as I said at the top, I think their passing game is where it's at. Very impressed by it. The CC/BG game should be a war.
I do know that you would not expect Warren Central to dominate Bowling Green's rushing game with the size of BG's line, but they did.

Centrals defensive line controlled the line of scrimmage all night. You could see our big boys coming off the field frustrated. They are not use to that. I hope this is a wake up call and we will match up again in about a month. It has all the makings for a classic.
Stardust Wrote:Getting outscored 17-0 tells me BG played not to lose instead of putting the game away by playing the say way they did in getting to the 14-0 lead

Sounds like Highlands over the past few games. Confusedhh: Gotta kill when your foot is on the throat.
I'll reserve judgement on both of these teams until the playoffs. BG has won Region 1 four out of the past 5 years so they know what it's about. The thing that would scare me about Central is their offense. They don't score a lot of points against strong teams. They were shut out for 3 qtrs against BG before scoring 17 in the 4th. Has BG ever givin up a lead like that?
Thunder Lips Wrote:I'll reserve judgement on both of these teams until the playoffs. BG has won Region 1 four out of the past 5 years so they know what it's about. The thing that would scare me about Central is their offense. They don't score a lot of points against strong teams. They were shut out for 3 qtrs against BG before scoring 17 in the 4th. Has BG ever givin up a lead like that?

I can't recall a game where a team has made a comeback on the Purples like that.
Thunder Lips Wrote:I'll reserve judgement on both of these teams until the playoffs. BG has won Region 1 four out of the past 5 years so they know what it's about. The thing that would scare me about Central is their offense. They don't score a lot of points against strong teams. They were shut out for 3 qtrs against BG before scoring 17 in the 4th. Has BG ever givin up a lead like that?

When Warren Central loses in the postseason, it will absolutely be because the offense didn't punch it in. As I said above, their problem is not moving the ball, it is finishing the drive. They made deep movements into Purple territory on Friday before the 4th Quarter, but either had a penalty, a turnover, or a Bowling Green stop that ended the drive. They punted twice from the 35-40, usually because it was 4th and long. Warren Central is very much an "on schedule" team, in that they need to pick up positive yardage to make their third and fourth downs manageable, or else they've got a problem.I believe Bowling Green punched it in on both of their red zone possessions. That's what good offenses do, they finish it when they get in close.

It's tough to say exactly what happened to Bowling Green in the 4th. I don't know if Warren Central's physicality finally wore them down, whether they decelerated before realizing they shouldn't have, or whatever. I just know Central moved the ball fine before, but they finally punched it in. Were there more time on the clock, I'd say the final score was likely going to be a TD. Bowling Green didn't seem like they had the ability at all to stop them by that point.
[quote=DragonFire]When Warren Central loses in the postseason, it will absolutely be because the offense didn't punch it in. As I said above, their problem is not moving the ball, it is finishing the drive. They made deep movements into Purple territory on Friday before the 4th Quarter, but either had a penalty, a turnover, or a Bowling Green stop that ended the drive. They punted twice from the 35-40, usually because it was 4th and long. Warren Central is very much an "on schedule" team, in that they need to pick up positive yardage to make their third and fourth downs manageable, or else they've got a problem.I believe Bowling Green punched it in on both of their red zone possessions. That's what good offenses do, they finish it when they get in close.

It's tough to say exactly what happened to Bowling Green in the 4th. I don't know if Warren Central's physicality finally wore them down, whether they decelerated before realizing they shouldn't have, or whatever. I just know Central moved the ball fine before, but they finally punched it in. Were there more time on the clock, I'd say the final score was likely going to be a TD. Bowling Green didn't seem like they had the ability at all to stop them by that point.

I agree. It just looked like they were tired to me.
BTW, I read in the media notes for the Barren County game that Bowling Green's records went back to 1996 (linescores I presume), and had no record of a 14 point lead blown in a loss. I did research beyond that point, and it was the first lead of 14 or more blown since 1986, in a 21-20 loss in the season opener to Glasgow. Bowling Green led that game 20-0. That's not a 14+ lead blown in the 4th Quarter, but at any point in the game. I'm back into the 70s, and I can't find any record of one being blown in the 4th Quarter.
DragonFire Wrote:BTW, I read in the media notes for the Barren County game that Bowling Green's records went back to 1996 (linescores I presume), and had no record of a 14 point lead blown in a loss. I did research beyond that point, and it was the first lead of 14 or more blown since 1986, in a 21-20 loss in the season opener to Glasgow. Bowling Green led that game 20-0. That's not a 14+ lead blown in the 4th Quarter, but at any point in the game. I'm back into the 70s, and I can't find any record of one being blown in the 4th Quarter.

I sure didn't remember a loss like that one in the last 20 years. I'm sure Coach Wallace reminded them about it. I'm hoping it was the last one. Thanks for checking that out DragonFire. I told these Moderators you were the Guru of Western Kentucky football. We appreciate your help.